Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2012, 00:12   #136
BHPian

Re: 2012 Chevrolet Cruze : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Looks more like a alignment issue, Do get it checked tomorrow and update us the same.

BTW What was the buyback price and How much you paid for the new yoko's ?

And when we are expecting an ownership review and Pics. You must be enjoying 166 horses under the hood

Cheers,
Sameer
I hope it is just an alignment issue or else .....Will update n this issue tomorrow. Whatever happens, this issue sure killed the the day one thrill of a new car. I will post ,y review once I get this problem rectified permanenetly. Too stressed out cause of it

I got a buy back of 5000 per stock tyre. Replaced 4 tyres to Yokos (left the spare wheel to stock) and paid an additional 11k in total.
Old 20th September 2012, 10:01   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the car and welcome to the Cruze club

However, shocked to hear what you went through the first day of your ownership. Whatever the issue, it is just NOT right that you should be going through this issue on the first day itself.

Hopefully its just an alignment issue. First go back to the tyre dealer where you got the Yoko's and ask them to do a alignment and balance and then drive around a bit to confirm problem is solved

If its not solved then the problem begins as you have changed the stock tyres and didnt even stick to "stock specifications" so there is huge chance that dealer will put the issue back on you.

Whatever, the dealer should be given hell as they know you went back immediately after delivery and they themselves have swapped the tyre. If problem doesnt solve there, write to GM ( easy for me to say, I would never hope to see myself in this situation)

Hope to see your ownership thread soon on the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kch82 View Post
I'm just reading a few threads from users that have complained about their Cruze running either right or left immediately after delivery.
Can you share where your reading about these complaints?

Quote:
I got a buy back of 5000 per stock tyre. Replaced 4 tyres to Yokos (left the spare wheel to stock) and paid an additional 11k in total.
That's an awesome deal. Are you saying each Yoko tyre is just Rs.7750? Can you share which variant of Yoko's are these? Besides the tyre specifications dont seem to match up? Is it 215/55/R16? or 215/60/R16?

P.S: Drchernish, Congrats on your Cruze too. Look forward to your ownership thread soon as well

Last edited by mobike008 : 20th September 2012 at 10:03.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2012, 13:00   #138
BHPian

Quote:
I took the delivery of my Cruze AT today afternoon. BUT immediately after deleivery while driving out I realised that the car was running towards the left side. I took the car back to the service station and the mechanic swapped the from left tyre to the right and vice versa. He also adjusted the alignment a bit and then took for a TD. The car seemed to drive fine then and He told me that the problem was a minor alignment setting. Somehow I found that hard to be believe that a brand new car would have an alignment is...
My 2011 Cruze had the exact same issue.We tried sorting out the alignment and balancing,it only partially only rectified the problem.It took umpteen attempts by GM Engineers(GM not the service centre.They even replaced all the 4 tyres free of cost while diagnosing) to rectify the problem.Ultimately it was a suspension related issue.They rectified it under warranty.Suggest you take it up with GM management.They will get the issue resolved definitely!!
Old 20th September 2012, 16:38   #139
BHPian

@drchernish, Congratulations on your latest acquisition. You must be eager to get your hand on her. Happy rocketeering and drive safe. I look forward to your ownership thread.

Quote:
I took the delivery of my Cruze AT today afternoon. BUT immediately after deleivery while driving out I realised that the car was running towards the left side. I took the car back to the service station and the mechanic swapped the from left tyre to the right and vice versa. He also adjusted the alignment a bit and then took for a TD. The car seemed to drive fine then and He told me that the problem was a minor alignment setting. Somehow I found that hard to be believe that a brand new car would have an alignment issue. I told the mechanic that I was going to get the tyres replaced and he assured me that there will not be any problem with the replacement.

I went next and got the stock tyres replaces..... I hope this gets resolved or else hell will break loose on that dealership.
Congratulations to you buddy although I realize that you probably won't really feel like celebrating until you have that niggling problem resolved. Really unfortunate that something like that happened to you. I hope things get resolved satisfactorily and amicably and that in the end, you get to enjoy your beast the way you deserve to. Keep us posted on how things go. Looking forward to your ownership thread.
Old 20th September 2012, 21:40   #140
BHPian

Update on my car's issue-

After a heated argument with the Chevy Service people, they rechecked the allignment of my car using the fancy laser technology, thread measuring etc. Took the car for TD but the car continued to sway to the left. Redid the process but the same result. As expected the service people were quick to put the blame on my Yokos tyres highlighting that I had upgraded a size to 215/60 R16.

The main service in charge then suggested that the car be tested on the stock tyres. I was fine with it and accordingly JKs from another Cruze were put on my car. The mechanic took the car for a TD for quite a few minutes and on return told me and the service guy that the car was running fine on the JKs. I then TD it and a bit to my surprise the car did not much sway on the left on the stock tyres.

The car was also elevated on a lift to confirm to me that there was no under carriage damage to the car. The car's belly looked fine unless the fault lies beneath the protective shield a friend also suggested a possible arm damage n my car.

The service manager has now asked me to change the Yokos to the stock size - either back to the JKs or try Michellins as it was a possible replacement tyre fault. Disappointed, I took the car on way back home to a tyre allignment local guy who is known to have very good knowledge on allignments and recommended by many. He within a few seconds adjusted the setting of my right tyre, reduced the air pressue of the front tyres to 30 from 32 and took it for a TD. As per him there is nothing wrong with car (damage etc.) and the allignment required a few seconds of tweet. I TD the car but still found the car to sway on the left a bit (though not as much as before). My cousin (whom I consider quite knowledgable on cars) accompanied me and then himself TD the car and told me that the car was fine and that maybe I had a mental block. I hesitantly agreed and took the car back home. However again while driving back on a highway, I removed my hands from the wheel and the car immediately started swaying to the left to the extent that within a few seconds I shifted lanes because of the left sway.

I know plan to go to my car dealer tomorrow evening and get back my JKs as that is the only way left to check that whether the problem is in the car or the Yokos. I will loose money in this re-exchange but am left with no choice as on the Yokos the Chevy people will have a reason to shift the blame citing a change in the recommended tyre size.

My questions are -

1. Whether 1 size upgrade can cause the car to sway, despite 4 allignment settings ?
2. Is the tyre pressure set by the local guy at 30 fine for the Yokos 215/60 R16 ?
3. What if tomorrow the car runs fine on the JKs ( I doubt) ? Does it mean I am stuck with those tyres for the life of the car?
4. Realistic possibility of the Chevy Dervice Team admitting to the damage/manufacturing defect and to push for a replacement ?
5. Any other suggestions.

A member in the above posts also faced a similar problem with 2011 Cruze. This incident has just killed the thrill of a new car !!!!

Thanks for all your suppport.
Old 20th September 2012, 23:03   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My questions are - 1. Whether 1 size upgrade can cause the car to sway, despite 4 allignment settings ?
No.

Quote:
2. Is the tyre pressure set by the local guy at 30 fine for the Yokos 215/60 R16 ?
Tyre pressure is okay, But i don't think lowering the tyre pressure would solve it.
Quote:
3. What if tomorrow the car runs fine on the JKs ( I doubt) ? Does it mean I am stuck with those tyres for the life of the car?
I doubt this will happen, But if it does, Try Yoko's or Michelin in same stock size, So that in future service center guys won't blame you for changing the tyres.

Quote:
4. Realistic possibility of the Chevy Dervice Team admitting to the damage/manufacturing defect and to push for a replacement ?
If swapping back to jk's didn't work out, Do this only, After all it's your hard earned money, That you spent on the car.

Quote:
5. Any other suggestions.

A member in the above posts also faced a similar problem with 2011 Cruze. This incident has just killed the thrill of a new car !!!!

Thanks for all your suppport.
Just swap back them tomorrow back to JK's ( I doubt it will solve the issue ) and If it works, Change tyres to Michelin in stock size and If it doesn't take it back to dealer and ask him to rectify it right away, Or you won't be taking this back, Demand for a replacement straightaway.

I hope it all sorts out soon and You can enjoy your car

Good luck

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 21st September 2012, 00:53   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
My 2011 Cruze had the exact same issue.We tried sorting out the alignment and balancing,it only partially only rectified the problem.It took umpteen attempts by GM Engineers(GM not the service centre.They even replaced all the 4 tyres free of cost while diagnosing) to rectify the problem.Ultimately it was a suspension related issue.They rectified it under warranty.Suggest you take it up with GM management.They will get the issue resolved definitely!!
Could you please share more details on your car's problem. Also how did you escalate the issue ? Has your car given the same or related problem ever since ? I am really tensed and fearing a long battle with GM.
Old 21st September 2012, 12:50   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Could you please share more details on your car's problem. Also how did you escalate the issue ? Has your car given the same or related problem ever since ? I am really tensed and fearing a long battle with GM.

My car was pulling left right from the time of delivery.We initailly suspected it to be an alignment issue,and asked the service centre to rectify the same.The service centre was reluctant to acknowledge the problem initailly(they were very curteous though) but we insisted.They rectified(?) the alignment but the car was still pulling to the left,though the magnitude of the problem was reduced.We again got alignment and balancing done,this time from outside.The guys at the shop then claimed both alignment and balancing were totally off and corrected them.But the problem still persisted.So we lodged a complaint with GM hotline and we were informed that a senior person would handle our problem.That person instigated the GM of dealership to personally intervene.After multiple tries(2 or 3) and replacing all the 4 tyres suspecting them to be defect,they finally nailed the problem to the front suspension and replaced it entirely.Do note that all this while the liason between GM and dealership claimed all was well but the issue still persisted.We demonstrated the problem to them once and they acknowledged the problem.My car has been fine since then,though both the front tyres are almost worn out at 20k kms.But this is because I had failed to get alignemt sorted since the time the problem was rectified.Do note that we were very particular and we undertook multiple tests on the same road to finally be convinced.

Sir,I can assure you that GM Management is pretty good,though they are bit slow to dispatch parts.I have dealt with them twice since then for replacement of non essential parts under warranty and it has been a breeze.

All the best!!
Old 21st September 2012, 13:00   #144
BHPian

Quote:
My car was pulling left right from the time of delivery.We initailly suspected it to be an alignment issue,and asked the service centre to rectify the same.The service centre was reluctant to acknowledge the problem initailly(they were very curteous though) but we insisted.They rectified(?) the alignment but the car was still pulling to the left,though the magnitude of the problem was reduced.We again got alignment and balancing done,this time from outside.The guys at the shop then claimed both alignment and balancing were totally off and corrected them.But the problem still persisted.So we lodged a complaint with GM hotline and we were informed that a senior person would handle our problem.That person instigated the GM of dealership to personally intervene.After multiple tries(2 or 3) and replacing all the 4 tyres suspecting them to be defect,they finally nailed the problem to the front suspension and replaced it entirely.Do note that all this while the liason between GM and dealership claimed all was well but the issue still persisted.We demonstrated the problem to them once and they acknowledged the problem.My car has been fine since then,though both the front tyres are almost worn out at 20k kms.But this is because I had failed to get alignemt sorted since the time the problem was rectified.Do note that we were very particular and we undertook multiple tests on the same road to finally be convinced.

Sir,I can assure you that GM Management is pretty good,though they are bit slow to dispatch parts.I have dealt with them twice since then for replacement of non essential parts under warranty and it has been a breeze.

All the best!!
Thanks a lot for the information which is a bit comforting. First things first - I am getting the Yokos replaces to the original JKs to check whether that kills the problem. If not, I will be the workshop tomorrow morning and take it from there.

Did GM not agree for a care replacement as your car was also giving the problem from the very first day ? I am not comfortable with the idea of repair work and getting parts changed in a brand new car .
Old 21st September 2012, 13:26   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the information which is a bit comforting. First things first - I am getting the Yokos replaces to the original JKs to check whether that kills the problem. If not, I will be the workshop tomorrow morning and take it from there.

Did GM not agree for a care replacement as your car was also giving the problem from the very first day ? I am not comfortable with the idea of repair work and getting parts changed in a brand new car .

Most welcome!If by care replacement car,you mean a temporary replacement while the car was undergoing repairs,we did not ask for one.The car mostly went in the morning and came back in the evening(claiming to be rectified) each time.Note that it took them 2 or 3 tries to get it right,and the maximum duration the car was gone was for 2 days or so only.The last time the car went,they promised to send the car only when it is rectified!!(I think they promised a replacement if they failed to rectify,but I am not too sure,I didn't deal with them directly.I can verify this and get back later if required).
Old 21st September 2012, 13:53   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Most welcome!If by care replacement car,you mean a temporary replacement while the car was undergoing repairs,we did not ask for one.The car mostly went in the morning and came back in the evening(claiming to be rectified) each time.Note that it took them 2 or 3 tries to get it right,and the maximum duration the car was gone was for 2 days or so only.The last time the car went,they promised to send the car only when it is rectified!!(I think they promised a replacement if they failed to rectify,but I am not too sure,I didn't deal with them directly.I can verify this and get back later if required).
By replacement I meant replacement of the car to a different new piece, as a major part such a suspension was defective in a new car ? Thanks
Old 22nd September 2012, 00:32   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Could you please share the hotline details for GM. i lodged my complaint on gmi.cac@gm.com

Is there any number that I need to call on or any other email address ?

Needless to stay the car is still swaying to the left on the original JK tyres. Also the radio stopped functioning all of a sudden I wonderf whether I have been handed an accidented or damaged car by the dealer.

Going to the workshop again tomorrow morning to show the car on the JKs.
Old 22nd September 2012, 12:35   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Could you please share the hotline details for GM. i lodged my complaint on gmi.cac@gm.com

Is there any number that I need to call on or any other email address ?

Needless to stay the car is still swaying to the left on the original JK tyres. Also the radio stopped functioning all of a sudden I wonderf whether I have been handed an accidented or damaged car by the dealer.

Going to the workshop again tomorrow morning to show the car on the JKs.
I don't remember the number,it was a year ago.Check your owner's manual and the GM website,it must be mentioned somewhere there.The email ID is the right one.They will respond to you within 48 hours(automated mail).Even if you don't get a reply GM would have spoken to the workshop mostly.

At the service centre,you will find a board with the email ID's of top GM and service centre guys.If you can include them in CC.

Yours is the new model,highly unlikely they would have passed off an accidental piece.

Don't fret Sir all will be fine,best of luck
Old 23rd September 2012, 17:01   #149
BHPian

Finally some good news.

Reached the Dealership's workshop yesterday morning and told the Service Manager that the car was still swaying to the left on the JKs. Thankfully he stuck to his prior words and did not subject the car to any more alignments. I then barged into the showroom and told the manager that the car was definitely defective and I would return/leave it at the showroom now. The Sales team confirmed with the services and to cut a long story short, I was asked to change the car for a different one standing in the stock yard. They did not have the sand drift color in them and I asked me to wait for 10 days for the same. I was not keen on waiting anymore and decided to go for my initial second choice - Atlantic Blue, which also happened to be the color which my wife always wanted. However I noticed the right tail light of thi one to be slightly out of place, leaving a comparatively bigger gap from the body. I questioned the Showroom people and they assured me of getting it re adjusted properly if I chose to buy this piece. I checked the piece thoroughly and it did not show any signs of damage or anything thing else suspicious. Once bitten twice shy

I TD the car a number of times and still found the car to sway a little to the left whenever I left my hands of the wheel. I thought I was losing my head . I then decided to try my other car - City on the same road and thankfully found it also to sway to the left when lifting my hands of the wheels. Still not satisfied I went back to the showroom and TD another Cruze - with similar results. Called up two friends who had the earlier Cruze and they too confirmed that their cars to swayed to the left on removing hands of the wheel. I then happened to meet the owner of the dealership who much to my surprise turned out to be a very practical and logical man. He told me that his aim was to satisfy the customer and offered me to choose any car from the stock yard and TD it till I was fuly satisfied. I then tried yet another Cruze but this time in manual transmission- same drive - same results. By the ways the new Cruze in manual is also so sweet and drastically improved from the earlier ones.

Finally I decided to take delivery of the Atlantic Blue and just forget about everything and enjoy the drive. I still feel that this Cruze drives better then the Grey one or may be it' just a mind block. But I definitely felt the steering of the earlier Grey Cruze always titling to the left.

Another thing that I would like to mention is that while TD the Atlantic Blue Cruze there was this constant 'ticking' sound from somewhere under hood whenever I accelerated the car. The mechanics however fixed it and told me that it was some pipes which were interfering with the speedometer and needed a minot adjustment. Haven't heard that sound again, till now at least.

As for the tyres, the owner told me that I can replace the tyres if I wish to, but recommended me to stick to the same size. He also suggested me against Michelin's as many Cruze customers of his who had used Michelin complained about the tyres being too soft for India roads and thus getting damaged. As per him and the Service manager Bridgestone was a good replacement choice. I am thinking now whether to drive on JKs for a year and then shift to Bridgestone ? Also the dealership highly recommended the new Caska units and were willing to give me a full demo on my car. Any suggestions ?

I think I did a very wise thing of emailing the dealership on day one when the problem arose to halt my registration process and then following it up with a complaint on the GM hotmail. Thanks for the suggestions KINi

Bottom line I have the Blue Cruze with me and am thoroughly enjoying the drive.

What a car !!!!!

Last edited by mobike008 : 24th September 2012 at 12:47. Reason: ONLY 2 smiley per post please.....
kch82 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2012, 18:01   #150
BHPian

You are most welcome,and I am pleasantly surprised that you were given a new car.Maybe because your car wasn't registered.

Anyway,all that matters is the issue was resolved.

CPC2 is highly recommended for Cruze,suggest you stick to stock size.Even with stock tyres my car has scraped a dozen times.

Mine is a Sand-drift Grey Cruze too.Despite our car being registered GM agreed to replace the car if they couldn't resolve the issue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks