Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2019, 10:27   #856
Senior - BHPian

Re: Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Are you sure that Michelin City Pro is manufactured by TVS?
Having used City Pro on two 2-wheelers at home, quite certain that Michelin 2-wheeler tyres are way different than 4-wheeler tyres that I am used to (Michelin XM1+, XM2).

Quote:
From where did you get that info?
Check these links.

Hindu Business line
Michelin India
Forum thread (Michelin to source two-wheeler tyres from TVS Srichakra)
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 11:50   #857
BANNED

Quote:
Are you sure that Michelin City Pro is manufactured by TVS?

From where did you get that info?
This is common knowledge the tyres branded Michelin for Indian application i.e
  • Michelin Sirac Street
  • Michelin Pilot Sporty(Not to be confused with the superior Michelin Pilot Street Radial)
  • Michelin City Pro

are made by TVS and have the same inherent issue i.e worst possible wet grip.

The difference in quality is quite reflective on the price as well, cause a pair of Michelin Pilot Sporty costs about 3k whereas a pair of Michelin Pilot Street Raidial costs about 10k.

The wet grip is so pathetic that I'd go to the extent of saying that they're practically hazardous to ride in the rain.

Ride Safe.
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 12:36   #858
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
This is common knowledge the tyres branded Michelin for Indian application i.e
  • Michelin Sirac Street
  • Michelin Pilot Sporty(Not to be confused with the superior Michelin Pilot Street Radial)
  • Michelin City Pro
are made by TVS and have the same inherent issue i.e worst possible wet grip.

The wet grip is so pathetic that I'd go to the extent of saying that they're practically hazardous to ride in the rain.

Ride Safe.
A.P.
My wife's scooter's stock tyres were TVS and I wanted to get rid of it ASAP and now I replaced it with the same crap!

As a loyal fan of Michelin's car tyres, I thought it was in the same league of their car tyres.
  1. Does Michelin City Pro excels in any areas like braking, handling or dry grip?
  2. So which tyres would you recommend for scooters for great wet grip especially in Kerala where it rains almost half of the year?

Last edited by mithun : 29th October 2019 at 12:42.
mithun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 10:26   #859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So which tyres would you recommend for scooters for great wet grip especially in Kerala where it rains almost half of the year?
As far as two wheelers are concerned, for normal usage the recommended brands are MRF or Ceat. There are various tread options available within these two brands.
Old 30th October 2019, 14:08   #860
Senior - BHPian

NTORQ tyres are unique to TVS make only. There is no other choice. Wet grip is really bad, and MRF/Michelin should take note - bring out options.
Quote:
My wife's scooter's stock tyres were TVS and I wanted to get rid of it ASAP and now I replaced it with the same crap
Attached Images

Old 22nd November 2019, 11:29   #861
Senior - BHPian

Its time for my Amun-Ra's (Bullet 500) tires to be changed. Approx running till date is close to 50K. The tires are near to end of life.

The stock tire configuration from the manufacturer has been as follows :-
  • Front - 90/90 - 19 M/C 52P -- MRF Nylogrip Zapper FM
  • Rear - 120/80 - 18 M/C 62P -- MRF Nylogrip Zapper C

Observations till now suggests that though the zappers might be good for city roads, they are pretty risky on wet surfaces and tend to skid in turns.

Also, since Pune is having non-stop construction , on the roads usually there at times are these central broken lines. (Its that line which gets formed once the roads are laid out in piece by piece manner, thus the joint lines are present). While riding, if the tire falls over these, they usually wobble a bit. This is a bit risky. I do not have this observation on my 15+ Y old Pulsar. I am not sure if that's because of the Zappers.

My ride these days are mainly confined within city limits which are a mix of tar + concrete (plus the lunar caters)

What tire options do I have other than the Zappers for by Bullet 500 and why (along with budget, if possible)
Majumdarda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 23:33   #862
BHPian

I had replaced the Rear tyre of my TVS Jupiter with a Michelin City Pro. Wasn't aware that it is manufactured by TVS at that time. Now for replacement of the Front tyre will go with Ceat or MRF. Which tyre (front or rear) is more important in terms of grip and handling? I was planning to install the new tyre in the Rear and swap the Michelin as the front. My usage is only inside in the city and ride very sedately.
Old 25th November 2019, 01:00   #863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
What tire options do I have other than the Zappers for by Bullet 500 and why (along with budget, if possible)
I have heard good things about the Ralco Speedblaster. Though it is listed as a tubeless tyre, RE owners install it with a tube and there appears to be no problem with that. I too have been wondering what rear tyre to use and Speedblasters are probably a good choice if you are not too concerned about the fact that they are soft compound and will wear out faster. They should cost you under 2.5k for the tyre alone. For the front, MRFs should do fine.

Last edited by Roy.S : 25th November 2019 at 01:04.
Roy.S is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 08:46   #864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
I have heard good things about the Ralco Speedblaster. Though it is listed as a tubeless tyre, RE owners install it with a tube and there appears to be no problem with that. I too have been wondering what rear tyre to use and Speedblasters are probably a good choice if you are not too concerned about the fact that they are soft compound and will wear out faster. They should cost you under 2.5k for the tyre alone. For the front, MRFs should do fine.
The early wearing out should not be much of a concern, I think. But the way these tubeless tires are fixed on spoke rims is too risky and clumsy. One of my colleagues have this kind of setup and initially it was good. But now a days, he seems to be visiting the tire shop frequently. The rubber that's expected to hold the spokes, seems not a very efficient approach. Might because the road surface here is not smooth.

I would continue with the spoke wheels, but wondering what other options I have other than the Zappers.
Majumdarda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 00:59   #865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
The early wearing out should not be much of a concern, I think. But the way these tubeless tires are fixed on spoke rims is too risky and clumsy. One of my colleagues have this kind of setup and initially it was good. But now a days, he seems to be visiting the tire shop frequently. The rubber that's expected to hold the spokes, seems not a very efficient approach. Might because the road surface here is not smooth.

I would continue with the spoke wheels, but wondering what other options I have other than the Zappers.
Hello Dada,

Please check out my tyre change details here (The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!)

Ralco is a dirty tyre means due to the block pattern it throws up quite a lot of muck. I would suggest that you go for Ceat set.

Visit Anand tyre Corp next to Dapodi Bridge.

Happy shopping,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 01:05   #866
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
I have heard good things about the Ralco Speedblaster. ....They should cost you under 2.5k for the tyre alone.
The Speedblaster single handedly wins the prize for the most underrated tire in the country, so much that we had to scour the city to find a pair of Ralcos for a friend's motorcycle.

We have ordered a pair from the retailer, Blaster at front and Speed Blaster at the rear, for the 120/80-18 Speed Blaster the price is 2250/-.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 21:31   #867
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.mariner View Post
I had replaced the Rear tyre of my TVS Jupiter with a Michelin City Pro. Wasn't aware that it is manufactured by TVS at that time. Now for replacement of the Front tyre will go with Ceat or MRF. Which tyre (front or rear) is more important in terms of grip and handling? I was planning to install the new tyre in the Rear and swap the Michelin as the front. My usage is only inside in the city and ride very sedately.
You can got for tubeless ones from MRF/Ceat. Both the tyres are equally important, but front will get a few points more.

Don't swap the new tyre to front although in scooters the rear tyre will wear faster
mithun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 13:37   #868
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
We have ordered a pair from the retailer, Blaster at front and Speed Blaster at the rear, for the 120/80-18 Speed Blaster the price is 2250/-.
That's the ZMA with the Speed Blaster 120/80-18 at the rear.

Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-img_20191202_182450.jpg

For the front, we have opted for the Blaster 3.00 and flipped orientation as its originally intended for use at the rear.

Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-img_20191202_182241.jpg

Will post more updates as we cover more miles.

P.S. Ignore the Xpulse in the foreground, that's just there to compare height after the ZMA's suspensions were upgraded.

Regards,
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 4th December 2019 at 13:40.
Old 23rd December 2019, 13:41   #869
BHPian

TVS Wego: Help with going tubeless

Hello T-BHP experts, I need your help in replacing the tyres of my TVS Wego.

I own a Wego 2013 model and has now clocked 12k kms. Unfortunately Wego does not come with tubeless tyres, and I had to replace the rear tyre once due to punctures. Again the rear tyre got punctured now, and the tyre shop guy recommended to move to tubeless tyres.

I'm not a tyre expert, and hence need some help in this regard.
My usage includes 95% city drive, and 5% highways.

Few queries in this regard:

1) The Wego manual says front and rear tyre dimensions as "90/90 x 12". Is it recommended to buy the tyres exactly of this dimension? Can't we upgrade the tyres to next size like we do for cars?

2) The tyre shop guy recommended to change the rear tyre only. Is it alright to keep the front tyre tube (stock tyre), and change to rear to tubeless?

3) I see good deals on Amazon for tubeless tyres, and the prices are 30-50% cheaper than store prices. Any comments on getting tyres from Amazon and getting the fitting done from a local tyre shop guy?
Options available in Amazon for 90/90-12: Ceat Milaze, Ceat Zoom D, Ceat Gripp, Ceat Secura Neo, MRF Nylogrip Zapper, JK Tyre Blaze, JK Challenger, Micehlin City Pro, Apollo Actizip, TVS Tyres Dragon.

Last edited by scorpion_blore : 23rd December 2019 at 13:42.
Old 23rd December 2019, 15:10   #870
BHPian

Re: TVS Wego: Help with going tubeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion_blore View Post
Hello T-BHP experts, I need your help in replacing the tyres of my TVS Wego.

I own a Wego 2013 model and has now clocked 12k kms. Unfortunately Wego does not come with tubeless tyres, and I had to replace the rear tyre once due to punctures. Again the rear tyre got punctured now, and the tyre shop guy recommended to move to tubeless tyres.

I'm not a tyre expert, and hence need some help in this regard.
My usage includes 95% city drive, and 5% highways.

Few queries in this regard:

1) The Wego manual says front and rear tyre dimensions as "90/90 x 12". Is it recommended to buy the tyres exactly of this dimension? Can't we upgrade the tyres to next size like we do for cars?

2) The tyre shop guy recommended to change the rear tyre only. Is it alright to keep the front tyre tube (stock tyre), and change to rear to tubeless?on.
If the stock tires were tubed, it's likely that the stock rims won't support tubeless. At least that's what I understood when I changed the tires on my wife's Activa. I put a ceat zoom button tire at the rear and mrf upfront. Made a huge difference to the ride and grip over the stock. If your Wego came with crappy tvs tyres believe me anything will be an upgrade.

No point in upsizing tyres on scooters. It will only make them more unwieldy. These are meant to get you from point a to b.
hothatchaway is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks