Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2015, 15:05   #136
Team-BHP Support

Re: Your favourite GP & TT riders

Sorry Jay, but my observation is different and I politely disagree to what you have said.

Over the years, he has everyone's respect and love, had it not been that, there won't be a crowd outside his motor-home for the past decade.

Lets just disagree I can't go further than this.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 15:51   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Sorry Jay, but my observation is different and I politely disagree to what you have said.

Over the years, he has everyone's respect and love, had it not been that, there won't be a crowd outside his motor-home for the past decade.

Lets just disagree I can't go further than this.
Lets agree to disagree on that one.

In Sports, Perform or Perish is the natural rule. Over the last 5 seasons, Rossi was the fifth best rider on the grid. I have respect for Rossi's riding ability (there are better riders out there currently) but I have no respect for elements of his personality.

On a different note: People can harp through the roof that Rossi is the greatest of all time but the evidence points in the contrary. Rossi is one of the greats is a correct statement and I will agree with it.

If questioning Rossi's performance over the last 5 years is seen as a fashion and bravery, then so be it. It is Rossi who is not brave enough, First on the Ducati and now he is looking not so brave enough on the Yamaha. Bravery and not cowardice is appreciated in Sport!

Last edited by JayKis : 18th June 2015 at 15:53.
JayKis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 16:16   #138
Senior - BHPian

Gentlemen let's come back to the topic, the emotions are running high on this thread as everyone is pitching in for their favorite riders. Different riders have different riding styles may it be MotoGP, Isle of Man or Dakar. Just imagine what will be the fun when all the riders ride alike. I as an enthusiast admire the style of riding and personality of every rider both on and off the circuit. Valentino Rossi number 46 aka The Doctor is one of the greatest MotoGP riders I have seen so far. I can go back to the early and mid 90's when I started watching this sport on Television, those were the heydays of 2 strokes until 4 strokes came into the picture. I remember all of us friends used to gather in my house while calling our selves by the riders' name and saying, "Hey I am leading, I am gonna win!" innocent days I tell you.

I started watching this sport with my father who was in awe of these riders riding at break neck speed with clinical precision. Those days my favorite riders were Wayne Rainey and Mick Doohan. Come millenium it was Rossi all over the place and I kinda liked his riding style and perseverance. I also admired the way Casey Stoner and Nicky Hayden kept Rossi on his toes while racing. What Michael Schumacher is to F1 is what Valentino Rossi is to MotoGP.

Whoops forgot to add this, the motorcycles I have liked were/are from two Japanese Giants Honda and Yamaha and one Italian Ducati. I always say it is not just the motorcycle that matters it is also the rider who's riding it. Casey Stoner reminds of this with Ducati and Rossi reminds of this with his Yamaha.

P.S. Mods sorry for back to back posts please merge it with the earlier post.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th June 2015 at 16:54.
Old 18th June 2015, 16:35   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKis View Post
It is Rossi who is not brave enough, First on the Ducati and now he is looking not so brave enough on the Yamaha. Bravery and not cowardice is appreciated in Sport!
Mate,

I think you are taking this very personal. First of all you try to be a master of the subject before you comment and sound like a loose cannon. Have you mingled with these GP Riders before you making personal comments like cowardice & bravery.

Would very strongly suggest that you watch Rossi's interview that he gave earlier this year to MCN, especially the 2nd part. He did accept that he failed the Ducati Challenge. How many such people show the character to make such a strong hearted comment?

No matter what, his name will shine much longer and brighter when compared to any other racer of his era. People either love him or hate him (just like you).

Am no fan of Rossi but am more of a Team Yamaha Guy.
So am extremely happy with the results where Lorenzo & Rossi made it 1-2.

Does not matter which of the 2 riders finished first.

Moreover if you are a true lover of the sport, you just cannot stop admiring his overtaking moves that he has exhibited in the past, present and hopefully in the future as well.
I appreciate every rider for their skills on the track and their daring moves.

Peace Buddie

Last edited by ku69rd : 18th June 2015 at 16:38.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 16:45   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Not GP, and not entirely TT, this one.
But who can forget this , and its COMPLETELY underdog maker/designer.

If this jumps out as a blast from the past, Youre old like me....
Auto India, I believe, ran an article on this.
Attached Thumbnails
Your favourite GP & TT riders-brittenstatic.jpg  

mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 18:15   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Mate,

I think you are taking this very personal. First of all you try to be a master of the subject before you comment and sound like a loose cannon. Have you mingled with these GP Riders before you making personal comments like cowardice & bravery.

Would very strongly suggest that you watch Rossi's interview that he gave earlier this year to MCN, especially the 2nd part. He did accept that he failed the Ducati Challenge. How many such people show the character to make such a strong hearted comment?

No matter what, his name will shine much longer and brighter when compared to any other racer of his era. People either love him or hate him (just like you).

Am no fan of Rossi but am more of a Team Yamaha Guy.
So am extremely happy with the results where Lorenzo & Rossi made it 1-2.

Does not matter which of the 2 riders finished first.

Moreover if you are a true lover of the sport, you just cannot stop admiring his overtaking moves that he has exhibited in the past, present and hopefully in the future as well.
I appreciate every rider for their skills on the track and their daring moves.

Peace Buddie
Am not taking it to any personal level here. And I know my stuff!

The opposite of bravery is cowardice!

If Marc Marquez can be called brave on this year's Honda (pushing hard despite machinery limitations), why can't Rossi be called a coward when he was on the Ducati? He never pushed it in any race. That is cowardice when compared with rest of the best motogp riders in the grid. We are doing the comparison strictly wrt other riders in the grid.

Valentino Rossi still is not brave on the Yamaha on cold tyres both during qualifying and the race whereas Jorge Lorenzo is throughout. So is it not cowardice?

Dont you see Cal Crutchlow pushing hard the Honda every now and then, dont you see Aleix do it? So what prevented Rossi from being brave and be such a Possy (coward)?

Accepting defeat at Ducati doesn't make you a brave man especially when you first went there with the arrogance of "we will fix it in 80 seconds". It made him a laughing stock and his inability to push the bike showed cowardice.

And do I need to be privy to the motogp grid to make opinions? Then in that case are all the opinions here so privy?

Sheel picked up only a subsection of my post and this was my post in its entirety.

Quote:

Rossi vs Lorenzo vs Marquez arguments are fine. It helps keep pouring people's thinking. Some are backed up by stats where as some are just plain emotion.

One pattern observed over the years is that where there are Rossi fan boys, there is no respect! Respect cannot be a part of the equation when
Rossi himself is a pretty cheeky character for that matter as seen over the years.

To use a metaphor, Marc Márquez is likely to be found with matches in his hands standing next to the ashes of a burning vehicle. Rossi always makes sure that someone else is holding the matches when a vehicle burns down, whether or not he had a hand in lighting the fire.

Rossi is a popular rider but dont think there is any respect for him in the paddock. Like a Roger Federer respect or a Rafael Nadal one!

The flame that burns the brightest is about to die! It has been a slow and and excruciatingly painful over the last 6 years. His ability to stay has only been supported by his ability to bring in the money, otherwise he would have been booted out long time ago. It is good to see him competitive this year. Would this be his final flourish that every sportsman needs to retire in peace or would Lorenzo take it away? Intriguing season up ahead!

This poem aptly covers it.

Hungry Young Men:

Yes, when you were the hunter it all seemed so right.
But it’s much harder now to sleep soundly at night,
Now you’re older and wiser, but you don’t have the fight.
Of all of the hungry young men.
It’s not a matter of if, it’s a matter of when.

You fall to the hungry young men
They come looking for you and there’s nowhere to hide.
The young lion grows old and has to give up his pride
You’re starting to feel like you’re attacked from all sides
There’s no rest from the hungry young men.

They say all of our idols eventually fall
Their tales and their glories they fade and grow small
And the once-shiny trophies collect dust on the wall
Made dull by the hungry young men.

When you were the hunter is all seemed such fun
Now you’re starting to fade from all that time in the sun
It’s like you’re under the pump, and under the gun
Feeling hunted by hungry young men.

Last edited by JayKis : 18th June 2015 at 18:25.
JayKis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 18:24   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Am not taking it to any personal level here. And I know my stuff!
Apologies to state that you just don't seem to accept facts and pass judgemental comments on Rossi which does no good. You seem to be behaving more as a Mr Knowitall whereas I do not see any traits of a sportsmen's spirits in you.

You are not a fan of the sport and it is very much evident in your comments put across.

All the best and stay happy wherever you are.

PS:I also think its utter foolishness on my part to be responding any further to your posts.
Old 18th June 2015, 18:27   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Mate,

Exactly the point I mentioned and query I raised during our earlier exchanges in both these threads, and was put down to fanboy-ism!

Clear case of taking it very personally here and an intention of inciting arguments and heated discussions with poems, huge mountains of text, quotations and an inordinate satisfaction with going against the tide and doing something different!

What exactly is the need for posting poems and stuff and that too across threads?
Parth46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 18:30   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth46 View Post
What exactly is the need for posting poems and stuff and that too across threads?
Parth46,

Understand your situation, but Mr Jaykis is sounding more like a broken record and re-posting stuff that has already been read by me. He ASSUMED that I have not followed this thread.
Old 18th June 2015, 18:48   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Apologies to state that you just don't seem to accept facts and pass judgemental comments on Rossi which does no good. You seem to be behaving more as a Mr Knowitall whereas I do not see any traits of a sportsmen's spirits in you.

You are not a fan of the sport and it is very much evident in your comments put across.

All the best and stay happy wherever you are.

PS:I also think its utter foolishness on my part to be responding any further to your posts.
I never said I knew it all. The above is my opinion. Others, what I state are facts, based on data points. The third are credible (privy to info) people's opinions (mountains of text as you may call it). The poem is just to show that Sport is a very cruel affair because idols when they age look mortal (e.g., Rafael Nadal). Sadly in tennis, machinery can do only to a certain extent. In motogp, machinery can still make you look better.

All the data points to that Rossi is not brave on his machinery. In relative terms that is cowardice! Not being man enough!

If anyone who watches the sport regularly is a fan, then I too am one. If am betting on this sport, I better be much more prudent. In matters of money, emotion is worthless! It can cloud your judgement.

There are people who keep saying this is "my last comment" and keep coming back.

Last edited by JayKis : 18th June 2015 at 19:16.
Old 18th June 2015, 21:35   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
If this jumps out as a blast from the past, Youre old like me....
I may not be as old as you, but every time I see a picture of this I am awestruck! The ONE bike which has a story behind it that is as awesome as the bike itself! The world needs more John Brittens.
man_of_steel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 22:04   #147
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Valentino Rossi still is not brave on the Yamaha on cold tyres both during qualifying and the race whereas Jorge Lorenzo is throughout. So is it not cowardice?
So, why Lorenzo's lap-time goes down in the final laps? Why can't he ride in the rain?
Old 18th June 2015, 22:05   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post

I may not be as old as you, but every time I see a picture of this I am awestruck! The ONE bike which has a story behind it that is as awesome as the bike itself! The world needs more John Brittens.
Ouch!! Burnt....

How does she qualify on the rarity scale, just 11 around? One is the rarest bikes ever?
She looks liked such a poser, but isn't it at the tt where she clocked the highest speed?
It's quite inspiring to read about how many hair Britten pulled out in getting her to go like she went.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 22:44   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Ouch!! Burnt....

How does she qualify on the rarity scale, just 11 around? One is the rarest bikes ever?
She looks liked such a poser, but isn't it at the tt where she clocked the highest speed?
It's quite inspiring to read about how many hair Britten pulled out in getting her to go like she went.
Kind of yes, as rare as it gets! Only a handful of these beauties exist.

Poser - Yep!! it's painted in girlie colors which for me is the manliest looking girlie colors. EVER!

On that pulling the hair part, I still remember a segment from the 'One man's Dream' documentary in which the V1000 (I think in its maiden race in Daytona) comes alongside a Ducati going flatout and pulls a massive wheelie just to showoff the sheer power reserve!
man_of_steel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 23:12   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post

On that pulling the hair part, I still remember a segment from the 'One man's Dream' documentary in which the V1000 (I think in its maiden race in Daytona) comes alongside a Ducati going flatout and pulls a massive wheelie just to showoff the sheer power reserve!

From 20-30 seconds in.
mayankk is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks