Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2011, 10:03   #166
BHPian

Re: Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review

There has been a lot of talk about the ABS + Airbags being standard. To add to this, Honda has had this across their range for quite some time now. And now the ANHC with its price cut costs just a shade under 7.5 L for the base variant.

Given this, and a not so high badge value for Ford + the lower powered engine, I would have to say the price for the base variant cannot exceed 7 L. Sheer novelty might draw some crowds to the showroom, but in the final assesment, the ANHC would rule (for the petrol).

Hope Ford gets the pricing right or atleast compensates by offering more equipment on the base in case they plan to price it above the 7 L mark.
Old 23rd June 2011, 10:51   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Adi, not really correcting you, but this is what Rehaan mentioned when I posted a question on the most FTD (Fun-to-Drive) petrol amongst the new Fiesta, City, Vento and Linea (I forgot to include Verna in my query).

The above response was pretty aligned to what I thought as well. This covers the engine, ride and handling departments.

On space and features, I am in agreement with you (based on the various reviews). Especially the top end Verna is much more loaded than some of the competition in a segment above.

On interior quality, I am not sure of the rating.
For me interior quality cannot be judged from showroom fresh cars, but on how they will hold up after 1-2 years usage. I guess you are spot on with the top rated and bottom rated names there, but between City, Verna and Fiesta, it is debatable. I have not seen the new Verna or the Fiesta, but from a manufacturer comparison, I feel Honda is better than a Hyundai in this aspect. And as far as Ford is concerned, the interiors or plastics may not be very exciting, but traditionally, they hold up very well – maybe because of its perceived blue-collar image worldwide.
Thanks man for the comments. It is my assessment and I have tried to be objective.
Rehaan's assessment is similar to mine I guess
Fun-to-drive is something very subjective. Someone gives more importance to steering feedback, others on outright acceleration, some on in-gear acceleration and so on.
I am willing to refine the ordering if someone can convince me otherwise.
I have driven other cars except the Fiesta. So, it is based on first hand experience.
I know that Honda quality is supposed to be good and better than Hyundai. But the ANHC is the one car in the Honda stable with really bad interiors IMO. The Jazz and Civic has very good interiors. So, I actually do think that the Vento and Verna have better quality interiors than the City. I do not know about the long term durability etc.

In the Petrol engine department,
I am inclined to put the Linea Tjet above the City.
Petrol engine - > Linea Tjet> ANHC > Verna>Vento=Fiesta>SX4> Linea 1.4 NA

And if one willing to take some risk with minor niggles and Fiat's A.S.S., Linea Tjet is the best petrol car in this segment without a doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
As per my assessment, the space in Linea is made and blown out of proportion. Accepted that its not as good as ANHC, however its on par with the others in the segment.

AHNC > Linea = Verna = Vento = Fiesta > SX4

Disclaimer - Other's opinions can always vary.
@nkrishnap, you are the owner of Linea. SO you know better. I have driven and sat in the Linea several times and it felt less spacious than the Vento for sure (which again I experience a few times). The old Fiesta I guess had similar space but the new one seems to have improved it.
I can change the ordering if majority of the people think otherwise though.

Last edited by adimicra : 23rd June 2011 at 11:08.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2011, 11:07   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post

@nkrishnap, you are the owner of Linea. SO you know better. I have driven and sat in the Linea several times and it felt less spacious than the Vento for sure (which again I experience a few times). The old Fiesta I guess had similar space but the new one seems to have improved it.
I can change the ordering if majority of the people think otherwise though.
PS, I dont own a Linea nor the Fiesta. This is again based on the experience from the test drives and experience when travelling otherwise.

Also this was purely my opinions and others' opinion can differ.
Old 23rd June 2011, 11:13   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent review Rehaan.

As a petrolhead I'm disappointed with the car. It's really sad to infer from the review that hardcore petrolheads should be knocking of the fiesta from the list and move towards the T-Jet. Anyways, the 1.6S never sold in huge numbers nor is the T-Jet now. With petrol prices sky rocketing the realities of the market have taken it's toll.

I kind of feel the OHC-NHC scenario though not as worse completely

Even though I hate Hyundais for their handling, not Ford/VW/FIAT like build quality, I APPLAUD them for the kind of engine & transmission choices they offer on the Verna. They let the consumer choose;not a bunch of MBAs sitting in a AC room.

Ford has tasted volumes with the Figo and they can repeat the same with the fiesta IF the pricing is sensible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
As per my assessment, the space in Linea is made and blown out of proportion. Accepted that its not as good as ANHC, however its on par with the others in the segment.

AHNC > Linea = Verna = Vento = Fiesta > SX4

Disclaimer - Other's opinions can always vary.
Blown out of proportion? It's pure mis representation of fact to state that Linea = Vento = Fiesta in space!

Opinions may vary;not facts.

The Linea has THE most poorly packaged interiors. I'm 6" tall and I couldn't sit in the rear bench of the Linea for 5 mins. The roof is so low and the seat is perched so high!
Old 23rd June 2011, 11:22   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post

From your review, this is the relative comparison with other cars in the segment IMO -
  • Petrol engine - > ANHC=LIne Tjet> Verna>Vento=Fiesta>SX4> Linea 1.4 NA
This is the only rating that I would want to change. There is no way in the world ANHC = T Jet. ANHC is a great car from an overall package point of view and I would still vote for ANHC as the best petrol car in India, but it cant come under FTD category. T Jet engine is a real gem of an engine, when it comes to petrol engines in C segment. The only next comparable FTD engine would the Laura's TSI. T Jet has superb power delivery, all 4 disc brakes, superb handling and excellent steering feedback. Since, we are talking only about engine here, T Jet is better than ANHC.

Also, I moved Vento to be equal to SX4 and new Fiesta in terms of experience. All my TDs and driving experiences of petrol Vento were not thrilling. Petrol Vento is good, but not as thrilling as the other 3 on the left.

So here's my rating:

Petrol engine - Linea Tjet > ANHC > Verna> Fiesta=Vento=SX4> Linea 1.4 NA
Old 23rd June 2011, 11:26   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Blown out of proportion? It's pure mis representation of fact to state that Linea = Vento = Fiesta in space!

Opinions may vary;not facts.

The Linea has THE most poorly packaged interiors. I'm 6" tall and I couldn't sit in the rear bench of the Linea for 5 mins. The roof is so low and the seat is perched so high!
Agreed facts will not vary, but the perceptions definitely vary, hope you would agree to this.

Agreed that the Linea is not packaged well in terms of space, but no way it can be called cramped. Are any measurements made with respect to the length of the seat and the under thigh support, hopefully this should reveal a lot more insight.

I would no way call myself a tall person at 5ft 8inches. May be a taller person will have different perception which would no way matter to me.
Old 23rd June 2011, 11:31   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
This is the only rating that I would want to change. There is no way in the world ANHC = T Jet. ANHC is a great car from an overall package point of view and I would still vote for ANHC as the best petrol car in India, but it cant come under FTD category. T Jet engine is a real gem of an engine, when it comes to petrol engines in C segment. The only next comparable FTD engine would the Laura's TSI. T Jet has superb power delivery, all 4 disc brakes, superb handling and excellent steering feedback. Since, we are talking only about engine here, T Jet is better than ANHC.

Also, I moved Vento to be equal to SX4 and new Fiesta in terms of experience. All my TDs and driving experiences of petrol Vento were not thrilling. Petrol Vento is good, but not as thrilling as the other 3 on the left.

So here's my rating:

Petrol engine - Linea Tjet > ANHC > Verna> Fiesta=Vento=SX4> Linea 1.4 NA
Ajay, I had already changed the rating in my earlier post. TJet is the best..agreed!
Old 23rd June 2011, 11:32   #173
BHPian

There are many posts on the Linea T-jet as a better enthusiast's car. I must say I agree. However, not many of us have the time and energy to pursue the lean service assistance. Availability of spares is another big concern.

Had Fiat cleaned up their show in time, they could have successfully weaned away many Ford fans. Many of us have some happy childhood memories associated with the Fiat brand.

Ford now claims upto 40% lower maintenance costs for the NFS compared against the others. This is definitely a plus.

Over the last 9 years, I have experienced the maintenance costs going down considerably for Ford cars. Hope the party continues with the NFS.
Old 23rd June 2011, 11:49   #174
BHPian

Fantastic Review.
I am a lil disappointed, as an enthusiast, on the engine options, but if that’s going to rake in the numbers for Ford then they are fully justified.
I saw the Verna on road, and it looked impressive, Fiesta will have a fight on its hands to beat some very good and established cars.
Old 23rd June 2011, 12:08   #175
Senior - BHPian

I personally feel, the T-Jet cant be compared with the Fiesta, primarily because the T-Jet is a model of Linea and is on the expensive side, whereas the Fiesta would have a range of variants fitting various pockets. And the Fiesta is backed up by Fords A.S.S. and spares would be cheaper too. So Fiesta numbers would be higher than Linea for sure. But what can be compared is the handling of these two cars as the Linea is the current benchmark for handling and the Fiesta would be challenging the Linea for the crown!
Old 23rd June 2011, 12:17   #176
Senior - BHPian

What is the standard warranty for the NFS? Is it the same as the Classic or different? Also would the extended warranty for the NFS be reasonably priced?

When the NFS is coming out with so many goodies, why doesn't it come with Anti rust coating too? Why is left to the dealer to provide the same.

Any comment on the paint quality too?
Old 23rd June 2011, 12:31   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
What is the standard warranty for the NFS? Is it the same as the Classic or different? Also would the extended warranty for the NFS be reasonably priced?

When the NFS is coming out with so many goodies, why doesn't it come with Anti rust coating too? Why is left to the dealer to provide the same.

Any comment on the paint quality too?
Ford uses some 3-Wet paint coating with anti rust coating on the car's body shell before it gets painted too. The paint facility was updated some time back to get the 3-Wet painting technology done I heard.
aravind.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2011, 12:51   #178
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta View Post
Had Fiat cleaned up their show in time, they could have successfully weaned away many Ford fans. Many of us have some happy childhood memories associated with the Fiat brand.
That’s a very valid point. I think cars from Ford and Fiat please their customers in almost similar way (due to the build, ride and handling capabilities), and switching between these brands are relatively easy. It’s a different story that Fiat is miles ahead in their lack of customer focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta View Post
Ford now claims upto 40% lower maintenance costs for the NFS compared against the others. This is definitely a plus.

Over the last 9 years, I have experienced the maintenance costs going down considerably for Ford cars. Hope the party continues with the NFS.
Personally I did not have much of a maintenance issue with my Ford in past 7 years, but I keep hearing from other friends that the ownership cost is quite low with the Figo and the Fiesta (now classic). And I personally never had any issues with Ford A.S&S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
I personally feel, the T-Jet cant be compared with the Fiesta, primarily because the T-Jet is a model of Linea and is on the expensive side, whereas the Fiesta would have a range of variants fitting various pockets. And the Fiesta is backed up by Fords A.S.S. and spares would be cheaper too.
I am not sure if I really understood what you mean. T-Jet is just another variant of the Linea right? And if my understanding is correct, Fiat never had exorbitant ownership costs, and their spares are quite reasonable in comparison with other European cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
But what can be compared is the handling of these two cars as the Linea is the current benchmark for handling and the Fiesta would be challenging the Linea for the crown!
How I wish we have an official compare section in T-BHP .
Old 23rd June 2011, 12:52   #179
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk007 View Post
I would have liked a better feature to be in the Fiesta rather than the cruise control. It would be really difficult to use the feature in India.
There are some people who will use it - though not many.

However, adding cruise control to a car these days is very easy. Its literally the addition of the cruise control buttons and the software code - nothing else (unlike the older days of vacuum systems etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by differential View Post
are the spare wheels 175/65 14s?
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Indicator/wiper stalks on the wrong side
Well, there's no right or wrong.. everyone has their preference (though i'll agree that the majority [me included] probably prefer the RHS)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-steering.html

Quote:
Pronounced transmission tunnel
Related thread :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...loor-rear.html

Quote:
you have mentioned you could not really experience the 'drift cancellation' function in action, but do you think it reduces torque steer which Ford cars normally have
Its unlikely to help combat torque steer. The drift-compensation is probably designed to kick in when it notices a constant force applied by the driver. This would probably be time and speed based. Torque-steer wouldn't qualify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Is there enough space under the front seats for the rear seat passenger to place the feet?
Yes there is. I did not notice any issues with this.

Quote:
what is the minimum speed from which the car was able to pull away in 2nd gear in the TDCi? You mention it is sluggish, just want to know how bad it is.
I didn't say it was sluggish, but for some reason its not very lug friendly.
In the TDCi, in second gear, i would guess 8 - 10 km/h...

Quote:
Can the stiffness be reduced by having tyres with large sidewall, say 185/70 instead of the 195/60
More sidewall = more flex, so yes.
I wonder if the lower variants are going to come with 14" wheels - this would help the ride quality a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Whats the funny looking thing in between the fuel gauge and the trip meter? Some dial?
When i asked a Ford engineer, he said the check engine light comes on there. Later i noticed the the check engine light (yellow "!" in a gear cog) shows on the tacho panel. There is a red light in that central area - but i'm not sure when it comes on. Perhaps to alert you of other failures, or the presense of coolant temp/ oil / etc warning lights?

More info on this would be appreciated...

cya
R
Old 23rd June 2011, 13:05   #180
BHPian

Rehaan,

If you had the money to buy, which car would you choose among the following diesel cars if the New Fiesta is priced on par with or below Vento / Verna? Can you rank your preference?

New Fiesta, New Verna, Vento, SX4 and Optra Magnum

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks