Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2016, 00:05   #811
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterace View Post
... But the behaviour of the Service Advisors is shocking. Did you report the matter to the GM or to TML?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
Did you lodge a complaint through app?
I mailed them 3 times. There was no reply after the 1st generic reply.
After a week, I got tired & busy.

Recently, I randomly got a SMS that my Nano was ready after being serviced! I had't sent it!

I immediately tweeted to Tata Motors with a screenshot of the SMS & another pic of the car standing outside my house.

I suspected Tata Motors Authorised Service Center - KHT Motors had made a fake job card, just like before! So I mentioned the date of the email I had sent back then with proof (but they (Dealer & Tata Motors) hadn't replied then) : Jun 2, 2013, 3:03 PM bstolia at gmail dot com.

When I logged on to the App & checked, I was shocked to find that the service center seemed to've opened a fake job card and recorded my car to have come for some "Monsoon Campaign" !

I immediately tweeted the screenshot of the app & my cars current odometer reading as against the false reading shown as would be recorded in the Job card.Link

I got 2 calls from the service manager at KHT. Forget apology, in one of them he had the gall to say that since he's ready to service my car now, I should co-operate & take back my complaint!

What logic!? This is their attitude. Anyway, TATA didn't follow up because they obviously don't care (infact I feel the insiders of the company want to promote such siphoning). I never followed up vehemently since I knew Tata doesn't care and I was busy travelling.

Links to my previous experiences with Tata Motors Authorised Service Centers fabricating Fake Job Cards :

1 ) The first time on 20th May, 2013, when I unsuspectingly signed a "Feedback Form" that a person (claiming to've directly come from Tata Motors) lied about being a general feedback being collected by Tata Motors parent company.

Actually, the people at KHT Motors Authorised Service Center had made a fake job card. (Possibly to siphon off funds from Tata Motors that'd be granted for AMC services) On 2-6-2013, I mailed them ALL the screenshot of Tata Motors Assured website showing an odometer reading as on 18th May that my car hadn't even reached till 2nd June !

No reply from anyone.

2) The Second time, on 8th July 2013, again the same person came again to collect feedback in the post service feedback form.

I wasn't going to fill the form this, but I called the GM of service & asked what was going on. He confirmed it was a genuine feedback form. I didn't mind since I had the call recorder on my phone and I anyway trusted him since he was afterall the GM of service at the ASC.

Still, this time I clicked a picture of the persons ID, the feedback form and the way in which I filled the feedback form.

My WiFi was down, so I tweeted Tata Motors all the pics & explanation the next day.

Still, no reply.

This was not recorded in my service history as I clearly warned the person that if required I'd make time to rake up the whole issue.

I guess this is getting abit discouraging, but despite the nonsense going on at Tata ASC, I felt happy using the Nano to drive around this crazy Bangalore traffic.

This is the reason I'm always demanding that we put the onus of the servicing & maintenance headache on TATA Motors by demanding a Super-LONG term warranty & AMC. Even at an extra cost.

Else, dealers will keep fooling owners who trust the Tata brand based on whatever nonsensical narratives about "honesty & trustworthiness" or "Tata Code of Conduct" that the parent company promotes itself with. The Supreme Court order yesterday shows the true face of Tata.

Edit : I say the above as a practical person. Infact I believe Tata now seem to be making honest cars. Just some of their other dealings seem shady (Example : Dealing with ASC & its internal controls) . And for anyone buying a Tata car, he needs to make sure they stay with the car during service & not let any nonsense happen. The changes like the service APP etc prove that somewhere up there, *some* good intent does exist. But if you take things for granted, it won't take time for things to go very wrong.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 2nd September 2016 at 00:35.
GrammarNazi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 06:57   #812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
And for anyone buying a Tata car, he needs to make sure they stay with the car during service & not let any nonsense happen. The changes like the service APP etc prove that somewhere up there, *some* good intent does exist. But if you take things for granted, it won't take time for things to go very wrong.
Quite accurate, but one can get good results without staying with the car. Tata is still loaded with an ancient DNA where connections matter more than processes - very unlike Toyota, or even Maruti/Hyundai.

One needs to access someone high in the service organisation and make sure they know that your car is in for service, every time it goes there. And they need to know that you have access somewhere high in TML. Once this context is in place, excellent results are always obtained.

It shouldn't be so, but it is.
Sawyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 12:48   #813
BHPian

Hats off to Tata Nano and three friends who completed Mangol rally!

Tata Nano helps 3 friends complete 18,000 km Mongol Rally
sameervg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 07:43   #814
Senior - BHPian

Here is a post on Nano's headlight bulb change and use of LEDs

Last edited by arjithin : 17th March 2017 at 07:45.
Old 21st April 2017, 20:01   #815
Senior - BHPian

My Pre-owned 2012 Tata Nano LX

I was on the hunt for a pre-owned, low cost and compact city car which gave me the convenience of a two wheeler and in my list there were two options; 1) Tata Nano or 2) Maruti Omni. I was considering purchasing either one of these two shortlisted options and it was the Nano which i ended up bringing home.

So here it is, a 2012 Mojito Green Tata Nano The same colour which the test drive Nano featured here came in. It has 28000KM on its clock and I am its second owner.

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-20170420_184435.jpg
Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-20170420_184416.jpg

I picked it up from Maruti True Value close to my home. I have driven the Nano only once before and that was a very short drive and my proper drive in a Nano is in the one i picked up yesterday and am I thrilled! There is something totally awesome about driving the smallest four wheeler in the city and places which seemed inaccessible in a larger vehicle suddenly becomes accessible in the Nano. Except for a hard clutch the car is totally fun to drive!!

With all used cars there remains something to be done by the new owner, here is my list:

1) One tyre is old and worn out rest all are good.
2) Under the headlight some rust has started to creep in and this needs to be fixed.
3) Seat covers
4) Replace horn with Windtone 90 which i have with me.

Reason for rusting. See the photos below. There was a large nest like buildup of dry leaves and twigs which got trapped behind both headlights. This crap seems to hold the moisture in when its get wet and over the years it affected the metal underneath.

RH Headlight area
Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-20170421_144926.jpg
Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-20170421_144934.jpg

LH Headlight area after i cleaned it out
Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-20170421_144941.jpg

Rust which became visible after i cleaned up that area.
Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-20170421_161412.jpg
Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-20170421_161429.jpg
Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-20170421_161448.jpg

Last edited by Sankar : 21st April 2017 at 20:04.
Sankar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 21:40   #816
BHPian

Congratulations on your new small wonder!
It is surprising that the previous owner did not remove the leaves proactively given that for filling fuel one has to open the bonnet!
Please do attend to rust as early as you can!
Old 21st April 2017, 22:10   #817
Senior - BHPian

Thank you. Its a small wonder indeed.

The leaves were completely hidden behind the lower portion of the headlight. I didnt see it either when i opened the bonnet, visible only if the lights are removed which i happened to do to put led park light bulbs which i happened to have.

Also what needs to be done to open the rear hatch? I guess tail lamp bulb change needs the hatch to be removed to access the tail light. One bulb is looking blackish and will need replacement soon.
Old 1st June 2017, 13:43   #818
BHPian

@GrammarNazi ,
Its true with all TSC I suppose. Last time I sent my nano for service with pre booked appointment. They returned the car after washing and never serviced the car and told me that it too early to do the service as the car has done less than 3k since last service.
They added the service as campaign50 in the app.
Now when I took to service later they said that warranty will not stand the oil changes were not done in stipulated time frame. What the heck ? Whose fault ?
Its all in the newly opened dealer Trivandrum motors.

My car have Gold AMC for 4 years and 20K kms and now they are saying AMC is applicable only for two service and I have to pay up. So had to shell out 3400 for service.
Tried contacting tata motors via FB and twitter , no response from them yet.
bullboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2017, 16:03   #819
BHPian

Hello All,
I want to buy a nano XM or XT as a city beater car because my Innova Crysta is becoming too cumbersome in the city to live with. Therefore, suggest me which one should I buy. Also, I want to keep the car for long so I have some concerns on the reliability since it is a tata.
Please suggest keeping in mind that I am on a very tight budget.
With Regards,
Shreyas Kumar Agarwal
Old 29th July 2017, 21:51   #820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Agarwal View Post
Hello All,
I want to buy a nano XM or XT as a city beater car because my Innova Crysta is becoming too cumbersome in the city to live with. Therefore, suggest me which one should I buy. Also, I want to keep the car for long so I have some concerns on the reliability since it is a tata.
With Regards,
Shreyas Kumar Agarwal
Hi Shreyas,

I own a Tata Nano XTA , the automatic version and can say that it makes the driving in traffic conditions a breezy affair. Coming to reliability, Tata Nano GenX is the best nano in terms of overall package since its launch IMO.

I would like to suggest that you buy the AMC & Extended Warranty along with the purchase so that you can have peace of mind. It would mean that you are not only covered in terms of warranty but also all the services and spares (under AMC).

To sum up, I would say that this is a perfect and practical city car and reliability is pretty good!

You can reach out to me if you have any additional questions to help decide!

Cheers!
iabhishekkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2017, 23:20   #821
Senior - BHPian

Whether you buy a manual or automatic try to opt for the post 2015 Gen X Nano's.
NVH is better, suspension has been tweaked, gear ratios worked upon and the entire vehicle is put together in a better way.
I just completed a 1700 kilometre jaunt in a 2015 Nano Gen X across smooth roads, Golden Quadrilateral, village roads, rutted paths , amidst torrential rain and even a fair deal of waterlogging. The little bug didn't miss a beat. Heck: I didn't even have a flat. And all this with AC on and an average of 21kmpl.
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2017, 02:05   #822
BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,
With Regards,
Shreyas Kumar Agarwal
Would seriously suggest looking at a nearly new or slightly old but Less used car, you won't realise how much this car loses when in the used car market, or you can try calling up different dealers in your city and check for old stock that goes at bargain prices, I once saw a Tata showroom's yard just behind my factory and happened to ask the security guard, I was told there were plenty of 2011 and 2012 cars ready to be had at bargain prices with extended warranty free, this was in 2014 January.All this for the manual
If you have the budget, in case if Automatic and new, you must go for Alto AMT or kwid AMT, the incremental performance justifies the price increment too.
dhruvritzed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2017, 07:22   #823
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, I want to keep the car for long so I have some concerns on the reliability since it is a tata.
I bought a top line Nano in 2013 which at that time did not have either power steering or AMT, for a ten year planned life and I have no regrets. I don't need AMT for the level of traffic I face, and I also have a Gypsy, so I don't need power steering on a Nano!

Even though these options are now available, I would still not choose these, to keep to a minimum things that could fail/need attention over a ten year period - as long as the interior quality/features of the car were still available.

The car is now my choice for every city drive - bigger cars aren't good for my blood pressure in city use, driving or parking.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2017, 10:56   #824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Whether you buy a manual or automatic try to opt for the post 2015 Gen X Nano's.
NVH is better, suspension has been tweaked, gear ratios worked upon and the entire vehicle is put together in a better way.
I agree. My own experience with my 2011 Nano is that though the car will take you anywhere, the journey would leave you a bit tired from the NVH and the unassisted steering. I have now moved to a Tiago and find that it is much more comfortable for longer periods, even in city traffic. I have driven a genx Nano and my assessment is the same as @arjab. It is definitely the model to pick.
Motard_Blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 16:34   #825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iabhishekkumar View Post
Hi Shreyas,

I own a Tata Nano XTA , the automatic version and can say that it makes the driving in traffic conditions a breezy affair. Coming to reliability, Tata Nano GenX is the best nano in terms of overall package since its launch IMO.
Yes it would surely be a breeze to drive in the city, we own the automatic version of the Crysta and we are very happy with it but we don't want to buy the automatic since we are on a very tight budget.

Quote:
I would like to suggest that you buy the AMC & Extended Warranty along with the purchase so that you can have peace of mind. It would mean that you are not only covered in terms of warranty but also all the services and spares (under AMC).
I never ever believed in extended warranties since they do not cover any wear and tear part and if there is a manufacturing defect that would surely show up during the warranty period.
I didn't understand the meaning of AMC so can you please elaborate?

Quote:
To sum up, I would say that this is a perfect and practical city car and reliability is pretty good!
Your comment has surely increased my confidence in the nano.

Quote:
You can reach out to me if you have any additional questions to help decide!

Cheers!
Thanks for your help, I have two questions in my mind
1. Does the XM version come with air con? I am confused because the dealer told me that it doesn't come with it but tata's webpage mentions that it has the air con.

2. What will be the resale value after 3 or 4 years of usage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
I agree. My own experience with my 2011 Nano is that though the car will take you anywhere, the journey would leave you a bit tired from the NVH and the unassisted steering. I have now moved to a Tiago and find that it is much more comfortable for longer periods, even in city traffic. I have driven a genx Nano and my assessment is the same as @arjab. It is definitely the model to pick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvritzed View Post
Would seriously suggest looking at a nearly new or slightly old but Less used car, you won't realise how much this car loses when in the used car market, or you can try calling up different dealers in your city and check for old stock that goes at bargain prices, I once saw a Tata showroom's yard just behind my factory and happened to ask the security guard, I was told there were plenty of 2011 and 2012 cars ready to be had at bargain prices with extended warranty free, this was in 2014 January.All this for the manual
Thanks for your advice, I am now looking for a well maintained 2016 model or a new one.
Quote:
If you have the budget, in case if Automatic and new, you must go for Alto AMT or kwid AMT, the incremental performance justifies the price increment too.
As mentioned earlier, I am on a very tight budget so all other options are out of the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
The car is now my choice for every city drive - bigger cars aren't good for my blood pressure in city use, driving or parking.
My Innova Crysta getting rammed three times within one month isn't good for my blood pressure too so nano is actually a great medicine for Blood Pressure.
The first time I thought to buy a nano was when the repair bills of my Crysta shot up to Rs. 70000

Last edited by Shreyas Agarwal : 31st July 2017 at 16:35.
Shreyas Agarwal is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks