Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2022, 12:25   #931
BHPian

Re: Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!

I'm looking for a new set of tyres for my CBR 250R. I only prefer stock sizes - 110/70-17 (front) and 140/70-17 (rear). My bike is running on MRF Masseters now and they have been performing very well. But, I'm finding it hard to source the front Masseter tyre. The rear is available with some dealers. The front tyre is available only with tyreplex.com at a higher price - anyone have experience ordering from them?

Also, I like to buy tyres in a set because of similar construction and performance. One kind of tyre at the rear and another kind in the front somehow triggers my OCD. Still, I'd like to hear other opinions - is it a good idea to have MRF Masseter (rear) & MRF RevZ FC1 (front)? As far as I know, RevZ is radial whereas the Masseters are bias ply. Or, any other good combinations across tyres and brands?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxton07 View Post
I've been riding for 700km/month, but mostly on city roads. The bike currently comes with mrf zapper fx1(front) and mrf zapper s(rear). I've no issues so far with those tyres. But still seeking out advice if there are better set than the current ones. And is it true that bike tyres wear out as early as 15k-20k kms? I'm sorry but I'm a noob with tyres genre.
MRF Zappers also come in a set - Zapper FY (front) and Zapper S1 (rear). How good are they for touring and grip wise? Would it feel like a downgrade from the Masseters?
siddhant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 13:56   #932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhant View Post
Also, I like to buy tyres in a set because of similar construction and performance. One kind of tyre at the rear and another kind in the front somehow triggers my OCD. Still, I'd like to hear other opinions - is it a good idea to have MRF Masseter (rear) & MRF RevZ FC1 (front)? As far as I know, RevZ is radial whereas the Masseters are bias ply. Or, any other good combinations across tyres and brands?
From what I have learned,Tyre manufacturers recommend using tyre in sets because in wet conditions, the central grooves in front tyre facilitates better water discharge which will help the rear ones, which in most cases does not have a central groove for optimum grip.
If one replaces tyres in sets, then the rear would be worn out well before the front and it will not be a good financial choice to throw away a front tyre with still a lot of life left in those. Atleast that's what I thiink.
Don't know whether what I have been doing is right, but I usually go for grippier tyres like those from metz, michellin for the front and use apollos in rear (both radials) which are cheaper,have decent grip and better life when compared to the former brands.

Last edited by Thamps : 20th October 2022 at 14:00.
Thamps is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 14:33   #933
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm looking for a new set of tyres for my CBR 250R. I only prefer stock sizes - 110/70-17 (front) and 140/70-17 (rear). My bike is running on MRF Masseters now and they have been performing very well. But, I'm finding it hard to source the front Masseter tyre. The rear is available with some dealers. The front tyre is available only with tyreplex.com at a higher price - anyone have experience ordering from them?
If you want the masseters, fill up their contact form

https://www.mrftyres.com/contact-us

Provide your requirements and phone number. Someone will call you and arrange tyres for you at the nearest MRF outlet in your city. You can also ask for price and pay only that much.

I have done it twice before and found them to be pretty responsive
sagarpadaki is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 22:16   #934
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

MRF Zappers also come in a set - Zapper FY (front) and Zapper S1 (rear). How good are they for touring and grip wise? Would it feel like a downgrade from the Masseters?
siddhant, from what Ive heard and read, the MRF Masseter tires are their grippiest offerings. Ideally, if you can source it through the process listed by sagarpadaki, then that would be best.

The other option for 110 (front) and 140 (rear) is the Apollo Alpha S1. This is a really good set of tires that owners of many 150cc motorcycles are using. If you are open to upsizing the rear to 150/60-17, then go for the Apollo Alpha H1. A few days ago, I installed them on my Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 and the tires have transformed the bike's handing. A lot of enthusiasts have been taking their bikes to the track and not one of them has ever felt that its lacking in any respect. Right now, the Alphas H1s are the top choice for corner carvers looking for top performance at reasonable prices. Talk to other CBR 250R owners and see if any of them have upsized to 150s and faced any issues. For the CBR's capabilities, you should treat it to a set of premium tires like the Alpha H1s.

Lastly, if you put the Masseter at the rear and the RevZ FC1 on the front, you should be fine. The FC1 front tire has a nice, sporty profile, which will suit the similarly sporty profile of the Masseter. My Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 came with the FC1 as the stock front tire. In the 5,000 kilometers that I used it, I was impressed its performance .
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 18:11   #935
BHPian

Anyone here using michellin road 5s? How do they fare when compared to apollo alpha h1? Everyone praises m5s for their wet grip, but anyone has any idea about it's dry performance? For a Trackday, which would be better?
Thamps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 18:37   #936
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thamps View Post
Anyone here using michellin road 5s? How do they fare when compared to apollo alpha h1? Everyone praises m5s for their wet grip, but anyone has any idea about it's dry performance? For a Trackday, which would be better?
For a trackday you ideally need slicks but if you want something street legal as well, then the Pirelli Diablo Rossos are the way to go; their steeper curvature allows you to turn in and get the bike to lean quicker (as a result you can use narrower set clip-ons for a more precise feel as you would not need the leverage from wider bars) and also provides a wider and softer contact patch for good mid corner stability and superior corner exit speeds
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 21:45   #937
BHPian

Anyone has experience with Apollo Tramplr ST tyres? I am considering them (120/80-17) for my Pulsar 220 .
y448 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2022, 12:11   #938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Provide your requirements and phone number. Someone will call you and arrange tyres for you at the nearest MRF outlet in your city. You can also ask for price and pay only that much.
I heard back from MRF after 3 business days and they said MRF Masseter FX isn't being manufactured anymore. This might be due to low demand of these tyres.

Quote:
I was apprehensive about going for the Zappers but took the plunge after reading positive reviews online. Waiting for other tyres would mean another 1-2 week delay which was unacceptable. Final cost was Rs 5750 only including fitting charges.

I was pleasantly surprised after my 250 km tyre break-in ride yesterday. Performance on highways, city, twistys & bad roads was quite good, better than "satisfactory". In fact, for regular (non-track) usage, these tyres are almost indistinguishable from the MRF Masseters over dry roads. Grip is good too, quite like the Masseters. I believe the difference would be really felt only on the track when one is pushing these to the limit.

MRF Zappers after the 250 km ride yesterday
Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-img_20221030_115320.jpg
siddhant is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th October 2022, 22:20   #939
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by y448 View Post
Anyone has experience with Apollo Tramplr ST tyres? I am considering them (120/80-17) for my Pulsar 220 .
y448, the Tramplr STs are a recent launch in the market. I doubt that you will get much feedback about them, other than from a handful of early adopters. Out of curiosity, is there any reason why you are keen on this on road / off road tire from Apollo, as compared to traditional options like the MRF Zappers or Ceat Zoom?

Quote:
I heard back from MRF after 3 business days and they said MRF Masseter FX isn't being manufactured anymore. This might be due to low demand of these tyres.

I was apprehensive about going for the Zappers but took the plunge after reading positive reviews online.
siddhant, do keep us updated on how the Zappers fare in the long run. Its sad to hear that the Masseter tires have been discontinued. I think MRF missed a trick by limiting the Masseter to a maximum size of 140s.

Now, the big market is the 150 tires. Hopefully the company brings out a performance tire in the 150/60 17 size, to compete with the excellent Apollo Alpha H1s and the newly launched TVS Eurogrip Protorq Extremes.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2022, 13:07   #940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by y448 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Out of curiosity, is there any reason why you are keen on this on road / off road tire from Apollo, as compared to traditional options like the MRF Zappers or Ceat Zoom?
I got a pair of Trampler for my FZ16 today. I will post my experience in a couple of days. The initial impression is the grip level is better than the stock MRF.
On the question of why on/ off road tyres, it is becoming increasingly difficult to find the stock size for the FZ16. This is the fourth pair of tyres in its 87+k running. My question on Eurpgrip went unanswered and was skeptical about Ralco. The stock MRF with 15k+ kms had six punctures in a quarter which put me in a quandary. The Apollo Trampler looked good in the category and even the dealer recommended it over Alpha. This made me bite the bullet. Let me put it through its paces in the coming week and i will post how it fares against the MRF
.Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-img20221106wa0014.jpg

Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-img20221106wa0015.jpg
unk9ja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 19:23   #941
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
I got a pair of Trampler for my FZ16 today. I will post my experience in a couple of days. The initial impression is the grip level is better than the stock MRF.
Let me put it through its paces in the coming week and i will post how it fares against the MRF
Even, I have purchased the same ST series for my R15 V3 last week, but, yet to install them. Could you please post the pictures of the tyre +wheel combo on your bike? Am quite confused with the rotation indicator on the tyres!
eccentric is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2022, 00:28   #942
BHPian

Hi Everyone, I am looking to change tyres on my Dominar 400 (2018). Looking for some suggestions, I am really inclined towards Michelin road 5 but I read many reviews that being soft compound it gets punctured easily, I don't want to get stuck on a trip.

Feel free to share your suggestions and experiences with different tyres, also some good tyre shop.

I do highway crusing 100+ for long hours, I don't do extreme off road but yes, I don't hesitate to take it on rough roads and no roads. Mostly run in city for this year but hoping to take it for more rides in the coming year.

P.s. I asked previously as well and it was suggested that Pirelli STR will be good but finding a new batch of STR is a task I believe (because of low demand), plus now we have new rubbers as well from different manufacturers so that's why asking again. Need to buy by next month.

Thank you.

Last edited by Sahil00090 : 19th November 2022 at 00:40.
Sahil00090 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 17:26   #943
BHPian

I am looking for new tyres for cb500x, i tried finding Michelin Anakee(80-20) but nobody has it in Bangalore.

I normally ride on highways(80-130kmph) dry amd wet conditions, i have encountered gravel roads and big potholes on most of the roads and the stock Dunlops which is a 50-50 tyre gets punctured easily.

Should I go for Road 5 due to its grip especially in wet conditions? Is it good for indian conditions? What is the expected mileage?

Any other options that I should consider?
TIA
dkar228 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 02:24   #944
BHPian

[quote=Sahil00090;5441530]Hi Everyone, I am looking to change tyres on my Dominar 400 (2018). Looking for some suggestions, I am really inclined towards Michelin road 5 but I read many reviews that being soft compound it gets punctured easily, I don't want to get stuck on a trip. /QUOTE]
I have used two Apollos alphas in the past and both of them got a puncture within the first 2k kms. I guess MRFs and Ceats are the only options if you want a harder compound at the expense of grip.
I am currently using michellin road 5s on my D390 , but can't comment on the longevity or 'puncture resistance' as they have clocked a little over 1000ks only.
Old 24th November 2022, 02:27   #945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil00090 View Post
Hi Everyone, I am looking to change tyres on my Dominar 400 (2018). Looking for some suggestions, I am really inclined towards Michelin road 5 but I read many reviews that being soft compound it gets punctured easily, I don't want to get stuck on a trip. TIA
I have used two Apollos alphas in the past and both of them got a puncture within the first 2k kms. I guess MRFs and Ceats are the only options if you want a harder compound at the expense of grip.

I am currently using Michelin road 5s on my D390 , but can't comment on the longevity or 'puncture resistance' as they have clocked a little over 1000ks only.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 24th November 2022 at 07:46. Reason: Michellin > Michelin
Thamps is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks