Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2014, 21:20   #1486
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Took my Rapid for the first service (7500km/6 Months). The service was completed quickly and efficiently. I had gone to Vinayak Skoda service centre at TC Palaya in Bangalore.

Now the negative: The car's Odo and other details seem to have been reset. It now shows 0KM (or whatever distance I drove from the service centre to home). What can be done to rectify this? Or should I just live with it and remember to add the previous ODO during future service appointments?
Old 2nd March 2014, 02:15   #1487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
Hi all, As per the details on Cardekho.com after having revised their prices just yesterday, Skoda India have gone ahead and released a limited edition of the Rapid called "Ultima". According to the Skoda India officials the limited edition is going to be the way forward as the company sees a potential in sales for their product portfolios.

Attachment 1213714

Thanks

AD

Source: http://www.cardekho.com/india-car-ne...ched-12525.htm
Limited edition gimmick is nothing new from Skoda for Rapid. The earlier variants with the same set of features except for different decals were Prestige and Leisure editions.

Points to be noted:
The Parking Sensor, Rear View Cam, Navigation system are fitted at dealer level. They sit in the dashboard and is an inconvenience sometimes. I mean they are not as good as HU integrated ones from factory as is available from competition.

the seven spoke alloys don't look as strong as the five spoke Antares alloys.

Dealers tend not to give discounts on limited edition, claiming their margins in these models are too thin. I can say that from my personal experience.
selvagp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2014, 13:26   #1488
BHPian

Looking for recommendations on spoiler for my Red Rapid. The OEM spoilers cost 12K. Should I get these from an external vendor? What should be the expected cost if I procure externally? Any specific pointers where can I procure these in Bangalore?

Cheers
Old 5th March 2014, 22:23   #1489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selvagp View Post
Dealers tend not to give discounts on limited edition, claiming their margins in these models are too thin. I can say that from my personal experience.
While I agree to this statement partially.
When Prestige Edition was launched, the dealer was barely ready to give any discounts.
However later in the year, when I negotiated for the Leisure model I got hefty discounts on the same.

Quote:
Points to be noted:
The Parking Sensor, Rear View Cam, Navigation system are fitted at dealer level. They sit in the dashboard and is an inconvenience sometimes. I mean they are not as good as HU integrated ones from factory as is available from competition.

the seven spoke alloys don't look as strong as the five spoke Antares alloys.
Yes, they sit on dashboard and may be a bit inconvenient for some but they are also value adds. I would not have gone for the Navigation unit from Aftermarket but since the day I have it, I am loving it. Specially with the inbuilt rear-view display.
They may be dealer fitted but are a) OEM b)company backed c)Without any warranty issues.
At 8-10Lakh, how many cars have the integrated HU with navigation and rear cam/parking sensors?

Thus, I would not call it purely a Gimmick.

Finally, IMHO the deal is really sweet for the Ambition Plus model as against Elegance model, where in at a difference of 34K a lot of goodies are being provided.
Old 5th March 2014, 23:05   #1490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achopraa View Post
When Prestige Edition was launched, the dealer was barely ready to give any discounts.
However later in the year, when I negotiated for the Leisure model I got hefty discounts on the same.
Probably this time around the dealers may pass on the benefits. The ad pictures state +insurance @1 +15000 exchange bonus +10000 Corp Discount

Quote:

They may be dealer fitted but are a) OEM b)company backed c)Without any warranty issues.
At 8-10Lakh, how many cars have the integrated HU with navigation and rear cam/parking sensors?

Finally, IMHO the deal is really sweet for the Ambition Plus model as against Elegance model, where in at a difference of 34K a lot of goodies are being provided.
My perception,
The same Navigation system + Sensor + Camera can be bought as accessory and installed by the dealers.
Going for Ultima edition, increases Ex-Showroom cost which in turn increases tax and insurance premium (although provided @1 under this offer)
In Chennai this takes the ex-showroom to more than 10 lac increasing the tax by about 60k.
The 5 spoke Antares alloys were provided at a difference of just 15k last month.
Ambition + Ultima won't get Camera
The floor mats are often given as freebies by dealers.

May be I should refrain from saying gimmick, instead say very good marketing strategy by Skoda. More margin for Skoda than value for customers.
Old 6th March 2014, 08:45   #1491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Took my Rapid for the first service (7500km/6 Months). The service was completed quickly and efficiently. I had gone to Vinayak Skoda service centre at TC Palaya in Bangalore.

Now the negative: The car's Odo and other details seem to have been reset. It now shows 0KM (or whatever distance I drove from the service centre to home). What can be done to rectify this? Or should I just live with it and remember to add the previous ODO during future service appointments?
Hi,

I dont think that the ODO can be reset, I'm pretty sure its the service reminder system that has been reset.
Just check by cycling through the menu on the ODO to see exactly how much you've clocked.

They do this every service and reset the service reminder clock (Kms + Days) on the system.

If it really has been reset, enjoy your brand new car!

Cheers,
Aayush
aayushnair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 12:19   #1492
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by selvagp View Post
Probably this time around the dealers may pass on the benefits. The ad pictures state +insurance @1 +15000 exchange bonus +10000 Corp Discount

My perception,
The same Navigation system + Sensor + Camera can be bought as accessory and installed by the dealers.
Going for Ultima edition, increases Ex-Showroom cost which in turn increases tax and insurance premium (although provided @1 under this offer)
In Chennai this takes the ex-showroom to more than 10 lac increasing the tax by about 60k.
The 5 spoke Antares alloys were provided at a difference of just 15k last month.
Ambition + Ultima won't get Camera
The floor mats are often given as freebies by dealers.

May be I should refrain from saying gimmick, instead say very good marketing strategy by Skoda. More margin for Skoda than value for customers.
I second selvagp here. 2 weeks before when I went for booking a Rapid, I was offered free insurance on Elegance and the OTR was ~10.80l. I wanted reverse camera, sensors similar to the setup in ultima/leisure. Ultima was not introduced during that time. The camera and sensors definitely would not have costed more than 20k if I am not wrong. Hence the final effective OTR came to ~11l

Now the scenario for Ultima is that the ex-showroom crosses the 10l barrier and hence the OTR after the insurance and corp discount is ~11.70l which is a whooping 70k more than what I was offered 2 weeks back for the same package except for the side stickers and seat covers .

If I opt for the Ambition Ultima I will be missing out on the projector head lamps and climatronic controls which I don't want to miss.

I am skeptical now whether my SA will offer me the same deal on Elegance today. Also I am not sure whether he will agree to fit the camera and sensor or he will market the Ultima.

This is indeed a very good marketing strategy by Skoda. More margin for Skoda than value for customers as said by selvagp.
Old 6th March 2014, 14:24   #1493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narsi_6989 View Post
I second selvagp here. 2 weeks before when I went for booking a Rapid, I was offered free insurance on Elegance and the OTR was ~10.80l. I wanted reverse camera, sensors similar to the setup in ultima/leisure. Ultima was not introduced during that time. The camera and sensors definitely would not have costed more than 20k if I am not wrong. Hence the final effective OTR came to ~11l
I am skeptical now whether my SA will offer me the same deal on Elegance today. Also I am not sure whether he will agree to fit the camera and sensor or he will market the Ultima.

This is indeed a very good marketing strategy by Skoda. More margin for Skoda than value for customers as said by selvagp.

Don't take it personal but you should have blocked the deal if you were getting it earlier. Once it is gone, it's gone (unless you negotiate harder).
Secondly, obviously the company will try to move its inventory and they will shower N number of schemes. When they rolled out the Pay in 2015 scheme, I highlighted how misleading the scheme was but there were few who went all ga ga over the same.
But then, (us) customers have to understand his needs and decide accordingly.
Just in case you are willing to hold your decision, I would suggest to wait for another few months when the new Rapid gets rolled out, then this would be available at hefty discounts. (Else IMO you should have gone for 2013 models being offered at marvelous benefits until last month)
achopraa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 14:30   #1494
BHPian

Quote:
Don't take it personal but you should have blocked the deal if you were getting it earlier. Once it is gone, it's gone (unless you negotiate harder).
Secondly, obviously the company will try to move its inventory and they will shower N number of schemes. When they rolled out the Pay in 2015 scheme, I highlighted how misleading the scheme was but there were few who went all ga ga over the same.
But then, (us) customers have to understand his needs and decide accordingly.
Just in case you are willing to hold your decision, I would suggest to wait for another few months when the new Rapid gets rolled out, then this would be available at hefty discounts. (Else IMO you should have gone for 2013 models being offered at marvelous benefits until last month)
Point taken . I was not able to block the deal due to certain personal and unavoidable circumstances. Also, the deal I was getting was on MY14 and not the 2013 vehicle.

I very well know how misleading these offers are on paper. We need to see the intrinsic details and decide and that is what prompted me to skip the pay in 2015 deal.

I know that Skoda will be changing the schemes for Rapid every month and I am willing to wait. I will be choosing the model based on my needs and will thoroughly investigate before signing the dotted line
Old 6th March 2014, 15:09   #1495
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Are you sure you were reading the odo. display on the MFD and not the service reminder option with the wrench symbol?

If the odo. is indeed reset to 0, contact your SA and using the VCDS, the service technicians should restore the reading back. It isn't wise to continue with the reading reset as it may lead to confusions later on.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 19:03   #1496
BHPian

Quote:
The car's Odo and other details seem to have been reset
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
It isn't wise to continue with the reading reset as it may lead to confusions later on.
Down the time you gotta replace some parts based on the odo reading, for instance timing belt has to be replaced at 60K kms. So you better get this thing sorted out to prevent any hitches in the future.

Last edited by Pferdestarke : 6th March 2014 at 19:05. Reason: typo
Pferdestarke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2014, 16:17   #1497

Does waiting for the New Skoda Rapid make sense?

Respected Team BHP-ians.

My first post to this Forum, and I am truly excited! I have been an ardent follower of T-BHP, and I must say that the amount of knowledge and insights I have gained herein is truly unparalleled.

Have been planning on a new car for a while now, and loved the Skoda Rapid given the recent additions to its feature list! My question looking at the news and information - would it make sense to hold back for new Euro Spec Skoda Rapid if it is coming by year end? I hear that it will be a completely new Rapid. What is the likelihood of the current one becoming a discontinued model with the launch of the new one? If I go for it, will there be any issues with the current model in terms of service / parts over the next 3-5 years?

Any advice or guidance will be much appreciated ...
Old 16th March 2014, 19:23   #1498
BHPian

Re: Does waiting for the New Skoda Rapid make sense?

I would if i were you. The new Rapid will be here by Nov.

My personal suggestion with Skoda experience would be to go with the new City. The car will last you atleast 5 years and it ages very well.

Last edited by GTO : 17th March 2014 at 12:49. Reason: Typo
krreddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2014, 19:51   #1499
BHPian

Re: Does waiting for the New Skoda Rapid make sense?

I don't think an all new Rapid is expected. Not the Euro model and that too by November. The current Rapid is expected to get a facelift to keep it in adherence with Skoda's new design language. What this means is that the front will get a complete makeover and may be some part of the rear will also go under the knife.

I would still say wait till the facelift is launched. Or get the City.
y2ksrs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2014, 09:10   #1500
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi folks,
I own a Vento (50k+ kms done). Recently after my Ahmedabad trip, I started hearing some minor noise from front suspension - it comes when I am going over a bump or similar. Also hearing it when I turn the wheel at when stationary. I showed it to the VW workshop, they have asked me to come back and keep the car for a day.

Considering both the cars are almost identical, has anyone experienced this or read/heard about this? A bit concerned as the suspension clearly is out of warranty context. Would definitely like to hear feedback from this forum if available.

Most Viewed