Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2022, 20:13   #961

Re: Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
A good friend of mine has also installed the Trampler on his Duke Adventure 390. He regularly does trail riding and is happy with this setup.

Attachment 2386656

Attachment 2386657

Attachment 2386658

Attachment 2386659
Thanks. I did not know Tramplr XR from Apollo is coming in stock 390 adv size. Any idea how much he paid for the pair?
Old 14th December 2022, 20:33   #962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBlade View Post
How is the grip when compared with Metzelers? Currently I am using Michelin Pilot Street Radial on my baby blade CBR 250R and extremely happy with it as it provides ample grip for me to do hard cornering. Thinking about upgrading to Road 5s. Do you recommend it? Kindly advice? Thanks in advance.
The grip and confidence is similar to the Metzelers, but this does not like any offroading. Needs a bit of meddling with tyre pressure to suit you. I started with the recommended and hit the sweet spot after some attempts. i cannot comment on the Longevity as the usage for the past couple of years has drastically come down.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 10:48   #963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
The grip and confidence is similar to the Metzelers, but this does not like any offroading. Needs a bit of meddling with tyre pressure to suit you. I started with the recommended and hit the sweet spot after some attempts. i cannot comment on the Longevity as the usage for the past couple of years has drastically come down.
Thanks buddy for your input

I am looking at these tyres only for cornering. So your post has now instilled enough confidence in me to plonk almost 23k on set of Road 5s. My local dealer quoted 13.5 k for rear tyre 150/60 R17 and 9.5k for front ones 110/70 R17.

Planning to install them during early next year. Will share how much upgrade they are over my current Street Radials after some use
Old 25th December 2022, 03:54   #964
BHPian

My Pulsar 250’s front alloy wheel has started leaking air from the joint between the alloy and tyre sidewall.(video attached).The leak is not rapid, but looses approx 8- 10 psi weekly. The alloy does not have any bends or dents and neither is the air leak concentrated on a spot. The tyre was removed, cleaned and reset once, but the issue still persists. The tyre shop guy stated that alloy have to be repainted since the leak is due to some build-up on the alloy wheel.(saw some white deposits while removing the same, which was cleaned once)
The motorcycle was bought on March 2022 and so I took the same to service centre to know whether the alloy is covered under warranty. The service centre guys checked and confirmed that there was indeed air leak, but were unable to identify whether it’s the fault of the alloy or the tyre. One guy in particular was hell bent on making the leak due to a bent alloy from some impact from the beginning. He insisted on claiming the same under insurance and stated that it wont be covered under warranty since the fault was identified after 2k Kms only and cant be deemed as a manufacturing defect whereas the owners manual states the warranty is for 5 years/75000km for any manufacturing defect. The bike has not been dropped, let alone crash. If at all any such impact has occurred unbeknownst to me, wont there be any more faults like a fork seal leak etc.
Since the service centre didn’t have a spare alloy to check (allegedly) and zero in the defect, they have ordered a new alloy . Once it arrives, they would install the current tyre on the same and verify the defect is indeed of my current alloy wheel. They reset the tyre and gave back the motorcycle in its current state.
Meanwhile I thought of asking some expert advice here.

1)If the leak is due to faulty alloy, wont it be covered under warranty since any impact would have made the air leak localised whereas here the leak is from multiple areas.
2)If claimed under warranty, as per the SVC guys, the monetary damage would be under 700k only. Its not about money, but I am frustrated by the fact that they might be denying a genuine claim and making it the fault of the customer.
3)Will shooting an email to the Bajaj customer care be of any help in this case. Should I wait for the verification of fault by the service centre before emailing?
Hope this is the relevant thread for posting this..Any advice would be of much help. Thank you.
Attached Files
File Type: zip VID-20221223-WA0002.zip (3.17 MB, 26 views)
Old 24th April 2023, 12:51   #965
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Stock MRF Zapper C(OK) -> Michelin Pilot sporty(Super) -> Zapper Vyde(Very Good) -> Indian made Pilot sporty(Crappy) -> Pilot street Radial(Excellent) -> MRF Masseter(Excellent)
Hello Sagar,

Hope you are doing fine.
Need to replace the tires on my bike, Honda Stunner currently running on combo of MRF FY1 90/80 (Fr) and Vyde 100/90 (Rr). Both tires have served me exceptionally well grip wise, though the FY1 had some issues regarding slow leakage of air but the source was never found even after umpteen tries.

There are still usable treads, especially on the rear tire Vyde but FY1 now needs replacing due to sidewall cracks which might have been induced more so because of the low pressure due to the leak and general wear.

Just wanted to confirm if the new Masseter-X 100/90 for rear and 90/80 for front will be a better combination than my current set? I gather from this thread that both FY1 and Masseter are hard to find, but I don't want to go for harder compounds.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Saket
Old 25th April 2023, 09:20   #966
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Just wanted to confirm if the new Masseter-X 100/90 for rear and 90/80 for front will be a better combination than my current set? I gather from this thread that both FY1 and Masseter are hard to find, but I don't want to go for harder compounds.
I have the exact same combo on my Pulsar 180 UG3 and they are better than any other combo I have had till now. The masseters offer very good grip in wet and dry. The front are 80/90-17 and I find them better suited for narrow rim of the pulsar than 90/80-17
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 09:57   #967
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have the exact same combo on my Pulsar 180 UG3 and they are better than any other combo I have had till now. The masseters offer very good grip in wet and dry. The front are 80/90-17 and I find them better suited for narrow rim of the pulsar than 90/80-17
Thank you! Masseter it is then.

I would like to retain 90/80 at front (stock was 80/90) as it gave me good braking and overall confidence but would see if I can upsize the rear to 110 in pace of 100. Thanks again.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 01:27   #968
BHPian

Hello fellow members.
Need to change tyres on my 2013 classic 350.

Priority is to maximize wet and dry tarmac grip.
Off roading or even rough roading is only going to happen out of necessity.

Have been suggested Michelins that cost close to 6000 and CEATs that are close to 4500.
It's my secondary vehicle and does not see more than 30 kilometres a week and is now 10 years old, although I do intend to keep it around, but the weekly mileage will drop even further due to an itch to upgrade.

Wondering if the CEATs are more than enough or if Apollo would strike a good balance in terms of experience and price or if I should shell out the extra bucks for Michelins.

Tyre size:
F - 90/90 19
R - 110/90 18
Kalash_6324 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2023, 16:49   #969
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The masseters offer very good grip in wet and dry. The front are 80/90-17 and I find them better suited for narrow rim of the pulsar than 90/80-17
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Thank you! Masseter it is then.

I would like to retain 90/80 at front (stock was 80/90) as it gave me good braking and overall confidence but would see if I can upsize the rear to 110 in pace of 100. Thanks again.
So finding these tires was a task. Was getting old stock (2017) of Masseter 100/90-17. Had to pay in advance to get this tire from a tire shop who placed an order at the local MRF warehouse. Thankfully got this almost factory fresh after a search and wait of so many days.

I retained the same FY-1, 90/80-17 for the front. Finding this one was another task. Finally got an old new stock at an MRF dealer manufactured in 2020.

Initial impressions are good. Cornering is effortless and grip seems to be very good. Looks of both these tires are premium and tread pattern is lovely. Will let the pictures do the talking.
Attached Thumbnails
Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-ee82a02b63074532a54a2c98419ccdbd.jpeg  

Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-c78bdf11d9f14f6688230876e02f1a54.jpeg  

Last edited by saket77 : 11th May 2023 at 16:52.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 12:22   #970
BHPian

My Duke 390 has completed 47000kms in Total

Tyre change history

Metzeler Sportec M5 - 13900 kms
Apollo Alpha H1 - 34600 - 10900 Rs (after 20700 kms)
TVS Protorq Extreme Rear - 46300 - 11900 Rs

TVS Protorq extreme after 11700kms

Grip - equal or slightly exceed Alpha H1. Again, someone who has used it more on trackdays maybe of a different opinion. My usage has entirely been on highways.

Also, The tyres get easily squared off for my kind of usage

Price - 1K more than Alpha H1.

I am surprised how easily the rear tyre picked punctures like the Metzlers in the final 500 kms

Recommend ? I would leave it for you to find out

The bike is currently running on Ceat rad zoom X1 for rear and TVS for front (should last another 1000 kms or so)

Ceat costs Rs 7500 for a set

Don't have much expectations with Ceat, but I am not skilled enough to exploit the grip levels of any tyre either.

I will eventually go back to Alpha H1 after Ceat.

Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-20230415_121628.jpg

Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-2nd-puncture.jpg

Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-front.jpg

Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-duke.jpg

Last edited by Vignesh_N/A : 12th May 2023 at 12:25.
Vignesh_N/A is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 20:05   #971
BHPian

Recently Triumph-Bajaj launched two bikes - the Speed 400 being marketed as a Roadster and the Scrambler 400x (role as per the name).

Both bikes have the same engine and generally the same suspension with little difference in travel at both ends. A little tweaking here and there in terms of handlebar layout, seat height, adventure ready footpegs, different tyres and wheel sizes etc.

But at heart and soul, they are one and the same bikes. In fact, buy a Speed 400, carry out some aftermarket mods to the handlebar, add raisers, include a windshield and shod it with dual purpose rubber, it will become a better adventure tourer.
Giving ideas to people even before both bikes have been ridden physically by common men...

There are plethora of such examples
  • Honda CB200x and Hornet 2.0
  • Suzuki Vstorm SX and Gixxer 250
  • KTM 390 ADV and the Duke 390

Does that mean that a different suspension and tyres is MAJORLY all that is required to convert a roadster to an ADV or Adventure Tourer?

Mods may remove my post from this thread if found irrelevant.
Old 14th July 2023, 17:08   #972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator1101 View Post
There are plethora of such examples
  • Honda CB200x and Hornet 2.0
  • Suzuki Vstorm SX and Gixxer 250
  • KTM 390 ADV and the Duke 390
Does that mean that a different suspension and tyres is MAJORLY all that is required to convert a roadster to an ADV or Adventure Tourer?
Nice perspective. Suspension and tyre surely count. There are few other major parameters too :
- engine tuning (power / torque ratio), handlebar, seating position, seat height & cushioning, vehicle body width (including frame & plastics), fuel tank capacity, braking, chain-sprocket.

Unfortunately, there could be some vendors just doing partial changes, along with better stickering and branding to differentiate the offerings!

Last edited by Aditya : 15th July 2023 at 06:33. Reason: As requested
pcpranav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 19:35   #973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator1101 View Post
Recently Triumph-Bajaj launched two bikes - the Speed 400 being marketed as a Roadster and the Scrambler 400x (role as per the name).

Mods may remove my post from this thread if found irrelevant.
Between Speed 400 and Scrambler, the later has 10mm and 30mm additional travel in the front and rear respectively. So both the F & R are now 150 mm travel. This only makes the 400X a slightly larger motorcycle.

Among the models you mentioned, only in ADV 390, the suspension travel was increased by 28mm in the front and 27 mm in the rear. Still far from Himalayan though.
Vignesh_N/A is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2023, 16:56   #974
BHPian

I got Michelins for my 2012 c350. they make even more sense if running is low. Wet grip is much improved. Got the Michelin Sirac for the rear, and had to add a tube as it is tubeless. For the front I got Michelin City Pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalash_6324 View Post
Hello fellow members.
Need to change tyres on my 2013 classic 350.

Priority is to maximize wet and dry tarmac grip.
Off roading or even rough roading is only going to happen out of necessity.

Have been suggested Michelins that cost close to 6000 and CEATs that are close to 4500.
It's my secondary vehicle and does not see more than 30 kilometres a week and is now 10 years old, although I do intend to keep it around, but the weekly mileage will drop even further due to an itch to upgrade.

Wondering if the CEATs are more than enough or if Apollo would strike a good balance in terms of experience and price or if I should shell out the extra bucks for Michelins.

Tyre size:
F - 90/90 19
R - 110/90 18
click is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 00:16   #975
BHPian

I’m planning on getting the official alloys and tubeless tyres for my RE Interceptor650. A quick word on my riding style and usage - 70% highways and 30% city riding. I like cruising (on highways) between 80-100kms here with occasional bursts to 120. Within city, I have a typically sedate style until I suddenly remember I’m astride a powerful machine. And then perhaps 10-15mins of throttle wringing happens before I settle back to my usual happily laid back riding style (I used to ride a C350 before this).

For tyres, should I stick to Ralco Speedblasters or consider the Vredesteins? There’s quite a price difference between the 2 and though I can afford the latter, wouldn’t want to spend the extra money if the Ralcos suffice my need. I’m quite confused on this and would request more knowledgeable and experienced folks to advise me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks