Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2022, 13:26   #901
Senior - BHPian

Re: Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuisha110HP View Post
After running a set of Diablo Rosso 2 tyres for almost 3 years, I decided to change them this month. Pirelli DR2 were fantastic set of tyres. The only problem, the tyres were made in 2014. I got them in 2019 thinking they would be used within a year and then Covid struck

After around 6 years of mfg. they had started to show sign of cracks and had become extremely hard. Wasted a complete set in no more than 4000 kms

Attachment 2264565

Got to know from the instagram page of Pathpavers, Delhi that Road 5 is finally available and they imported a few. Its time for Michelin Road 5. The back was manufactured in 30/2021 and front was in 24/2020. Am I making a mistake again? Lets see.

Rode it for 50kms. Since it is still in run-in period, here are my couple of observations:

PROS:

a) Grip, grip and more grip. Just out of the box, felt like I am riding another bike. It felt so planted on tarmac.

b) Comfort: I did rode bikes with DR2, MRF revz, Apollo Alpha h1 and now this road 5. The tyres felt lighter and were comfortable over bumps with no noise. My Duke 390 ( 2014 model) wherein I feel everything on road, suddenly felt gliding( in a good way).

c) Cornering : Didnot try hard cornering as the tyres as still new, but it did hold the line wherever I tried the slightest.

CONS:

Its costly, and I mean it. For Rs 16500, plus installation and wheel balancing, it is a huge dent in pocket.

Will post my full review after a few hundred kms.
Remember Anthony Hopkins in The World's Fastest Indian.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 1st February 2022 at 13:28.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 18:58   #902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Remember Anthony Hopkins in The World's Fastest Indian.

https://Youtu.be/WwbLt8vZH5w

Cheers, Doc
Hi Doc,

Yeah. Important point to note here is the tires he used were stored properly and in a controlled environment. Here I had the sets bought from Karol Bagh, where they were lying around in temp of 45*C and above, uncovered. Plus the tires were fitted onto my motorcycle 3 years back and lying around in uncovered parking due to covid.

I closely observed the tires and they were developing cracks, prime reason for me to go for change.
Tuisha110HP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 19:50   #903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Doc,

Yeah. Important point to note here is the tires he used were stored properly and in a controlled environment. Here I had the sets bought from Karol Bagh, where they were lying around in temp of 45*C and above, uncovered. Plus the tires were fitted onto my motorcycle 3 years back and lying around in uncovered parking due to covid.

I closely observed the tires and they were developing cracks, prime reason for me to go for change.
Totally agree.

A cool dark place is a must.

Laid flat on the ground, with or without bead spacer chucks. Never one on top of the other if it can be helped and space is not at a premium. I prefer that over storing them upright.

I do the same with cycle tyres, but those I stack one above the other. 4-5 deep max. Same with foldable bead tyres (once used and opened up, I do not refold them as some do). I do not like hanging tyres like many stores do. Somehow I think it deforms one part of the bead over time.

Many suggest cling wrapping them too before storing. Never done that.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 17:02   #904
BHPian

Quote:

Got to know from the instagram page of Pathpavers, Delhi that Road 5 is finally available and they imported a few. Its time for Michelin Road 5. The back was manufactured in 30/2021 and front was in 24/2020. Am I making a mistake again? Lets see.

Rode it for 50kms. Since it is still in run-in period, here are my couple of observations:

PROS:

a) Grip, grip and more grip. Just out of the box, felt like I am riding another bike. It felt so planted on tarmac.

b) Comfort: I did rode bikes with DR2, MRF revz, Apollo Alpha h1 and now this road 5. The tyres felt lighter and were comfortable over bumps with no noise. My Duke 390 ( 2014 model) wherein I feel everything on road, suddenly felt gliding( in a good way).

c) Cornering : Didnot try hard cornering as the tyres as still new, but it did hold the line wherever I tried the slightest.

CONS:

Its costly, and I mean it. For Rs 16500, plus installation and wheel balancing, it is a huge dent in pocket.

Will post my full review after a few hundred kms.
How are they holding up? Even I wanted them for D400 but Pathpaver representative said it'll be difficult for these to do ladakh and I read reviews about these tyres getting punctured easily. How's your your experience so far?

I am contemplating upon Pirelli STR but stock is not available.
Old 5th March 2022, 17:51   #905
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil00090 View Post
How are they holding up? Even I wanted them for D400 but Pathpaver representative said it'll be difficult for these to do ladakh and I read reviews about these tyres getting punctured easily. How's your your experience so far?

From what (little?) I know about the Road series, they are great for touring and wet weather conditions while also giving long life. That said, they are not the best tires for rough road usage.

If you do plan to do rough road riding, the Pirelli Scopion Rally STR might be the better option.

Last edited by neil.jericho : 5th March 2022 at 17:52.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 22:58   #906
BHPian

Quote:

Hey Sahil,

I have a D400 as well. I have ridden 700 kms so far after the change. I would say, fantastic set of tyres. Stable at high speeds and confidence inspiring in corners. Also, I ride a 2014 Duke 390 without slipper clutch. I did couple of hard downshifts, where my previous sets would have slipped, but this one stuck to the ground. Also, I feel they are lighter than Apollo alphas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
From what (little?) I know about the Road series, they are great for touring and wet weather conditions while also giving long life. That said, they are not the best tires for rough road usage.

If you do plan to do rough road riding, the Pirelli Scopion Rally STR might be the better option.
Absolutely right. Sahil, if you are thinking of doing rough road riding all the time, they are not the set to go. I slipped once while I was riding through slush as the tyres are not left with any grooves to hold onto. That being said, one odd trip to Ladakh should not change your decision.
Old 12th March 2022, 00:22   #907
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Sahil,

Absolutely right. Sahil, if you are thinking of doing rough road riding all the time, they are not the set to go. I slipped once while I was riding through slush as the tyres are not left with any grooves to hold onto. That being said, one odd trip to Ladakh should not change your decision.
Not all the time but yes I do take my bike to roads less travelled and like saddling. I want to buy some confidence inspiring tyre, I think Pirelli STR would be better for those Saddling on rough patches and since they are dual purpose they will serve well my purpose. Right?

Also, can you give more details about this 'slipped' incident? Where? How?
Old 13th March 2022, 18:37   #908
BHPian

Bike : Pulsar NS200, Bs6 Mar 2020 model
Km : 16k
Even though most of my riding is commuting within city roads and NH, after 16k the tyres even with correct pressure, feel kind of hard such that each and every bump and stone on road is felt by me.
What would be a good option if I were to change atleast the rear tyres..
Old 14th March 2022, 22:58   #909
BHPian

Quote:
Not all the time but yes I do take my bike to roads less travelled and like saddling. I want to buy some confidence inspiring tyre, I think Pirelli STR would be better for those Saddling on rough patches and since they are dual purpose they will serve well my purpose. Right?

Also, can you give more details about this 'slipped' incident? Where? How?
Ah, it was some patch where I am expecting almost every road tire would slip. It was an unpaved road where tractors had made ditches and they were full of slush from the overnight rains. So you can imagine the situation.
Old 25th March 2022, 18:33   #910
Senior - BHPian

They Say that if a tire is being replaced, then replace the complete set. In my case, there are no issues with the tires, pretty new as well with excellent tire life remaining.

But they are Zappers! And the experts suggest that Zappers are not good for Off-Roading. And by that, I mean the mecca of we Bullet riders, Ladakh!

I, therefore, changed the rear from the Zappers to Ceat GRIPXL (with exact same stock configuration, 120/80 -18" 62P, just a few minutes back.

My question is, do I also have to change the Front tires too? What I have been told is that since the patterns are different and since I have changed the rear, the front one has to be changed too, for both safety and adequate traction, typically during the downhills.

I did not go into deep to understand the logic behind that but since I am already a proud member of the group, thought of getting the advice from the forum itself.

Front Tyre, Zapper

Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-img_20220325_143925901_hdr.jpg

Rear Tyre, GrippXL

Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-img_20220325_143901203.jpg

P.S: Not sure how will wife react once she gets to know how have I been making use of the car boot as a storage for my Bullet replacement parts
Majumdarda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 12:58   #911

160/60/17 vs 150/60/17

Asking for my Versys 650...

Has anyone swapped the stock 160/60/17 tyres will 150/60/17? How will it impact the performance, ride quality or aesthetics? I am not much worried about the speedometer misalignment though...

TIA
Old 30th March 2022, 13:09   #912
Team-BHP Support

Re: 160/60/17 vs 150/60/17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anisoft View Post

Has anyone swapped the stock 160/60/17 tyres will 150/60/17? How will it impact the performance, ride quality or aesthetics? I am not much worried about the speedometer misalignment though...

TIA
You are downsizing the size which is not really recommended for a heavier and more powerful bike. Also it affects the way in which ABS and Traction controls work with different rotational speed at front and back. Add to that chances of rim damage increases with a thinner sidewall.

From handling perspective, theoretically a smaller tyre would be a positive. But in reality that may not be the case since there are many variable that come into play.
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 20:27   #913
BHPian

Re: 160/60/17 vs 150/60/17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anisoft View Post

TIA
When you have such a great bike don't compromise on tyres. Get some good rubber for the bike. Its the only thing connecting the bike to the road and thinner tyres on such a top heavy bike is asking for trouble.
bf1983 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 22:12   #914
Senior - BHPian

What could be the downside of using a race oriented superbike tyre like Metzeler Sportec M9 RR on a heavy cruiser like Harley Fatboy on the rear wheel? Specs are identical 200/55R17 in this case.

Tia,

-BJ
Old 30th March 2022, 22:23   #915
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
What could be the downside of using a race oriented superbike tyre like Metzeler Sportec M9 RR on a heavy cruiser like Harley Fatboy on the rear wheel? Specs are identical 200/55R17 in this case.
You'll end up flattening out middle of the tyre way too quickly due to all the rear biased weight and low end torque of the cruiser. While the side profiles will remain relatively unused. You'll see belts show up quicker than you want and have lower than usual tyre life. Wouldn't recommend it.
niranjanrvce is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks