Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2011, 13:38   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review

Excellent review & rated a well-deserved 5 stars. Must say that I'm disappointed that Ford has made a compromise on the "pep" in order to boost the FE but I guess that's what the market wants.

It sounds like the Diesel is not in the Vento's league either so I guess (regretfully) the NFS is off my list at the moment, even though the equipment list is impressive enough.

Quick question Rehaan - would you remotely contemplate buying the Diesel in place of your existing 1.6 if/when the time came for you to replace it?
Old 22nd June 2011, 13:43   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPK View Post
Sir ji, tusi great ho!!!!!

Also nice to see 9/10 rating for audio system. A big to that. It seems like better than Figo's audio system. Personally I found Figo's sound system much better than any sub 10 lack cars. So with this audio system, I definitely won't need to upgrade. (Am I assuming I already bought this vehicle? )
Even the Audio system in current Fiesta is very good! So no surprise that the tradition continues in the new version!
Old 22nd June 2011, 15:00   #138
BHPian

Re: Audio System & Voice Controls

Great review Rehaan. Absolutely fantastic with great detail.

I hope you have driven the new verna. How did you find the interior quality when compared to the new Verna interms of plastics, fabric and noice levels(engine). Does it have a reverse camera built in?
Old 22nd June 2011, 15:14   #139
BHPian

Nice review Rehaan. But the interiors of the car don't seem to be at par with the Verna or the Vento. It doesn't offer that rich luxury feel. I agree it may be sporty but yet,the wow factor i missing. If priced right it will kill the competition in its segment.
Old 22nd June 2011, 15:20   #140
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
What is that chequered thing between the spare tyre space and the silencer? Aluminium? The last bit of pipe on the silencer seems to be in the air only
Thats heat insulation over the exhaust. Interesting point about the unsupported pipe (wonder how much it vibrates) - though the wide angle on that photo also makes it look a little longer than it is.

Quote:
Don't know if it's me only but 2 trip meters are a necessity
Hence mentioned that theres only one - for people like you

Quote:
Does the display continue to show date and time even when it is totally off? I guess it must be at key on / engine off position.
I think you're correct.

Quote:
Is the door locking /unlocking speed sensitive
I think it was - but i cannot 100% confirm - perhaps someone else can.

Quote:
Can you please explain how the wiper controls work? is that a step less adjustment of delay/speed?
Its just like a typical adjustment, just in a different format.

Quote:
What are the two slots/grills below the ac controls?
Not sure.

Quote:
Can the directions be switched on in whatever combination required?
Yes they can be toggled individually.

Quote:
What is the material of the insulation under the hood? Is it likely to retain water?
Its some sort of fiber mat. Quite common. Its very unlikely to get wet, but if it does, it might retain water, only to get dried out very fast with the heat of the engine bay!

Quote:
What is this mysterious little flap? It could have just been bigger till the bottom of the arch to prevent mud spattering.
Mud splatter is actually an issue here (as with a lot of new cars). In just 15 kms of fairly dry driving, there was noticeable splatter on the rear bumper. I think a lot of manufacturers feel that the styling of their cars is not conducive to mud-flaps, and hence avoid them!

Quote:
how to rotate the wheels at intervals if the spare is a non alloy? Each time unmount & rebalance?
No.
There is no need to rebalance if you're just switching from one side to another. Though timely re-balancing is suggested as normal.

Unmounting a tyre from a rim to switch sides is only required for directional tyres - which these are not.

Follow a 4-tyre rotation pattern.

Quote:
More importantly hope ford will provide an option to get a single alloy for the same. BTW any idea of the alloy PCD/J/offset specifications?
I'm sure they will sell individual alloys - though don't expect "market" pricing. No idea w.r.t the rest.

Quote:
Could the left one [mirror] be adjusted to show the rear left wheel? Do the vanity mirror covers hold up while driving on rough roads?
Yes & yes.

Quote:
"Surprise! A storage drawer under the passenger's seat" = WOW!
You'll love the new WagonR, the drawer turns into a removable shopping basket.

Quote:
Does the rear fog lamp go off during forward gears?
No. Its meant to stay on all the time. Idea is to increase your visibility to the cars following you.

Quote:
Is the throw of the single reversing light suffecient?
I did not get to drive the car at night.

Quote:
Do you have a snap of what the view is from the rear view mirror?
Nope, sorry - though i've updated my original post to be clearer.

Quote:
Can the passenger airbag switched off and is it occupant sensing? A deployment will mean the whole dash will need to be replaced. Not just a dash panel.
Yes, as with all other cars, there is a switch to turn it off (probably on the LHS of the dash - visible only when the passenger door is open.)

More replies soon...

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2011, 15:25   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achilles101 View Post
...as Indians do think of mileage when they buy a car.
Very true, this is now one of the most important factors, at least upto this segment. Adding to Sharukh Khan's commercial, there are 2 most used questions for an Indian:

1. Score kya hua?
2. Kitna deti hai?

Quote:
Originally Posted by achilles101 View Post
But my gut feel is the pricing will start at 6.95 Lakhs.
This will have to be coupled with cutting the Classic's price, else they will find it tough to move existing inventory.
Old 22nd June 2011, 15:35   #142
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
@Rehaan is ford launching the hatchback version with this or is it slotted for q4?
Ford did not give us any hints on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Very much like Mitsubishi design. Isn't it? Same shape on Outlander and EVO too.
Wonder what you have been spending your days looking at on that 30" screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni View Post
a) I remember reading or hearing something about the lower maintenance costs. Is it partly die to the child replacements parts alone or there is a genuine cost advantage to the parts due to the localization. Did you get to hear anything concrete on this front.
Naturally every auto company says "great overall pricing, low cost parts, low cost of maintenance, etc".

High localization and child parts ofcourse play a large part in keeping the costs down, but its impossible to tell exactly what the end result will be until its actually experienced! Will wait for the first few ownership reports of the new Fiesta to point that out accurately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni View Post
Could you please elaborate whether it makes real perceptible difference in performance for the petrol engine for people driving in high altitude. The air gets thinner as the altitude picks up I do know.
Yes ofcourse it does. Infact, another factor is intake air temperature. Have you ever felt your car feel more peppy all of a sudden when the weather changes?

Bangalore being at ~998 meters and causing a ~10hp loss is a significant change - especially for most of the testers who were from mumbai, delhi, chennai and other sea-level places.

10hp is ~10% of the overall power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I saw a silver fiesta and a blue fiesta flanked by some figos and classic fiesta on June 6th evening around 5.30 on mysore road
I drove the car a few days later -- but you definitely saw the same group of 6 test cars (3 petrol, 3 deisel).

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2011, 15:49   #143
BHPian

Great review Rehaan!

Totally disappointed by the new Fiesta's diesel engine, especially considering Fiesta's historic positioning as the driver's car. Ford is trying to please everybody but they'd end up pleasing none. But at least I can now go ahead and book Vento without any reservations
Old 22nd June 2011, 15:57   #144
Team-BHP Support

Re: Read Tail Lamp - Photoshopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
In terms of high speed stability & handling, where will be FiestaD placed when compared between LienaD & VentoD not taking into the account of engine specs
They are all solidly build cars that are well composed at speed. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them from this POV.

From a fun-to-drive perspective, i've answered this earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
But don't you thing the font style on the a/c display and the center screen look just hideous?
I wouldn't call it hideous. Also, its placed so low down that you don't see it much. Its very functional and clear.

The red backlight bothered me a little at the start, but you get used to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
One question I have is, how does the 1.5L petrol compare to the 1.4L petrol engine from the old Fiesta EXI?
Sorry i haven't driven this 1.4L petrol....

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
If I am to use the car in city, more so with a petrol version, the "classic" is a better option because of:
It depends on what your preferences are. If you only want more torque and more cushioned ride - you're right.
If you want FE and creature comforts, probably not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlakhanpal View Post
...what pulls them towards the NFF (away from NHV, Vento)?
More features up front, more safety add-ons (than vento), diesel engine (vs ANHC), etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlakhanpal View Post
What do you see happening -
1. New model getting over-shadowed by the outgoing one in a price conscious market, resulting in the Classic being pulled off the market.
2. Classic prices slashed further to make some gap with the NFF
3. Nothing happens - NHV and Vento rule and we see NFF ver. 1.1 within this year, with the current lot carrying "Special Edition" badges?
Well it seems that you are assuming that the NFF is not going to do well as-is (judging by the options you've provided).

As a comment on your options, i'd say #2 is a possibility - where Ford will phase out the higher end Classic variants. (Similar to what happened to the ikon when the fiesta first came in).

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Dont remember reading anywhere about TC in the New Fiesta globally!
Mustang.101 has answered this. Though just to be clear - its NOT available on the indian fiesta though the light is present (since its a universally used cluster).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshsundaram View Post
Pushed the rear-light assembly down, added a round-stop-lamp for sportiness and a black-scoop in the rear-bumper to reduce the bulkiness/tall-ness.
I like the black scoop!
However, the eye-sore is still the blank weight below the rear taillamp, closer to the side of the car (more towards the rear tyre).

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2011, 16:02   #145
Senior - BHPian

ABS and airbags are standard, that is great move by Ford But any idea on the lower variant and what features its likely to miss out on?
Old 22nd June 2011, 16:13   #146
Senior - BHPian

Fiesta when introduced had major plus points the engine performance and the handling and had instant fan following with a car enthusiast. With the downgraded engine (dont care if its a global design) as per Rehaan review if the petrol Fiesta is not peppier in performance and has been customized to deliver more FE then I think Ford have a loser on hand. If FE was the concern then there was already Diesel variants but for the performance one would opt for Petrol ones.

I feel the Classic would now have a better re sale than the NFS. JUst my opinion.
Old 22nd June 2011, 16:42   #147
BHPian

What a wonderful review Rehaan.

Looks good in blue. I don't like the rear at all. From the side profile, all the bulk at the back makes the rear tires look puny and out of place.

Like many have already mentioned. A great thing that they have Airbags and ABS as standard. (Hope they did not do it just to avoid the Overlap with the Classic and the low end NFS)

Engines, The less said about, the better. Hope they undercut the price of the ANHV. Also hope they introduce the Fiesta Hatch soon , I am so looking forward to that
Old 22nd June 2011, 16:46   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
ABS and airbags are standard, that is great move by Ford But any idea on the lower variant and what features its likely to miss out on?
Asked the same question yesterday to Rehaan , and here was his reply :

Quote:
Sorry - no info on this at all.

However, some reports on the forum yesterday indicated that there will be four variants per engine. My guess is that the 4th / lowest variant probably wont have the things you've mentioned. However, the fact that there are 4 variants also means that there will be a good gradation of features to choose from.
I am very interested in the base variant of the diesel , especially since ABS+airbags are standard. I am guessing it will leave out the BT stereo , leaving the dash looking very weird , the chrome bits and some other features that I wont miss. Would be good to see if this can replace my ageing 7 year old Tata Indigo.
sajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2011, 18:15   #149
BHPian

Great review with lot more technical details. Thanks for explaining the things like the different stages in the EPS and about the steering ratio.

The blue looks really stunning.
Old 22nd June 2011, 19:44   #150
BHPian

Rehann, two more questions for you.

1. How good is the driver seat height adjust? Is there a significant elevation in the road view angle?
2. Were you able to see the bonnet from the driver's seat? Do short driver's need to lean forward to see the bonnet?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks