Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2010, 07:17   #331
Senior - BHPian

I seriously wish I could! I want everyone to hear it.

Alas! I don't have a camera. :(

Will try and get something done soon.
Old 7th July 2010, 13:10   #332
BHPian

EssYouWe here is a seat you may go for. This is a custom seat for the new Harley 48 Sportster 1200 model. Khajanchi should be able to help you. Notice the very different and vintage spring system on this one.http://http://www.harley-davidson.co...0x/accessories
Old 7th July 2010, 15:51   #333
BHPian

seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
I usually used to have it with a warmed up engine at idling. If you are feeling the same while accelerating, I would firstly recommend that you reduce your acceleration. Sudden spurts in speed aren't good for the engine during the run-in.

Keep varying the speeds gradually.

Well, it has reduced a bit in my Bull.

Just run-in it in nice and smooth and most of your problems will be solved.

Cheers!
EssYouVee - try visiting the below store in delhi if you have not got a solution to the back pain because of CL split seats. There are many options to choose from and from a local dealer..they also have a rear disk kit and hid kit for bulls...pay a visit..Royal Enfield Zone - Distributors and Exporters of Royal Enfield Bikes, Spare Parts and Accessories from New Delhi, India :: :: :: :: Extensive range of spares and accessories for Royal Enfield Bullet, Electra, Machismo, Thunderbird, Standard

Regards,
Rahul.
Old 8th July 2010, 07:47   #334
Senior - BHPian

I have noticed a fall in the mid-range torque after the free-flowing short bottle. Even the top-end seems to have been shaved off.

I was barely able to cross 100 even with a fully pulled throttle. This might be attributed in part to the wind drag (very windy in Delhi the last two days).

Now the mid-range might be simply because I am always stingy with the throttle (it ruins the sound :P).

I know I am shooting arrows in the dark here, but some explanations would really help.

@bradhey

While the seat looks great, it offers little lower back support. With a 100 km of riding daily, I desperately need more back support.

@Rahul

He is the guy I am getting the work done from. The problem being faced is primarily that they are not used to manufacturing plates according to the Classic's requirement.
Old 8th July 2010, 12:13   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectraTspark View Post
Hello,

Fellow TEAMBHPians and classic 350 owners and yet to be owners. I have just joined TEAMBHP even though I have been using the website for various issues, needs etc. I have been going through this particular topic ever since the thread was started. This thread was one of the deciding factors to buy the all new Electra Twin spark. Yes I'am a proud owner of the new Electra Twinspark. Well one might ask me why Electra. The reason is the unusual waiting periods. On the contrary I'am getting the same engine, better seating and better rear tyre (I prefer the regular tyre compared to the Zappers which are not the best ones when it comes to wet surfaces).

In short, I got my Electra delivered in the third week of March. It had done 20 Kms short of 800 Kms and the first service is completed. The engine has smoothened after the first service. However I have been experiencing with my own set of unique problems.

I'am writing on this thread asking help from all the fellow classic 350 owners to solve my problems.

Problem 1: The very first day of owning the bullet, my rear tyre was punctured. To my disbelief when I got the tube checked, it was not one or two punctures but atleast dozen. Guess what the culprit was? We found a tube nozzle cap inside the tyre. The dealer (HSR services, mission road, Bangalore) was not of much help except for directing me to the MRF dealers. I felt investing in a new tube was much cheaper than approaching the MRF dealer and forgot about the issue.

Problem 2: Oil started to leak from the kicker oil seal. And it started from day 2. When approached the Head mechanic was quick to say its from the chain (even though, one could easily say it was from kicker oil seal). It was not rectified even in the first service. Finally I took to Mehaboob garage on Nandi durga road. The reply I got there was, run it until the next service and we'll replace it free of cost for you. My question is, why should i be driving a leaky bullet when I have paid a staggering 1 lakh rupees? This issue remain unsolved. I'am planning to write to RE customer care after one last try at HSR again.

Problem 3. When I saw the wiring diagram of the vehicle, the head light output is mentioned as 60/55w. The service engineer at HSR also confirmed the engine is exactly same as the one on classic 350. I even went ahead to the extent of comparing the wiring diagrams of both which looked similar. The problem I'am facing is, the stock bulb is 35/35w regular bulb and the brightness is not sufficient to drive on the Bangalore ring road. When i installed a 60/55w halogen lamp, the battery discharged in 2 days.

I would like to know if any CL350 owners are experiencing battery discharge.

Any suggestions and tips are welcome.
Hi ElectraTSpark,

I have booked an Electra UCE and scheduled to be delivered in Oct. From your owner ship review above and from all the CL350 owners here, It seems there are certain problems which are pronounced on some bikes than the others. Just want to know what issues you faced, cause asking this to a CL350 owner would not fetch the correct answers. Since you have the same machine which I have booked, I would like to know some things from you.

1. Are there leakages on the E-UCE fuel tank cock and fuel lid like some fellow bhpians have posted here or are they on CL350 only because of some change in design?
2. Some CL350 owners have mentioned about slow pickup on their bikes. I don't think this has got something to do with the 350 engine, but probably a carb setting which is dragging the bike..can you put your experience of E-UCE here.?
3. CL350 gets a 60/55W bulb whereas E-UCE gets a 35/35W bulb. When the engines are same, electrcials are same, battery is of same power, the power generated by magnet is same as that on the TBTS which is close to 220W or some thing, then why this 'Sautela' behaviour of RE towards the E-UCE owners ? Can the holder and reflector, if required be changed to make way for a 60/55W bulb.?
4. Does the battery get discharged on the stock setup of headlamp cause technical specifications say the electricals are all D/C on the electra, which means all lights, starter and horn take current from the 14A battery. Dealers say the headlight on Electra is A/C and not D/C. Is it the same?
5. Have you seen anyone changing to Xenon on Electra since kits are available for it. If yes, where was the ballast fitted ?

Awaiting your response..
Regards,
Rahul.

Last edited by rahulya007 : 8th July 2010 at 12:15.
Old 8th July 2010, 12:50   #336
BHPian

Quote:
I have noticed a fall in the mid-range torque after the free-flowing short bottle. Even the top-end seems to have been shaved off.

I was barely able to cross 100 even with a fully pulled throttle. This might be attributed in part to the wind drag (very windy in Delhi the last two days).

Now the mid-range might be simply because I am always stingy with the throttle (it ruins the sound :P).

I know I am shooting arrows in the dark here, but some explanations would really help.
hi EssYouWe, from my little experience I think the problem could be due to lean air fuel mixture. You must have your carb retuned to compensate for the free flowing exhaust. You may start by checking your spark plug, if I am correct it should be white, else the problem could be due to some other reason. Thanks for keeping us updated.
Old 9th July 2010, 22:20   #337

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
Hi ElectraTSpark,

I have booked an Electra UCE and scheduled to be delivered in Oct. From your owner ship review above and from all the CL350 owners here, It seems there are certain problems which are pronounced on some bikes than the others. Just want to know what issues you faced, cause asking this to a CL350 owner would not fetch the correct answers. Since you have the same machine which I have booked, I would like to know some things from you.

1. Are there leakages on the E-UCE fuel tank cock and fuel lid like some fellow bhpians have posted here or are they on CL350 only because of some change in design?
2. Some CL350 owners have mentioned about slow pickup on their bikes. I don't think this has got something to do with the 350 engine, but probably a carb setting which is dragging the bike..can you put your experience of E-UCE here.?
3. CL350 gets a 60/55W bulb whereas E-UCE gets a 35/35W bulb. When the engines are same, electrcials are same, battery is of same power, the power generated by magnet is same as that on the TBTS which is close to 220W or some thing, then why this 'Sautela' behaviour of RE towards the E-UCE owners ? Can the holder and reflector, if required be changed to make way for a 60/55W bulb.?
4. Does the battery get discharged on the stock setup of headlamp cause technical specifications say the electricals are all D/C on the electra, which means all lights, starter and horn take current from the 14A battery. Dealers say the headlight on Electra is A/C and not D/C. Is it the same?
5. Have you seen anyone changing to Xenon on Electra since kits are available for it. If yes, where was the ballast fitted ?

Awaiting your response..
Regards,
Rahul.

Hi Rahul,

Its been a long time I wrote about my ownership on this portal. I was thinking for a long time about writing a ownership review. Before answering your questions here is an overview:

Odo: 4600+ Kms
Service: 2 done, 3rd awaiting at 6000
Oil Change: once during 1st service (i.e 500 Kms).

To talk about the experience with the vehicle, its just out of the world.

Regarding answers to your questions here are they:

The oil leak on the Kicker seal is due to the excess oil from chain getting sprayed and then trickling down (which visually looks like a leak). I have switched to Motul Chain spray ans lube and the problem has vanished ever since.(the only way of being certain that the oil is not indeed leaking)

If you comapre with the Rx and the Pulsars the you might feel the initial is low. But its not too bad(I had a RX 135 earlier)

* I had encountered the same problem. SO I went to the extent of matching the wiring diagram of both CL 350 and Electra. Also checking with Head mechanic at HSR services, Bangalore. There is absolutely no change in the design. In fact the head light connector has two extra wires for pilot light.( absent in Electra).
*The first thing I changed was to replace the 35/35w bulb with 60/55w Halogen with out any modification to the holder. The next modification was to go for Auto Pal dome (H4 p43t holder) with Standard's ring\rim. Now the brightness is second to none.

Its has all DC electricals. Like I said earlier there is not difference between CL 350 and Electra's engine.

. No I have not. I also wont suggest as the space inside the casquette is very less. More over for city driving 60/55w is sufficient. If you still want more than that 100/80w or 100/90w with Headlight cutout\relay can be installed.

To sum it up this vehicle has been so easy on pocket that I have spent about Rs 575 on 1st service, Rs 55 on second service and an average Mileage of 42-44 per litre. The vehicle hass been very good except for a few minor problems. The latest one I'a,m experiencing is the push start wont work in cold climate, but with a single kick its working. I do not doubt the battery at this point as the head light and the extra horns which I have wired are working perfectly fine. Also a multimeter read out of the voltage shows 12.5 v when the vehicle is not started.

A few other modifications i have done:
1. Replaced back rest with that if Thunderbird type.
2. Replaced all LEDs on the speed and Ammeter to LEDs (to conserve power)
3. Replaced the tail lamp with LEDs. (will soon post a detailed how-to- guide)

* Let me know if you want more details. I'll be more than happy to hep you.
Old 9th July 2010, 23:20   #338
BHPian

Guys, I got my CL350 yesterday (around 4 months of waiting) and was looking around for some tips to help keep the rust at bay during the monsoon. I was thinking of teflon coating (the painted areas) and touching up with some automobile clear coat on the nuts, bolts and other prone areas. Would this be the way to go?

Thanks
Fel
Old 10th July 2010, 12:22   #339
BHPian

Quote:

@bradhey

While the seat looks great, it offers little lower back support. With a 100 km of riding daily, I desperately need more back support.

@Rahul

He is the guy I am getting the work done from. The problem being faced is primarily that they are not used to manufacturing plates according to the Classic's requirement.
I have had a similar experience on my C500 and looking for help
Old 10th July 2010, 13:39   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Rahul,

Its been a long time I wrote about my ownership on this portal. I was thinking for a long time about writing a ownership review. Before answering your questions here is an overview:

Odo: 4600+ Kms
Service: 2 done, 3rd awaiting at 6000
Oil Change: once during 1st service (i.e 500 Kms).

To talk about the experience with the vehicle, its just out of the world.

Regarding answers to your questions here are they:

The oil leak on the Kicker seal is due to the excess oil from chain getting sprayed and then trickling down (which visually looks like a leak). I have switched to Motul Chain spray ans lube and the problem has vanished ever since.(the only way of being certain that the oil is not indeed leaking)
Were u required to clean the chain before moving to Motul chain lube. I was actually inquiring about leakage from the petrol tank cap. The info you provided is for the engine kicker seal which is nonetheless helpful. if possible, mention about the petrol tank cap leakage and water entering inside or petrol spilling out.

Quote:

If you compare with the Rx and the Pulsars the you might feel the initial is low. But its not too bad(I had a RX 135 earlier)
I would never compare an RX-100 with bullet because both are from different world. no comparison whatsoever. I wanted to know whether this is true that pickup is less as someone had posted here about CL350. I think it must be better than the CI bull. Your Views pls.

Quote:

* I had encountered the same problem. SO I went to the extent of matching the wiring diagram of both CL 350 and Electra. Also checking with Head mechanic at HSR services, Bangalore. There is absolutely no change in the design. In fact the head light connector has two extra wires for pilot light.( absent in Electra).
*The first thing I changed was to replace the 35/35w bulb with 60/55w Halogen with out any modification to the holder. The next modification was to go for Auto Pal dome (H4 p43t holder) with Standard's ring\rim. Now the brightness is second to none.
Did you also change the holder to ceramic? what is Auto pal dome ? P43t is the part code for a H4 base bulb/ socket. does that mean you changed the socket to H4. Can you pls. put some more light on this point. also can you post some pics of the headlight if not other modifications. Does the 60/55W bulb drain the battery if the head light is used for longer duration?

I did some headlight and horn alterations on my 7 yr old Honda Eterno (All A/C circuit with A/C horn), but could not get the electrical current sufficiently high from the magnet to charge the battery (9Amp) with more current for the headlight. Battery drains in approx 30 mins only. I was actually looking at doing some modifications with the coil with help from a few bhpians here, but finally gave up the thought when i booked Electra. Hence I am too keen on this point and would like you to post a few pics or explain your customization as I want to first change the headlight to 60/55W or a Xenon.

Quote:

Its has all DC electricals. Like I said earlier there is not difference between CL 350 and Electra's engine.
60/55W light should be sufficient in city and even on highways too.

Quote:

. No I have not. I also wont suggest as the space inside the casquette is very less. More over for city driving 60/55w is sufficient. If you still want more than that 100/80w or 100/90w with Headlight cutout\relay can be installed.
I was thinking converting to Xenon for white but now I think, if Electra's battery does not drain with 60/55W bulb, I can even think of installing a Philips 4300K 60/55W white halogen on the Electra and save the cost of the Xenon kit + modifications. whats your take..

Quote:
To sum it up this vehicle has been so easy on pocket that I have spent about Rs 575 on 1st service, Rs 55 on second service and an average Mileage of 42-44 per litre. The vehicle hass been very good except for a few minor problems. The latest one I'a,m experiencing is the push start wont work in cold climate, but with a single kick its working. I do not doubt the battery at this point as the head light and the extra horns which I have wired are working perfectly fine. Also a multimeter read out of the voltage shows 12.5 v when the vehicle is not started.

A few other modifications i have done:
1. Replaced back rest with that if Thunderbird type.
2. Replaced all LEDs on the speed and Ammeter to LEDs (to conserve power)
3. Replaced the tail lamp with LEDs. (will soon post a detailed how-to- guide)

* Let me know if you want more details. I'll be more than happy to hep you.
Thats pretty cheap service charges and decent mileage for machine weighting 183 Kgs. When you say thunderbird back rest, do you mean the similar seat which can be put on the electra but not exactly Thunderbird's.?

How did you replace the Ammeter lights to LED's and how is the illumination. provide specifications and if possible some pics of the LED's you have used and the illumination..Also the DIY of the tail light..

Awaiting your response..

Regards,
Rahul

Last edited by rahulya007 : 10th July 2010 at 13:42.
Old 10th July 2010, 14:15   #341
Senior - BHPian

I believe the LED lights will help a lot on conserving power but no idea where to get them.
Old 10th July 2010, 15:08   #342

Were u required to clean the chain before moving to Motul chain lube. I was actually inquiring about leakage from the petrol tank cap. The info you provided is for the engine kicker seal which is nonetheless helpful. if possible, mention about the petrol tank cap leakage and water entering inside or petrol spilling out.

Answers in Bold

Yes and you have two options. 1. Kerosene or diesel. 2. Motul chain clean (Costs Rs 450 per can).

Regarding Petrol tank cap, yes there was a slight leak, but during second service I asked them to tighten the screws and there has been no problem ever since. Even the petrol tap was leaking and again tightening it by half a thread has worked.

I would never compare an RX-100 with bullet because both are from different world. no comparison whatsoever. I wanted to know whether this is true that pickup is less as someone had posted here about CL350. I think it must be better than the CI bull. Your Views pls.

*Personally I do not experience it. The other fact which attributes to low end torque on CL350 is the 18" wheels per post of fellow BHPians.

Did you also change the holder to ceramic? what is Auto pal dome ? P43t is the part code for a H4 base bulb/ socket. does that mean you changed the socket to H4. Can you pls. put some more light on this point. also can you post some pics of the headlight if not other modifications. Does the 60/55W bulb drain the battery if the head light is used for longer duration?

Yes the stock holder is of old type (I guess BA15D). I had to switch to H4. in H4 there are two types. 1. p45t (usually used in two wheelers) 2. p43t (ues in 4 wheelers and can get a wide variety of after market replacements including imported ones as this is the standard fitment in most of the cars). Yes I bought a ceramic holder, but there is no room for it. I had to break the holder and connect the pins directly (Its the same with CL350, no holder but only pins/ U clips). The other option is to go for Bakelite holder.

Autopal dome: Autolite (INDIA) Ltd.

You also get similar one from Hello but I dint like it. Basically we are looking for 7" dome.

I did some headlight and horn alterations on my 7 yr old Honda Eterno (All A/C circuit with A/C horn), but could not get the electrical current sufficiently high from the magnet to charge the battery (9Amp) with more current for the headlight. Battery drains in approx 30 mins only. I was actually looking at doing some modifications with the coil with help from a few bhpians here, but finally gave up the thought when i booked Electra. Hence I am too keen on this point and would like you to post a few pics or explain your customization as I want to first change the headlight to 60/55W or a Xenon.

Electra and CL350 have the same battery, i.e 12v 14 AH ( in lay man terms I can run a load of 12vx14A continuously 1 hour.This is also the highest in any two wheelers. No the battery does not drain. I have upgraded the head lights after various considerations and load calculations.(Also since I have moved to LEDs the load on tail Lamps and meter console has considerably reduced.The brake light itself would consume 21w which is now reduced to less than 4w with LEDs)

60/55W light should be sufficient in city and even on highways too.

I was thinking converting to Xenon for white but now I think, if Electra's battery does not drain with 60/55W bulb, I can even think of installing a Philips 4300K 60/55W white halogen on the Electra and save the cost of the Xenon kit + modifications. whats your take..

I personally feel white light is not good for driving and the warm white or the regular halogens are good enough. I'am using Philips which I took out from my car. You can even think of OSRAM night breaker. I will be moving to Yellow tint Halogen shortly.(Already on my car and its awesome)

Link:H4 Rally All Weather 100/80W (Pair) Special Offer

you get a pair free when you order one pair. Shipping is free.

Thats pretty cheap service charges and decent mileage for machine weighting 183 Kgs. When you say thunderbird back rest, do you mean the similar seat which can be put on the electra but not exactly Thunderbird's.?

This is what I have :Royal Enfield Zone

How did you replace the Ammeter lights to LED's and how is the illumination. provide specifications and if possible some pics of the LED's you have used and the illumination..Also the DIY of the tail light..
RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-image004.jpg

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-image005.jpg

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-image021.jpg

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-image022.jpg

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-image023.jpg

Name:  Image024.jpg
Views: 6683
Size:  15.4 KB

Will post pics of Head lamp mods and Tail light pics in night soon. All LEDs are custom made by me and are not available in the market.
Old 10th July 2010, 16:00   #343

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
I believe the LED lights will help a lot on conserving power but no idea where to get them.

I can help you and any TEAM BHPian in making or helping you to make a custom made LED for almost any light on two or four wheelers (Except the head lights).
Old 10th July 2010, 16:09   #344

A couple of pics of the Head light after changing to Autopal Dome

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-image0093.jpg

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-image0094.jpg

The Pilot Lights are LEDs again.

You can also see the seat back rest in the second pic.
Old 10th July 2010, 22:58   #345
BHPian

Quote:

Yes the stock holder is of old type (I guess BA15D). I had to switch to H4. in H4 there are two types. 1. p45t (usually used in two wheelers) 2. p43t (ues in 4 wheelers and can get a wide variety of after market replacements including imported ones as this is the standard fitment in most of the cars). Yes I bought a ceramic holder, but there is no room for it. I had to break the holder and connect the pins directly (Its the same with CL350, no holder but only pins/ U clips). The other option is to go for Bakelite holder.

Autopal dome: Autolite (INDIA) Ltd.

You also get similar one from Hello but I dint like it. Basically we are looking for 7" dome.

Electra and CL350 have the same battery, i.e 12v 14 AH ( in lay man terms I can run a load of 12vx14A continuously 1 hour.This is also the highest in any two wheelers. No the battery does not drain. I have upgraded the head lights after various considerations and load calculations.(Also since I have moved to LEDs the load on tail Lamps and meter console has considerably reduced.The brake light itself would consume 21w which is now reduced to less than 4w with LEDs)

I personally feel white light is not good for driving and the warm white or the regular halogens are good enough. I'am using Philips which I took out from my car. You can even think of OSRAM night breaker. I will be moving to Yellow tint Halogen shortly.(Already on my car and its awesome)

Link:H4 Rally All Weather 100/80W (Pair) Special Offer

you get a pair free when you order one pair. Shipping is free.
Thanks ElectraTSpark for your quick replies..

Do you get the Autopal reflectors easily in spares shop cause I have seen most of them storing Hella products. There are 2 reflectors on the site you have provided. Which one is better or fits better.

You have already mentioned that you can help any tbhpian with LED's. Can you pls. elaborate the process or how it can made as DIY. what is the resistor used if any. What type of LED is used. how did you fix so many LED's for the tail light. are ready made tail lights with LED's available in India ?

About the Halogen, you have mentioned that you are getting the yellow tint halogen shortly. what is the color of the light spread. Is it as yellowish as the stock bulbs or more or less..If you are buying a pair from the site you have provided, and if you do not need the second pair, I can buy it from you for my car and use the Philips Extreme power I currently have in my car for Electra. Only want to know the beam color before that. Do they ship Internationally free as well ?

Do you also get bakelite holders easily and how can they fit inside the dome if ceramics cannot fit in. are they smaller in size as compared to Ceramic ones?

I hope we are only required to change the reflector and not the glass or the ring outside on the headlamp. pls. confirm. I am also going to fit the eye lid on the headlight. Will that require any change in the outside ring?

Pls. post the pics of the DIY for LED's if you have any..

Regards,
Rahul.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks