Small bike (<400cc) 80 22.54%
Medium (e.g. 400 - 800cc) 233 65.63%
Big (litre class) 42 11.83%
Voters: 355. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2020, 17:20   #301
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Big vs Small Touring Bikes

Our IT office parking spaces that used to be crowded with commuter bikes some years ago are being replaced by scooters and Big motorcycles (relatively). The commuters are out and taking their place now is 650 twins, all kinds of enfield singles (themselves large in size if not the engine), Himalayans, Dominars, Duke 390s etc. I think riders are moving to bigger more powerful motorcycles that are city friendly to ride as well as take them places over the weekend with ease.

I`m not saying all the motorcycles I have mentioned are easy to ride in traffic , but the newer models are going to be easy to live with in city traffic. I am someone who has said that for touring you need a big bike, I would like to add that you need to drive something you can handle , perhaps best to work your way up to twin and litre class etc over many years and many many days on the saddle.

No matter what you ride, be careful - very careful - its the season of many first rains in most parts of the country, roads are slippery.

Your ABS, TCS etc etc and the Rynox and ARAI etc are not going to help when you are up against the rains and something that needs an HCV license - yep, lost someone I know to a motorcycle accident recently.
Kosfactor is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 05:15   #302
BANNED

Hey guys, I've been following a person named Markus Andre Mayer, for the reason that he toured around the globe on his 2 Stroke Vespa and I find his tale quite inspirational, which might stem from either recently acquiring and restoring a Vespa myself or from once quitting my job and touring the country, I truly do not know, nonetheless his tale is a very good read as it sets perspective on how just about anybody can follow their dreams.

Big vs Small Touring Bikes-99395751_10158542164914529_9065013693548331008_n.jpg

Anyhow, I had come across a post of his on social media(Lockdown had me back on FB after a 2 year hiatus) that gives a contrast with another popular round the globe ride that goes by the name of 'Long Way Round (LWR)', which I found interesting, hence sharing one of his post here with some formatting corrections for ease of comprehension.

Quote:
"Long Way Round" vs. "La Vida Vespa"

I never thought I would really have to explain to anybody why the two projects are nothing alike and have absolute different dimensions, but I am often surprised by how little people can relate to the dimension of a project like "La Vida Vespa" and how often people compare them.

And also even on Posts with over 5000 likes and official media coverage I still had people saying strange things like : This is not going around the world because you did not go to every country or every continent it was not long enough and I could have done if I would be rich or it is only a scooter.....or many did that already ...

So here's a bit of Clarification:

Around the world is a full circle around the planet going into one direction and the world is 40,000 kms on its Equator which is obviously not all on land so you need to use a boat or plane as well, but in my case I decided to really ride the longest possible distance on each continent and only used boat or plane where I could not avoid it.

Here's a comparison in Numbers:

Big vs Small Touring Bikes-param.jpg

So as a Resume:

Long Way Round was a fully sponsored high budget movie production by 2 Actors with a big group for support and filming including technical and medical support. I rode without support crew or logistical support alone 85% self-funded after I saved and planned 3 years. LWR was a film production that earned the guys very good money while not even paying gear or bike while I came home broke and without a job or flat or a girlfriend.

I rode twice as many countries and 89 % of their distance on a vehicle with 10 percent of the power, half the fuel range and half the wheel size and bad brakes. My daily Average riding kms was 28% MORE on my Old-timers than theirs on the brand new BMWs.

Long Way Round was a nice and fun to watch TV series and La Vida Vespa was the biggest life adventure of a nobody.

This is not comparable in any dimension or parallel universe but I showed a bit of data.

Around the world on BMW ? Hundreds of people.
Around the world on Vespa? Documented less than 10.
In 80 Days alone? 1

This was not written to criticize Ewan and his Project, but to give a bit of perspective to some critics, haters, show offs and jealous people.

On this page I want to show that even a nobody with small wallet and bike can make his dreams come true and do extraordinary things with enough determination, skills and creativity.

Maybe this inspired some to follow their dreams!
While sharing this I figured that I have one more reason for falling in love with his adventure, it is because I personally did manage to seize a similar machine(Historically and Technically they're all Vespa's irrespective of branding) within around 10~20 km's from my house a few months ago before her restoration commenced, while this guy managed to ride his around the PLANET!

Big vs Small Touring Bikes-img_20191129_113853.jpg

Markus is a very friendly guy from the very little interaction we've had and if you have any queries you can direct it towards him on his page: La Vida Vespa - 80 Days around the World by Markus Mayer

P.S. Lemme warn you!
The guy has a strong sense of humor that might not seem appropriate considering our conservative Indian standards, especially when it comes to his 'Au Naturel' photographs taken in the middle of the desert with his Vespa.
Well! You only live once, Right?!

Cheers!
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 24th June 2020 at 05:28.
ashwinprakas is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 13:59   #303
Senior - BHPian

Re: KTM's future lineup revealed - Five KTM 490 models & more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Not a chance with the full electronic suite and power figures. Versys and vstrom will be blown to dust by the 790/890adv in that segment by pure performance.

Look at the pricing abroad, you will get your answer. Btw these bikes will be CKD just like every other bike over the 5l category.
Most adventure riders will tell you that 450-600 cc and 45-65 bhp is more than enough (where too much of a good thing is not necessarily better) for proper hardcore adventure riding.

This trend of bigger and bigger and badder humungous Advs has been spawned mainly by the need to go faster on the 90% of tarmac in between, and cover big distances in compressed timeframes.

None of these bikes are really practical off road.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 15:11   #304
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Most adventure riders will tell you that 450-600 cc and 45-65 bhp is more than enough (where too much of a good thing is not necessarily better) for proper hardcore adventure riding.

This trend of bigger and bigger and badder humungous Advs has been spawned mainly by the need to go faster on the 90% of tarmac in between, and cover big distances in compressed timeframes.

None of these bikes are really practical off road.

Cheers, Doc
I know. Why do you think i sold my pristine versys and got the 390 adventure?

Big vs Small Touring Bikes-img_20180210_114912720.jpg

Big vs Small Touring Bikes-img_2435.jpeg

That said there is still a big market for these big bikes. Else a few companies wouldn't even exist now.

Husky 701 enduro anyone? Lol
Big vs Small Touring Bikes-images.jpeg

Last edited by Red Liner : 21st October 2020 at 15:18.
Red Liner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 15:41   #305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That said there is still a big market for these big bikes. Else a few companies wouldn't even exist now.
No offense to anyone here but this is the classic case of industry driving consumer behavior.

Spawning of multiple city clubs of big name brands with the adv theme.

Where we see born again bikers and middle aged uncles in ridiculous gear trying to balnce big bikes at 40 kmph.

Where the customary dropping your big expensive machines and taking 42 hi res snaps of it lying forlornly in the slush on its side with multiple guys running around on foot like headless chickens seems to be a rite of passage.

And the biggest most important skill taught is how to pick your 300 kilo bike up without getting a slipped disc or a hernia.

Ok, I'm done with my rant.

Cheers, Doc

P.S. The Versys was still a practical 600 cc.

Last edited by ebonho : 21st October 2020 at 15:47.
ebonho is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 16:14   #306
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

P.S. The Versys was still a practical 600 cc.
Not for me man. Its a practical road touring bike and i am sick of tarmac.

Btw your rant in the wrong thread. This is where you want to be: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ing-bikes.html (Big vs Small Touring Bikes)

Rant away
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 16:24   #307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not for me man. Its a practical road touring bike and i am sick of tarmac.

Btw your rant in the wrong thread. This is where you want to be: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ing-bikes.html (Big vs Small Touring Bikes)

Rant away
There is a huge amount of fun and confidence one gets by touring on smaller bikes, especially in tough terrain. Regardless of tyres.

Same point to carrying the bare minimum and not the typical Ladakh rigs one sees on bikes.

I can understand being "sick of tarmac" but unless you live on a Rossi Ranch type setup, you cannot escape tarmac to get to your favourite bit of dirt.

The moment a bike (the entire unit, with your luggage) starts tipping towards 200 kilos, no matter how big and strong you are, it becomes a handful.

The Ninjas (and Versys) are heavy bikes. Their naked is somewhat better. And they are bulky. Top heavy.

The Bullets are heavy too. But they are relatively small and not as bulky. So pretty easy to muscle around.

One of the earliest and most enduring grouses I had against the Adv was the amount of flab it put on over the Duke. I don't know where or how, but it was significant. And you get the same top heavy pendulum feel from the tank and cockpit (thanks also to the long forks that cut off road feel) as you get from the Ninjas.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 01:58   #308
BANNED

Do give this a watch, wonderful discussion.

For relativity in Indian Context;

Vintage = Anything before EFI and Digital Ignition.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 12:38   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Do give this a watch, wonderful discussion.

Vintage Motorcycles: The Good, Bad and Ugly (Ft. Ari Henning) - S2 E6

For relativity in Indian Context;

Vintage = Anything before EFI and Digital Ignition.
Your first bike should be cheap and ideally bought second hand. There is a lot of life left in those and they don't burn a hole in your dad's pocket (assuming you start riding as an 18 year old student and not later on as a working guy). Also it is less expensive a hit when you outgrow it (which you will) and want to upgrade.

I'm a firm proponent of used deals when it comes to bikes.

The only bikes I bought brand new were the Pulsar 180, the Classic 500 (ugh), and the Duke 200.

Of all my bikes, my favorites have been my KB100 RTZ (used), my std 500 (ARAI so technically used), my LB 500 (ARAI so technically used), my Duke 200 (brand new), and my Duke 390 (used).

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 25th October 2020 at 12:39.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 00:47   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Your first bike should be cheap and ideally bought second hand. There is a lot of life left in those and they don't burn a hole in your dad's pocket (assuming you start riding as an 18 year old student and not later on as a working guy). Also it is less expensive a hit when you outgrow it (which you will) and want to upgrade.
OT, but yes, I second this. I'm 19 and I have a Gixxer SF that's 7 months old almost, and I'm already bored of its power. Admittedly, I'm yet to learn every single trick there is in the motorcycle handbook, but I am so so bored of the measly power output and would like an upgrade soon (which I can only dream of, lol ).

Quote:
I'm a firm proponent of used deals when it comes to bikes.
So am I. What wouldn't I give to be able to own a well maintained Duke 390 / Interceptor 650 / CBR 250R or a middleweight sports bike?
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 19:41   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
OT, but yes, I second this. I'm 19 and I have a Gixxer SF that's 7 months old almost, and I'm already bored of its power. Admittedly, I'm yet to learn every single trick there is in the motorcycle handbook, but I am so so bored of the measly power output and would like an upgrade soon (which I can only dream of, lol ).

So am I. What wouldn't I give to be able to own a well maintained Duke 390 / Interceptor 650 / CBR 250R or a middleweight sports bike?
I'm in the same boat as you are. Turned 19 this year. Bought a used CBR 250R an year earlier. This bike compliments me very well as I have a heavy build body. I have to get its shims replaced, else its an absolute heck of a machine (for a person who used to ride commuters). Did a 100km trip recently and realised its potential. I dont ride long distances, and this being my first long distance ride, I'm enjoying it so far. It's got ample power for the city, and for the highways too.
No offence, but intially I considered 150cc faired machines when i was looking to buy a bike. And i'm glad I didn't.
Attached Thumbnails
Big vs Small Touring Bikes-img_4263.jpg  

saitvsk23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 13:21   #312
BHPian

My vote went into "BIG", good for doing touring. Heart will not stop at one but one each in all the categories.

Scooter - To get aloo pyas
Mid range - To commute to office
Big - To make weekend fun rides and occasional touring

Now a days (read as before Covid era) using scooter is very convenient for office. Just my 2 cents

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks