Big (litre class) 42 11.83%
Voters: 355. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2020, 15:53   #286
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Big vs Small Touring Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
A long list of contestants in this comparo from Overdrive - The Hero XPulse, Royal Enfield Himalayan, BMW G 310 GS, Kawasaki Versys and Suzuki V-Strom 650s, the Tiger 800, BMW F 850 GS, Honda Africa Twin, the Scrambler 1200 and the BMW R 1250 GS.
Except for that very Bollywood-esque opening few minutes and the fact that they made the same guy dead lift all the bikes (pointless as he would be fatigued after a point), this was a very good and informative video. Highly recommended watching.
Old 20th June 2020, 02:03   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Source: ZigWheels.com: The Nicer Way Around: Does Speed Matter?.
https://www.zigwheels.com/news-featu...-matter/38575/
Very beautiful lines.
Reading stuff like this starts giving me the itch to start touring on my 10 year old splendor only as I absolutely love it. However knowing it's limitations while definitely it doesn't lack the minimum requirements it is somewhat below the ideal requirements mostly around the 70 kmph mark cruising.
darkLightning is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 09:05   #288
BHPian

For Indian conditions, 390ADV or Himalayan kind of bike should be really good. Main advantage of these bikes are service/spares availability. GS310 is a good bike. But the quality issue especially electricals is really concerning and the cost of service will be more or less similar to 650s from the Japanese stables. But if you're really into long distance and want to cover that extra mile on a single day, VStrom or Versys 650 should get the job done at comfort and pocket friendly.

The major area of improvement needed for Indian riders is that they are averse to touch their bikes even for a simple oil change. Anyone planning for touring cross country should have tools and knowledge to change oil, remove wheels in case of flat tire and other basic stuffs. I am including myself in this even though I live in a country where everything is done DIY by many folks especially bikers.

I own a VStrom 1000 here in US and it is really comfortable for me within my budget and it is a no nonsense bike which get its job done. Mine is 2014 model which I bought at end of 2019 with just 6k miles on it for just $6500. Most of my riding buddies have BMW GS/GSA 1200/1250 and older gen GS1200 were very cheap to maintain if you know your stuffs. I personally know a guy who did 125k miles in his GSA and the bike is still running perfectly. He did a world tour on this very bike and also did n number of other trips within US.
hema4saran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 15:59   #289
BHPian

Just curious, are we going to come to a logical conclusion in this thread or will this be a case of "Duck season, Rabbit season" ?
Name:  tenor1.gif
Views: 945
Size:  1.20 MB
deepfreak15 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 16:04   #290
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
Just curious, are we going to come to a logical conclusion in this thread or will this be a case of "Duck season, Rabbit season" ?
Attachment 2018701
Who ever comes to a logical decision on motorcycles? Never have, never will
Red Liner is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 20:20   #291
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Big vs Small Touring Bikes-c2cf6864ec8dc0744e88b44ee35b0c08.jpg

Though this thread has had over 300 votes with 66% voting for the medium segment, the debate will never end I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
3. There is nothing a new/more advanced/bigger motorcycle would enable you to do that you weren't already having a go at with your 100cc motorcycle, be touring or riding trail, that is just that.

The last 2 points are something I know quite well having started with a ZMA and then downsized to smaller displacement motorcycles rather than going the other way like most, speaking of which my preferred choice now is my CT100B which is my cross country companion even though I also own a P220 which is mostly used for running errands.
I am cross posting from the other thread but this is very interesting food for thought by DBHPian ashwinprakas. I am sure it is something to ponder on for everyone who voted for the medium segment and big bikes.
neil.jericho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 20:34   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 2018701
Best touring bike = TVS XL100

This is the only logical conclusion we can derive
ethanhunt123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 20:49   #293
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I am sure it is something to ponder on for everyone who voted for the medium segment and big bikes.
Was enjoying the monsoon clouds today while an old CBR went past the gate - could hear it suffer for a good 30 seconds before and after - and I was actually wondering how he will even shift to second gear. I know I certainly wouldn't want the Versys back here if I shift permanently. An XPulse will do - thank you. Even a 390ADV sounds like an overkill here.

Which got me thinking - Is it really a Kerala thing? Afterall- I've seen better highways even in the north east. Can't think of a proper road for even a medium capacity motorcycle without getting to 100kms in any of the directions away from Trivandrum (except for the ocean side of course).

We should probably factor that (location) in - and stop the one size fits all formula of motorcycle purchase advice across the nation. A motorcycle that feels fun in the straight faultless roads of TN may not be the same that feels fun in the narrow, moist and congested roads in Kerala. I wouldn't want an XPulse in TN, or a Versys in Kerala.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 21st June 2020 at 21:27.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 21:29   #294
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We should probably factor that (location) in - and stop the one size fits all formula of motorcycle purchase advice across the nation. A motorcycle that feels fun in the straight faultless roads of TN may not be the same that feels fun in the narrow, moist and congested roads in Kerala. I wouldn't want an XPulse in TN, or a Versys in Kerala.
Well said. If I was living up in the Himalayas, I think a 300cc/35 hp Xpulse to hit every single trail imaginable would fit the bill to the T. In the current crop of bikes, I would still side with the 390 adventure, the Xpulse is just too damn crude a bike to ride around every day. That gear box is just sad.

For some of us coming from a 650 class bike, unless you have something comparable in finesse at least, you will start ruing your life everyday...unless of course you ride something far more wild...like a real horse

I am beginning to see the value of having a two bike garage these days. I have still been trying to see if I can make the 390 adventure a do it all, but harder technical trails and the bike comes a cropper, mainly because of rider skill. In that terrain, I would feel far more comfortable with my starter skills on a lighter bike like the Xpulse. Either that, or I have to invest in offroad training to make the 390 adventure my do it all in “slow” technical single track. I do not want to be a motocross rider, nor do I want a motocross bike. Maybe a bit more enduro, yes.

Last edited by Red Liner : 21st June 2020 at 21:31.
Red Liner is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 21:35   #295
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Was enjoying the monsoon clouds today while an old CBR went past the gate - could hear suffer for a good 30 seconds before and after - and I was actually wondering how he will even shift to second gear. I know I certainly wouldn't want the Versys back here if I shift permanently. An XPulse will do - thank you. Even a 390ADV sounds like an overkill here.

Which got me thinking - Is it really a Kerala thing? Afterall- I've seen better highways even in the north east. Can't think of a proper road for even a medium capacity motorcycle without getting to 100kms in any of the directions away from Trivandrum (except for the ocean side of course).

You bring up an excellent point Dr CD, I have been thinking along the exact same lines for quite a while now. This is one of the main reasons why I have been keeping the Continental GT 535 with me, (despite the Interceptor 650 being a tempting upgrade), it makes even more sense being ridden in and around the mean streets of Cochin, than it did while I was in Bangalore where it had to handle terrible commuting on weekdays and wide open highways on weekends. That said, the Street Triple is too much for some of the short rides around town as well but the Versys should be a much better fit for Kerala than the Triple.

This however does run completely contrary to our DBHPian ashwinprakas's experience, where he seems to prefer the low powered CT100 for riding across India and the much more powerful and capable Pulsar 220 for running errands.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 22:45   #296
BHPian

I would like to point out that the Himalayan should win this poll hand down.
Cc of a medium bike. BHP and torque numbers of a small bike. The way it makes torque is of a medium bike but the way it makes power is like a small bike. Can cruise at 100 kmph all day and yet be a pleasure on narrow hilly roads in KL or NE.
shaikhmimran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 08:50   #297
BANNED

Quote:
I know I certainly wouldn't want the Versys back here if I shift permanently. An XPulse will do - thank you. Even a 390ADV sounds like an overkill here.
Just food for thought, though I'm pretty sure you'd have already considered this, other than parking and such nuances you really needn't worry as far as ride-ability is concerned, the Kawasaki 650 motor was designed to imitate the tractability of a large thumper, presumably the KLR650 that it replaced due to emission norms.

Hence why it can do 60kmph in 6th gear, something unimaginable on a KTM 390, as anything even close to 80kmph in 6th gear would give you that heart wrenching loud knock under load.

If it helps there are a few high mileage xBhpians who ride the Ninja 650 in Trivandrum as their daily beaters without much ado.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
he seems to prefer the low powered CT100 for riding across India and the much more powerful and capable Pulsar 220 for running errands.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Reasons are multifaceted, but to sum it in fewer words it better suits my style of riding which again is something you(general reference, same applies going ahead) either get or you don't depending on relatable experiences or the lack of it.

Speaking about relatable experiences, I was having a chat with a friend and senior enthusiast who is much more experienced and has clocked about 200k on his R15, he owns and have owned several bigger multi-cylinder motorcycles but his R15 is his beater hence the higher mileage, plus the guy commutes from KA to his hometown in OD on his motorcycle so that's that.

Anyways, he shared his experience about how his water-pump seal gave up while he was on his way home and he had to return, from Tirupati to Bangalore he had to ride the motorcycle with the help of Turmeric Powder and 500 km's oil changes.

Big vs Small Touring Bikes-whatsapp-image-20200620-6.23.41-pm.jpeg

At the end he mentioned that this was the first time he shared the experience with someone as most people would find it sacrilegious.

Which made me realize something, certain experiences teach you certain things, and only those who have experienced the same would be able to relate, no amounts of explaining the same would make any difference otherwise.

Now as everyone knows I've not personally owned any LC motorcycles(and might not own one at all) but the shared experience I'm referring to is the transcendence you experience when something goes for a toss when you're several thousand km's away from a safe haven, when getting your motorcycle towed to the nearest ASC is not an option(this is a point many try to debate, but trust me, its cause they have no hands on experience with working on motorcycles) and most if not all circumstances are stacked against you.

I distinctly know the first time I'd felt this(Back in 2013), and that surprisingly was a year or two after the time I clocked 1300+ km's in a day for the first time circa 2011. Meaning even with quite a bit of mileage under my belt the first time I experienced said transcendence it was an eye opener(panic attack as well) for me and I very well am aware of the fact that I'd go through the same quite a few more times till I give up motorcycling for good as its merely part and parcel of motorcycling as some of us know it.

P.S. This same guy once got a Kawasaki 650 and sold it within a short time after purchase, now yes, on paper the 650 is a better motorcycle than his current R3 and R15, but then again that doesn't mean anything for him if it doesn't gel with his style of riding. I've given out quite a bit of specifics that those from Bangalore who've been active in the motorcycling scene would know who I'm referring to.

Again, having mechanical mastery over the motorcycle is just one of the things I like in favor of the CT100B over my P220 which by the way is also a motorcycle I can fix, but would prefer it be the CT100B as its a on its own level as far as ease of things goes.

Another reason if you ask me is boredom, the P220 literally bores me to sleep, on a shorter run I can manage but on multiple day runs I simply lack the mental discipline to ride the P220, same is the case with several other motorcycles I've ridden that are highly revered by the masses, and surprisingly I'm not alone, a fellow enthusiast who at one point owned or rather collected several ZMA's(another obvious clue for riders from Bangalore, as this enthusiast is also well known in most circles) had shared the same opinion of one of those revered motorcycles.

Some motorcycles simply fail to engage me and people with similar tastes, irrespective of displacement, the reason I'm not mentioning any of the motorcycles is simply because I do not intend to create an all out brand war.

Again I have averaged over 500km's a day on the P220 on several multi-day runs, a memorable one being a ride to Pondy where we clocked 1600+ km's in 3 days;

Big vs Small Touring Bikes-img_20171001_072513.jpg

But if you ask my co-riders after mid-day of the second day of riding I really had a hard time keeping myself motivated, and this is the same me who rode to Kozhikode at a single stretch on the CT100B and returned the following day in a similar fashion, heck on the ZMA I'd ridden to Kozhikode and Back in a single day just to have Biriyani, a few Tbhpians(then xBhpians) namely Krishna and Ivin were also part of that ride where I was the only one who clocked 750+km's in a day on Kerala roads.

Big vs Small Touring Bikes-tbhp.jpg

I know none of the above would make much sense to many and at this point I'm fine with it, and as far as the P220 is concerned there is no hate there, it is a good motorcycle, in over 5 years she has clocked about 60k km's and would continue to clock more miles as I have no plans to part with her for sentimental reasons, but no matter how better equipped she may be in comparison to the CT100B, I'd always choose the latter over her i.e provided the God's do not test me like they did a day before last years ISG2G.

I'm sorry for the ironically long post after I did emphasize that it is something not worth explaining and even though it is obtuse to many, the question struck an emotional chord(matters of the heart I say!) and brought up fond memories from the past and it just had me typing.

So yeah, for all similar intents and purposes lets settle with;
"Different Strokes for Different Folks."

Cheers,
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 22nd June 2020 at 09:08.
ashwinprakas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 11:59   #298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Reasons are multifaceted, but to sum it in fewer words it better suits my style of riding which again is something you(general reference, same applies going ahead) either get or you don't depending on relatable experiences or the lack of it.
If this was the summary in few words, I can only imagine what a detailed reply would be like

Quote:
I distinctly know the first time I'd felt this(Back in 2013), and that surprisingly was a year or two after the time I clocked 1300+ km's in a day for the first time circa 2011. Meaning even with quite a bit of mileage under my belt the first time I experienced said transcendence it was an eye opener(panic attack as well) for me and I very well am aware of the fact that I'd go through the same quite a few more times till I give up motorcycling for good as its merely part and parcel of motorcycling as some of us know it.
I read the whole garam masala, engine oil story and subsequent explanation twice, I believe it is safe to say that I didnt get head or tail of what you were trying to communicate.

Now let me rearrange things a bit to show how I understood your summary post.

Quote:
Some motorcycles simply fail to engage me and people with similar tastes, irrespective of displacement, the reason I'm not mentioning any of the motorcycles is simply because I do not intend to create an all out brand war.
Quote:
Another reason if you ask me is boredom, the P220 literally bores me to sleep, on a shorter run I can manage but on multiple day runs I simply lack the mental discipline to ride the P220, same is the case with several other motorcycles I've ridden that are highly revered by the masses, and surprisingly I'm not alone, a fellow enthusiast who at one point owned or rather collected several ZMA's(another obvious clue for riders from Bangalore, as this enthusiast is also well known in most circles) had shared the same opinion of one of those revered motorcycles.
Quote:
But if you ask my co-riders after mid-day of the second day of riding I really had a hard time keeping myself motivated, and this is the same me who rode to Kozhikode at a single stretch on the CT100B and returned the following day in a similar fashion, heck on the ZMA I'd ridden to Kozhikode and Back in a single day just to have Biriyani, a few Tbhpians(then xBhpians) namely Krishna and Ivin were also part of that ride where I was the only one who clocked 750+km's in a day on Kerala roads.
Maybe you bought the wrong bike? For someone as enthusiastic about motorcycles as you are, I am amazed that, sentimental reasons aside, you persevere with the Pulsar 220 that
- "bores you to sleep"
- you "lack the mental discipline to ride" (very dangerous and life threatening!)
- doesnt help in " keeping you motivated"

Quote:
P.S. This same guy once got a Kawasaki 650 and sold it within a short time after purchase, now yes, on paper the 650 is a better motorcycle than his current R3 and R15, but then again that doesn't mean anything for him if it doesn't gel with his style of riding. I've given out quite a bit of specifics that those from Bangalore who've been active in the motorcycling scene would know who I'm referring to.
Maybe you should take a lead from your friend mentioned above and pick up another bike that is more to your taste?
neil.jericho is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 14:29   #299
Team-BHP Support

I think, we should just find peace with what Ashwin says as that works for him perfectly fine and we all are doing what works for us the best, I mean I have a fair idea as to what should work for me & would please me.

Agree to disagree or disagree to agree or whatever floats the boat.
Sheel is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 15:56   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A long list of contestants in this comparo from Overdrive - The Hero XPulse, Royal Enfield Himalayan, BMW G 310 GS, Kawasaki Versys and Suzuki V-Strom 650s, the Tiger 800, BMW F 850 GS, Honda Africa Twin, the Scrambler 1200 and the BMW R 1250 GS.
Surprised to see that they excluded KTM Adv 390; just a mention in the closing remarks. Maybe the effect of the KTM Adv 390 media drive video which the journos were unhappy with.

Overall, a very good detailed video. Shows why BMW 1250 GS is the favourite abroad.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks