Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2010, 13:22   #151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
They aren't really that good but as they are fairly new, they should be holding up pretty well and i don't think it should be a cause for concern,
look at the other way around,
i go crazy sliding the motorcycle and the motorcycle makes me go crazy by fish-tailing
Thanks Sheel, that should be fine then. ANyways I am not going to go crazy plus I dont have any riding gear until now so got to take it easy.
Old 1st April 2010, 13:56   #152
Senior - BHPian

Yes they are the crappiest OEM tires that I have come across.

As per me be extremely careful when you see water on road, over a period you would know what they can handle. I slow down drastically if I see water or gravel on road which wasnt the case with earlier bikes.

One thing which is applicable in your case is that your bike has very low running which means the tires are barely used, I just hope they have not become more hard than what they were.
Old 1st April 2010, 18:16   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
.... I slow down drastically if I see water or gravel on road which wasnt the case with earlier bikes.
+1.. Totally agree. The tires are really bad and dont offer grip on the wet or on gravel. I too follow the above ritual every time i see a water patch on the road.

Sammy, finally completing the 1000k's.. Well hoping to see your post on Monday claiming to have crossed 1000kms. And also a snap of the top speed attained from the instrument console
Old 4th April 2010, 21:15   #154
Senior - BHPian

Finallyyy

They say a pic is worth a 1000 words, well my friends here in Tbhp is the pic that is worth a 1000 kms .

Yes, after months of waiting and waiting I finally managed to complete the elusive mark. Didnt get a chance to redline though as there was a lot of traffic, but will do that on some empty road sometime soon
Attached Thumbnails
Sammyboy's Menace - Apache RTR 180. Update : Now Sold-1k-kms.jpg  

Last edited by sammyboy : 4th April 2010 at 21:16.
Old 5th April 2010, 11:31   #155
Senior - BHPian

Phew finally

Good to see this man, I hope to see you clocking more kms on the RTR
Old 5th April 2010, 12:19   #156
BHPian

Well done! You deserve a medal
Old 5th April 2010, 12:59   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Phew finally

Good to see this man, I hope to see you clocking more kms on the RTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
Well done! You deserve a medal
Hee hee Thanks guys, yeah I never imagined clocking 1k would be such a pain
Old 6th April 2010, 16:27   #158
Senior - BHPian

for completing the 1000 kms!!

Now give the car some rest and start riding the menace some more.

Hope you clock more and more miles with the RTR. Let me know if you need some help!!
Old 6th April 2010, 17:30   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
for completing the 1000 kms!!

Now give the car some rest and start riding the menace some more.

Hope you clock more and more miles with the RTR. Let me know if you need some help!!
lol, thanks abhinav . Unfortunately I am out of town starting tomorrow till monday so this weekend is lost. I was planning to ride it to office today but thanks to some work being done on the OMR, its full of mud and it was pretty hot in the afternoon too so decided against it. I also got a sms from the Tristar guys informing me of my 4th free service. This time I will ride in with my head held high and speak full sentences rather than mumbling excuses for not having completed the run in period

Last edited by sammyboy : 6th April 2010 at 17:32.
Old 6th April 2010, 22:36   #160
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
4th free service.
4th service=~7500kms
ride more sammy
Old 7th April 2010, 13:01   #161
BHPian

At first look I thought its 10,000 and I almost fainted. Then I read your post and saw that faint looking dot.

Congrats.
Old 7th April 2010, 13:29   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
4th service=~7500kms
ride more sammy
Yeah man...just completing 1k has been tough enough for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by nav75 View Post
At first look I thought its 10,000 and I almost fainted. Then I read your post and saw that faint looking dot.

Congrats.
lol, Thanks man. Imagine that. I cant imagine such a scenario myself for a loooong time to come.
Old 5th August 2010, 14:59   #163
Senior - BHPian

Well well been a very long time since I have updated the report, so here goes it.

The RTR completed its 1st birthday on the 14th of July 2010, covering about 1500 kms till now. This is pretty much on track with the number of kms I had expected to cover per month (100-120) and an improvement over 1000 kms in 9 months compared to the next 600 kms in the next 4 (thanks to the push by my fellow tbhpians).

Got the last service done by Tristar and the bike is running well.
A few points to talk about :

1. The black paint from the extended acclerator grip has come off slightly and I am not happy with that. The bike is always in the basement parking and there is no reason for something like this to happen. It has never fallen either.

2. The front right indicator works sometimes and doesnt work sometimes. Asked the service guys to check that and it was fine for a day but its back to intermittent working again.

3. I opened the tank cover to fill in petrol and was shocked to see water around the tank recess around the fuel tank opening. THere is a hole to drain the water from there but it seemed to be clogged. Got the tank cleaned along with the drain cleaned at the service, just to be on the safe side. There is also slight rusting on the tank cap on the inside, though not so much as to worry me.

Other than these issues the bike runs really well. I havent really ripped it like mad as I only drive it in the city. Maybe touched about 90-100 on the Inner Ring road when there was little traffic and the bike was very stable. The tappet noise is an ever present phenomenon on the RTR so one has to get used to it.

The bike is almost always ridden with a pillion (my wife) and she feels pretty comfortable on it. The bike also doesnt really feel underpowered with the pillion and pulls smoothly. Both of us always wear our helmets and its fun watching the reactions of other riders at the traffic lights. Most of them give us a "Showoffs" look, othertimes its the " he must be a bad rider look thats why the poor lady has to wear a helmet" look as well

The brakes are spot on and with approximately a 70% front and 30% rear combi working perfectly. The tyres arent exactly confidence inspiring so I dont really test them much, keep the bike as straight as straight as I can with minimum tilts.

Last edited by sammyboy : 5th August 2010 at 15:03.
Old 5th August 2010, 19:37   #164
Senior - BHPian

nice to see an update here

As for issues

1) Could it be possible that the bike fell (accidently by someone else in parking)? Check if the peeled area is smooth or rough. Also I think you mean the handle weight bars, right?

2) Is it only the front or rear too(did you observe rear)? also has this started after a ride in rains? If yes then probably a problem with the switch (remember I had issue with flash/pass switch)

3) I believe this does happen in other bikes too, this might be because of the humidity, am not too sure though

70:30 breaking is good ratio & work good on RTR, it specially helps in the rear not jamming & skidding.

Hope to see more kms on the Odo in the coming days (after the monsoons that is)
Old 5th August 2010, 20:03   #165
Senior - BHPian

Hey dude, nice to hear from you after so long. Judging by your location, doesnt look like you have been biking plus i understand why you sold off the RTR.
Quote:
nice to see an update here

As for issues

1) Could it be possible that the bike fell (accidently by someone else in parking)? Check if the peeled area is smooth or rough. Also I think you mean the handle weight bars, right?
Yeah, thats the term handle weight bars duh...
The peeling off is from the top and smooth so doesnt look like the bike would have fallen. Plus the way it is parked and the place its parked its pretty impossible for it to fall.

Quote:
2) Is it only the front or rear too(did you observe rear)? also has this started after a ride in rains? If yes then probably a problem with the switch (remember I had issue with flash/pass switch)
Its only the front and yeah, it just struck me that the pass switch also had stopped working. Thats okay now but the indicator is back to intermittent working.
Quote:

3) I believe this does happen in other bikes too, this might be because of the humidity, am not too sure though

70:30 breaking is good ratio & work good on RTR, it specially helps in the rear not jamming & skidding.

Hope to see more kms on the Odo in the coming days (after the monsoons that is)
Yeah man, hope to ride it more after the monsoons. Have been steadily increasing the distances of the rides so who knows

Most Viewed