Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2020, 20:23   #1
Senior - BHPian

Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review

“You really do meet the nicest people on a Honda”. This is the bike to travel with friends, go on interesting expeditions and cure your wanderlust - while at the same time it doesn’t feel out of place at all in your office parking. A 'gentleman biker’s' best ride, that's CB350 for you. My bright blue Smurfy is welcomed with a smile and the conversations starts with “Wow, nice colour man. Is this available here, in India?” And I just nod my head. Have made so many friends and have had endless conversations, thanks to my Highness, the 'Blue' Blooded Royalty. We Indians have waited a lifetime for a bike (of this capacity) from Honda, and at this price. Here it is. Finally!

The 350CC engine is a lot more potent than one would expect
Acceleration is best in segment
No vibrations
Looks fantastic
LED lights are super bright
Suspension is perfect
Bluetooth connectivity
Bike has more of a roar, that announces its arrival, than a quiet rumble
Isn’t very heavy, and in fact, is quite nimble to ride
The riding position is very natural
Dual channel ABS Disc brakes inspire confidence
Switches feel premium
Loud horn
USB C Charger
Heel/Toe mechanism saves my shoes

Dislikes
The glossy black paint around switch-gear looks cheap
Attention to detail is slightly off. Eg, Left side handle grip fixed a bit cross
Honda HSVCS is android only
Most important accessories like crash guard are not available at launch. In fact, nothing is
Low set, and scrawny thin rear grab handle isn’t grippy
Thin seat fabric, wrinkles a bit in contact areas (Noticed this in black seat only, not the brown)
Seat could have been longer by an inch
Horn button could have been lower. I always press the indicator button instead
Solo service center (For now) is outside the City on Mysore Road
Service every 6 Months (Prefer annual service)
Both indicators act as DRL and stay on, all the time
Single tone colours (Red, Matte Green, Gloss Black) look sharp and should have been offered in Pro model
Misses out on bar-end weights (There is a plastic cap)

Check out the bike from this angle
Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review-honda-1.jpg

Unloading the first bike; my Smurfy
Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review-honda-2.jpg

Perfect riding stance
Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review-honda-3.jpg

CB350 logo unit can trade places with the H'ness text, proportion wise
Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review-honda-4.jpg

Smart dash
Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review-honda-5.jpg

Lax attention to detail; Left grip is fixed cross
Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review-honda-7.jpg

5 step - pre-load adjustable shocks
Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review-honda-9.jpg

Powerful and super-efficient engine
Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review-honda-10.jpg

Dual horn is very effective
Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review-img_8718.jpg

Black casing with a nice chrome contrast
Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review-img_8717.jpg

Disc brake oil canister
Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review-img_8715.jpg

Love the super light clutch action and this finish
Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review-img_8714.jpg

Helmet lock opens using ignition key
Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review-img_8712.jpg

The challengers
Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review-img_8711.jpg

My group of experienced riders
Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review-img_8705.jpg

The mirror could have been wider
Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review-img_8698.jpg

Switch-gear looks premium
Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review-img_8697.jpg

Well designed cover
Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review-img_8696.jpg

Honda logo proudly perched on top
Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review-img_8694.jpg

Retro analogue display
Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review-img_8693.jpg

Smartphone controls
Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review-img_8692.jpg

Love the simple design of this rear light
Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review-img_8691.jpg

The chrome is well finished here with Honda in reverse
Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review-img_8690.jpg

The horn is finished beautifully
Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review-img_8689.jpg

Grabs attention by the collar
Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review-img_8687.jpg

Rear looks equally great
Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review-img_8686.jpg

Scores high on looks department
Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review-img_8681.jpg

My gear and my guard dog
Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review-img_8721.jpg

Ready to go on memorable journeys
Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review-ab64a88ca6e64451a46a0110b8df1360.jpg

Born to ride
Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review-97d7a343f71a460dbe2131f7090d29441.jpg

a. My search for 'The One'
I have covered over 650 KMS on it in 4 days, and loving every bit of it. Daily, I'll average 100-150 Kms of running, as a project in far off Peenya is taking shape. It is a rediscovery of my biking past, being a 'born-again' biker. Looking back, the only bike in my consideration set was the Interceptor 650 from Enfield but the riding triangle and weight was not for my body style (I'm 165 Cms tall), so I dropped it. When Honda announced a 350 CC bike I was all ears, thinking the Rebel was coming. And it did debut in style, at a swanky BigWing showroom. My 'Topline' dealership experience was good because I was their first walk-in customer. I was waiting outside the showroom for the pricing announcement from Honda on 30th September 2020, and once it was done, just trooped in to pay Rs. 5000 as down-payment. On-road price came up to Rs. 2,49,000 with 3+3 years warranty and Road Side Assistance. The Dealership (Silicon Honda, One of the oldest in Bangalore) stuck to the promised date, and delivered about a month later on 28th October. These guys were very prompt in answering queries throughout. Mr Ayush Jain, in charge of 'Sales' over there, has been very helpful in this regard.

b. Old School reassurance - that’s CB350
The Honda CB 350 profile is industrial old school, and colours like matte gray or matte black suits it to the T. But I like colours that pop, and would have loved it in orange or even a pure bright white. So this colour is my selection from Honda’s palette, rather than what I would have liked. Dual tones on the PRO editions didn’t have many admirers, with many wanting the three base colours of Green, Red and Black in the top edition. But Blue it is and I’ll not love it any less. I have taken pains to detail it using Meguiar’s finest waxes and we named him ‘Smurfy’. Yes, the bike looks great, but is it a practical roundabout?

You bet it is! The smaller displacement engine and the svelte profile makes the bike perform well in tight corners and narrow Indian streets.

c. Rides like a dream (First impressions)
Put the bike in 1st gear, release the soft clutch, and the bike surges with some crazy torque. 2nd gear comes up easily, no false neutrals there. The bike lacks a rev counter so I'm unable to say exactly 'up-to what RPM' I can hold a gear. 3rd is my favourite for pottering around in the City, and is my preferred configuration. I have used my bike mostly in that gear for City traffic, and 4th gear for getting out into the open highway roads, ripping the throttle wide open. Not a big fan of the 5th gear as it lacks punch. You just cant overtake a faster vehicle with no power surge on tap. At best a cruiser. Thank God there is no 6th. I love the seamless manner in which the bike gives me ample power-band, under the first three gears, in any situation.

d. The low seat inspires confidence
I’m 5 Feet 5 Inches tall, and both my feet touch the ground. Leading me to feel that Honda designed this with a majority of us vertically challenged Indians, in mind. The seat seats two in a squeeze, and single riding is best. I feel the rear grab handle could have been bigger and fatter. Removing that for a side grab handle, very soon.

e. The riding position is very natural
The comfortable seat makes my rear rest snugly. The width is perfect with the riding triangle at its best. The foot-peg position helps me find sure-footing when I have to stop suddenly. The handlebar position ensures zero-strain while riding and Honda got this spot on. The bike is easy to put on center-stand (I use this mostly) despite its weight, and the side stand gives a good support when needed. The round mirrors are fine for me (though initially) I thought of installing broader/wider ones. At 80 KMPH the mirror does buzz a little and I struggle to see who's behind. So a better heft/weight should have been better.

f. The engine is a beauty
The bike takes off effortlessly and this 'thumper' pulls you through the gears without reluctance. I can happily cruise at 80 KMPH all day (Keeping speed under 80 till the engine is properly bedded in). It is an excellent urban ride with fantastic gearing (Well done Honda) and light clutch. The new assist-and-slip clutch makes riding easier. Gear shifts are butter smooth. The servicing head at Honda was telling me that this BS6 burns the fuel 100% in the engine, so there will be zero soot marks on the beautifully finished steel exhaust. 'Check for yourself in the coming days' he said. The tank takes in 15 litres, offering good range. I’ve been riding this bike for few days now and did not feel much heat from the air-cooled engine. The weather has been brilliant as well, of late, and Bangalore is cool and breezy.

g. Looks a beast and is humble at the same time
You can easily mistake this for a meek ‘cat’ till you gun the engine and it's only then that people understand the roar of a ‘lion’. Navigating the bike in group rides was very easy for me. 'Ride-stop-ride', as instructed by our group lead (on an Interceptor 650CC), was taken with utmost confidence and equal pace. The MRF Zapper tyres are well specced (Rear; 13/70-18 & Front; 100/90-19), and grips awesome. Allowing me to lean well on twisty bends.

h. The suspension offers a firmer ride, and is more than adequate
While traveling long distances, whenever I hit a bump, the CB350 took it in its stride. I’m going to tweak the suspension a bit during the first inspection in 10 days, just to see the possibilities.

i. The LED headlight is a bright performer
Never did I feel the lighting was inadequate during our night rides (Not once). It’s great under all lighting conditions. The dipper switch on the left is also used to operate high beam (Just flick it forward, and voila). Turn indicators are LED (and stay on all the time), except while blinking. That's really good from safety point of view. Tail light is all LED and a casts a bright glow. Dual tone horn is powerful and grabs attention.

j. Best mix of the old with the new
The analogue speedometer and digital readout is snazzy. The letterings are easy on the eye. I love the clock on the LCD read out, and the unit is well equipped to hand out trip data and fuel range etc. The unit gets the world’s first HSVCS or Honda Smartphone Voice control System. This connects to your android phone and I can control key functions like calls, music and navigation using a keypad on the left. Honda Selectable Torque Control or HSTC control on the meter allows you to have as much grunt as you desire. Dash shows gear position (very useful), speed, fuel level, fuel left to reserve, range - all housed in a single retro-semi-round unit.

k. Brakes inspire confidence
Shod with discs both at the front and back, the Nissin brakes stop on the dot. Initially it didn’t bite well, but after a hundred kilometers I didn’t have much of an issue. You can brake gently or firmly, no problem, it handles well. ABS is a lifesaver and reacts when needed.

l. Honda Selectable Torque Control (HSTC)
When the Honda HSTC detects rear wheel spin during acceleration, the system will limit the amount of torque applied to the rear wheel. If the motorcycle is stuck in mud, it may be easier to free it by turning Torque Control off.

m. Riding gear
I'm lucky to be using Timberland 'Metal Toe' Performance shoes, Helmets are Shoei/MT, with the latter being lighter & Scimitar gloves, jacket, rain coat. These are more than adequate for now.

I’m really enjoying this nimble, yet solid bike from one of the best bike manufacturer in the world; Honda. It’s fun, fantastic and reassuring at the same time. Great for beginners, and loved by experienced motorcyclists. Mileage stands at 38 Kilometers to a litre of Shell Super Premium Petrol (mix of city and mostly highway). Top speed achieved is 80 KMPH (reining in the horses for 1000 KMS)! So for folks who are considering this fine bike, I’d say just go for it.

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd November 2020 at 21:17. Reason: Typo
Sebring is offline   (166) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 08:27   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 08:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

Firstly Congratulations again bro !! Wishing you miles and miles of happiness on your new found love.

This being first ownership review on T-BHP, review looks nothing short of official with crisp and candid feedback.

Looking forward to hear more updates and also accessories etc.

Take care and ride safe

EDIT:
@GTO and other Mods, please consider having a separate ownership section for motorcycles. Our cars section has amazing layout and perhaps we could follow similar organisation.

Last edited by rajshenoy : 2nd November 2020 at 09:21.
rajshenoy is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 09:21   #4
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on the H'ness!

This review will surely help a lot of people. Thanks for sharing and hoping to see regular updates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
The challengers
Would you consider the Classic or Thunderbird as a natural rival for the H'ness?

I was always under the impression that it is a Classic rival, but your pictures (seating position and the rivalry image) makes me feel it is more Thunderbird than Classic.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 09:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thank you . Feels great, coming from you. I'll keep the thread regularly updated for sure. The bike in the pic is my cousin's one year old TB. I feel I'm in a better position to answer your question as we spent considerable time with it. ThunderBird is a pretty heavy bike, so for city use one would feel it tough to use. Its tubed tires come under considerable strain, one; due to weight and second; due to the heat that develops over long rides - the bike is intended to. So that's one problem area. Clutch wire goes for a toss every once in a while (God knows, why). Finding a good mechanic is a big issue, particularly in South Bangalore. So these are the guys who are keeping their eyes out for a change (I'm giving you this info from the ground), and the CB 350 is a great contender for that space (Seating geometry is better too). The selling point of the Classic 350 is in its name itself. It's a Classic (The looks, the chrome)! So that might remain untouched, unless one is troubled by maintenance woes. The CB 350 promises to be a 'maintenance free bike'. In a short presentation, they explained the air filter doesn't need to be cleaned and it lasts 18,000 Kms. Once done, you just replace it (that's it). The hard wearing spark plug needs replacement at 12,000 Kms, no maintenance there as well (For the entire period)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Congrats on the H'ness! Would you consider the Classic or Thunderbird as a natural rival for the H'ness?
Sebring is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 09:53   #6
BHPian

The ownership review is up! Congrats @Sebring on your ride again!

Yet to read in full, for now just glanced over the pictures and this review seems to be comprehensive- with details like the helmet lock can be used with the bike's key itself. Thanks for the trouble compiling it and sharing with us

Let the CB350 tribe grow!
texmonster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 09:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mileage stands at 38 Kilometers to a litre of Shell Super Premium Petrol (mix of city and mostly highway). Top speed achieved is 80 KMPH (Reigning in the horses for 1000 KMS)
That's pretty impressive to hear & wish you a 100s of 1000 Km at earliest; on account of trusting an owner than google, may I request posting the technical spec & maintenance chart from the owner's manual please?

Last edited by aargee : 2nd November 2020 at 09:57.
aargee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 10:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the trust . I have the specifications on my mobile so I'll post those pics. Hope the resolution is ok. Shall post the maintenance data later tonight
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
That's pretty impressive to hear & wish you a 100s of 1000 Km at earliest; on account of trusting an owner than google, may I request posting the technical spec & maintenance chart from the owner's manual please?
Attached Thumbnails
Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review-img_8801.jpg  

Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review-img_8802.jpg  

Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review-img_8803.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 10:33   #9
BHPian

Congrats on your Highness @Sebring. Very well written review and pictures. Glad to read the review from a BHPian, very crisp and clear details of ownership and ride. Wishing you miles of happiness and satisfaction from your Highness
Jo-G is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 11:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

So the first accessory on the bike found pride of place right up there (Right on the mantel piece). It had to be the amazing TBHP sticker, which I customised. Black on blue looks amazing
Attached Thumbnails
Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review-img_8806.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 12:00   #11
BHPian

Wow. Nice quick review. Even though it's relatively new bike, you have covered most of the things.

And congratulations again and wishing you a happy riding days ahead.

Will be checking out the ownership thread frequently.

Note: Do get proper riding boots and knee guards too.
jithudigitised is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 14:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It had to be the amazing TBHP sticker
Congratulations and all the best with your CB350 once again. May it always bring you miles of smiles.

While we all love our fabulous Team BHP forum with its fantastic depth of knowledge and free exchange of ideas, I find the Team BHP sticker on the tank looks completely out of place due to the size of the sticker vis-a-vis the tank size. It spoils the show of the beautiful blue on the tank. Of course, it goes without saying - your bike, your choice!

Ride safe.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 15:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hope the resolution is ok. Shall post the maintenance data later tonight
While we wait for the maintenance, below seems quirky like a job done in flurry. Hopefully ASC is experienced enough

Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review-capture.jpg

PS - Resolution is good enough to read, more than enough. Thanks

Last edited by aargee : 2nd November 2020 at 15:37.
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 16:24   #14
BHPian

Congratulations , what is the minimum speed in 4th and 5th gear without lugging?
Frankenstein is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 17:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations!

I am really digging the simplicity of this 2 wheeler.

As an everyday bike this ticks all the right boxes and looks great while at it. Those classic retro lines and butter smooth Honda performance The paint quality also looks promising and that blue tank stands out.

I am not a fan of putting any stickers on the tank specially such big ones but then that's just me. It takes away from the seamless look and color of the tank.

You are going to have a wonderful time with it. Enjoy!
bigron is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks