Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2010, 12:06   #181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post

Hey Sriram, long time bro . I would love to do early morning rides but I am just not a morning person, hate getting up early ...hee hee
But yeah, maybe one day...when the Ninja comes .
We should probably pick one up soon - I am bored of the 150 cc stuff
Old 26th August 2010, 15:51   #182
BHPian

Quote:
@amit purohit20, where does your odo reading stand as of now and what fuel economy does she return(city and highway)?
i'm planning to buy an RTR180 but the only thing stopping me is the quintessential question, "kitna deti hai?" my college happens to be 17kms(through city) or 22kms(through highway) from my house and i'm allowed only one liter liquid gold per day.so should i go for the 180 or settle for the 160?
My odometer is somewhere around 3200 kms after my Leh trip. It gives 44-45kms/litre on highway for sure. In city somewhere around 41 kms/litre. On a general RTR180 will give 40-45 kms/litre and RTR160 will give 45-50 kms/litre in general conditions. Offcourse the mileage will come down as it gets old.
Old 26th August 2010, 21:08   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post

No Friend, I am not lugging the engine, as you accelerate you reach a band 4.5k-5k where strange noise comes from the engine. The noise is like a piston slap.When the piston is loose in the cylinder and you accelerate hard you can hear the piston slapping against the cylinder.I used to have the same noise in TVS Victor too when tried to accelerate hard.Although I know this is not piston slap but it feels so.In Victor this used to come at higher revs and used to continue till the time i reduce the throttle while accelerating hard.But in RTR180 its only between 4.5k to 5k. I dont feel vibrations at handle or footpegs though.This cannot be a tappet noise as tappet noise should be throughout the operation band of the engine.Once 5k crossed this noise subsides.This band is the most used band even while driving in Leh and so had to live with this noiseThe bike feels weak in this band and once crossed again starts accelerating smoothly.I feel this is the resonance band for the bike.
Yes, like I said tappet sound would there through out, also am now curious as to what causes these vibes at these low rpms (RTR 160 has them at around 6.5k -7k & so did ZMA)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
No doubt Karizma is a better tourer than RTR180 but for a person like me who is upgrading from Victor I felt even karizma has a bent forward position.All 150+ bikes have bent forward position except Unicorn and I think GS150.I think you upgraded from Pulsar so didnot feel so. But the spine cannot be perfect Vertical in Karizma.Passion,Victor,Honda Shine,Unicorn,GS150 are the bikes where you can have a bend at the elbow easily and keep your spine perfect straight.I think Thunderbird too should be the same,but no way ZMA can keep the spine perfect straight.We have to bend a little.Although one can easily adapt to this position so no issues...
Yes I agree, I was comparing it to the bikes which had bent forward positions & ZMA definetly has slightly bent forward positions when compared to bikes like Passion, Victor etc.

Btw contrary to popular notion, in all my bikes, on highway I used to get equal or slightly less mileage than city as I used to ride fast on highways, it was only in group rides where I used to get a lot better mileage

The RTR 160 in Pune City traffic in rip mode used to give me 38-40 kpl. The best I ever got was during intial run-in period which was 50kpl
Old 26th August 2010, 21:38   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Yes, like I said tappet sound would there through out, also am now curious as to what causes these vibes at these low rpms (RTR 160 has them at around 6.5k -7k & so did ZMA)
Interesting to note this. Coz in my RTR160, it starts at around 5.5k and goes away around 6.5k... The moment i cross 79kmph on the speedo and hit the 80's the vibes vanish like magic and the bike craves for more right hand treatment.

But like you correctly pointed out, it falls into the 5k-5.5k RPM range in the city riding and its a royal pain with the vibes from the handle bar (minor) and foot pegs (major)
Old 26th August 2010, 21:42   #185
Senior - BHPian

My bad, 6.5k-7k was for ZMA, for RTR its around 5.5k-6.5k though never below 5.5k
Old 26th August 2010, 22:02   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
My bad, 6.5k-7k was for ZMA, for RTR its around 5.5k-6.5k though never below 5.5k
Yup! Agree that its never present below 5.5k and is smooth as ever!
Old 30th August 2010, 15:42   #187
Senior - BHPian

It was a nice day for riding yesterday so after a lazy first part of the day we decided to take the RTR and just loiter on the roads of Bangalore.

Started at 3pm, reached home at 6:30 pm after riding through Indiranagar, Koramangala, HSR, Sarjapur road, ORR, Whitefield, areas around Hebbal - took a short coffee break here for about 20 mins then to Cox town, Ulsoor back to Indiranagar (there we sat quietly outside the Probiking showroom staring at the Green Ninja lustfully for about 5 minutes) then with a deep sigh and renewed vows to get her home as soon as possible came back home.

All in all covered over a 100 kms within the city, thanks to very little traffic really enjoyed the ride. Did a few high speed zooms for very short durations whenever possible but enjoyed relaxed 4-5k rpm riding for most part. I felt no fatigue at all, my wife did but this was the longest she has ever ridden on a bike so it was expected.

The RTR performed the way it is supposed to, relaxed and comfortable and fast and nimble depending on my wishes.

All in all a fun day Into the 1600ks now.
Old 30th August 2010, 16:06   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It was a nice day for riding yesterday so after a lazy first part of the day we decided to take the RTR and just loiter on the roads of Bangalore.
Sounds like you had a lot of fun. Best part of a sunday is spending time with the two that you love most.

My suggestion is to take a ride on the Kanakapura road towards Chunchi falls and mekedatu. Its only 100 kms one way and the scenery on the way is awesome. You'll enjoy it immensely and i'm sure the wife would too. Plan for a picnic while the weather is still good.

P.S. There is a demo ninja bike for test rides at the PBK showroom. Speak to Jankiram (manager) and refer my name if required.
Old 30th August 2010, 16:52   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Sounds like you had a lot of fun. Best part of a sunday is spending time with the two that you love most.

P.S. There is a demo ninja bike for test rides at the PBK showroom. Speak to Jankiram (manager) and refer my name if required.
+1 to that. Will surely try the ride you suggested sometime soon.
Regarding the demo, will surely call you before I plan one
Old 31st August 2010, 15:40   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All in all covered over a 100 kms within the city, thanks to very little traffic really enjoyed the ride....

The RTR performed the way it is supposed to, relaxed and comfortable and fast and nimble depending on my wishes.

All in all a fun day Into the 1600ks now.
Whoa! That's lot of in city riding. Good you did not encounter traffic. Else you would have regretted the decision to ride.

Quote:
My suggestion is to take a ride on the Kanakapura road towards Chunchi falls and mekedatu. Its only 100 kms one way and the scenery on the way is awesome. You'll enjoy it immensely and i'm sure the wife would too. Plan for a picnic while the weather is still good.
Have to plan a trip here one of the weekends! Sounds interesting.
Old 31st August 2010, 16:17   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Whoa! That's lot of in city riding. Good you did not encounter traffic. Else you would have regretted the decision to ride.
Yeah man, it was nice to roam around without much traffic. But even otherwise I avoid most main roads, just move into any alternate road that seems safe and follow the maze guessing where we will reach .Its one of our favorite activities and we do end up discovering new areas and lets us enjoy riding while avoiding traffic.

The ride destination given by Aditya sounds awesome. BTW will be home alone on the weekend of 11th and 12th of Sept so if u guys have any plans of a ride then, lemme know
Old 31st August 2010, 16:18   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
+1 to that. Will surely try the ride you suggested sometime soon.
Regarding the demo, will surely call you before I plan one
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post

Have to plan a trip here one of the weekends! Sounds interesting.
The Mekedatu ride sounds interesting. When you guys do decide do drop me a pm. Hopefully I will join as well to give my bike a good ride after a long long time.

It has not seen any more than 50-60 kms in a day.
Old 31st August 2010, 16:27   #193
BHPian

RE Classic 500 EFI

Quote:
Yeah man, it was nice to roam around without much traffic. But even otherwise I avoid most main roads, just move into any alternate road that seems safe and follow the maze guessing where we will reach .Its one of our favorite activities and we do end up discovering new areas and lets us enjoy riding while avoiding traffic.

The ride destination given by Aditya sounds awesome. BTW will be home alone on the weekend of 11th and 12th of Sept so if u guys have any plans of a ride then, lemme know
Hi Sammy boy long time,how you been doin?

I am planning for a RE Classic 500 with EFI soon,getting a test drive Bullet from the RE showroom for the 12th Sep Sunday weekend
Old 31st August 2010, 18:20   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
When you guys do decide do drop me a pm. Hopefully I will join as well to give my bike a good ride after a long long time.
I have an off on Sep 10th for Ramzan so most probably the ninja will be going for its second service which is due at 6000 kms.

Sep 11th is Ganesh chaturthi so count me out.

If Sep 12th (Sunday) is fine with both of you let me know and we can plan it out. We can do an early morning ride.

@sammy, you have my number. Let me know so we can plan the ride. I hope this materializes.... Looking forward to riding with you.
Old 31st August 2010, 18:40   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarprusty View Post
Hi Sammy boy long time,how you been doin?

I am planning for a RE Classic 500 with EFI soon,getting a test drive Bullet from the RE showroom for the 12th Sep Sunday weekend
Hey Amar, loong time really bro The Bullet is the perfect fit for you, really cant imagine you riding anything else , well the Harley maybe . Lets catch up sometime man, been a loong time.
Edit: Dude, if you have it on the weekend why not plan the ride on Sunday (12th Sept)? Will be fun.
Quote:
I have an off on Sep 10th for Ramzan so most probably the ninja will be going for its second service which is due at 6000 kms.

Sep 11th is Ganesh chaturthi so count me out.

If Sep 12th (Sunday) is fine with both of you let me know and we can plan it out. We can do an early morning ride.

@sammy, you have my number. Let me know so we can plan the ride. I hope this materializes.... Looking forward to riding with you.
Well that means that I can try to catch up at Indiranagar on Friday, if I have an off.

Sunday is fine for me, I am in. Guys please confirm. Look forward to my first long ride in years
Aditya - Will call you and plan.

Last edited by sammyboy : 31st August 2010 at 18:59.

Most Viewed