Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2012, 10:50   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2012 Chevrolet Cruze : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kch82 View Post
Thanks. Have you faced the problem of your left knee every now and then rubbing against the AC blower knob on the centre console and increasing or decreasing the settings
I am 6ft. 1inch tall and i never faced that problem in the Cruze.

It's a matter of how you adjust your seat for a comfortable position.

In the past used to drive an Accent Viva CRDi before and I had to get down after every 150kms as my right knee used to pain due to pedal positions. But, in Cruze I can drive continously for 500km-600kms without a break.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 11:55   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Have you faced the problem of your left knee every now and then rubbing against the AC blower knob on the centre console and increasing or decreasing the settings. When I drove it last, this seemed to worry me a lot as such sudden change of blower speed can be distracting. I have a habit of driving automatics with my left knee slightly folded- enough to turn the knob.
Actually I do on my LT and like you, I also have a slightly 'knees out' posture However, I only face it on weekends (wearing jeans) when the rougher denim material nudges the fan speed knob and the AC suddenly comes on etc.

This is a common grouse with the Cruze and enterprising souls even sell special cushion pads for it:

http://www.amazon.com/2011-Chevrolet.../dp/B006RJUA1M
Old 12th September 2012, 13:53   #93
BHPian

Thank you friends. I drove the 2012 AT again a few minutes back and the drive was sweet enough for me to move forward towards the purchase. Though I do not think I will get tyres replaced immediately as my budget will not allow an addition of 25-30k. Guess will do with the stock tyres for a year atleast. Honestly I am more interested in the getting the Caska entertainment system - I am a gadget freak !!! And I need the bluetooth phone connectivity. Any suggestion on picking up an entertainment system from US, but the navigation should work in India ?

As for the color I have to make up mind between the blue and grey. In all probability it will be the grey as I have seen a few Cruze s in blue that start looking very worn out in a few months.

Thanks for the cushion pad link - itwasntme. In case the seat adjustment does not work me, I will order of those for the driver side.

Time not get the finances in places...will keep you all posted and thanks for the support and encouragement.
Old 12th September 2012, 17:42   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any suggestion on picking up an entertainment system from US, but the navigation should work in India ?
If you travel to US often and planning a standalone GPS system you can get the TomTom device. They launched recently in India and are pretty decent but, not as comprehensive as MMI with regards to data.

I was their beta tester for almost 2 years
Old 12th September 2012, 23:58   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
If you travel to US often and planning a standalone GPS system you can get the TomTom device. They launched recently in India and are pretty decent but, not as comprehensive as MMI with regards to data.

I was their beta tester for almost 2 years
Thanks mobike008. But in case of navigation I think I will stick to MMI. Is there any navigation system that has Bluetooth connectivity for phones ?

I will in all probability be going to the showroom this weekend to show my wife the blue and grey color and let her have the choice. I should be ready for the paperwork by sometime next week.

Though my wife is asking me to consider the Elantra diesel AT as it offers way more luxury and entertainment features and safety features at around the same price. I have tried to explain her that somehow Elantra just feels too light to me and does not awaken that feeling in me which the Cruze does. BTW how important is the ESP froma safety perspective. The Elantra offers this feature and the Cruze does not. hope the braking of the Cruze provide ample safety and performance as all these new cars are advertising to boast about the new fancy and secure braking systems in place.

Also I was given to inform today that the Cruze does not have heated side mirrors, which I think can be extremely useful during rainy seasons when the the side mirrors develop vapour and moisture.

Will keep you all posted on the developments in the next few days.
Old 13th September 2012, 02:08   #96
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Actually I do on my LT and like you, I also have a slightly 'knees out' posture However, I only face it on weekends (wearing jeans) when the rougher denim material nudges the fan speed knob and the AC suddenly comes on etc.

This is a common grouse with the Cruze and enterprising souls even sell special cushion pads for it:

http://www.amazon.com/2011-Chevrolet.../dp/B006RJUA1M
I've been driving a Cruze here in the US and have noticed the same problem. I'm 6 foot tall and have the seats set low and slid almost all the way back. I keep ending up changing the temp knob by a few notches and more than once my co passenger has increased the fan speed or turned it off without realising. Luckily the display screen on top shows any changes made to the AC.
Old 13th September 2012, 10:30   #97
BHPian

My dealer if offering my a free Teflon and Anti Rust treatment on the Cruze. I was reading a few post on Teflon and Anti Rust and many of them suggested that these are not effective and more of a marketing gimmick in India. Also I remember reading somewhere that at times this can also lead to damaging the factory paint job ?

Should I go in for these coats or try and persuade the dealer to give me something else in return or a possible cash discount (I doubt). I am already getting the mud flaps and foot mats, so there really is not any accessory left that the dealer will be willing to provide me free of cost. May be a car cover or a boot mat ?
Old 13th September 2012, 10:53   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

According to me both Anti-rust and Teflon are mandatory and there is certainly a difference to be found after its application.

Anti rust is more useful for people living on the coastal belt.

I have got 2 coats of teflon done over a period of 1 year and the difference is pretty evident.

And, dealers dont give you a cash discount instead of above.
Old 13th September 2012, 10:58   #99
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My dealer if offering my a free Teflon and Anti Rust treatment on the Cruze. I was reading a few post on Teflon and Anti Rust and many of them suggested that these are not effective and more of a marketing gimmick in India. Also I remember reading somewhere that at times this can also lead to damaging the factory paint job ?
Quote:
According to me both Anti-rust and Teflon are mandatory and there is certainly a difference to be found after its application.

Anti rust is more useful for people living on the coastal belt.

I have got 2 coats of teflon done over a period of 1 year and the difference is pretty evident.
Sorry but Teflon coating is a sheer waste of money and mainly a scam to make money by the dealers.

What is the difference you noticed after the teflon coat? The entire paint surface of a car can change drastically with a simple clay and wax coat. This does not equal Teflon.

Pls. refer to the following threads to know that actual teflon coat is not even available easily.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...-new-cars.html (Teflon Coating - Harmful on new cars?)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ally-help.html (What is Teflon Coating and does it really help?)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...g-fool-wt.html (Teflon Coating-dupont, Making Fool Or Wt?)

Last edited by Vid6639 : 13th September 2012 at 10:59.
Old 13th September 2012, 11:05   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Sorry but Teflon coating is a sheer waste of money and mainly a scam to make money by the dealers.l (Teflon Coating-dupont, Making Fool Or Wt?)
Yeah, I have gone through those threads but, I'll stick to my opinion.

My car has a sheen which i dont see in other cruzes on the road and I am not saying its purely due to teflon coat but, there is definetly a difference as small stone chips just bounce off the sheen and dont make a dent.

I personally had experienced this while driving on gravelly highway lot of small pebbles fly off the road and hit the sideboard of the car. Simple water wash and its as good as new while my i10 which was not teflon coated had left with small marks/negligible dents.

Another example is my Viva CRDI which too had undergone 2 teflon coats ( just take a look at my profile picture and let me know if you have seen another red viva crdi with that kind of gleam)

Anyway, if its FREE. I would still recommend it to get it done. And, I have NEVER paid for teflon coat ever in my life as i always negotiate it for FREE

Last edited by mobike008 : 13th September 2012 at 11:08.
Old 13th September 2012, 11:20   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, I have gone through those threads but, I'll stick to my opinion.

My car has a sheen which i dont see in other cruzes on the road and I am not saying its purely due to teflon coat but, there is definetly a difference as small stone chips just bounce off the sheen and dont make a dent.

I personally had experienced this while driving on gravelly highway lot of small pebbles fly off the road and hit the sideboard of the car. Simple water wash and its as good as new while my i10 which was not teflon coated had left with small marks/negligible dents.

Another example is my Viva CRDI which too had undergone 2 teflon coats ( just take a look at my profile picture and let me know if you have seen another red viva crdi with that kind of gleam)

Anyway, if its FREE. I would still recommend it to get it done. And, I have NEVER paid for teflon coat ever in my life as i always negotiate it for FREE
I think the gravel incident is enough for me to get the teflon done. In Gurgaon there is gravel flying everywhere therefore I do not see a harm in getting the coating done, since I in any case will not be paying for it. My honda city got a scratch on the bonnet by a flying gravel erroding the paint and today morning I noticed the rust on it

However will I need to get the a re-coat of the teflon after a few months (which I am sure the dealer/service centre will not pay for) ? Also does it require any special care to mantain the teflon for longer ?

Thanks.
Old 13th September 2012, 11:36   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
However will I need to get the a re-coat of the teflon after a few months (which I am sure the dealer/service centre will not pay for) ? Also does it require any special care to mantain the teflon for longer ?
I got it done (personal supervision) while i took delivery and used the 2nd free coupon at 15,000kms (again personal supervision). I make the guy reach out to corners that are unreachable

Btw, My Cruze has never undergone a wax or external treatment till date. And, it still shines on like a crazy diamond
Old 13th September 2012, 16:00   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Had a query but unfortunately don't have a iPod to test it out myself:

Is the Cruze ICE iPod-ready? If we simply insert an USB cord from an iPod will it show the iPod controls on the in-dash screen? Chances are it's not else we would have known about the feature.

I have always used the AUX-IN feature from my iPod but never thought of the USB option. Came across another thread here on TBHP (can't recollect the car), where you need to buy a special dual USB+AUX-IN cord for the iPod to be recognized.

Check out this US Cruze:

Last edited by itwasntme : 13th September 2012 at 16:03. Reason: Addition
Old 13th September 2012, 20:12   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme
Had a query but unfortunately don't have a iPod to test it out myself:

Is the Cruze ICE iPod-ready? If we simply insert an USB cord from an iPod will it show the iPod controls on the in-dash screen? Chances are it's not else we would have known about the feature.

I have always used the AUX-IN feature from my iPod but never thought of the USB option. Came across another thread here on TBHP (can't recollect the car), where you need to buy a special dual USB+AUX-IN cord for the iPod to be recognized.
It actually is. When you plug your iPod into the USB port the screen turns into your iPod screen and you have complete control over artists, albums, playlists and all the other functions you see in your iPod menu via the audio and menu controls on the dash.

Last edited by mobike008 : 14th September 2012 at 10:37. Reason: DO NOT quote large text, videos or pictures. Next time will attract infraction
Old 13th September 2012, 21:31   #105
BHPian

I am thinking of replacing the inbuilt entertainment system of the Cruze with a more advanced system which can offer features such as phone Bluetooth connectivity (that works well), parking assist and video. The options suggested by members on this forum are Caska and Mega Audio being offered by Chevrolet dealers. The link below details the reviews of Mega Audio installed by one of the members from the Chevrolet dealer in Faridabad:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...ega-audio.html

I did try to get in toUch with this member - "lawyer" but have been unable to do so till now. However my prospective dealer has suggested that I get Caska installed as it is much better than Mege Audio. As per my research there are a few reviews that state Caska to be an inferior system and that the DVD player of the same rests separately on top on the dash.

I really have not read much and recent reviews of either Caska and Mega, but they seem to be only systems available that fit perfectly in the space provided and does not require any wire cuttings and thus not voiding the warranty (as mentioned by the Chevy dealer).

My dealer has quoted a price of 45k for the Caska and per Lawyer's post the Mega cost him 37k. Can anyone throw some light on the best ICE which has the required features and fits in the original panel. also the original display features such as temp, tyre pressure etc. and steering mounted controls should work in the same manner as original.

On a separate note, to connect your phone via Bluetooth to the car's system, is it necessary that the car be stationed ? Of course once connected you use your phone in motion. This is what I heard some one say. It makes no sense if every time I need to connect my phone, I need to station my car first-connect and then drive.

Thanks.

Just when I am on the verge of booking the Cruze, I see this post on Team BHp

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...ml#post2897490

I knew Cruze around Diwali !!! Many will remember that I had posted a thread a few days back of the upgraded cruze being launched by this year end. The post from BoeingDriver in the above link seems to say the same.

My source in Chevy had informed me 3 days back that the upgraded Cruze would be launched by earliest next year...but it seems the launch can be earlier. Can some share more certain information on this.

I am on the verge of breaking my head I would hate it if I were to buy a model and a newer model would arrive in the next 2 months !!!

Help

Last edited by mobike008 : 14th September 2012 at 10:36. Reason: Back to back posts. Read the rules before proceeding further.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks