Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2023, 17:29   #391
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650cc, now unveiled

Is it just me or do others also want a tachometer as an accessory instead of the tripper navigation pod?

This is in reference to spy pics of the classic and scram 650 which seem to use the same dash as the SP650.
advstreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 17:39   #392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by advstreak View Post
Is it just me or do others also want a tachometer as an accessory instead of the tripper navigation pod?

This is in reference to spy pics of the classic and scram 650 which seem to use the same dash as the SP650.
I want all three , hope we can get the tacho later.
Old 17th January 2023, 18:37   #393
BHPian

Had a chance to checkout the Super Meteor today. I love the way Royal Enfield manages to mask the weight. This bike weighs 241 kilos but just doesn't feel like that. I sat on an Interceptor immediately after I sat on this bike, and even that bike felt the same.

Super Meteor is a looker. It will grab a lot of eyeballs on the road. And the exhaust note, sweet would be an understatement.

Showroom has no clue as to when testride vehicles would arrive. Nevertheless, I can't wait to get a testride
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650cc, now unveiled-img20230117111255.jpg  

Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650cc, now unveiled-img20230117111302.jpg  

Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650cc, now unveiled-img20230117111317.jpg  

Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650cc, now unveiled-img20230117111330.jpg  

saikishor is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 18:56   #394
BHPian

Saw PD's review on youtube and heard Varun complaints about the rear suspension, and i see the rear suspension looks to be a normal hydraulic one and not the Nitrox which RE's used to have in the prev generation motorcycles like Bs6 classic, Int/GT 650s.

I guess this could be a valid negative point.

I recently picked up the Classic 350 reborn with this stupid hydraulic suspension and i feel the rear suspension is too harsh and rebound is too sharp. At times it makes the rear unsettle as well. Wait... if anybody want's to mention about adjustable rear suspension, Do note by default this comes in the softest setting. From pictures/Videos, i see even Meteor 650 comes with default/softest setting.

You can find internet is filled with info about many of the Reborn/Meteor 350 user's changing the rear suspension to the older BS6 classic's Nitrox suspension in search of solution for this suspension issue.
Not sure why RE failed to get the suspension right for the otherwise better product.
DRIVE_ADDICT is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 20:27   #395
BHPian

Popped into the Bellandur RE Showroom to check out some boots and they had an Astral Blue Super Meteor on display. Must say the bike is stunning and has a lot of presence. Being a Meteor 350 rider, I was curious to see how different its bigger brother would feel. The riders saddle felt about the same to me, perhaps slightly wider than the 350. Footpegs were further forward set. The LED headlamp is BRIGHT. Instrumentation and tripper are a straight lift from the 350. The pillion seat on the non touring variant is plain inadequate. Surprisingly, there was no one even paying attention to this bike. Everyone was interested only in the Classic and the Hunter. Given the pricing and the lack of any real competition, I think RE has another winner on their hands with the Super Meteor 650. I feel this bike will do better for them in the American Market than it would in India.
rahulcmoulee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 20:34   #396
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I had booked an interceptor 650 on the 9 th of Jan. The sales guys we're very emphatic on the fact that the booking amount was now refundable as it was a customized build. When I saw the supermeteor launch, I sent an email to Royal Enfield customer care asking whether the booking could be transferred to that of a super meteor. The Interceptor delivery date is a tentative march end. I thought I would push my luck. RE poltely refused to do the booking change. Sad!
Old 17th January 2023, 20:47   #397
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulcmoulee View Post
I feel this bike will do better for them in the American Market than it would in India.
The Super Meteor's launch price in UK is just 10-15% cheaper than the Legendary Harley Iron 883. Price difference should be similar in USA as well. At such a hefty price close to actual American Harley, this wannabe American cruiser is bound to fail.

BTW contrary to popular belief, the Interceptor/GT twins also do not sell that well even in UK. Surprisingly RE Meteor 350 was the best seller for RE overseas until the reborn Classic 350. Unlike the domestic market, the exclusivity of the "twin cylinder" engine does not fly overseas in the sea of parallel twins from other manufacturers.
tarmacnaut is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 23:35   #398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeevsulu View Post
I had booked an interceptor 650 on the 9 th of Jan. The sales guys we're very emphatic on the fact that the booking amount was now refundable as it was a customized build. When I saw the supermeteor launch, I sent an email to Royal Enfield customer care asking whether the booking could be transferred to that of a super meteor. The Interceptor delivery date is a tentative march end. I thought I would push my luck. RE poltely refused to do the booking change. Sad!
When you do customize the bike, do they give you the original parts with it? Or do they reduce the amount?

If no to above questions, then I think its best to get the bike as is and then buy the accessories separately.

That way:
- you'll have your original equipment as well for the same price you spend on customizing it
- your booking amount may be refundable
- your waiting period may be lesser

Last edited by Gordon : 17th January 2023 at 23:42.
Old 18th January 2023, 00:19   #399
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

That is where the fun part is. All i have ordered is for the little more comfortable seat. Nothing else. According to Royal Enfield, once you choose a specific color, for eg Mark 2 which I choose, the bike is customized. They have various price points for various colors. Nothing about the price or parts is clear.
rajeevsulu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 06:35   #400
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmacnaut View Post
BTW contrary to popular belief, the Interceptor/GT twins also do not sell that well even in UK.
You may want to recheck on that -

2019-
Quote:
Enfield’s all-new, twin cylinder 650 was hugely anticipated before its arrival in the UK this year and attracted massive crowds at Motorcycle Live at the end of 2018 so perhaps it’s no surprise that it has become the UK’s best-selling bike in the 125-650cc motorcycle category.
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocia...-uk-bikes-2019

2020-
Quote:
The Indian-built 650, which comes in both roadster Interceptor and café racer Continental GT guise, instantly became its European best-seller, overshadowing the likes of Triumph’s Bonneville in the British firm’s own back yard and, by undercutting the Brit by over £2000 yet ticking many of the same boxes (in being a novice-friendly retro twin), was almost too good to be true.
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocia...ng-motorcycles

2021-
Quote:
This has been a very good year for Royal Enfield as it continues to make strides beyond its crucial domestic Indian market, where even a moderate downturn in sales impacts its entire global count, such is its big bike homegrown dominance when it comes to big bikes.

Indeed, us Brits are having a bit of a love affair with the one-time English marque, as demonstrated by the excellent early sales for the new Meteor 350, which would be knocking on the door of the top ten here had it gone on sale earlier in the year.

Nevertheless, Royal Enfield is still represented in the overall top ten by the larger Interceptor 650, with buyers adoring its no-nonsense classic styling, bargain price tags and honest running gear to choose it over myriad models it is pitched against like the Yamaha XSR 700.
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocia...-uk-bikes-2021

2022-

Quote:
It has been a fantastic year for Royal Enfield in the UK with the old-fashioned-turned-fashionable Indian marque landing a trio of top ten entries here, beginning with the model that kicked off the UK’s newfound obsession with the firm.

Indeed, the Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 has comfortably established itself as one of the UK’s favourite full-size motorcycles since it was launched in 2018 and has remained steadfastly popular in the face of newer opposition.

With buyers attracted by its classic looks, no-nonsense riding performance, lifestyle image and, of course, attractive prices, the Interceptor 650 is also the third best-selling twin-cylinder-or-more model.
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocia...ing-bikes-2022
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 07:21   #401
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I think that's what I posted, RE Meteor 350 is the best selling RE in the list, followed by the Classic 350. Interceptor is behind these two.

Agree, the interceptor is still in 10th position so not that bad of a seller. But still the 350s have outsold the 650s by more than 2 times.

Last edited by tarmacnaut : 18th January 2023 at 07:25.
Old 18th January 2023, 08:56   #402
BHPian

My biggest concern in all the reviews is the what all the testers say about comfort of the ride. It is supposed to be hard and road imperfections are felt. This means it makes it more difficult to bear the bumps because of the forward set foot pegs and cruiser seating.

This would be a deal breaker for me, if true.
Mafia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 08:59   #403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think that's what I posted, RE Meteor 350 is the best selling RE in the list, followed by the Classic 350. Interceptor is behind these two.

Agree, the interceptor is still in 10th position so not that bad of a seller. But still the 350s have outsold the 650s by more than 2 times.
The Meteor 350 is a cruiser and should not compared with the INT650 which is a street bike. We will have to wait and see how the Super Meteor fares now. I am guessing it will go to the top spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia View Post
My biggest concern in all the reviews is the what all the testers say about comfort of the ride. It is supposed to be hard and road imperfections are felt. This means it makes it more difficult to bear the bumps because of the forward set foot pegs and cruiser seating.

This would be a deal breaker for me, if true.
I believe the rear suspension setup is firm to provide high speed stability. Also it's not a difficult thing to fix in case it's really that bad. People have changed the rear shocks on other RE bikes to another variety as posted by someone earlier in the thread.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 18th January 2023 at 10:36. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Kindly use the Quote+/Edit functionality to quote multiple posts.
Old 18th January 2023, 09:13   #404
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Quote:
The Meteor 350 is a cruiser and should not compared with the INT650 which is a street bike. We will have to wait and see how the Super Meteor fares now. I am guessing it will go to the top spot.
This was just a comment on popularity of 350cc vs 650cc platform. However, In my original post (below), I did compare the Super Meteor to the Harley Iron 883, a cruiser. It is over ambitious in terms of pricing just being 10-15% lower than the legendary Iron 883 in UK.

In my opinion, the chances of making it to the top spot with this kind of pricing are pretty slim. Lets wait and see. Below is my original post.

Quote:
The Super Meteor's launch price in UK is just 10-15% cheaper than the Legendary Harley Iron 883. Price difference should be similar in USA as well. At such a hefty price close to actual American Harley, this wannabe American cruiser is bound to fail.
Old 18th January 2023, 10:04   #405
BHPian

RE has played it smartly here I'd say. From their configurator the touring seat cannot be added for the base versions. It seems it comes as a factory fitted exclusive to the top variant. I'm sure there will be aftermarket options but if you add up all the accessories to the base variant the difference is negligible about 15k which is covered by the dual paint scheme. I believe they should've atleast added those sump guards as a standard fitment for the top variant.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks