Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2024, 22:53   #991
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klgiridhar View Post
Hi BHPians, my question is not related to any specific tyre but a general question to all premium bike owners. With curbs on imports of most of the premium motorcycle tyres, how difficult are you, the existing owners, feeling to find good set of tyres for your possessions?

A general search online shows that until 150 section width, there is no dearth of options, but there are very little to no reliable sources for 160, 170 or 180 section tyres.
klgiridhar, you can still get 160, 180, 190 section tires from reputed tire dealers across India. The problem is that the price of these tires have shot up in the last couple of years! If you own a middle-weight naked motorcycle like the CBR650R / Kawasaki Z900 / Triumph Street Triple 765, then replacing your tires with a non Vredstein / TVS Road Runner set of 120 (front) + 180 (rear) will cost you between Rs 37K to 52K, depending on what tires you select. The Vredstein and TVS tires will cost you below Rs 28K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus12 View Post
I am currently using a 2017 Yamaha FZ25 given to me by a relative's friend who has moved aboard for work. I will be writing about my thoughts and the condition of the bike later in a detailed post on another thread. The bike has clocked over 30k kms till date and is currently running on a set Michelins. The front is a Michelin Pilot Street and the rear is a Michelin City Pro. The tyres have worn out and the rear usually locks up on sudden or panic braking as this is the First Gen Non Abs model. Could anyone suggest a good set of rubbers? I am a sedate rider but do spirited rides once a while. I ride the bike to my work place and back on weekends which is around 42 kms both ways, from which 28 kms is on the highway. I would always prefer to have my tyre size as recommended by the manufacturer which is 100/80 17 for the front and 140/70 17 for the rear. The stock tyres as per the manual come with a set of MRFs. The front tyre was a Tubeless 100/80-17M/C 52P MRF Nylogrip Zapper-FX1, whereas the rear was a Tubeless 140/70-17M/C 66S MRF Nylogrip Zapper-S2. Please feel free to suggest any tyre that you know of which could be the best fit. My requirements are handling and durability but honestly I am looking for an overall all-rounder. I would lean more over to the tyres which are value for money but I would also love to know more about the serious ones like the Pirellis and Metzellers in hopes of getting them in future. Thanks!!
You should look at 110/70 tires for the front and 150/60 17 tires for the rear. This opens up much better tires for your FZ25. The Apollo Alpha H1s are very good. The TVS Europgrips are also getting solid reviews. Expect to pay below Rs 11K for a set. If you want the Road 5, that should be around Rs 22K a set but it would be an overkill for your FZ's capabilities and your usage.

If you really must stick to the 100 front and 140 rear, you could look at the Apollo Alpha S1, which are a step below the excellent H1s.
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 02:15   #992

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
You should look at 110/70 tires for the front and 150/60 17 tires for the rear. This opens up much better tires for your FZ25. The Apollo Alpha H1s are very good. The TVS Europgrips are also getting solid reviews. Expect to pay below Rs 11K for a set. If you want the Road 5, that should be around Rs 22K a set but it would be an overkill for your FZ's capabilities and your usage.

If you really must stick to the 100 front and 140 rear, you could look at the Apollo Alpha S1, which are a step below the excellent H1s.
Thank you so much neil.jericho for your response. I will definitely check these out. I have seen a couple of folks on YouTube upsizing their tyres to the Apollo Alpha H1s. I am pretty sure the handling will be a notch higher with these wider tyres. But I would like to know what could be the downside of upsizing/upgrading the tyres? Like a loss in mileage and by how much, etc. Anything I should be concerned about or know before I go for an upsize? Also, do you have any idea on how long would the Apollo Alpha H1s last?

I too have heard good reviews about the TVS Eurogrips and are recommended by a friend as well but the Alpha H1s are on another level. Hence, I won't mind spending a bit more to get the best one.
Old 29th February 2024, 12:43   #993
Senior - BHPian

Unless you are making a custom bike for aesthetics alone, bigger heavier bikes with power to spare can carry off a reasonable upsize to the tyres. Smaller capacity bikes with limited to low power to start with just get bogged down and feel heavy. The caveat is the cross section profile and how curved the contact patch is. But unless you simply are not getting anything in your factory spec size, or when you're fitting say dual purpose tyres one off, its always advisable to stick to manufacture recommended sizes.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2024, 21:28   #994
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus12 View Post
Thank you so much neil.jericho for your response. I will definitely check these out. I have seen a couple of folks on YouTube upsizing their tyres to the Apollo Alpha H1s. I am pretty sure the handling will be a notch higher with these wider tyres. But I would like to know what could be the downside of upsizing/upgrading the tyres? Like a loss in mileage and by how much, etc. Anything I should be concerned about or know before I go for an upsize? Also, do you have any idea on how long would the Apollo Alpha H1s last?

I too have heard good reviews about the TVS Eurogrips and are recommended by a friend as well but the Alpha H1s are on another level. Hence, I won't mind spending a bit more to get the best one.
The downside of upgrading to much better tires is that you will start enjoying your motorcycle a lot more and this will lead to more rides, as well as higher fuel bills On a serious note, the difference between the 140/70 and 150/60 in terms of height / weight etc will be barely noticeable and the gains will outweigh any perceived negatives.

From what I hear, the TVS Eurogrips are as good (some say better) than the Apollo Alpha H1s. However, the Alpha H1s have been around for much longer, which means that they have been tried and tested by a whole host of riders. That makes the H1s the popular choice in the segment. I have them on my Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 and they have transformed the handling of my bike. I had even taken the bike to the track with the Alpha H1s. If you check my ownership thread, you can see my detailed feedback on the tires.
neil.jericho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th March 2024, 00:04   #995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
TVS Protorq Extreme is available in 110/70 & 140/70 R17 sizes.

https://tvseurogrip.com/product/110-...rq-extreme-hf/

https://tvseurogrip.com/product/140-...otorq-extreme/

110/70 upsize from 100/80 will have a shorter sidewall and there might be some error in the speedo readings. The noticeable issue might be the ballooning of the tyre on a rim made for 100 section tyre. It'll look good but you'll loose out on flick-ability and turn in might be heavier. Same with the 150/60 upsize on the rear. The different profiles of different tyres complicates this further.

That said, the pros outweigh the cons in this case. If he goes with the Protorqs, he can keep it relatively closer to the stock sizes.
b16h22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2024, 09:24   #996
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
110/70 upsize from 100/80 will have a shorter sidewall and there might be some error in the speedo readings. The noticeable issue might be the ballooning of the tyre on a rim made for 100 section tyre. It'll look good but you'll loose out on flick-ability and turn in might be heavier. Same with the 150/60 upsize on the rear. The different profiles of different tyres complicates this further.

That said, the pros outweigh the cons in this case. If he goes with the Protorqs, he can keep it relatively closer to the stock sizes.
b16h22, because the FZ25 has the rather average Michelins right now, the flickabilty of the bike will actually improve on account of the more V shaped profiles of the Alpha H1 and TVS Protorq. When I checked them back to back, the Protorq came across as having an even more aggressive V than the Alpha H1. So tip-ins will become a lot more fun, even with the change in sidewall.

However, if the Protorqs do come in the stock sizes and are the same compound as the 110 150, then it does make complete sense to go with the TVS tires.
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 03:08   #997

Hi

I have a honda hness CB350 bought in april 23
Need suggestions for a rear tyre other than MRF
Have checked all tyre company websites and no one seems to have an option in 130/70-18M/C 63H profile

Dont know if i can fit in a smaller tyre and dont know if i want to

Thank you in advance for helping me out
Old 8th March 2024, 11:49   #998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieryRed View Post
Have checked all tyre company websites and no one seems to have an option in 130/70-18M/C 63H profile
130/70-18 though relatively not that common, it's also used in RE interceptor. So, availability shouldn't be much of a concern, not sure which websites/tyre shops you have visited. Here are some choices.

Vredestein Centauro

Ceat Zoom Cruz

Reise tourR
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 17:01   #999

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
130/70-18 though relatively not that common, it's also used in RE interceptor. So, availability shouldn't be much of a concern, not sure which websites/tyre shops you have visited. Here are some choices.

Vredestein Centauro

Ceat Zoom Cruz

Reise tourR

Wow didnt knew there were so many options
Thank you so so much!
I was looking at individual manufactures websites and none of them seemed to have this tyre profile but this reise tour link to tyremarket.com link shared by you has a lot of options. Realised reise website does not have these in stock.

Any manufacurer can you recommened for My Honda Hness CB350 - usage is mostly in Delhi NCR on 50% tarmac - 50% bad uneven side roads as a biker you ride on in traffic and once in a while short highway rides over the wekened.

I am inclined towards giving Reise Moto a try - although have heared rave reviews for metzeler but dont know if paying twice the amount for a low distance range makes much sense in this form of bike.

Also i need tubeless tyres that can hold air after punctures - i have been unlucky to get 2 big nails based punctures in my rear tyre in a short span of 6 months but the good part of MRF tyre was that it did not loose out the air completely and gave me enought time to get air filled or the puncture repaired the next day.

Also any specific shop in delhi that you would recommened for installing the same and if any wheel balancing needs to be done if i shift the tyre companies from maufactures recommended option.
FieryRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 21:18   #1000
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieryRed View Post
Any manufacurer can you recommened for My Honda Hness CB350 - usage is mostly in Delhi NCR on 50% tarmac - 50% bad uneven side roads as a biker you ride on in traffic and once in a while short highway rides over the wekened.

I am inclined towards giving Reise Moto a try - although have heared rave reviews for metzeler but dont know if paying twice the amount for a low distance range makes much sense in this form of bike.
FieryRed, on the 3 options listed by TBHPian sukiwa, the general perception in the motorcycling community is that

- Vredestein Centauro : The most grip among the three. This is a relatively new launch as it came out with the updated alloy version of the Continental GT 650.
- Ceat Zoom Cruz : A solid choice for regular riders. Cant go wrong with it.
- Reise tourR : A relatively new entrant in the Indian market. They seem to be targetting the off-road segment.

I dont believe there are any Metezler options in the market right now for the 130/70-18 size. Timsun was a popular choice a couple of years ago, Im not certain of its availability these days.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 23:21   #1001
Senior - BHPian

Don't know if this has been shared before, but relevant to the FZ250 discussion, and others, so ...

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 8th March 2024 at 23:32.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2024, 21:59   #1002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Has anyone here used Reise Moto tyres?
Finally after 15,300 km the stock Ceat rear tyre has been replaced. The Ceat performed wonderfully - had excellent wet grip and braking abilities. Had only one puncture.

Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-img20240401wa0030.jpeg

Replaced with the Reise TourR in stock size, as almost 100% of my riding is on tarmac. Need to use it for a bit to give some meaningful feedback. Got the tyre & tube for 3150/- and fitting was 250/-

Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-20240401_193228.jpg
Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-psx_20240405_215654.jpg

Last edited by Geo_Ipe : 5th April 2024 at 22:00.
Geo_Ipe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2024, 01:08   #1003
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Finally after 15,300 km the stock Ceat rear tyre has been replaced. The Ceat performed wonderfully - had excellent wet grip and braking abilities. Had only one puncture.

Replaced with the Reise TourR in stock size, as almost 100% of my riding is on tarmac. Need to use it for a bit to give some meaningful feedback. Got the tyre & tube for 3150/- and fitting was 250/-
My ceat lasted 10k kms, although I could have extracted 1-2k kms more but decided to not take the risk. I changed to TrailR, and it's performing great.
NTab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2024, 20:19   #1004
BHPian

I was watching this RTR310 review by MotorInc and shumi is talking about the new import restrictions on the 110/70 & 150/60 tyre sizes from January

It seems like the likes of Michelin Road 5s and Pirelli Scorpion Rallys are going to be unavailable for sale in India soon . Recently came across the news that the Husqvarnas are coming with Apollos. This might affect the likes of Metzelers on the D390s and Michelins on the TVS as well.

Last edited by b16h22 : 7th April 2024 at 20:20.
Old 7th April 2024, 21:19   #1005
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
It seems like the likes of Michelin Road 5s and Pirelli Scorpion Rallys are going to be unavailable for sale in India soon . Recently came across the news that the Husqvarnas are coming with Apollos. This might affect the likes of Metzelers on the D390s and Michelins on the TVS as well.
Personally, I am very comfortable paying max up to 12-15k for tyres tops. Preferably under 10k a set. I've ridden a lifetime on MRF and Ceat and Dunlop tyres on my Bullets and MRFs and Metzelers ((both German and Chinese ... huge difference) on my KTMs. I do not recall ever slowing down or riding different because of the tyres under me. You simply ride within the tyre, and do the same things a bit differently (less, more, early, late). So of this encourages Indian pricing Indian tyre manufacturers, I'm all for it. To my mind its ridiculous to pay half a lac for a set of tyres. My opinion purely. And I have the same way of looking at high end bicycle tyres as well, where each 25 mm wide hoop costs 6k+.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 7th April 2024 at 21:20.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks