Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2013, 14:57   #1231
Senior - BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
. At highway speeds, there is zero issue while both upshifting and downshifting.
Yesterday, I went for a ride from BLR to Kolar. Was motoring along in 6th at around 110 for about 3-4 minutes when suddenly it dropped into neutral. SInce when I pressed the lever, it showed 5th, it was between 6th & 5th.

It is about 300km since the service. May be it needs a chain lube?

BTW, any feedback on muc-off dry chain lube?
Old 18th November 2013, 15:09   #1232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
The horn is pathetic. The service guys are reluctant to make any modifications to stock horn. I am going to do it myself and i picked up a cheap stebel nautilus.

Going to wire it such that its easilly removable and the stock horn is not disturbed as well as no cuts to existing wires.

Its just not a great idea to have a puny littly horn to this bike.

My bull has two symphony horns and i love it for the way i can inform the autowallas or even the trucks trying to get into my lane.

For the side stand issue, only question i have is why is the engine running if you want the bike to be on its stand while getting down. It looks like your boots or pants are hitting the lever.

I usually kill the engine if i am going to part before i use the side stand.
@ horn....Agreed. Let me help you with the best install location. Stebel Nautilus compact perfectly complements the 390, believe me, Attached pics.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20131107_180032.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20131107_1800441.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20131107_180100.jpg  

mrohit17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2013, 15:15   #1233
Senior - BHPian

@mrohit17: Looks cool. Can you put in a comparison of the stock & Stebel sounds? How is the horn? WHat happens during cleaning? Have you drilled the frame?
Old 18th November 2013, 15:16   #1234
Senior - BHPian

How much does this horn cost? Is it a single horn?
Old 18th November 2013, 15:40   #1235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
@mrohit17: Looks cool. Can you put in a comparison of the stock & Stebel sounds? How is the horn? WHat happens during cleaning? Have you drilled the frame?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
How much does this horn cost? Is it a single horn?
Cost me 2.2K. Bought from here....

http://myworld.ebay.in/evenflo-autoparts/

although its stocked out currently. Wonderful seller. No holes drilled...just used the guard mounting point. Usual precaution during cleaning no direct water jet inside the horn that's it. I have installed it in my Linea, Punto (since last two months) and now D390.

some details here:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/stebe...lack-or-chrome

The below you tube video is perfect for stock/Stebel real world comparison:

Last edited by mrohit17 : 18th November 2013 at 15:44. Reason: Added details.
mrohit17 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2013, 15:44   #1236
Senior - BHPian

http://pune.olx.in/stebel-nautilus-c...-iid-528803838

Reetu Dev is the guy.

And a host of very nice mods for KTM

https://www.facebook.com/dhavaljm?hc_location=timeline

Dhaval Mahidharia - If you are here, we are very happy to have you here, if you are not, we will be happy to have you here.

Quote:
@mrohit17: Looks cool. Can you put in a comparison of the stock & Stebel sounds? How is the horn? WHat happens during cleaning? Have you drilled the frame
Dont drill the frame. just make some custom sockets or clamps and install it. The wiring need not be cut and its a pretty self DIY installation only. YOu just need to be patient and have all the required items and accessories.

This includes good wires that can withstand 20A and a design that will work for you to remove them anytime you want to.

I am not removing the stock horn and rather creating a two way switch to continue to use the stock, retain the wires upto the stock horn and create the switch to the Stebel, install the stebel near the left crash bar at an angle, fuse and relay arrangements below the seat under a small plastic box and have just two wires running along the seat under the tank to the horns.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...(with-pictures)

Last edited by VW2010 : 18th November 2013 at 15:51.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2013, 15:44   #1237
BHPian

Before anyone goes for this, please be aware that Stebel Nautilus is classified under air horns which are illegal in many states.
Old 18th November 2013, 16:34   #1238
BHPian

Guys need a suggestion on saddle bag.
requirement is as follows according to priority
1. should be usable on RE Thunderbird and Duke 390
2. budget 3000-4000 INR
3. design should be such that it allows possibility of pillion rider

Posting this requirement here becasue I can see there are many riders who already own or will own in future the combination of RE and Duke.

At this point I am considering Viaterra Leh bag or Claw bag (though does not fit 3rd point of requirement) Any other options? Is any body already using any saddle bag for above mentioned bikes?
Old 18th November 2013, 16:39   #1239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
Guys need a suggestion on saddle bag. requirement is as follows according to priority 1. should be usable on RE Thunderbird and Duke 390 2. budget 3000-4000 INR 3. design should be such that it allows possibility of pillion rider Posting this requirement here becasue I can see there are many riders who already own or will own in future the combination of RE and Duke. At this point I am considering Viaterra Leh bag or Claw bag (though does not fit 3rd point of requirement) Any other options? Is any body already using any saddle bag for above mentioned bikes?
I bought Viaterra Claw Bag in Black. It comes with rain cover too and more useful space than other saddle bags. But will be tighten in pillion only.
aks_karthik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2013, 17:48   #1240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
Is any body already using any saddle bag for above mentioned bikes?
As mentioned before on my Baby Duke 222 thread, I am using the Peak saddlebags made by Gypsy Tents (guy called Mufi - right here in Pune - at Pudumjee Corner). His number is +919822397714, +912026356105.

These are actually for the Bullet and are big, and when fully loaded, while the pillion seat is free, the pillion footrests are unuseable.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2013, 17:54   #1241
BHPian

Stebel nautilius is a very powerful air horn meant for those huge eighteen wheelers, which is completely illegal in most of the states. I have heard the sound of the horn once and don't want to remember the pain I had in my ears. What is the point in using such a powerful horn in a small bike? The stock horn is simply inadequate for our roads but going extreme is not a right solution but utter nonsense. Just imagine the frustration a pedestrian or a fellow rider may have if they are forced to hear such loud horn? Studies shows that loud horns creates extreme discomfort in heart patients that could even cause them to die of a sudden cardiac arrest. Here on Tbhp, we are a group of people who wish to ride/drive but at the same time we have certain responsibilities towards everyone who use the road and have the right to use, like all of us.
Its our duty to abide by the law at all times when we ride/drive inorder to ensure the safety of ours as well as others.
junaid12345678 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2013, 18:38   #1242
Senior - BHPian

The twin Bosch EC6 horns ("Skoda" horn) are really good. Lots of Bullets guys (including me) using those. Lightweight and durable too (brackets and body both last long). Most car and truck guys give way (or at least pause) when they hear these, thinking there is a 4 wheeler coming from behind.

Last edited by ebonho : 18th November 2013 at 18:48.
Old 18th November 2013, 18:48   #1243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here on Tbhp, we are a group of people who wish to ride/drive but at the same time we have certain responsibilities towards everyone who use the road and have the right to use, like all of us.
Its our duty to abide by the law at all times when we ride/drive inorder to ensure the safety of ours as well as others
We want to make sure oursurrounding is clearly aware of ourpresence and will do everything to make it clear in this country. I am not being a hindrance but when you are riding at say 80-100 on a highway the stebel will now sound enough to get the truck or bus drivers attention specially when you are on their blind side. At that speed even a simple lane movement by those trucks have proven to be fatal.

Horns and lights are must in our indian highways. The one where there is no patrol that can control speed violation in the first place, lane discipline or even road sense.

Most of the roads in India dont required any engine over 100CC considering the max speed i have seen is 90kmph or max 100kmph. Yet we tread over those speeds all the time and in such cases protecting yourself is very important.
VW2010 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2013, 18:53   #1244
Senior - BHPian

I think most if not all bikers who ride on our highways will agree wholeheartedly with VW2010. Self preservation is primary. And a horn is a nuisance depending on when and where you use it - something always under the control of the left thumb of the rider. But debating the ethics and morality of hornuse/abuse further here is only going to derail this thread.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2013, 20:10   #1245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid12345678 View Post
Stebel nautilius is a very powerful air horn meant for those huge eighteen wheelers, The stock horn is simply inadequate for our roads but going extreme is not a right solution but utter nonsense. Just imagine the frustration a pedestrian or a fellow rider may have if they are forced to hear such loud horn? Studies shows that loud horns creates extreme discomfort in heart patients that could even cause them to die of a sudden cardiac arrest. Here on Tbhp, we are a group of people who wish to ride/drive but at the same time we have certain responsibilities towards everyone who use the road and have the right to use, like all of us.
Its our duty to abide by the law at all times when we ride/drive inorder to ensure the safety of ours as well as others.
You are mistaken by the name Air Horn. The Stebel Nautilus Compacts are designed for small cars and Motorcycles, they are not those 18 wheeler types and are quite sweet to hear but enough to alert. Yes they are loud but the loudness is measured with respect to distance. A stock horn if used above your head is also nuisance and make you deaf. So its the driver attitude which decides whether the horn is a nuisance or not. For me the purpose of a horn is to alert someone from far away of your incoming presence for their and as well as my safety. Stock horns are not at all audible from a safe distance.

Coming back to the thread I wanted the Fazer windscreen I had installed a little bit higher and also at some angle. So did the following very easy and simple changes and a very cheap but fine looking support idea to make the windscreen more stable and avoid vibrations.

1. Remove the number plate from the support stand and attach the windscreen to the support (existing holes will suffice) this will make it higher but it will vibrate more as it is fit only on two screws.

2. Now for the two support you will need 6 cable tie of 1' each or larger preferably black colour. Fix first cable tie on the handlebar touching the handguard fixture. Use second cable tie and fit it to the first to increase the length as in image below.

3. Pass the second cable tie through the existing Fazer windscreen hole.

4. Take the third cable tie and cut out only the lock portion.

5. Now use this to lock the cable tie coming through the windscreen hole.

6. Tighten the lock to achieve the desired angle/tension. Cut out the non-required cable tie extensions. And do the same for the second side also. Finally we have a good support which avoids windscreen to vibrate and also helps us to get the desired angle to an extent. I am sure this will be helpful to all concerned.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-1.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-2.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-3.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-4.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-5.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-6.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-7.jpg  

Last edited by mrohit17 : 18th November 2013 at 20:16. Reason: Problem with pictures attachment.
mrohit17 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks