BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
I test drove the Storme yesterday and found the following irritating:
(a) Prominent nose-dive on sudden braking even at 10kph
(b) A slight correction @40kph made the vehicle and me nervous
(c) The ride was bumpy and this may be due to the tyre pressure
(d) When releasing the clutch, my size 9 shoe, constantly hit a part of the panel extending from dash (shown in the pic, pic courtesy: our official review).
Attachment 1053851

I loved the vehicle otherwise, but all the above wanna make me stick to the Duster I had booked already.
Thanks Rocky for writing about STORME since yours is the post after a long while where many have been discussing about the state of affairs like Airbags and ABS

Its interesting that you found only the irritants !
Still, you voiced your opinion, fair enough.

MODS, please see if you can remove those unrelated post and reduce a page or 2 from this thread.

Prem.
Old 20th February 2013, 22:17   #632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Thanks Rocky for writing about STORME since yours is the post after a long while where many have been discussing about the state of affairs like Airbags and ABS

Its interesting that you found only the irritants !
Still, you voiced your opinion, fair enough.

Prem.
Thanks Prem. I have never extensively driven the Safari/ Scorpio, to better appreciate and/ or compare Storme .

That said, I would have cancelled the Duster booking had my experience been a little better with the Test Drive vehicle. I havent given up though, a couple of more test drives would make me feel better.
Old 20th February 2013, 22:33   #633
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
(d) When releasing the clutch, my size 9 shoe, constantly hit a part of the panel extending from dash (shown in the pic, pic courtesy: our official review)...
I have a doubt whether I had a similar issue on Storme. None of my friends reported it though. But this was an issue that was very very prominent on the Safari Dicor. I used to be scared whether my shoe lace was getting stuck! My shoe size is 9 too (Woodlands), could it be because of the sole width or so?!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 20th February 2013 at 22:35.
Old 21st February 2013, 00:29   #634
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I test drove the Storme yesterday and found the following irritating:
(a) Prominent nose-dive on sudden braking even at 10kph
(b) A slight correction @40kph made the vehicle and me nervous
(c) The ride was bumpy and this may be due to the tyre pressure
(d) When releasing the clutch, my size 9 shoe, constantly hit a part of the panel extending from dash (shown in the pic, pic courtesy: our official review).

I loved the vehicle otherwise, but all the above wanna make me stick to the Duster I had booked already.
I had the exact same issue but thought it was me not used to the car. In fact I took a pic of where my shoe was hitting during the review with tanveer. He said he didn't have any issues and his shoe size was larger.

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-forumrunner_20130221_002919.jpg

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-forumrunner_20130221_002937.jpg

Last edited by Vid6639 : 21st February 2013 at 00:36.
Old 21st February 2013, 07:27   #635
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
(d) When releasing the clutch, my size 9 shoe, constantly hit a part of the panel extending from dash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I had the exact same issue but thought it was me not used to the car.
..the review with tanveer. He said he didn't have any issues and his shoe size was larger.
I have TDed the Storme, but never noticed this. My TD was quite event-lessly smooth, except for the seat. And this was inspite of it being my first drive in a Storme / Safari.

Regarding your experiences, are you guys keeping you left foot at a cross /angle & not straight ? What you say may be happening when the left foot is positioned pointing leftward (outward).
Old 21st February 2013, 09:04   #636
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

I have TDed the Storme, but never noticed this. My TD was quite event-lessly smooth, except for the seat. And this was inspite of it being my first drive in a Storme / Safari.

Regarding your experiences, are you guys keeping you left foot at a cross /angle & not straight ? What you say may be happening when the left foot is positioned pointing leftward (outward).
Basically the front left side of my shoe was getting stuck while releasing the clutch. It wasn't at an angle.
Old 21st February 2013, 09:27   #637
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It wasn't at an angle.
If already (perfectly) straight, then move the left foot 1 inch to the right
Old 21st February 2013, 09:33   #638
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If already (perfectly) straight, then move the left foot 1 inch to the right
lol. That's why I didn't emphasize on that earlier because I thought it was just me and I need to get used to shifting my leg to the right. Now that someone also experienced it means there is a small ergonomic design issue. When you have to try and concentrate while driving on where to keep your foot it gets irritating. I had to keep adjusting my foot position every time i released and in traffic it got even more frustrating.

All they had to do was remove that protrusion!!
Old 21st February 2013, 09:36   #639
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
.. I thought it was just me and I need to get used to shifting my leg to the right. Now that someone also experienced it means there is a small ergonomic design issue. !
To declare it as a design issue, I'm afraid that the numbers are not in your favour !
Old 21st February 2013, 12:19   #640
BHPian

I have experienced the same issue of shoe getting stuck at the protrusion when I test drove the Storme. One has to be very conscious where one keeps the foot when driving it as in my normal driving style it used to get stuck quite often which was irritating.
Old 21st February 2013, 12:52   #641
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
To declare it as a design issue, I'm afraid that the numbers are not in your favour !
What you said is true from "numbers" perspective and sadly that holds good in today's world! But when I personally never had ANY issues of this sort with every other vehicle I have driven (in 1L-20L bracket) and the issue is ONLY with the Safari (Dicor & Storme), then there is a problem with the design isn't it (irrespective of the numbers)?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 21st February 2013 at 12:53.
Old 21st February 2013, 13:53   #642
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
.. the issue is ONLY with the Safari (Dicor & Storme), then there is a problem with the design isn't it (irrespective of the numbers)?
Every vehicle has it's design aspects. Just because 2 people found something coming in the way, it does not mean that the hunderds of others who didnt find a problem are wrong. And what I say here is not limited to the Safari / Storme.

The point is - you found something there, you found it. If a sufficient majority reported the same, then it is a design issue.

Like they say, one Swallow doesnt maketh a summer.
Old 21st February 2013, 14:04   #643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
What you said is true from "numbers" perspective and sadly that holds good in today's world! But when I personally never had ANY issues of this sort with every other vehicle I have driven (in 1L-20L bracket) and the issue is ONLY with the Safari (Dicor & Storme), then there is a problem with the design isn't it (irrespective of the numbers)?
Even i had the same issue when checking out the Storme. Unfortunately i had both the ergonomic issue(s) of the Steering touching the thighs during normal sitting position and had the left leg knocking against something in the Dash.

I checked this in the Vx but the model i was interested in was the Lx model since i cannot stand Scopio's bouncy ride and cannot afford XUV W8 due to my home loans.

I tend to believe that this happens for people with long legs when compared to the upper body since my Dad did not face this issue. B/W i am 6 feet and my Dad is 5.6 feet. Also i did not like the front seats very much and it seems to have lesser thigh support than my Indica (my personal opinion) which was very weird since the car looks and feels huge, very huge.

Did not take extended TD since these ergonomic issues are a deal breaker and having a long distance tourer with ergonomic issues for the driver is a no go, at-least for me.

On the numbers , i am not sure what numbers we are taking about there since the decade old Scorpio still outsells the Storme and we need not even go into XUV numbers. Once the initial honeymoon period is over the Strome would probably drop to the old status-quo Safari numbers.

I hope that Tata reworks the ergonomics at-least at the earliest.

Edit: After reading the above posts on angle , it should have been the angle of my left Foot placement. I think i used the same crossed angle which i keep in my Indica. Still i am surprised that it did occur in Tata ergonomics person that not everyone would keep their feet straight when pressing the clutch like in attention position or something like that.

Last edited by Aceman82 : 21st February 2013 at 14:21. Reason: Corrected some typos and added more data
Aceman82 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2013, 14:10   #644
Senior - BHPian

This is news to me, never faced this issue neither in my Safari nor the Storme.
btw my shoes size is 10.

Quote:
Old 21st February 2013, 14:43   #645
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...Just because 2 people found something coming in the way, it does not mean that the hunderds of others who didnt find a problem are wrong. And what I say here is not limited to the Safari / Storme.

The point is - you found something there, you found it. If a sufficient majority reported the same, then it is a design issue...
Looks like the number is growing beyond 2! And lets NOT forget the issue of the steering rubbing on tall guys' thighs as well, though it falls into another bucket. All in all it proves, Storme does have some issues in the design.

Since there are a bunch of people reporting the issues, lets say the design is NOT the best / optimized. And I re-iterate; when other cars in the 1L-20L can do a better design, Storme should have fit in there as well! TATA can't wash off their hands saying "we didn't design this car for tall drivers"! We are NOT talking about luxurious features here, a very simple ergonomic failure; though limited to a set of people with certain physical attributes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman82 View Post
Even i had the same issue when checking out the Storme. Unfortunately i had both the ergonomic issue(s) of the Steering touching the thighs during normal sitting position and had the left leg knocking against something in the Dash....
What you wrote is SPOT ON with my experience during the TDs.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 21st February 2013 at 14:46.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks