Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2010, 15:47   #766
Senior - BHPian

The Ninja has attacked me !!!

Saw the bike on display in Pune last year and was impressed. But sadly couldnt digest spending 300K on a 250cc bike. Looked for a used 400cc bike in the same price range but was still skeptical.

Called our very own Manson for advice and he was right. Spending 300K on a 10+ year bike with probably no clean papers would be a headache. Sourcing parts and a mechanic and finding a good, clean and well maintained bike did not score over the Ninja 250. Plus the 250 is a new bike with loads of tech and much better than a dated 10 year old used (and probably abused) bike.

Thanks Manson. You helped me make up my mind.

Went to the ProBiking showroom yesterday (Indra Nagar, Blore) on my way home from work. Ogled and drooled at the 2 ninja's in black and green. Had a lengthly chat with the staff on the bike, finance etc. One of them was nice enough to let me sit on the bike and get a feel of it. Boy i loved it.

I have finally decided to buy the baby Ninja and in the trademark Green color.

This has been a confusing moment for me. Spending so much on a bike did not appeal to me. I would rather save the moolah for my son's education. Was torn on a decision and turned to my wife. But, wifey was by my side and said "go ahead and indulge. College education (engg. or medical) costs a lot of money but that's 2 decade's away".

Now back to the topic. The dealer offers a finance option for max tenure of 3 years at 13.99% interest. Down payment is 100K. EMI's come to 8k per month.

Does not come cheap as the interest comes to almost a lakh or slightly more. Cost of the bike will therefore come to 400K with finance. Not worth it.

Checked out HDFC for personal loan and i think I am going with them. See below. Will shop around for better deals before I make a payment to the dealer (40K booking and 90 day waiting).

All excited now as this is the First Import i am getting. Will check around and make the booking in a few weeks.

Need some info on the below posts please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmechanic View Post
Kawasaki is reportedly recalling the Ninja 250R motorcycle model that bears the ‘2009-2010 model-year’ tag. The recall has been issued due to a detection of a possible oil leak that can be highly hazardous.
Any confirmed news or update on the above recall information? Has Kawasaki or Bajaj recalled and rectified the issue on any ninja 250's sold in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCarz View Post
Guys I have been noticing droplets of oil whenever i park my bike after the ride. Was going to check this with the Bajaj guys on the weekend.
Hey DreamCarz, has Bajaj managed to rectify the issue? Please elaborate on the issue and how it was attended to and resolved. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Don't even bother with Bajaj. Go to a superbike mechanic.
No disrespect S6. Consider me a rookie, but the issue is with the porosity of the engine casing. What can a SBK mechanic possibly do to rectify the problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Freak View Post
PS- Guys, Bajaj has started selling accessories for the bike, the first of which is the rear seat cowl, i have got one for my green baby and she looks awesome, will post the pictures soon.
Hi SF, AFAIK, the rear seat cowl is the " hard cover" on the pillion seat. Please let me know what is it's function? Is it for aesthetic purposes only? kindly post a pic or two.

Will keep you guys updated on the Ninja. Thanks for reading the long post.
Attached Thumbnails
2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R. EDIT - Launched at Rs. 2.7L Ex Showroom-loan.jpg  

Last edited by n_aditya : 17th February 2010 at 15:49.
Old 17th February 2010, 18:35   #767
BHPian

Welcome to the gang. i found the interest rate pretty high as well. I picked up a personal loan from HDFC of rs. 160k and paying an EMI of 5586 for 3 years. Since green is the most common colour, opted for black.

The cowl is strictly for aesthetic purpose only. But the bike looks fab with it. costs around 3.5k and available with the dealer itself.

Last edited by balenopower : 17th February 2010 at 18:39.
Old 19th February 2010, 09:54   #768
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower View Post
Welcome to the gang.
Thanks dude.

Quote:
The cowl is strictly for aesthetic purpose only. But the bike looks fab with it. costs around 3.5k and available with the dealer itself.
Could you post some pics of the bike with the cowl installed? What other accessories are available with the dealer? Are these off-the-shelf or do they have to be ordered?

Also I noticed the rear seat has a lock in place. Isn't this is a storage compartment for the rider's gloves?

Most importantly, are the service guys from bajaj trained to handle and service this bike? I dont want to risk giving this bike to a dealer service center and regretting later.
Old 19th February 2010, 10:46   #769
Senior - BHPian

The 2 Ninja's I ride with have no such leaks so I don't think You're going to get one of those as you will be getting a bike from a new shipment for sure. There's a waiting period of 4 months.

Initially, the Bajaj guys didn't know whats happening when you took the bike for servicing. They took over 4 hours just for a service! Haven't heard lately what the situation is though.
Old 19th February 2010, 12:19   #770
Senior - BHPian

Congrats dude would be waiting for you to get the delivery
Old 19th February 2010, 13:00   #771
BHPian

i havent taken delivery of the bike..still awaiting..here's a pic of another bike before the cowl was fitted and after.
Attached Thumbnails
2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R. EDIT - Launched at Rs. 2.7L Ex Showroom-adilninja1.jpg  

2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R. EDIT - Launched at Rs. 2.7L Ex Showroom-adilninja2.jpg  

Old 19th February 2010, 13:07   #772
BANNED

Hey n_aditya, Congrats buddy. Thats one awesome bike. You back in Bangalore?
Old 19th February 2010, 13:39   #773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 2 Ninja's I ride with have no such leaks so I don't think You're going to get one of those as you will be getting a bike from a new shipment for sure. There's a waiting period of 4 months.

Initially, the Bajaj guys didn't know whats happening when you took the bike for servicing. They took over 4 hours just for a service! Haven't heard lately what the situation is though.
Thanks for the reply Sir. The Probiking dealer in I-nagar blore mentioned 3 months waiting time and delivery could happen possibly earlier too.

Glad to know that the newer bikes dont have the "porosity" issue.

I checked with the dealer on the approx. time it takes to service the bike. I assumed it would be a day or two. . The Probiking manager said it takes around 4-5 hours since they need to remove the entire fairing to service the bike and fit it back on.

P.S. Thanks for ur reply Sir. I have read all your posts and I am awestruck with your knowledge of bikes and passion for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Congrats dude would be waiting for you to get the delivery
Thanks man. Will post the pics and a report of the delivery process. But that's a few months away.

Quote:
i havent taken delivery of the bike..still awaiting..here's a pic of another bike before the cowl was fitted and after.
Thanks for the pics balenopower. It does look neat. I am assuming the cowl fitment and removal process is a DIY thingy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Hey n_aditya, Congrats buddy. Thats one awesome bike. You back in Bangalore?
Yes dude. Back after 5 years and it sure is good to be back.

Thanks for all the replies people. I appreciate it.

If someone can post a review on the service part, that would be great.

Last edited by n_aditya : 19th February 2010 at 13:45.
Old 21st February 2010, 23:02   #774
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations Aditya, I am so glad that you've taken the easier, more sensible route through a 3L budget than scouting around for a clean, well kept 400. Thatwas a difficult one some four years ago, almost impossible in 2010 bud.
The Ninja 250 is a great bike from what I have seen off late, and would keep you happy for a while. Now lookup the aftermarket stuff I suggested before you spend all your moolah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Thanks for the pics balenopower. It does look neat. I am assuming the cowl fitment and removal process is a DIY thingy?
Absolutely man!

manson.
Old 22nd February 2010, 11:27   #775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Congratulations Aditya, I am so glad that you've taken the easier, more sensible route through a 3L budget than scouting around for a clean, well kept 400.
A BIG thanks to you Manson, for helping me in the decision making process.

So excited now that the bike is on my mind constantly... even when I am asleep.

Quote:
The Ninja 250 is a great bike from what I have seen off late, and would keep you happy for a while. Now lookup the aftermarket stuff I suggested before you spend all your moolah!
I was thinking of an end can. Either 2 Brothers or Yoshi. Need something loud. What would you suggest? Saw many on the net like HR1, Magnaflow, etc. Would it be advisable to pick up a full system or just a slip on.

My parents will be back from the US sometime in July. If they get the end can along with their baggage, would they be liable to pay duty? The Carbon Fiber Yoshi is around USD 700/- IIRC.

Last edited by n_aditya : 22nd February 2010 at 11:28.
Old 22nd February 2010, 15:05   #776
BHPian

Wow, Congrats Aditya.

Its time to meet You and Your ride, sooner than I thought.

Have loads of fun.
Old 22nd February 2010, 15:37   #777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
Wow, Congrats Aditya.

Its time to meet You and Your ride, sooner than I thought.

Have loads of fun.
Thanks dude. Bike will be booked by mid march or sooner and delivery will be around early or mid june hopefully.

But of course, we dont need to wait that long just to meet up.
Old 22nd February 2010, 15:59   #778
Senior - BHPian

So you booked the bike huh?
Old 22nd February 2010, 16:29   #779
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was thinking of an end can. Either 2 Brothers or Yoshi. Need something loud. What would you suggest? Saw many on the net like HR1, Magnaflow, etc. Would it be advisable to pick up a full system or just a slip on.
A green Ninja in the group is equipped with a two brothers, and it is quite a loud pipe. Someone else was going to get the Akrapovic too.
The Yoshimura slipon is apparently a quieter exhaust than the Two bros.
HR1 has some nice trick shorty pipes, the 954 pipe that they have on their website is a sweet sounding example. Email them for a video to get an idea of how it sounds on the Ninja.

If you intend to keep the bike for long, and do not mind spending, just get a full system man. Full systems are always loud, and the wee bit extra power would do well to keep you entertained as well.

Quote:
My parents will be back from the US sometime in July. If they get the end can along with their baggage, would they be liable to pay duty? The Carbon Fiber Yoshi is around USD 700/- IIRC.
The duty for parts is in the range of 29% odd, but I'm guessing you could just bring a slipon with you within baggage. A full system will have to be brought in vide cargo.
I'd suggest you touch base with Straight6 on this as he looked up a lotta stuff before he ordered the two bros for ou common friend.

manson.
Old 23rd February 2010, 10:57   #780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So you booked the bike huh?
Not yet Sir. Booking will be done by march 2nd week latest.

Quote:
If you intend to keep the bike for long, and do not mind spending, just get a full system man. Full systems are always loud, and the wee bit extra power would do well to keep you entertained as well.
Thanks Manson. As of now I am just curious and looking around. No plans to mod the bike for a year atleast. I do intend to keep the bike for a few years till the bigger ones are within range.

But i am sure, i'll enjoy this bike. From a Kinetic honda to a hero honda CD100 to a Suzuki Fiero now, I am sure the Ninja is going to be one helluva bike for the years to come, at least for me.

Thnx for all the help Manson and S6. I appreciate the advice and inputs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks