Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2022, 07:44   #946
BHPian

Re: Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thamps View Post
I am currently using Michelin road 5s on my D390 , but can't comment on the longevity or 'puncture resistance' as they have clocked a little over 1000ks only.
How is the grip when compared with Metzelers? Currently I am using Michelin Pilot Street Radial on my baby blade CBR 250R and extremely happy with it as it provides ample grip for me to do hard cornering. Thinking about upgrading to Road 5s. Do you recommend it? Kindly advice? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 24th November 2022 at 07:46. Reason: Metzlers > Metzelers
FireBlade is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 21:19   #947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBlade View Post
How is the grip when compared with Metzelers? Currently I am using Michelin Pilot Street Radial on my baby blade CBR 250R and extremely happy with it as it provides ample grip for me to do hard cornering. Thinking about upgrading to Road 5s. Do you recommend it? Kindly advice? Thanks in advance.
The wet grip is phenomenal. I have not tried hard cornering on it yet.And in comparison to metzelers, I have not felt road 5s are poor in terms of grip.
Oh, and i dont think I am qualified enough to recommend it to anyone.
I had asked the same query here, a few weeks before, and didn't get a clear cut answer. So based on my online research and from multiple reviews, I zeroed in on road 5s for its longevity and grip. Hope this helps.
Thamps is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2022, 01:30   #948
BHPian

Quote:
I have used two Apollos alphas in the past and both of them got a puncture within the first 2k kms. I guess MRFs and Ceats are the only options if you want a harder compound at the expense of grip.

I am currently using Michelin road 5s on my D390 , but can't comment on the longevity or 'puncture resistance' as they have clocked a little over 1000ks only.
I am really inclined towards road 5 but getting road 5 for the bike which will be run very very less seems unreasonable.

Please share your experience after some weeks.

I am in no hurry, as I said Bike running is very very less. Hopefully will increase in future.
Sahil00090 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2022, 08:21   #949
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by y448 View Post
Anyone has experience with Apollo Tramplr ST tyres? I am considering them (120/80-17) for my Pulsar 220 .
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccentric View Post
Could you please post the pictures of the tyre +wheel combo on your bike? Am quite confused with the rotation indicator on the tyres!
I got a bit busy at work and could not update here, but it gave me time to experience the tyre in some rains.
The front is stock size but the rear is a 70 profile which is up from 60. So the bike now stands a bit tall at the rear and on the centre stand. This also translates to a bit more pressure on the wrists.

Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-img20221125wa0007.jpg

Coming to the ride quality, it is a bit stiff over the MRF but suits well to my driving. I have cultivated this habit of riding at 4k max rpm which translates to 57/58 kmph but it is hard riding over potholes or speed breakers. The tyre gives feedback as in my D390 and this is the biggest plus.
The gear has become a little bit taller due to change in profile and speeds have increased by a couple of kmph for the same rpm. Downshifts have lessened. The bike is composed as against the wallovy ride on MRF. The bike has good grip on all surfaces except for loose gravel where I see a bit of fishtailing.
Another plus is the braking which has improved by leaps and bounds. The bike stops in no time and no fuss. Neither once i have had the rear skidding in the 1500 kms of riding.
I got the set for 5800 INR from the Tyre Park on the East End road, Jayanagar. The same guys have another outlet a km away and they quoted 500 above this. I fail to understand this discrepancy although they are well connected.
The tyres were fitted on the tyre changer and I was out of the shop in less than half an hour. I hope that helps here.

Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-img_20221106_114101_1.jpg

Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-img_20221106_114544.jpg
unk9ja is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 20:21   #950
Senior - BHPian

A good friend of mine has also installed the Trampler on his Duke Adventure 390. He regularly does trail riding and is happy with this setup.

Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-img20221021wa0014.jpg

Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-img20221021wa0015.jpg

Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-img20221021wa0012.jpg

Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-img20221021wa0013.jpg
unk9ja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 20:34   #951
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have used two Apollos alphas in the past and both of them got a puncture within the first 2k kms. I guess MRFs and Ceats are the only options if you want a harder compound at the expense of grip.

I was talking to a friend of mine, who incidentally is also based out of Trivandrum, and owns a KTM Duke 390 (hes a very quick rider!), on these Alpha H1 and Road 5s for his bike. His feedback was that the Alpha H1s were excellent but the Road 5s were even better. And given the power delivery of the Duke 390, the bike deserves the Road 5s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBlade View Post
FireBlade, from what Ive been told, you can stick to the Apollo Alpha H1s on your CBR 250R. With the limited performance on tap, it will be hard to utilize the additional grip that you get in the Road 5s, over the Alpha H1s. Ive installed the Alpha H1s on my Suzuki Givver SF 250 and covered 2,300 kilometers post that. Its an excellent upgrade to the OEM tires from MRF.
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 17:42   #952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
FireBlade, from what Ive been told, you can stick to the Apollo Alpha H1s on your CBR 250R. With the limited performance on tap, it will be hard to utilize the additional grip that you get in the Road 5s, over the Alpha H1s. Ive installed the Alpha H1s on my Suzuki Givver SF 250 and covered 2,300 kilometers post that. Its an excellent upgrade to the OEM tires from MRF.
Hello Neil,

I am not looking for longevity as I don't use my CBR for touring or commuting. For commuting I've my Honda Unicorn and for long distance touring I prefer my Tata Nexon.

The only purpose of my CBR is weekend sports riding, i.e., hitting the curves and enjoy cornering. The speeds I do can't be mentioned here. So my only criteria is super grip, above my Pilot Street Radials. So, I am now seriously looking to upgrade to Road 5s.

FireBlade
Old 14th December 2022, 16:03   #953
Senior - BHPian

So my motorbike is about to complete 15 years and looking at my usage(~500kms in a year), decided against changing it and went for renewal of LTT for next 5 years. Now my tyres are in real bad shape and am looking forward to change them. Currently I have tube-type ones which are in bad shape(cracks all over). Front(90/90-17) & Rear(100/90-18).

But when I tried checking with a few local shops around the prices were eye watering. Front costs anywhere between 1800-2200INR & rear costs 2300-2800INR.

Brands Apollo & MRF are readily available I see. So wanted to check among these which one offers better road grip and softer ride?

And is there any place which sells less used tyres as such? Some good tyre store reference near Electronic City/Bannerghata Road/BTM would be very helpful? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by SoumenD : 14th December 2022 at 16:13.
Old 14th December 2022, 16:38   #954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
And is there any place which sells less used tyres as such? Some good tyre store reference near Electronic City/Bannerghata Road/BTM would be very helpful? Thanks in advance.
Check out tyremarket. You will get the best price per tyre there (1500 for the fronts and 2000 for the rears). Never buy used tyres why would there ever be a place that sells used tyres? How many "less used" tyres do you think exist to support such a market?
Old 14th December 2022, 17:08   #955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
How many "less used" tyres do you think exist to support such a market?
Well myself and many of our club mates(in 2007) back in Pune swapped tyres right after deliveries of our bikes. Its a very common practice among enthusiasts on this forum as well. People drive their brand new vehicles out of showrooms straight to Tyre shops and get the stock ones swapped for better ones. What do you think happens to those stock tyres?

Since my bike is pretty old and am not doing anymore heavy duty riding, such examples also would do for me. That's what I was checking for if anybody has any idea. If not, eventually will pick up new ones.

Last edited by SoumenD : 14th December 2022 at 17:18.
SoumenD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2022, 17:23   #956
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well myself and many of our club mates(in 2007) back in Pune swapped tyres right after deliveries of our bikes. Its a very common practice among enthusiasts on this forum as well. People drive their brand new vehicles out of showrooms straight to Tyre shops and get the stock ones swapped for better ones. What do you think happens to those stock tyres?
That really isn't enough to support a market for less used tyres in reliably good health. Besides if you don't mind such tyres then why not go for the cheapest new tyres available? 3.1k is not worth wasting time hunting for better deals over.
Old 14th December 2022, 17:25   #957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That really isn't enough to support a market for less used tyres in reliably good health. Besides if you don't mind such tyres then why not go for the cheapest new tyres available? 3.1k is not worth wasting time hunting for better deals over.
Well cheap new != less used good(brand) tyres. Hope it helps.

Last edited by SoumenD : 14th December 2022 at 17:26.
SoumenD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2022, 17:39   #958
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well cheap new != less used good(brand) tyres. Hope it helps.
You get excellent tyres from TVS, Apollo and Ceat brand new all of which have well established their quality control. The less used tyres you are talking about will also be made by local brands such as these including MRF and JK these tyres are sold to OEMs for dirt cheap and are in all probability inferior to what the same companies offer brand new to consumers. Even if they aren't, given that they spend a while in stockyards under the sun and then get used by dealerships who fill up the tyres to extremely high pressure, they will definitely be of inferior quality compared to fresh rubber. At the end of the day in the size that you mentioned, given our current tax regulations on tyres, you will not be able to find less used Metzellers or Pirellis or Michellins so what other good brands am I missing here?

Last edited by IshaanIan : 14th December 2022 at 17:48.
Old 14th December 2022, 18:12   #959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
At the end of the day in the size that you mentioned, given our current tax regulations on tyres, you will not be able to find less used Metzellers or Pirellis or Michellins...
Yup that I agree. Lets see will be heading to a tyre shop over the weekend and pick up something. But among MRF and Apollo which one's usually better? Price-wise both are similar.

My current ones are Michelin, so don't have experience with these two.

Last edited by SoumenD : 14th December 2022 at 18:38.
Old 14th December 2022, 18:55   #960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But among MRF and Apollo which one's usually better? Price-wise both are similar.

My current ones are Michelin, so don't have experience with these two.
Honestly ever since the new tax regulations, all our desi tyre manufacturers have upped their game. Ceat Zoom X3 is a good option for your bike but you can't go wrong with most other brands as well. Try checking exactly which model of tyre you are getting as MRF, Apollo, TVS and Ceat will all have certain models that they supply to manufacturers which will generally cost the cheapest to produce but they do also have tyre models for more discerning customers in the after market so definitely do your research on each tyre and not just on the brands themselves.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks