Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2022, 10:23   #361
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review

Ather Energy CEO Tarun Mehta has reacted to Ola Electric's Chief Marketing Officer Varun Dubey explaining the difference between ARAI-certified range and true range. Link

Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-smartselect_20220108101950_twitter.jpg

Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-smartselect_20220108102253_twitter.jpg

Full interview with Varun Dubey on Ola Electric Scooter Dispatches, Deliveries, ARAI and real world range difference.

Last edited by Venkatesh : 8th January 2022 at 10:36.
Venkatesh is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 10:36   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia View Post

Surprisingly, even Team-BHP members who are positive of such developments have been on a negative streak. Some of the negative members are not even potential customers.
I feel this is one of the very good thing about the T-BHP forum. All the constructive feedbacks are noted by the manufacturers and it shows in their products ! Most notable OEM I can think of is Tata and Mahindra. It is not a written rule that you have to be a potential customer to give negative feedback ! If I'm buying this Ola scooter, I'd want it as niggle free as it gets! Sorry I just don't understand this blind following for EV's ! Sure it is the future of mobility in coming years, but I feel ardent EV enthusiasts should take the criticism sportingly !
Akshay6988 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 11:40   #363
Senior - BHPian

Ola Electric will be increasing the braking power of the reverse throttle in a future software update.

Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-smartselect_20220108113808_twitter.jpg

Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-smartselect_20220108113753_twitter.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 10:12   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Status on app shows "Dispatched from factory" for last few days.

They could've delivered it even by pushing it all the way as delivery location is Bangalore itself

Looks like they changed the status for all orders targetted for Dec to "Dispatched" to back their claim of being on target!!
They have changed the status back to "your scooter is getting ready" after I wrote to support asking them to give a definitive date for delivery as it has been dispatched for a week+ now.
null is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 11:31   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
I feel this is one of the very good thing about the T-BHP forum. All the constructive feedbacks are noted by the manufacturers and it shows in their products ! Most notable OEM I can think of is Tata and Mahindra. It is not a written rule that you have to be a potential customer to give negative feedback ! If I'm buying this Ola scooter, I'd want it as niggle free as it gets! Sorry I just don't understand this blind following for EV's ! Sure it is the future of mobility in coming years, but I feel ardent EV enthusiasts should take the criticism sportingly !
The issue I have with the negativity is against what I saw between the Ola launch and the test rides. Even before the delay of the test rides were announced. Even before the company has had a chance to allow testrides of a flawed product, people were making disparaging comments. That same streak has been continuing. While I wholeheartedly support fact based criticism, I felt the negativity stemmed from the individuals personal biases.

A flawed product is rightfully bashed. I have no issues about highlighting the products shortcomings.
Mafia is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 18:22   #366
Distinguished - BHPian

Ola gets back to the media with the actual range figures of its S1 and S1 Pro. Its ARAI certified range is 181 kms while it says the actual figure is 135 kms. They drew a flak for the discrepancy. With deliveries having started, customers are jittery that on paper claims are not true such as the range.

Quote:

Varun Dubey, Chief Marketing Officer at Ola Electric, hinted that the EV maker has been subjected to unfair criticism over the matter. In an interview with news channels on Friday, Dubey said, “All vehicles have to receive a local ARAI certification which always provides a figure which is higher than the real-world mileage. This is standard industry practice.

Facing flak, Ola had earlier clarified that the true range of the electric scooter is 135 kms. However, it also said that the true range can only be achieved if the scooter is used under conditions like only one rider weighing less than 70 kgs riding in normal mode in city conditions where roads do not have inclines more than five per cent and no extra load on the vehicle.

During an interview, Dubey said, “ARAI is the law. We have to get that certification. We have put that number out on our website. And we have also shared with customers what the true range is which, by the way, no other manufacturer puts on their website."
Rival Ather's CEO Tarun Mehta took to twitter to take a dig at Ola's claims :-

Quote:

The explanation did not help the criticism to die down. Even on Friday, Tarun Mehta, the CEO and co-founder of Ola's rival Ather Energy, took a dig at Ola's true range. Mehta wrote on Twitter, “Just heard an Ola rep say that they are the first OEM to talk about TrueRange (the range that you will actually get in city conditions) when Ather LITERALLY has the trademark on that word. Not even kidding. "
Ola's Dubey countered the Ather CEO's comments:-

Quote:

Ola Electric's Dubey, however, would hit back too. “It is a little surprising that people in the industry are behaving as if variations from ARAI is happening for the first time. If you look in the traditional auto industry, there is a certain mileage that you have from ARAI certification and then there is a real world mileage. Everybody asks and finds out what the mileage is. Now let us look at the data. On average, the variation that industry has between ARAI range and what they deliver in the real world on mileage is about 30 to 40%. Ola’s data from 181 to 135, the ARAI had 25% variation. So, we have the lowest variation in the industry."
The link:-

https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...621430407.html

We have seen many advertisements claiming x, y, z kmpl fuel consumption figures by OEM's. They usually put an asterisk * and clarify at the base that these are under ideal testing conditions. Whereas it appears that Ola was during their earlier claims ignorant of such clarifications traditionally issued by OEM's.

And now here Ola's claim for buyers to be blessed with the actual figure of 135 kms per charge is applicable only for a single person weighing 70 Kgs as passenger, no inclines greater than 5 percent and with no extra loads on the vehicle, are all riders that the buyers need to note. Hilly places on the Himalayan foothills, Western Ghats, Eastern Ghats, Aravallis, Satpura range and so on could be places where the actual range could get lower. And if the passenger weighs 55-60 Kgs he gets a few kms extra, going by Ola's assertions, while if the passenger weighs 80 Kg or more, or the rides are with a pillion the actual range gets reduced.

When lovebirds go pillion riding on an Ola S1/ S1 Pro they must plan for trips of 50 + 50 kms and no more.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 9th January 2022 at 18:32.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 19:38   #367
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I don't get this window business. Have they completed delivery for all the customers in the first window? Did Ola get only 4000 full paying customers?

My window for purchase opens on Jan 15th. Will I get my delivery in 3-4 days as ola is now producing 1000 scooters a day?

Will Ola park the scooters that are produced for now, say 5000, parked for next 5-6 days and ship it without quality checks? The issues reported by customers sometimes are so basic, it is obvious there is no QC happening at any level. The pressure to ship upon assembly seems high.

Or this is just a photoshop job. There is a big gap in reality and pictures.
Are you planning to pay up the full amount if Ola allows you to, on the 15th of January? Or will you wait and see if Ola can sort out its elementary QC issues?
Old 9th January 2022, 20:01   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzydealhunter View Post
Attachment 2255756

Had a DM request for the input information for the charger. Hope this helps.
So its a 14cell in series battery and they discharge it down to 2.5v per cell( with charger going down to 2.3x v per cell probably to revive a deep discharged battery pack).
DIY410 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 09:50   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Are you planning to pay up the full amount if Ola allows you to, on the 15th of January? Or will you wait and see if Ola can sort out its elementary QC issues?
I am unable to decide to be frank. Some people have had no big issues, some have major problems with the scooter.

Sometimes, I am inclined to drop the booking as of now and just get a IC engine scooter for now. Look at the EV scooter market again after a few years.

Most Ola S1 reviews have advised to wait. I need a scooter this month.

Please advice.

I know you have made your stand clear already that you cannot in good faith ask anyone to pick an Ola scooter as it stands.
Mafia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 11:25   #370
BHPian

Quote:
They have changed the status back to "your scooter is getting ready" after I wrote to support asking them to give a definitive date for delivery as it has been dispatched for a week+ now.
Well, things seem to be moving. Just got a call asking for the PAN card copy. I presume that I should be getting the scooter in next few days - fingers crossed.

About concerns, I think Ola is doing a fair job of getting issues rectified when reported. Issue reported by one individual is being echoed by 100s of them, esp on youtube, making it feel as if 100s are facing the same issue IMO.

Most issues reported online are around scratches / damages & panel gaps. I guess one needs to do a thorough check when they deliver it/before accepting.
null is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 15:02   #371
BHPian

Quote:
About concerns, I think Ola is doing a fair job of getting issues rectified when reported. Issue reported by one individual is being echoed by 100s of them, esp on Youtube, making it feel as if 100s are facing the same issue IMO.
I do agree 100% on this, (though I have my own thoughts on engineering. Under promise, over deliver is what I like).

I test drove one vehicle near my house in Bangalore. This is really a good product. Should not be compared to any Chinese imports, Period! Again, I hope OLA improves rapidly on external issues. I do have a reservation for OLA and Bounce. I cancelled simple energy and my decision will be based on after seeing Bounce product. I like removable batteries.
pogo0120 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 15:08   #372
BHPian

Quote:

Most Ola S1 reviews have advised to wait. I need a scooter this month.

Please advice.

I know you have made your stand clear already that you cannot in good faith ask anyone to pick an Ola scooter as it stands.
If you must need to buy a scooter this month, I'd suggest you buy any one of the ICE scooter from second hand market. Do not go for a new scooter, as I feel the steep prices these new scooters demand are not justifiable at all. Jupiter, Access, Activa all these are mechanically sorted scooters, and built to last. Let Ola sort out it's teething issues and maybe a year later or two, you can always pick up the Ola S1 scooter
Akshay6988 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 15:13   #373
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post

Full interview with Varun Dubey on Ola Electric Scooter Dispatches, Deliveries, ARAI and real world range difference.
He is speaking from a "script" which is written up to paint a very positive picture, often talking over the interviewer. This is very common and somewhat arrogant start-up behaviour, - they have all the funds they need and more, awards are heaped on them, they become media darlings, and governments are cosying up to them to create jobs. Only trifle problem is a couple of real world issues have cropped up - like not being able to ramp up production as expected, not being able to produce consistent quality vehicles, not being able to organize the logistics to get the vehicles delivered and registered on time and finally the product not giving anywhere near the range projected. Why should emperors of the Indian business world.like OLA not brush aside these tiny concerns?

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 11th January 2022 at 15:15.
84.monsoon is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 17:20   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post
Ola Electric is now producing almost 1,000 scooters per day as per the CEO.

Attachment 2255223

Source:
https://twitter.com/bhash/status/1479040382885236737
I met a very senior automotive industry titan recently. He too felt that this whole electric two wheeler thing sounds very fishy. Something like a pump and dump scheme. Only time will tell what is going on.
If he was not sure, then sure as hell I am not buying anything electric anytime soon.
Old 12th January 2022, 15:27   #375
BHPian

Please read my comments on Bounce Scooter thread. Now, OLA looking good to me..

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post5234469 (Bounce Infinity electric scooter launch on December 2nd. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 68,999)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks