Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2013, 17:36   #856
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Alibaba.com is owned by arguably the world's largest internet and e commerce company TaoBao.com, from China. They have a good reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Blaze View Post
Thank you for the info Shankar. Gives the confidence to utilize their service.
Fair warning PapaBlaze, whil alibaba.com has a great reputation, it is a marketplace and you will be buying from a seller listed on the platform. Make sure the seller is well rated on the site before buying.

Meanwhile, I have booked my Jetta 2.0TDI CL and am expecting it around the 13th of July. Very excited! Even though i just registered, i have been reading this and other threads a lot while making my mind up.
The ride, handling and solidity is what swayed me over the Elantra's nifty and practical features like Dual Air Zone, ventilated front seats and parking camera assist all of which were very well designed but eventually lost out to the Jetta's overall stability ans sense of safety.

Thanks for all your inputs
Old 1st July 2013, 11:21   #857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
I was hoping I would not run into any problems with my 9 month old Jetta. But, yesterday, it happened. It was raining cats and dogs in the evening (while on my way to have a look again at the ecosport). Then suddenly, I felt water on my right shoulder. And lo behold, there is a leak from the driver door from the top. I believe it is a beading problem. Called the sales person who I interacted with and he asked me to take the car to Hosur road service station. I will try and take the car to the service station sometime this week. But I am shocked at the build quality of VW. Is it a common thing? I know people complained about the Etios twins on the beading, but a problem like this on a 20L car just doesn't instill confidence. I am also worried about the capability of the service station. Hopefully it is a minor issue and should be sorted out. But I still expected better quality from VW.
That is surprising indeed. I believe there had been a post earlier as well (in one of the ownership threads) where a similar thing had been mentioned and IIRC it had turned out that there was some water trapped in the beading which fell in later on at a toll plaza.

I personally have driven quite a lot in heavy downpours but thankfully no such issues.

However one thing to chek. Sometimes there is some dirt/grime in the windows channels & hence with the auto up / anti pinch working in tandem sometimes the window is open just a wee bit (nothing you can make out just looking at it) however if you give the window up switch a tug you will hear it closing more firmly. I have seen this make a significant difference to the road/wind noise atleast.
vkaul1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 13:59   #858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkaul1 View Post
That is surprising indeed. I believe there had been a post earlier as well (in one of the ownership threads) where a similar thing had been mentioned and IIRC it had turned out that there was some water trapped in the beading which fell in later on at a toll plaza.

I personally have driven quite a lot in heavy downpours but thankfully no such issues.

However one thing to chek. Sometimes there is some dirt/grime in the windows channels & hence with the auto up / anti pinch working in tandem sometimes the window is open just a wee bit (nothing you can make out just looking at it) however if you give the window up switch a tug you will hear it closing more firmly. I have seen this make a significant difference to the road/wind noise atleast.
My first reaction was to see whether the window was not closed fully(it was fully closed), and then I saw the water dripping from the top of the beading rather than trickling from the window. I will have it checked out at the service station. I will also try a DIY by having water splashed and checking for the leak again.
Old 6th July 2013, 12:49   #859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
I was hoping I would not run into any problems with my 9 month old Jetta. But, yesterday, it happened. It was raining cats and dogs in the evening (while on my way to have a look again at the ecosport). Then suddenly, I felt water on my right shoulder. And lo behold, there is a leak from the driver door from the top. I believe it is a beading problem. Called the sales person who I interacted with and he asked me to take the car to Hosur road service station. I will try and take the car to the service station sometime this week. But I am shocked at the build quality of VW. Is it a common thing? I know people complained about the Etios twins on the beading, but a problem like this on a 20L car just doesn't instill confidence. I am also worried about the capability of the service station. Hopefully it is a minor issue and should be sorted out. But I still expected better quality from VW.

Hi I have had problems with my jetta right from the first month. They have some serious issues with fit and finish of jetta. I have had some 10 trips to VW downtown service centre in less than an year. I had defective beading in all three doors except front left door. They do this horrendous trial and erro hoping you would give up on them and no follow up to completely solve the issue.

I had a very long and arduous mix of follow up, chase, persuasion and fight with them to address the issues promptly. Its sheer negligence and impunity on the part of the QA and QC of VW India that they actually sell cars which
are not fitted properly. Hence I requested all team bhpians jumping to buy the gt tsi to wait till they launch an extended warranty.

Anyways I hope your problem gets solved soon. I should say the car has only finishing issues. The car drives well on highways all problems creaks rattles and noises happen on bad roads at low speeds. My car had strange wiper noises in the second month itself which VW India says is not a defect and it is built to make such noises when it rains.

Be careful to take some form of written acknowledgement that the car had such issues in warranty period as it can help you in future incase you have to redress your grievance.

I have a fabia from same vw group which has not given any problems till date.

Cheers
Drivethru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 16:03   #860
Senior - BHPian

What is the usual waiting time for an AT Jetta down south?

My neighbor has booked a Jetta AT 2 months back and the dealer is pushing the limits on extending the information of dispatch from the factory. With the silly excuse that the factory is not sending the preferred color but some other colors!
Old 10th July 2013, 16:07   #861
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
What is the usual waiting time for an AT Jetta down south?

My neighbor has booked a Jetta AT 2 months back and the dealer is pushing the limits on extending the information of dispatch from the factory. With the silly excuse that the factory is not sending the preferred color but some other colors!
Day before yesterday when I went to check out the Jetta, the dealer showed me a customer car, which was AT and told me that, it took 3 months to get this car. The waiting for mt was some 1 month and for at, it was around 3 months.
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 01:09   #862
BHPian

Looking to get either a new VW Jetta Trendline or a used (demo) Passat (10 mo old less than 5K kms) for around the same price.

Does it make sense to go for a new Jetta or a pre-owned Passat.

I am inclined towards the pre-owned. Test drove the Passat and it brought a grin to my face its such a sheer joy to drive.
Old 11th July 2013, 06:39   #863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg25 View Post
Looking to get either a new VW Jetta Trendline or a used (demo) Passat (10 mo old less than 5K kms) for around the same price.

I am inclined towards the pre-owned. Test drove the Passat and it brought a grin to my face its such a sheer joy to drive.
If I were you I would steer clear of the demo passat. It would have been abused by different drivers even though its done 5K kms only. Plus, I feel the Jetta is more of a driver's car than the passat and has more GC which would be of immense help on our roads.
Old 11th July 2013, 07:52   #864
BHPian

Quote:

Are they giving any warranty with the passat? Even if they are say giving a one year warranty, and if you love driving that big a car, I think you should go for it. I have seen VW cars not being allowed to be abused as a showroom person as well as a driver sits with you for a test drive and immediately take you back to the start if they find you revving too much. I test drove the GT TSI the other day and put it in S mode and did 0-100 as fast as it could. Immediately next U turn, back to the showroom
Old 13th July 2013, 00:35   #865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
Are they giving any warranty with the passat? Even if they are say giving a one year warranty, and if you love driving that big a car, I think you should go for it. I have seen VW cars not being allowed to be abused as a showroom person as well as a driver sits with you for a test drive and immediately take you back to the start if they find you revving too much. I test drove the GT TSI the other day and put it in S mode and did 0-100 as fast as it could. Immediately next U turn, back to the showroom

There is a 13 month warranty still applicable on the Passat since its a 2012. Shaman Auto is giving an additional 2 year warranty for 29k since VW has stopped extended warranties on the Passat and Jetta. I am hoping they change their policy in the next few months.

Car has done only 1200kms drove it again today and compared to the Fluence, Jetta, Elantra all Test Driven in the last 3 days the Passat handles the best by far and handling is way better than the rest. I would say the Jetta comes a close second but then its from the same family.

The fluence was a major disappointment. 200 meters out of the showroom on a TD and I was ready to go back. Severly underpowered diesel manual (110bhp) on such a big car thats an insult.

TD the Elantra today (diesel auto) lot of "bling" in the car with all the gizmos but just lacks character. Not the car for me. Car drives well. Adequately powered or maybe a tad bit underpowered but good enough for Indian traffic and road. The Steering felt like I was driving those old tug boats. Way too light no feedback. Had to turn 2 rotations once at slow speed to just make a quasi U-Turn.

So it all comes back to the same question a New Jetta or a 11 month old Passat for the same price and kit.
Old 13th July 2013, 13:48   #866
Senior - BHPian

11 month old passat for the same price and Kit. No second thought. The passat has more belts and whistles and if you are getting 3 year warranty, please go ahead and book it.

Get some review on clutch, brake and other easily wearable parts including suspension. Get a feedback from a mechanic and not the sales person.

The only part i am not sure is the handling where the Jetta would do better. But for rear seat comfort and chauffeur driven passat is definitely better.

I say Passat.
Old 14th July 2013, 02:25   #867
BHPian

Quote:

Please stay away from preowned in this segment. As shivasuma mentioned demo cars are abused. Incase you decide to go for the passat invest sometime and find out what may potentially go wrong with this car which the warranty doesn't cover. There is too much of fine print in this warranties. The cost of even very minor repairs are high. Add to that the delay in getting parts is very high in some of the high end VW models.
Old 14th July 2013, 21:55   #868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivethru View Post
Please stay away from preowned in this segment. As shivasuma mentioned demo cars are abused. Incase you decide to go for the passat invest sometime and find out what may potentially go wrong with this car which the warranty doesn't cover. There is too much of fine print in this warranties. The cost of even very minor repairs are high. Add to that the delay in getting parts is very high in some of the high end VW models.

I am now considering a 10 mo old VW India owned Passat, which was used to ferret Senior management but has only done 1000 kms. Getting it checked by VW workshop to see if anything is wrong with the car. Trendline manual for ~16L sure sounds like a good deal to me. Any comments suggestions appreciated. Anything in particular I should be asking the VW service center to look for.

Thanks
Old 15th July 2013, 08:36   #869
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I am now considering a 10 mo old VW India owned Passat, which was used to ferret Senior management but has only done 1000 kms. Getting it checked by VW workshop to see if anything is wrong with the car. Trendline manual for ~16L sure sounds like a good deal to me. Any comments suggestions appreciated. Anything in particular I should be asking the VW service center to look for.

Thanks
1000 km sounds too good to be true unless it was used within a factory or similar. Again, too few miles over that time does more harm than good
Old 15th July 2013, 16:57   #870
BHPian

Quote:
I am now considering a 10 mo old VW India owned Passat, which was used to ferret Senior management but has only done 1000 kms.
Thanks
Sorry for being a little cynical, I would not fall for this 1000 kms number. I agree with Ajmat it can harm if the car has only done 1000 kms in 10 months. If you get it checked from service centre of the dealer who is trying to sell this car, I'm not sure he will give you an exhaustive list of things which may be wrong with the car.
Drivethru is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks