Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2023, 02:14   #601
BHPian

Re: 2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_heart View Post
Hi all,
Does anyone know which is the top variant.
I have booked for Hanle Blp
The top variant is Summit.
It has two colours : Hanle Black and Kamet White.
aviator1101 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2023, 04:12   #602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator1101 View Post
Does the phone screen brightness affect that of the bike's display?

If it does not, like the volume in Bluetooth devices do, then I think it solves lot of problems. After starting the navigation, set brightness to minimum and keep using the bikes display.

That way, both heating and battery usage issues of the phone should be taken care of.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
You're right. It's independent. The Tripper Dash has it's own brightness setting.
shyamg28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2023, 11:57   #603
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm halfway through the Youtube reviews of the Himalayan 450 videos that I have lined up for my weekend watching but I have a really fair idea about what the new motorcycle is all about. From everything that I have seen so far, I think Royal Enfield has made its best motorcycle, yet. Clearly, I am not the only one who thinks this way. The response from the motorcycle community has been tremendous, and this includes riders who werent in the Royal Enfield camp for the past several decades. Royal Enfield has its finger on the pulse of the Indian (and global) motorcycling market. Of that there is no doubt.

Overall, there is a palpable sense of excitement for the upcoming launch of the Himalayan 450 in Goa. Im very curious to see how they will price it. Purely from a business perspective, I think Royal Enfield can easily get away with less than aggressive pricing because of everything that the new product, the extensive service network and the brand, collectively bring to the table.

So far, there are only 3 things which I am wish were different
- The integrated rear brake light and indicator setup. Ive seen this on other motorcycles in international markets and honestly, I think its less safe than the traditional setup which worked perfectly well! That said, the motorcycle industry seems to be gradually moving to this configuration so you cant blame Royal Enfield for following suit.
- The lack of adjustable levers. Im sure that Hitchcocks, TEC and other well known engineering companies will comes out with premium products for this within a few months. This will be a must have for some riders.
- The Kaza Brown shade is a pale, off white colour and not actually brown. Wait, what? Did Royal Enfield's paint supplier accidentally order an extra 100,000 litres of white paint, thereby diluting the planned brown colour which was supposed to be a true tribute to the mountains? If you de-sticker the Kamet White, it would look pretty similar to the Kaza Brown.

These minor points aside, Im loving everything about the new Himalayan 450. Once I further downsize my 2 wheeler garage, I have a strong feeling that a fully loaded Kaza Brown Himalayan 450 will join my Continental GT 535 sometime in 2024!

For now, Ill be content with keeping the following image as the wallpaper on my computer.

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-gallery21920x1080-1.jpg
neil.jericho is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 11th November 2023, 12:38   #604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
P.S.: Two review videos that are top of my list - BigBearBangalore and...I cannot wait for the MotorInc First on this!
Shyam, great review.
1. How much is the reserve fuel? Hope it’s down to 2-3L from the irrational 6L on the 411. Also, is it E20-25 compatible?
2. Is there any vibes on the tank and pegs? I grip the tank with my thighs while riding and that’s not possible on the 411.
3. Did the stock seat feel like the touring seat over 100 km? They certainly look premium and well padded.

I have completely alienated all headlines, reels, posts and YouTube videos about the bike from 29th, just to see teambhps review and Abhinav bhatts videos without any opinions which started coming this week, and boy you and him have it perfect. His 58 minute discussion/experience with another experienced rider is definitely worth the watch.
100Kmphormore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2023, 12:59   #605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
Shyam, great review.
1. How much is the reserve fuel? Hope it’s down to 2-3L from the irrational 6L on the 411. Also, is it E20-25 compatible?
2. Is there any vibes on the tank and pegs? I grip the tank with my thighs while riding and that’s not possible on the 411.
3. Did the stock seat feel like the touring seat over 100 km? They certainly look premium and well padded.

I have completely alienated all headlines, reels, posts and YouTube videos about the bike from 29th, just to see teambhps review and Abhinav bhatts videos without any opinions which started coming this week, and boy you and him have it perfect. His 58 minute discussion/experience with another experienced rider is definitely worth the watch.
Thank you!

1. A very pertinent question especially coming from Himalayan owners who casually do 150kms in Trip F itself but I forgot to ask this. We also couldn't test any of that since they topped up fuel on both days.
One thing to note - although the fuel gauge shows 4 distinct bars, it's really an analogous update to fuel capacity...so you will see a bar partially reduce instead of reduction in a full bar post quarter tank consumption as such. Making sense?

2. Vibes on the handlebar, tank and seats when at 4-5k rpm. Bosky mentions foot pegs as well. For me, I couldn't feel it on the pegs. But these weren't vibrations that distracted me too much. Or ended up giving me a tingling sensation as such. So not really a big problem. However, I still want to test it back home to understand the rev bands better. The footpegs are rubber mounted to the frame to reduce vibes so that's definitely helping.

3. The stock seat is aces! I don't know how the Hima 411 touring seat feels, but this one is nooooicceee! Firm enough, not as firm as the katoom adv 390. Rider seat is wide and long so you can adjust over the course of a long day if you want. Important to note that the seat tapers nicely where it meets the tank making the apparently "tall" 825 or 845mm seem not so tall.
I was pleasantly surprise that the 845mm on the 450 saw me flat footing with some bend at the knee while the 835mm on my V Strom 650, has me just about flat footing. This is definitely due to how narrow the seat on the Hima gets towards the front. The pillion seat too is longer and firm.
As aviator1101 pointed out, the touring accessory seat will be available, at 832 to 852mm.

Watch BigBearBangalore too if you like his style. I personally do.

So....getting one?

Last edited by shyamg28 : 11th November 2023 at 13:18.
shyamg28 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th November 2023, 14:21   #606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Once I further downsize my 2 wheeler garage, I have a strong feeling that a fully loaded Kaza Brown Himalayan 450 will join my Continental GT 535 sometime in 2024!
OT but you'll sell both the Gixxer and the Striple?
Old 11th November 2023, 15:01   #607
BHPian

Quote:

A very pertinent question especially coming from Himalayan owners who casually do 150kms in Trip F itself

So....getting one?
I am particular about NOT doing more than 30 km, not even that if I see a bunk. Especially after one fuel pump change under warranty. I even sync up my break spot with a refuel. Good information on the fuel indication, thanks! After half tank, the speed with which it falls to the red is faster than the bike but unfortunately it’s spot on.

It’s a probable on my list, probably April 2024 after the first batch of beta testers and will share space with my 411
100Kmphormore is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th November 2023, 18:57   #608
BHPian

Heh! Seems like the only thing it shares with its predecessor is the brand name.

The one thing that puzzles me just a little is that in engineering this bike it seems to have lost one of the things that made the 411 such a favourite - it’s poke low down. Every reviewer has remarked how it seems to just fall off below 3k (or come to life above it, depending on how your view it). While this is still great for touring and the highway, it seems that one would have to work the gearbox, throttle and clutch a lot more in city traffic, and on trails which aren’t just straight and dusty. As such, this seems to mimic the behaviour of the KTM 390 Adv and the one flaw that the platform has. In which case, pricing being no consideration (and pure RE love being set aside), I personally don’t see why one wouldn’t buy the KTM which is a real beast in just about every other dept.

Perhaps when they test it at sea level it may be better than reported thus far. Curious to see how this pans out because for anyone who wants it as a commuter as well, that might be a significant factor.
RT13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2023, 19:43   #609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT13 View Post
Heh! Seems like the only thing it shares with its predecessor is the brand name.

The one thing that puzzles me just a little is that in engineering this bike it seems to have lost one of the things that made the 411 such a favourite - it’s poke low down. Every reviewer has remarked how it seems to just fall off below 3k (or come to life above it, depending on how your view it). While this is still great for touring and the highway, it seems that one would have to work the gearbox, throttle and clutch a lot more in city traffic, and on trails which aren’t just straight and dusty. As such, this seems to mimic the behaviour of the KTM 390 Adv and the one flaw that the platform has. In which case, pricing being no consideration (and pure RE love being set aside), I personally don’t see why one wouldn’t buy the KTM which is a real beast in just about every other dept.

Perhaps when they test it at sea level it may be better than reported thus far. Curious to see how this pans out because for anyone who wants it as a commuter as well, that might be a significant factor.
My opinion - it needs to be called out for how it's different. Yes. But it isn't lower enough to warrant concern. If you look at the torque curve between the 411 and the 450, you'll notice that the 450 provides more torque from 2500rpm (or even below) itself. But there is a difference in feel vs the Himalayan for sure. You may down shift a bit more often on the 450.
But it is not at all comparable to a KTM, which comes alive much much later.

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-20231030_185745.jpg

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-20231030_185904.jpg

And you might certainly be right - a mean sea level test (such as Abhinav's (abhinavbhatt) or Jasveen's (twenty3rides)) would be worth factoring in.

In my experience, singles that have provided ample torque below 3000rpm have usually always lacked buckets of power in higher ranges. The next closest all-rounder then becomes a twin 500 or 650 (which I have ridden in the mountains too). This 450 seems to have a really wide band offering more practicality

Edit - P.S.: I think Enfield singles have spoilt us a lot. The Katoom's lack of low end torque is a topic for another discussion, factual yes, but is the effect of it exaggerated? I believe so.

Last edited by shyamg28 : 11th November 2023 at 20:12.
shyamg28 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th November 2023, 22:41   #610
BHPian

The all new Himalayan seems to be adequately crash proof too.

Excerpt from an article published by Cartoq :

The new Himalayan 452 has been designed to take such impacts effortlessly with optimal protection in the places that are prone to damages during such mishaps. In these pictures, we can note that the fuel tank and the engine were all protected by the steel trellis frame and tubular cage.

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-royalenfieldhimalayan452crashedaftermath.jpg

Link to main article: https://www.cartoq.com/royal-enfield...s-impact-well/
aviator1101 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th November 2023, 23:03   #611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsenroy View Post
Stalling Issue on the New Himalayan

I have been watching review videos all day, and about half an hour back, i chanced upon a video posted by the hilarious Yammie Noob, who was invited for the launch in Manali. He explains that, time and again while on the 2nd gear at round 3k rpm, the engine just dies on deceleration. he even captures it on video. He feels that it could be an issue with the pre-production bike, and claims that only he, and another rider experienced it, but i hope the engineers at RE take note.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=SUOBiJTSCbk

Yammie Noob has published a new video detailing the stalling issue that he mentioned on the review yesterday.

bsenroy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2023, 00:34   #612

Quote:
Thank you!

Watch BigBearBangalore too if you like his style. I personally do.
Bosky also mentioned about the .5 sec lag in the ride by wire. Did you also feel the same?
Renaissance Man is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2023, 09:47   #613
BHPian

MotorInc's first impressions are out:

klgiridhar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th November 2023, 10:04   #614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissance Man View Post
Bosky also mentioned about the .5 sec lag in the ride by wire. Did you also feel the same?
Yes. There was a lag for sure. A distinct lag. But not so noticeable that you'd be bothered by it when riding, but noticeable nonetheless.
shyamg28 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2023, 10:40   #615
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator1101 View Post
The all new Himalayan seems to be adequately crash proof too.
Between the 6.30 and 7.05 minute mark of the following video, the reviewer explains how battle and crash ready the new Himalayan 450 is. Rather impressive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaught View Post
OT but you'll sell both the Gixxer and the Striple?
Im half way there. The Triumph Street Triple 675 recently found a new home. The Gixxer SF 250 will soon be looking for a new owner as well.
neil.jericho is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks