Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2010, 06:03   #391
BHPian

Congrats mantrig on your beautiful iron steed!! now lets get to see the bull raging on the highway
Old 14th September 2010, 16:46   #392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhkris View Post
Congrats mantrig on your beautiful iron steed!! now lets get to see the bull raging on the highway
Thank you Sir, Hoping to complete the running in soon and looking forward to those highway trips which have been long time due.
Old 14th September 2010, 17:52   #393
Team-BHP Support

many congratulations mantrig on the fantastic ride. she's quite a beauty. we should catch up for a ride whenever I can get hold of my own thumper (hopefully sometime soon).
Old 14th September 2010, 20:44   #394
BHPian

Congos man Lovely steed. And good day to have the bike home. My dad has been waiting to drive mine for sometime. he will finally get to ride it when he is in Mumbai over the weekend. he had a bull when he was in his 20's.

sure we need to catch up. I am there from next weekend. we can plan a early morning ride and do shootout as well
Old 14th September 2010, 21:16   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
many congratulations mantrig on the fantastic ride. she's quite a beauty. we should catch up for a ride whenever I can get hold of my own thumper (hopefully sometime soon).
Thank you, Sir. Yes we should be catching up soon, I have your number and will ping you when I plan to be in your area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Congos man Lovely steed. And good day to have the bike home. My dad has been waiting to drive mine for sometime. he will finally get to ride it when he is in Mumbai over the weekend. he had a bull when he was in his 20's.

sure we need to catch up. I am there from next weekend. we can plan a early morning ride and do shootout as well
We should catch up soon. The shootout has been pending since a longtime, lets do it next weekend or the week after that on Sunday morning.

I have some location in mind. Had been there a couple of weeks back, its a 100km ride from Mumbai.
Old 15th September 2010, 14:46   #396
BHPian

@mantrig
How is the air filter box design in your C350? Is it the revised hinge or old bad design which allows dust inside ?
Old 15th September 2010, 19:17   #397
BHPian

Hi Guys

Finally I saw my new 'friend' - at the RE showroom today. Will be delivered after PDI and RTO formalities tomorrow afternoon. Only one C3 came and thats for me

Overall the built quality looks good. No peeling paint, oil leak etc and the mudguards feels solid. The paint also feels good quality (thick). They are yet to fit the Turn Indicators and Kicker etc and Odo reads 5.5km.

One thing I found is that new Air filter box design is not adopted for C3 yet. I mean I saw two C5 which came along with this delivery and both had new hinge design which blocks dust but the C3 meant for me still had old design. Does that mean the 57 improvements adopted by RE is for C5 only? If so, thats cheating as C3 and C5 share the same cycle parts.

By the way, tomorrow, I will be riding a bike which is higher than 150cc in my life. Any suggestions anyone? What is the gear shift pattern- one up three down? Pl pray for me.

regards

San
Old 15th September 2010, 23:07   #398
Senior - BHPian

Hey San!

Congrats on getting all set for action. I see you are online, so will try and wrap this up soon so that you can read it.

Chill!!! It is just a bike. The more you scare yourself silly with all your concerns about it being a big bike in terms of size and weight, you are just bringing yourself closer to disaster. Know the bike's limitations, but don't be intimidated by it.

This is a psychological part of riding that is oft ignored by even the most experienced. Let the bike work for you, don't pull it into place... steer it there. Gauge how much force is required to move the bike to the right/left and once you calibrate yourself, it will be smooth riding.
It takes a few hours but I assure you, you will be riding like a pro soon!

The gear shifts are 1 down and 4 up. Be firm with the gear shifting, not harsh. Make sure you do not use the tip of your shoe to change gears and you should be fine.

Also, see if the forks foul with the guard. And, do not worry about the airbox. I clean it every week and its quite easy to get done.

Make sure you supervise the engine oil addition.

Correct your tyre pressure to 22F and 32R as soon as you move out. (you can find your sweet spot later)

And lastly, remember to capture the whole experience on pics if not a video. All the best mate! Wish you many happy thumping miles!

Cheers,
Achint
Old 16th September 2010, 07:02   #399
BHPian

San, dude, classic 350 rides smooth and dont worry about the gear shift much. Its 1 down and 4 up. Dont Lug the engine and all should be just fine. Congrats on your bike. Had seen your first post on C3 eons ago!! Worth the wait and get us some great snaps of your Iron Horse!! Happy Thumping
Old 16th September 2010, 07:25   #400
BHPian

Achint, Madhkris, Thanks for the inputs and raising my confidence.

The C3 forks doesnt look as though it will foul with the mudguards. That was one of the first thing i checked. But in the C5 there in showroom which came along with my bike, it sure will as the edge of sleeve was directly above the guard. Also due to 19" and 18" tyres between C3 and C5, the position of sleeve itself is different and so I feel the C5 is much more prone to sleeve damage than C3.

Couldnt sleep much and got up very early today morning to check this forum.

Achint, Can you pl elaborate what you meant "Make sure you do not use the tip of your shoe to change gears" . Due to rains here in kerala, I dont wear a shoe and if I am right, the RE doesnt come with a Heal-Toe shifter like Splendor.(Can it be fitted?) So how do you shift it UP?

regards

San
Old 16th September 2010, 07:47   #401
Senior - BHPian

Hey San,

I usually use only my toe while shifting. Have ruined 3-4 pairs of leather shoes doing this, but I am more comfortable with this.
I slip my toe under the front lever and pull upwards to shift up and push the front lever down to downshift.
I am not sure if the heel-toe shifter can be fit to a RE, however, I would advise you against trying. My motto is don't mess with an RE unless the gains really justify it.

And I would recommend that you wear shoes at all times while riding. Sandals or chappals do not make the cut.

Sometimes, when I am up-shifting gears, I just callously flick my shoe upwards. At times the foot just brushes it and the lil' bit of shoe at the end is used to shift the gear. More often than not, this causes a false neutral.

Hope you have a pleasant delivery experience! Waiting for pics.

Cheers,
Achint
Old 16th September 2010, 19:55   #402
BHPian

Got it !
Feels majestic. First time riding a Royal Enfield. Unfortunately, I ve to be out of station for few days on an emergency so will get back with details later.

Keying this from mobile.

Achint, i could e-start him but not kick start.

Regards

San
Old 20th September 2010, 16:04   #403
BHPian

350 kms clocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnair View Post
Got it !
Feels majestic. First time riding a Royal Enfield. Unfortunately, I ve to be out of station for few days on an emergency so will get back with details later.

Keying this from mobile.

Achint, i could e-start him but not kick start.

Regards

San
Hello San - Congratulations on your bull. Sorry, I have been out of pocket entire last week due to work.

In one way it was great because I was riding around on TC # all this while and am expected to receive my permanent registration # by tomorrow.

I have clocked 350kms by now and the experience so far has been great as far as the handling and response from the engine goes. The headlight is really great as compared to my previous experiences, however the issue is that the throw runs parallel to the ground.

Some Highlights:-
  • I was shocked with this one.
    When I started the bike on Saturday after a 4 day break, the silencer literally acted like a fire-mans Hose and there was atleast 2 litres of water which was thrown out while I revved the bike a bit. The bike was in cover, some water must have seeped in during the heavy rains but how did it enter the silencer (through the screws on heat pad)?

Has anyone else experienced this?
    There is no water clogging in my vicinity for the water level to even reach the rim let alone silencer.
  • Front Mud Gaurd was scuffing against the fork (right side) which I did get rectified but am left with a scar.
  • Headlight is great but the focus needs to be angled towards earth. (Any Inputs?)
  • False Nuetrals were a issue during 1st 100kms but now very neglible and not something that has troubled me.
  • Horn is too soft for the bike and might consider a change keeping in mind highway rides. (Any Inputs)
  • Keeping the bike hovering around 50kms is very difficult, especially because I ride almost 10-15ks (one way) on the highway to work.

Is it okay if I cruise @ 60kms in the 5th gear during running in?
Achint/Sanjeet - Can you please shed some light on what would be the best way to run the bike in properly. I am not revving too hard and using all gears at different speeds and not maintianing the same speed in the same gear for a a long time.

My main worry is, if can I ride at around 60 in the 5th gear as that is where she is the smoothest. She feels very uncomfortable anywhere around 50kms/ph in the 5th gear.

Or do you think I can skip using the 5th gear till I finish 1K mark? I was planning to do a 250 km ride this saturday and before that will get my 1st service done.
Need your inputs/suggestions on the same.
Old 20th September 2010, 17:31   #404
Senior - BHPian

IF you have done 500km then you can easily take her to 80-90 but never keep at one pace. Just go by the book and you will not go wrong. Keep her between 80-90 upto 2k and thats all for your running in. Just dont pamper her too much or too scared of taking her to 80-90(thats what manual recommends and I can vouch for their running in schedule)

What initial running in was needed has been done in about 500km and now only thing which is left is heat treatment of barrel and piston/rings. Dont lug your engine or rev high in any gear and start riding her at 60. Avoid any traffic light stops of more then a minute or switch off your engine if you have to wait fro more then 30seconds.

I am hoping that you got the first service done. Do not ride a single km after that without oil change and I prefer changing oil at 250km or as earliest as possible before 500km(first service).

If you are planning a 250km ride then you have a fantastic opportunity to run in just right. Dont keep her under 55 or even try to skip 5th gear and also do not keep her in any gear under 5 for a long time. Wary your speed between 60-90 and enjoy your ride.
Old 20th September 2010, 17:40   #405
BHPian

My Bullu Darling.

Hey Mantrig,

Nice to hear you've completed 350km. So far I am far behind you at only 35km clocked. I've been busy with something else and as of now I can ride him properly only after October 1st. By the way Ive named him "Bullu"

The feeling is great. Only hitch being the "false neutrals" encountered- Having ridden a HH Splendor for 10 years with its Butter smooth and solid Gear shift, False neutrals are something new to me. But more than the false neutral, Its how to get out of the false neutral thats troubling me. I mean when I encounter one, I panic, kick the gear lever here and there making heavy crackling noise breaking my heart. I hope I will master the art of Gear shifting on an RE soon.

Gurus, I have the same doubts regarding running in as Mantrig asked- but in my case, its one more gear down- Can I skip 4th and 5th gear during Running in? Due to my inexperience and the traffic in my city plus the road conditions, I cant take him beyond 3rd gear. Anything above 3rd causes lugging. Its very difficult to keep within the speed limits specified in the Owners manual.

But just a twist of Accelerator and He flies.... (Yes its a "He" - What with one wife, two daughters and a mom in law living with me - not mentioning one or two ex girlfriends, I dont want any more female species in my life ) Its hard to keep him below 40-50 range.

So far sleeve scuffing is not there but too early to tell. Horn is pathetic as mentioned by Mantrig. Am planning to go for a 30+30km ride tomorrow. Will get to know him more after that.

regards

San

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks