Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2020, 10:36   #106

Re: Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review

I got the delivery of my Honda Hness, Precious Red on last Friday and received my vehicle registration number on Monday via SMS. I haven't received HSRP from the dealer yet. I ride the bike with the printouts "Registered" stuck on the front and the back of the vehicle. How long can I continue to do so? I carry the vehicle registration receipt and insurance copy with me.
Jabber is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 16:56   #107
Senior - BHPian

Wow, Congrats let's see some pictures. You choice the colour Red over Bluetooth, that's interesting The TR can be used for 30 days, I'm told. I got my number today after 13 days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabber View Post
I got the delivery of my Honda Hness, Precious Red on last Friday and received my vehicle registration number on Monday via SMS. I haven't received HSRP from the dealer yet. I ride the bike with the printouts "Registered" stuck on the front and the back of the vehicle. How long can I continue to do so? I carry the vehicle registration receipt and insurance copy with me.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 23:21   #108

Thank you. Your review is very detailed and helpful
Sorry for hijacking it for an unrelated query.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Wow, Congrats let's see some pictures. You choice the colour Red over Bluetooth, that's interesting The TR can be used for 30 days, I'm told. I got my number today after 13 days
That's the issue. I don't have a TR. The regular number has been allocated by the RTO and it also shows up on their website. Can I drive with just the text "Registered" pasted for 30 days? The showroom guys said that they'll call me once they get the number plate.

I am riding a motorcycle after a really long time (close to 20 years). I usually ride my father's activa for errands. I needed a bike for my long office commute and did not want to buy a regular commuter bike. I also want to start going on weekend rides. I figured that I won't be using bluetooth much because I think I'd be distracted by it. The beautiful single tone colors were not available in the delux pro. I didn't want to book red because three of my previous vehicles have been red/maroon. I had originally booked the Marshall Green but my daughter didn't like it too much, so I changed it to red.

PS: I'll post the pictures of my bike soon.
Jabber is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 09:41   #109
Senior - BHPian

What hijack? Be my guest You should ride the bike with TR number on it and not just REGISTERED text. Police will put a fine otherwise. The TR number costs the dealer some money, which he is trying to save. The permanent number plate is going to take me another 7 days (So 20 days in total). Good that BigWing gave me this Temporary number, for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabber View Post
Can I drive with just the text "Registered" pasted for 30 days? The showroom guys said that they'll call me once they get the number plate.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 12:59   #110
Senior - BHPian

A phone holder is a 'must fit' accessory for a cruiser. And the good ones are really expensive. A RAM Mount is the best but it comes in at Rs 4000. I was about to procure one when this one caught my eye. It's from Amazon Basics (Line of products that I respect for quality), and costs just Rs 500. I find it very useful and highly recommend it. My fellow riders followed suit and ordered their units, it's that good. I fixed it to the center stem, since real estate is at a premium on both sides, and is pretty tight. Fits snug.
Attached Thumbnails
Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review-img_88111.jpg  

Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review-img_8812.jpg  

Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review-img_8670.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 08:01   #111
Senior - BHPian

I got my bike on Oct 28th, and have been taking Smurfy for market runs. The bike is quite a looker! Ownership has been event-less, though I had one issue with the chain. In 4th and 5th gear, could feel something rubbing against the toe-shifter. Then, on the highway, while overtaking a bus in 2nd - the gear dropped to neutral by itself. I lost all power and that could have been dangerous. Took it to service immediately. They told me that they're changing the setting. The very next day, even my friend had the same issue on his bike. And the chain tautness was increased slightly. They're re-calibrating this aspect. Will keep this thread updated.
Attached Thumbnails
Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review-img_9423.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 09:37   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Then, on the highway, while overtaking a bus in 2nd - the gear dropped to neutral by itself. I lost all power and that could have been dangerous.
OMG that isn’t a small flaw and did not expect from a vehicle by Honda. Makes me feel that Honda is not the same we knew. Probably it has become Honda GM (Geneticaly Modified). From other experiences (booking, customer service, dealership, etc.) it is not the Honda we admired/experienced. Seriously considering to cancel my booking.
Old 13th November 2020, 09:44   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-G View Post
OMG that isn’t a small flaw and did not expect from a vehicle by Honda. Makes me feel that Honda is not the same we knew. Probably it has become Honda GM (Geneticaly Modified). From other experiences (booking, customer service, dealership, etc.) it is not the Honda we admired/experienced. Seriously considering to cancel my booking.
Massive overreaction in my opinion man.

Any gearbox if not slotted in perfectly (especially when still new and not run in) will jump into neutral if you are in second.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 10:31   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Massive overreaction in my opinion man.
It’s not just an overreaction Doc, in all my previous experiences, Honda would have definitely done proper tests and run in, followed by a good advice to owners about the running in (do’s and dont’s during and after the run in). From my first bike to all the vehicles I owned, I had followed it and it did show up with all my vehicles to date, be it the fuel economy or the vehicle condition even after 10 and 15 years of ownership. Now back to the gear slip and losing power, I don’t think it can be brushed off as something minor, especially in a country where the highways (National and State) are still mostly single carriageways. It wouldn’t be safe or give the confidence to overtake while cruising on a single carriageway with unruly traffic and vehicles being “operated” (seldom driven) on our roads. Or maybe my age is catching up and experiences mature the thought processes to be more careful unlike the daredevilry adrenaline rush earlier
Jo-G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 10:35   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It’s not just an overreaction Doc, in all my previous experiences, Honda would have definitely done proper tests and run in, followed by a good advice to owners about the running in (do’s and dont’s during and after the run in). From my first bike to all the vehicles I owned, I had followed it and it did show up with all my vehicles to date, be it the fuel economy or the vehicle condition even after 10 and 15 years of ownership. Now back to the gear slip and losing power, I don’t think it can be brushed off as something minor, especially in a country where the highways (National and State) are still mostly single carriageways. It wouldn’t be safe or give the confidence to overtake while cruising on a single carriageway with unruly traffic and vehicles being “operated” (seldom driven) on our roads. Or maybe my age is catching up and experiences mature the thought processes to be more careful unlike the daredevilry adrenaline rush earlier
If the jumpings into neutral/false neutrals happen regularly then it's of course an unacceptable and potentially dangerous situation.

But if it happens once, especially if you're in 2nd, there could be other reasons that might not be related to the bike at all.

What I'm not getting is why an overtake would need to be executed in such a low gear? Especially at highway speeds.

Cheers, Doc
Old 13th November 2020, 14:13   #116
BHPian

Quote:
What I'm not getting is why an overtake would need to be executed in such a low gear? Especially at highway speeds.
Sir, with due respect, in our country, highways (at some places) with single carriageway, we need to cruise in second or 3rd gears and we may downshift frustratingly to move ahead of some idiotic "vehicle operator" who maybe doing a sight seeing trip or trying to locate an address on the highway. Its common, and at that time if the gear slips, it may not be good enough.

Moreover, sebring says that his friend too experienced it the next day. So fingers crossed.
Old 13th November 2020, 17:17   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sir, with due respect, in our country, highways (at some places) with single carriageway, we need to cruise in second or 3rd gears and we may downshift frustratingly to move ahead of some idiotic "vehicle operator" who maybe doing a sight seeing trip or trying to locate an address on the highway.
Yes that makes sense I guess.

Let's wait and see what the reason for such slip was.

This was common on 80s and prior gearbox designs. Including in our Bullets.

But even modern gearboxes, regardless of if the dogs have been damaged or forks bent or worn out, will jump into neutral if not properly slotted in.

Its not clear to me from the description whether Sebring moved up into 2nd from 1st though or went down into 2nd from 3rd.

As you will appreciate, the dynamics are very different. And so could be the reason of the slip.

Cheers, Doc
Old 13th November 2020, 17:43   #118
Senior - BHPian

I had parked by the wayside, started my bike, and was zooming off (From 1st to 2nd). When this occurred. It happened quite a few times, actually, then they said they fixed it. Today I took it out on highway to test, and it did not recur - thankfully. But I can still feel some chain contact (very minute) in 5th gear (On the toe). So I'll have that looked into on Monday. Another friend has some sound coming from the front shock absorber - and the shiny horn casing. But the bike is great, overall. Teething troubles are always there in new products. Not worried. The 6 year warranty and RSA is reassuring
Quote:
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 18:32   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had parked by the wayside, started my bike, and was zooming off (From 1st to 2nd). When this occurred. It happened quite a few times, actually, then they said they fixed it. Today I took it out on highway to test, and it did not recur - thankfully. But I can still feel some chain contact (very minute) in 5th gear (On the toe). So I'll have that looked into on Monday. Another friend has some sound coming from the front shock absorber - and the shiny horn casing. But the bike is great, overall. Teething troubles are always there in new products. Not worried. The 6 year warranty and RSA is reassuring
A quick Google shows that this is/used to be a common problem in cases where the lever is not sufficiently engaged upwards to slot properly into 2nd (which could be the case when zooming off and through the gears from 1 to 2 past Neutral based on muscle memory from other bikes and gearboxes).

This is why i asked whether it was 1 to 2 or 3 to 2.

Also, this "could" have something to do with there being a heel-toe shifter where there "could" be inadvertent heel pressure causing an incomplete slotting or jumping back to neutral short of a complete slot.

Let's wait and see.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 01:11   #120

I noticed something towards the end of my 28 km commute on Friday. This was the first time I took it out on a single ride of that distance . It seemed that smoke was coming out of the engine which thankfully turned out to be steam from the rain drops falling on it. I had already driven in light rain for around 30 minutes and was waiting under a flyover for 2-3 minutes when this happened. Is this normal?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks