Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2012, 12:12   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Audi Q3 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
After seeing the Q3 in Flesh and experiencing it, I agree with the general feedback - Q3 beats X1 on all counts - except probably cost. If i were looking at a premium compact SUV, this is just it.
Let's not forget X1 is a more involving car to drive with a purer drive experience compared to the Q3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_speed View Post
A quick question to those who have driven both: On the basis of comfort alone, is the Q3 better than a 5 series or an E class? X1?
Q3 is not a match to E class/5 series for comfort. Q3's sibling from the same price bracket- the A4 has much more accommodating rear seats. For sheer comfort even the much cheaper Jetta/Fluence/Laura have it covered in Ride, space, rear seat etc. Q3 is not a car to spend time on rear seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Does the Q3 have significantly more leg-space than the x1? I actually find the leg space on the X1 pretty poor (considering the price/segment).
Can be slightly better but within the same league, not a good choice to be driven in.
Old 30th April 2012, 12:43   #62
BHPian

Great review anshuman.
Now Audi has a winner. They need to improve their service quality and overall attitude towards Indian buyers. These entry level products are bought by people who are mostly first time luxury car buyers and expect good service support as well as attitude with respect. In that case BMW is doing extremely well by pampering such buyers.
I don't think there would be direct competition of X1 and Q3, unless Q3 is launched at 25 Lacs. Still below 40 L bracket Q3 is best option today.
Old 30th April 2012, 13:34   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post

Q3 is not a match to E class/5 series for comfort. Q3's sibling from the same price bracket- the A4 has much more accommodating rear seats. For sheer comfort even the much cheaper Jetta/Fluence/Laura have it covered in Ride, space, rear seat etc. Q3 is not a car to spend time on rear seats.

Can be slightly better but within the same league, not a good choice to be driven in.
Thanks! I was thinking that the SUV characteristics will be of help in ride comfort whicht is the only reason I was looking forward to this. If it doesn't offer significantly more comfort than my Altis, then I am missing the point of it completely.

The run flat = bad ride on 5 series and no Secure on E class makes it a hard choice in that segment as well. Excellent review anyway!
Old 30th April 2012, 15:29   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The run flat = bad ride on 5 series
Despite those run flats the new 5 has very good ride, something not expected from a BMW.

If comfort is a priority for you try out the VW Passat, Skoda Superb, Honda Accord, Nissan Teana or new Hyundai Sonata. All these cars have nice spacious sofa like rear seats with loads of space and Ride is well setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raosaheb Desai View Post
I don't think there would be direct competition of X1 and Q3, unless Q3 is launched at 25 Lacs. Still below 40 L bracket Q3 is best option today.
Let's wait for the pricing to come out. Since Q5 2.0 TDI is available for close to 37lakhs ex-showroom delhi before any discounts, i expect the top end Q3 to retail for 30-31 max, which is in X1 top end category. But since there is no low end variant in the beginning, the current lower variant with Quattro and higher tune engine might be more expensive than the low end X1.

Since Q3 will be positioned slightly below the A4, i do not expect it to be more expensive than the upcoming new A4.

Good news is the new A4 will get the much awaited 174hp version of 2.0 TDI engine mated to Dual clutch gearbox, the current car has 140hp version with CVT transmission.

Just for comparison sake check out my take on BMW X1 HERE (BMW X1 20d CE: Joy Experienced).

Last edited by .anshuman : 30th April 2012 at 15:45.
Old 30th April 2012, 17:30   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Since Q5 2.0 TDI is available for close to 37lakhs ex-showroom delhi before any discounts
Can you confirm this? I have checked with both Audi Delhi and Gurgaon and they said it was a Corporate Edition for a very limited time not available for sales since last year. Further, one of the dealerships said that 3.0L is not in production temporarily and the 2.0L is selling for 42-43L now.
Old 30th April 2012, 17:43   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can you confirm this? I have checked with both Audi Delhi and Gurgaon and they said it was a Corporate Edition for a very limited time not available for sales since last year. Further, one of the dealerships said that 3.0L is not in production temporarily and the 2.0L is selling for 42-43L now.
I am not sure of the current pricing post budget, this was price when i last check few months back. My point was, i do not see any possibility of Q3 being priced at 37lakhs.
Old 30th April 2012, 20:10   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman

I am not sure of the current pricing post budget, this was price when i last check few months back. My point was, i do not see any possibility of Q3 being priced at 37lakhs.
Separately, I also heard somewhere that the lower end Q5 that retails around 42 Lakh on road is proposed to be discontinued to allow pricing flexibility for the Q3. Personally I was disappointed to hear this, because overall it indicates fairly premium pricing across both models. Don't know how true this info is though.
Old 1st May 2012, 22:20   #68
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic review anshuman!attention to detail was simply fab.

The q3 seems to be a great vehicle and is certainly destined to run all over the x1 sales.especially since beamers have a long wait associated with the x1 (Especially in Bangalore). Not to mention the great features available in the q3. Audi really seems serious about this vehicle.BMW not so much about the x1.

One big concern is the fact that the q3 is coming via the CBU route now which could put it in the range of the Volvo xc60. The sooner the FWD version is here the better for Audi.

Is the BMW x1 due for a facelift/revamp?
Old 1st May 2012, 23:13   #69
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Good news is the new A4 will get the much awaited 174hp version of 2.0 TDI engine mated to Dual clutch gearbox, the current car has 140hp version with CVT transmission.
I doubt this. Generally front wheel drive Audi comes with multitronic. Most AWDs come with DSG. New A6 2.0 TDI comes with multitronic while quattors(3.0 TDI and TFSI) come with DSG . Most probably A4 2.0TDI will come with 8 speed multitronic.
anb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2012, 23:23   #70
Senior - BHPian

.anshuman,

The Q3 2.0TDI Quattro costs more than A4 2.0TDI FWD even in German markets so I can assure you Q3 top model will cost similar or most likely more than the A4 in it's 2.0TDI variant in India, Unless the A4 2.0TDI also gets Quattro. Worst is Initial models will be CBU so in states like Gujarat the RTO goes double for CBU cars vs CKD which is an added cost to the over all price of the car.

Do see my post on the same here Audi Q3 Price

And the Business Edition of Q5 has been discontinued to make space for the Q3 so I truly expect the Q3 to be expensive and Audi position it as a life style alternative to the A4 rather then a model below it.

Quote:
Since Q5 2.0 TDI is available for close to 37lakhs ex-showroom delhi before any discounts, i expect the top end Q3 to retail for 30-31 max, which is in X1 top end category. Since Q3 will be positioned slightly below the A4, i do not expect it to be more expensive than the upcoming new A4.

ricky_speed, You are correct, the Business Ed. Q5 is no more and was mostly done to spill beans over the X3 launch only. But the X3 Corp. Ed. is planned for a launch soon.

Quote:
they said it was a Corporate Edition for a very limited time not available for sales since last year.

Dear Sir,

While the Q3 may be a great vehicle it is not going to run all over the sales of X1 as the car is going to be priced a little higher, and the X1 has few updates planned to counter Q3's launch.

Feature wise Variant to Variant the X1 is also quite loaded keeping the AWD system aside which in a car of this class is only a gimmic as I have always looked at all the cars in this class as over grown coupe's and to associate the word SUV with any of these cars is a shame to the very word SUV.

And yes the X1 just had a facelift and it improves a lot in terms of materials etc.

BMW X1 Facelift Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
The q3 seems to be a great vehicle and is certainly destined to run all over the x1 sales. Is the BMW x1 due for a facelift/revamp?

anb,

Correct, even the 3.0TDI in FWD comes with Multitronic so it's Impossible India gets DSG unless they plan to have all models as Quattro which would be a welcome move as the whole FWD thing just puts me off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
I doubt this. Generally front wheel drive Audi comes with multitronic. Most AWDs come with DSG. New A6 2.0 TDI comes with multitronic while quattors(3.0 TDI and TFSI) come with DSG . Most probably A4 2.0TDI will come with 8 speed multitronic.

Regards,

Last edited by S350L-E240 : 1st May 2012 at 23:48.
Old 2nd May 2012, 08:24   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240

And the Business Edition of Q5 has been discontinued to make space for the Q3 so I truly expect the Q3 to be expensive and Audi position it as a life style alternative to the A4 rather then a model below it.

ricky_speed, You are correct, the Business Ed. Q5 is no more and was mostly done to spill beans over the X3 launch only. But the X3 Corp. Ed. is planned for a launch soon.

Regards,
Thanks for confirming the above. On general pricing strategy, I think BMW still trumps everyone on a sustained basis. Others may have short run corp edns to push models but generally speaking the best prices over a longer period come most from BMW methinks.

Here's a slightly alternate thought. If the Q5 pricing goes on the lines of what's indicated above, I think X1 CE sales at least for now should not be overly impacted. The interesting dynamic is that if they launch an X3 corp edn in very close strike range to the premium Q5 price, then it is possible that a lot of Q3 high end model potentials might prefer making the jump to the one segment and size higher BMW alternative. If I were in BMW's shoes that would be my twin counter strategy to the Q3. Improve / facelift X1 and boost pricing attack through corp edn X3. I'm sure BMW is thinking would also be thinking on similar lines - would be interesting to watch this space over the next few months.
Old 2nd May 2012, 19:05   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post

Dear Sir,

While the Q3 may be a great vehicle it is not going to run all over the sales of X1 as the car is going to be priced a little higher, and the X1 has few updates planned to counter Q3's launch.

Feature wise Variant to Variant the X1 is also quite loaded keeping the AWD system aside which in a car of this class is only a gimmic as I have always looked at all the cars in this class as over grown coupe's and to associate the word SUV with any of these cars is a shame to the very word SUV.

And yes the X1 just had a facelift and it improves a lot in terms of materials etc.

BMW X1 Facelift Gallery
Yes initially I dont think the Q3 will make much of an impact on the X1 sales. Once the FWD version is out, I feel it could be priced cheaper than the X1 which could make an impact in head to head sales.

The facelifted X1 seems to be a tiny garnish job, just on the bumpers.

I think I will go on to say that the Q3 is a better looking vehicle compared to the X1. I havent seen the former in the flesh so im 50:50 on the looks division right now.
Old 5th May 2012, 04:14   #73
Pal
BHPian

Quote:

LED tail-lamps go up with the tailgate. Luggage space is flexible. When required, the rear seat can be folded away to make for a flat cargo bay:
Oh no thats so wrong! Imagine, during an event of a flat tyre change, with the boot opened, there wont be any rear blinking hazard lights seen on this vehicle!! Now imagine this at night!! How could this get ARAI/ Homologation clearance considering our non-lit national highways?

I doubt if the rear hazard LED indicators are incorporated in the rear bumper. Also, rear fog lamps (red) can in NO WAY replace hazard lights.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 5th May 2012 at 16:33. Reason: fixing the quote
Pal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 16:28   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pal View Post

Oh no thats so wrong! Imagine, during an event of a flat tyre change, with the boot opened, there wont be any rear blinking hazard lights seen on this vehicle!! Now imagine this at night!! How could this get ARAI/ Homologation clearance considering our non-lit national highways?
Good point!

But in a dark unlit national highway, I guess those blinking tail lights on the tailgate would throw enough light skywards to be noticeable by everybody.
Old 5th May 2012, 22:05   #75
Pal
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I guess those blinking tail lights on the tailgate would throw enough light skywards to be noticeable by everybody.
The only 'everybody' that would spot such lights would be people looking down from the sky for a patch to land their choppers!

No sir, this seems like a big cause of concern regarding highway safety. Shoudlnt there be any regulations making it a mandatory feature?
Pal is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed