Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2014, 19:23   #136
BHPian

re: Suzuki Inazuma 250cc launched. *UPDATE* Price slashed by 1 lakh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
You never intended to buy this, but some of us including your's truly was looking forward to this, so forgive us for being dissappointed with Suzuki.
4x4addict, now you got what I am saying. I am batting for people like you and me. The thing is, Suzuki bought the bike to India. This gave you, the consumer, more choice. It is only because they came to India with this bike, were you able to say yes/no to it. Some others might still go ahead and buy the bike because they want a 250 CC twin cylinder which can take a pillion comfortably.

Also, when Suzuki priced it they would not price it to expect 100% profit. So from that perspective, they would have known the buyer has other options at below 3 lacs. They could have not launched it at all if they felt there was no market for it. Instead, I am glad they did it. They may do market correction and reduce or increase the price but all that is moot point if the bike dint make it to India.

Hence, I am glad they did what they did. It is only good for the Indian motorbiking scene.

I understand, this launch and pricing brings you back to square one

You should consider a used N250R too. I had thoughts of selling mine last year but I held on. But that discussion is for a different thread I guess

Last edited by ak916 : 21st January 2014 at 19:28.
Old 21st January 2014, 19:57   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak916 View Post
4x4addict, now you got what I am saying. I am batting for people like you and me. The thing is, Suzuki bought the bike to India. This gave you, the consumer, more choice. It is only because they came to India with this bike, were you able to say yes/no to it.
The really sad thing about all this is that I may ending up owning one after I get out of the ECU.
Old 21st January 2014, 20:38   #138
BHPian

Re: Inazuma ! Suzuki's 250cc for India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Get that Old Libero reminding headlights and that weird looking mudguards and this is one tasteful bike! I mean, its got nice proportional looks (again, minus that headlight and mudguard) and does not go overboard in terms of its overall design. I also like the dash of chrome used on the bike! like it! like!
Agree with you on the Old Libero styling.
To my taste, the bike looks really odd.
The lines are going in all directions. Snazzy lines with a roundish headlamp, I felt.
This looks more like an old 125CC commuter bike that we never used to notice.
Old 21st January 2014, 20:54   #139
BHPian

no matter how you look at it , it looks bad. KTM with its naked off road styling or the fully faired options from the japanese manufacturers all look their price tag and way better than this. Comfortable touring you say ? If you can afford a 3.2 l bike in india , it should be possible to stretch the budget upto 4.5l and get the 500cc HD-street , atleast it looks worth the price tag. End of the day , irrespective of what it retails for in US or EU , it is grossly overpriced when compared to competitors in the indian market . Even ninja is overpriced but atleast it gives you a certain distinction of owning a direct sibling in every sense of an elite class SBK , all you get with the suzuki is a 250cc p-twin within an otherwise unremarkable motorcycle .

All this said , it should be encouraged that japs are releasing their p-twins in india , hopefully prices will go down to sensible level once they all start rolling out their products. Will pick a used one up after 2-4 years and remodel it into a cafe racer
Old 21st January 2014, 21:02   #140
BHPian

Quote:
The most depressing and irritating thing about a new launch is messages by people saying how it is overpriced. CBR, R15, N250r, Hyosung 250, Triumph, Conti GT etc are examples. And the poll doesn't mean anything. Do we know if those people who replied really had any intention of buying the bike anyway? Or are they now going to buy another bike?

And a twin cylinder, 250CC for 1.2 lacs? or 1.7 lacs?? really? The bike that retails at 4k usd or 2.7k GBP should be sold here for 1.2 to 1.7 lacs? Interesting.

I have no intention of buying this bike either. But I am very happy that I can see options being available in the market. I am glad Suzuki bought the bike to India. I personally don't like the way it looks but this bike will make sense for a particular segment of customers, surely.

For all those commenting on the price, please try and think back to 2008. We either had to buy an R15 or "port" our RXs and watch them seize even when riding within the city.

Most potential buyers will be looking at this threads. Don't make them not want to objectively judge the bike because of your prejudices on pricing and what you think is too expensive for you.
Well said and it could not have been put better. Technically it is superior to a CBR 250 non-ABS (looks and presentation does not count on technical grounds) as it is a twin cylinder arrangement. I did 1300 kms on my CBR 250 ABS this weekend (Bangalore-Davangere-Goa-Murudeshwar-Jog Falls-Shimoga-Bangalore), and I'm qualified enough to say that it is not refined as you'd expect it to be for such long trips. My whole hand rattled after long drives and fingers were tingling. If Inazuma by such standards is more refined and a better tourer for longer distance, why not it. I bought CBR as I followed the herd. Few of us confused between cruiser (RE) and CBR opt the later due to technically being more reliable and less of starting problems. Inazuma will also tick those boxes (Fuel injected like Honda, has liquid cooling). I canceled cafe racer as I did not find it maneuverable like the CBR (and btw wrongly assumed that CBR is vibe free bike). Most of the time we attach unrealistic expectations from a manufacturer and at the end things look lemony. There is no ownership feedback too about Inazuma. I keep telling my colleague - just because my CBR has a fairing, it is not a sports bike. At lower RPMS, it is just a refined pulsar. Heck, even the pulsar has backlit buttons. Ergonomics, Reliability and Comfort (NVH) makes-or-breaks a product. Those who switched to CBR in search for reliable alternatives to RE won't find an issue to switch to Inazuma if it ticks all of the boxes. Put all the saddle bags, tank bags - Such tourers will not be even bothered how the bike looks at the parking lot. Its all about the ride - rather, wow the bike takes you there. Bikes are not always about exhaust note or the look - Its a mission for some of us and I will support the bikes who support us in our rides

Last edited by devsoftech : 21st January 2014 at 21:06.
devsoftech is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 00:52   #141
BHPian

Quote:
The most depressing and irritating thing about a new launch is messages by people saying how it is overpriced.
How many of the riders you know have complained that D390 was overpriced? Most riders can feel if the product is priced well or not. Same story about N650. People said that it was priced well. We all complained when N300 was priced. So, while you are free to feel depressed or irritated, we have the right to say it is overpriced. When a lot of people say that, it only means that.

Quote:
And a twin cylinder, 250CC for 1.2 lacs? or 1.7 lacs?? really? The bike that retails at 4k usd or 2.7k GBP should be sold here for 1.2 to 1.7 lacs? Interesting.
Positioning - That's the key. When N250R is priced in that range, you cannot put a plain jane 250CC, in a COMMUTER category and price it at 3.14. A lot less people would have complained if priced at 2 - 2.2L. Similarly, compare the pricing of D200 and D390 in GBP and INR.

Quote:
But I am very happy that I can see options being available in the market. I am glad Suzuki bought the bike to India. I personally don't like the way it looks but this bike will make sense for a particular segment of customers, surely.
What if Suzuki priced it at 5L? Would you still be happy to see it as an 'option' in the market? There are price ranges for which products 'make sense' - Beyond that, no one cares.

Quote:
Most potential buyers will be looking at this threads. Don't make them not want to objectively judge the bike because of your prejudices on pricing and what you think is too expensive for you.
If someone makes their decision because of sentiments in threads like these, they deserve to be influenced. Also, it is our duty to bat for them instead of Suzuki which brought this bike here. I will express my opinion if I think it is overpriced, and you don't think everyone who expressed their opinion are anti-Suzuki. We are being honest to ourselves here. One thing we can do less is your moral policing of not being 'prejudiced' or crying sour grapes. Certainly not for this bike.

Quote:
4x4addict, now you got what I am saying. I am batting for people like you and me. The thing is, Suzuki bought the bike to India. This gave you, the consumer, more choice. It is only because they came to India with this bike, were you able to say yes/no to it. Some others might still go ahead and buy the bike because they want a 250 CC twin cylinder which can take a pillion comfortably.
As said earlier, at this price point, it doesn't add to 'choice'

Quote:

Call it is overpriced. I like that word. I have used that word before myself. but please finish that sentence by saying things like - this retails elsewhere for x price and in India, it is priced at 100% over the price in that country, hence manufacturer ought to reduce the price by X%age.

Would you agree with that?
That's not the reason you call it overpriced - Comparing to options like CBR250R, Duke 390 and Ninja 300, this is clearly overpriced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devsoftech View Post
Well said and it could not have been put better. Technically it is superior to a CBR 250 non-ABS (looks and presentation does not count on technical grounds) as it is a twin cylinder arrangement.
Would like some objectivity here - Twin cylinder doesn't make it better.

Quote:
Such tourers will not be even bothered how the bike looks at the parking lot. Its all about the ride - rather, wow the bike takes you there. Bikes are not always about exhaust note or the look - Its a mission for some of us and I will support the bikes who support us in our rides
Who are these 'tourers' who would pay 3.75L - 4L OTR for a bike that looks likes this? All that we say is that the bike is priced terribly.
sriramv.iyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 02:09   #142
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
Who are these 'tourers' who would pay 3.75L - 4L OTR for a bike that looks likes this? All that we say is that the bike is priced terribly.
Along with this point I would like to add that the bike is terribly designed.

May be the designers were not paid their amounts or had a fight at home!

That kind of looks for a 3.2L bike is just not digestible be it smashing high performance. If a thing doesn't please the eye what will a person buy it!

Anurag.
Old 23rd January 2014, 07:59   #143
BHPian

Quote:

As said earlier, at this price point, it doesn't add to 'choice'

That's not the reason you call it overpriced - Comparing to options like CBR250R, Duke 390 and Ninja 300, this is clearly overpriced.

Would like some objectivity here - Twin cylinder doesn't make it better.
D390 in a twin cylinder arrangement would have been sold at 2.2 lacs? Or 2.4? What's your guess on that?

I repeat myself again. It doesn't matter to me what fate this bike meets but you have to at least accept you have choice now. No manufacturer will price a 2.2 lac bike at 3.1 lac. They aren't your company next door who is trying to build a bike for the first time. Pricing a product is one of the key parts of doing business. I don't think it would be economically viable for them to launch the bike at 1.7 lacs alongside a CBR 250.

Also, if they slapped a nice fairing on this bike, then am sure it would have made sense, no?

You always get what you pay for. A duke 390 is a bike that's worth the money you pay for it. If you are under the impression that it is actually a 3 lac rupee bike that duke is selling to enthusiasts in india at a special price of 2 lacs, then you are mistaken. Suzuki is saying that their product costs so much. That's all this price implies.

Its good they bought it. It could be a market flop. Doesn't matter to me. For the one putting his money down, it is another bike to consider. Its a choice I dint have when I was initially in the market for something below 6 lacs.

So you think it should have been priced at 1.5 lacs too? Just so they can "position" the bike correctly? Or should it have been lower?
Old 23rd January 2014, 11:25   #144
BHPian

Quote:
D390 in a twin cylinder arrangement would have been sold at 2.2 lacs? Or 2.4? What's your guess on that?
I have no take on that.

Quote:
I repeat myself again. It doesn't matter to me what fate this bike meets but you have to at least accept you have choice now. No manufacturer will price a 2.2 lac bike at 3.1 lac. They aren't your company next door who is trying to build a bike for the first time. Pricing a product is one of the key parts of doing business. I don't think it would be economically viable for them to launch the bike at 1.7 lacs alongside a CBR 250.
I am wondering why companies can't make business blunders. Jazz was a good car. It didn't sell at all in the beginning till the pricing was revised. Honda, is not a bad company for that. They made a terrible business decision. Every company has its fair share of business blunders.

If you look at the numbers Suzuki does, it is very clear that their product strategy AND/OR pricing has gone bad terribly. How many Suzuki 'Slingshots' or 'Heat' have you seen on road?

I'd leave it to the Suzuki management to get their pricing and positioning right. The customers answer with their wallets.

Quote:
Also, if they slapped a nice fairing on this bike, then am sure it would have made sense, no?
A fairing does not make a sports bike (or a sports tourer). I am sure the RC390 is not a D390 with a fairing slapped on. Same with FZ1/R1, Daytona 675/ST3 etc. If this is a commuter, you can't make it a sports bike with some make up.

All I say is that this is an example of pricing gone wrong.

Quote:
You always get what you pay for. A duke 390 is a bike that's worth the money you pay for it. If you are under the impression that it is actually a 3 lac rupee bike that duke is selling to enthusiasts in india at a special price of 2 lacs, then you are mistaken. Suzuki is saying that their product costs so much. That's all this price implies.
The first statement is wrong. I mentioned about the 1000 USD iPhone app which says 'I am rich' - Do you think that the customer gets what he paid for?

There are so many examples of pricing gone wrong in so many domains (not just automobiles). If Suzuki makes a product that is unviable, I am not stopping them. All I say is that people won't buy them and for the EXACT reason that it is overpriced.

And not just me, a lot of people who bought D390 will say that they got way more value than what they paid for.

Quote:
So you think it should have been priced at 1.5 lacs too? Just so they can "position" the bike correctly? Or should it have been lower?
As mentioned in my earlier post, you wouldn't hear this backlash against Suzuki had it been priced about 2.25L ex-showroom. Even then, CBRs and D390s will eat into its share. This is a classic case of 'arriving dead' - I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

Let's wait for the market's reaction to this
sriramv.iyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 13:24   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Let's wait for the market's reaction to this
HI Sriram,

The Market reaction is clear In my opinion. On X-bhp poll, link i pasted on earlier page, The NO percentage has jumped to 96.77% . sample size is decent enough.

Total polled - 310 .
Yes wrt to buy - 5.
can;t say - 5 .

I guess suzuki themselves is pretty much aware of the flop show and as such are making no effort to advertise about the bike in print media(Why waste more money on a dead horse). Today was the first time i saw ad for inazuma and guess where "along with the AD of movie Jai Ho". So most probably, it was advertised by movie producer to meet legal obligation of promoting the bike.

IMO, they should feel lucky and blessed if they are able to sold initial lot of bikes. I see a sharp price correction shortly from suzuki on this bike.
Old 23rd January 2014, 15:41   #146
Senior - BHPian

A bit of an OT:

Suzuki seems to be closing in on launch of a new motorcycle. The bike does looks pretty much okay compared to its stable mates.

Source: xBhp
http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/news/283...ted-noida.html

The bike does looks a bit too big to be on the 125cc segment and looks more like a 150. But does Suzuki really want another addition to the 150 segment? Lets wait and see..

If pricing and marketing is done by someone with sense, this thing will do good for a Suzuki. And I wonder why they did'nt think about stiffening up that frame and putting the Inazuma's engine on this.. It would have failed less miserably.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 23rd January 2014 at 15:45.
Old 23rd January 2014, 16:07   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
HI Sriram, The Market reaction is clear In my opinion. On X-bhp poll, link i pasted on earlier page, The NO percentage has jumped to 96.77% . sample size is decent enough.
Totally agree. A poll in this site also should give similar results

Quote:
IMO, they should feel lucky and blessed if they are able to sold initial lot of bikes. I see a sharp price correction shortly from suzuki on this bike.
I hope they are getting the first lot in single digits.

And, I am sure Suzuki is not serious in selling this bike, so I don't expect a price revision. It will be a blink and miss from Suzuki.

Last edited by n_aditya : 30th January 2014 at 21:37. Reason: quote tags fixed
Old 30th January 2014, 17:34   #148

Compared to its competitors in the 250cc range, I feel that the inazuma pretty much lags behind in the looks department. And quoting 3 lakhs for
for this is a bold ask. But the fact that is twin cylinder, could be a selling point, but define not worth 3 lakh!
Old 30th January 2014, 21:16   #149
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidVenugopal View Post
Compared to its competitors in the 250cc range, I feel that the inazuma pretty much lags behind in the looks department. And quoting 3 lakhs for this is a bold ask. But the fact that is twin cylinder, could be a selling point, but define not worth 3 lakh!
I agree, pretty bold asking price this bike has.

It could be great that the bike sports a twin-cylinder but if the bike doesn't please eye in the looks department that thing will hardly sell.

Anurag.
Old 31st January 2014, 12:39   #150
BHPian

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 1st February 2014 at 13:30.
.sushilkumar is online now   Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks