Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2012, 03:06   #121
Pal
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Awesome attention to detail! Rated 5 stars!

It also reminds me of my 1st post (ever) for the Storme sneak preview -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2520509

I would love to do a comprehensive city/ highway comparo of XUV 500 v/s Renault Duster v/s Safari Storme. Is it on the cards for the New Year?
Pal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2012, 09:43   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityasiera View Post
I had a chat with the manager of Bharat motors (Dealers in bhubaneswar). More if not most young, impatient guys (read that as within the age bracket of 25-45) have enquired about a LX 4x4. Tata if you are reading... This is the zillionth request/suggestion/crib. Launch a barebones 4x4 on Strome please.
Dear Adityasiera - yes, Tata Motors is reading and we are listening. I have already taken up many times for you guys. I also have a small vested interest. I want the same vehicle for myself also. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 5th December 2012, 10:22   #123
BHPian

In the 4X4 test drive picture, I can see that the right exhaust tailpipe is missing. Is it by design? Also, I see the rear-lower plastic cladding cracked in one of the pictures. Did it happen during the course of the test drive?
Old 5th December 2012, 10:32   #124
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Adityasiera - yes, Tata Motors is reading and we are listening. I have already taken up many times for you guys. I also have a small vested interest. I want the same vehicle for myself also. .
Counting on you Mr Behram! Btw, heard some vague details about your project from the TML guys. Looking forward to hearing you speak/write about it soon
Old 5th December 2012, 11:21   #125
Senior - BHPian

Dhabhar sir - was wondering why there has been no response from your side. Good to known that TML is reading. Hope TML has taken cognisance of the quality niggles highlighted in this comprehensive review. It is a great assurance that someone in the know is there on the other side also!!
Old 5th December 2012, 11:22   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
In the 4X4 test drive picture, I can see that the right exhaust tailpipe is missing. Is it by design? Also, I see the rear-lower plastic cladding cracked in one of the pictures. Did it happen during the course of the test drive?
Hi Andy,

Its already mentioned in the review by Tanveer that the chrome tip came off during one of the Off road exercises (in the controlled environment that is).

Regards
Bugs.
Old 5th December 2012, 11:34   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder_s1 View Post
If I would go for Strome, I would've liked it to look like the pic I edited. I know it is Lexus kind of styling but it looks way better than the bland layout
Looks impressive Inder. Hope there can be a design change to the rear of the Storme. Otherwise, the current design is rather boring in comparison to a very contemporary frontal look of the beast.

Drive Safe,
Andy
Old 5th December 2012, 11:38   #128
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
If Tata motors is listening, please ask them to put a small plastic plate under the transfer case so that 4x4 does not start malfunctioning every time we splash through an inch of water.

Speaking of 4x4. The cost is driven up due to the following
1. Alloy wheels
2. Transfer case
3. LSD

A bare bones LX 4x4 will go 1.20 above the LX 4x2 with all these additions, which is too high.
I suggest, that bare bones LX 4x4 be launched without body colored bumpers and cladding (20,000 cost saving)
So at 1.0L above LX 4x2, it will be <11 L ex showroom, which makes it a value proposition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhagathmp View Post
Hi Andy,

Its already mentioned in the review by Tanveer that the chrome tip came off during one of the Off road exercises (in the controlled environment that is).

Regards
Bugs.
Yes, it had broken. If you look closely, you will see bumper cracked at one point. This is very expected. When I was doing the articulation challenge, I also hit the bumper at one point.
And this is true for all SUVs. Plastic cosmetic bits will get hits and dings and eventually break.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 5th December 2012 at 11:48.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2012, 12:21   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Sir, one more request to look at. PLEASE get the marketing team to tweak the price of Storme LX so that its less than 10L ex showroom for the whole of India. As mentioned by TSK, just for a rupee beyond 10L, people in Bangalore (and some other states too, where the tax slab is different for 10L+ ex showroom price) will have pay 20,000/- + in terms of taxes. Mind you, these unlucky souls in Bangalore also pay the highest tax in the country making the ownership experience even tougher. And same request for Aria Pure LX as well (probably a 5000/- cut on the pricing should do it.)

EDIT: Please look at the below conversation to get a clearer picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhkris
... Have a coupla questions:
Any inputs on when we can expect the Storme in Bangalore and if the Lx will be under the 10L mark?..
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
...Price will be around 1 re above the 10L mark so that you pay the higher tax bracket . As you know, this is what companies do. They do not have any idea about the impact that one rupee can cause to the on road price...

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 5th December 2012 at 12:27.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2012, 12:41   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If Tata motors is listening, please ask them to put a small plastic plate under the transfer case so that 4x4 does not start malfunctioning every time we splash through an inch of water.

Speaking of 4x4. The cost is driven up due to the following
1. Alloy wheels
2. Transfer case
3. LSD

A bare bones LX 4x4 will go 1.20 above the LX 4x2 with all these additions, which is too high.

I suggest, that bare bones LX 4x4 be launched without body colored bumpers and cladding (20,000 cost saving)
So at 1.0L above LX 4x2, it will be <11 L ex showroom, which makes it a value proposition.

+1 To Tanveers request.

If I am going to put my money down, I would love a highway competent vehicle which can be taken off the beaten track. So far the Storme fits all the requirements, but for the price of the 4x4 which comes only in the VX Trim.

I can live without a lot of the cosmetic things such as body color bumpers etc, hell - i will also put in my own music system - because If I am going trail driving- I will need a GPS and an additional set of lights.

So Tata - you've listened once and have included the ABS in all versions- please bring in a basic LX 4x4 trim at an ex-showroom of 10L.
Old 5th December 2012, 16:41   #131
Senior - BHPian

Great review TSK!

I will miss this too

Quote:
An existing Safari owner who held onto these while cleaning the roof wasn't too happy with the change
1) Aria too have the same disc brake setup (DiH)?
2) Do they still use 2 types of fuse?
3) The alloys are 6.5J?

And hope they bring in the 0% loan offer like that had for Aria
Old 5th December 2012, 17:06   #132
BHPian

The first time I saw the Safari Storme at the Auto Expo, I was disappointed. But now as I am reading the reviews and going through the pictures I have started liking it. I guess Tata has done well to improve on the earlier Safari and the Storme will definitely do well in the market.
Old 5th December 2012, 17:21   #133
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Great review TSK!

I will miss this too

1) Aria too have the same disc brake setup (DiH)?
Well download the owners manual and see

Quote:
2) Do they still use 2 types of fuse?
you mean small and big, it seems so from the fuse box. Infact, there are 3 types. Look at the big transparent rectangular ones. That yellow thing is a plastic grab tool to pull out fuses. Great move I must say.
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-ipdrhnqjl.jpg

Quote:
3) The alloys are 6.5J?
Yes
But you can easily fit in Aria 235/65 R17 rims and tires to this vehicle. I have seen an older safari with same setup with no issues(since outer dia is similar)

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-imqwkc7rl.jpg
Quote:
And hope they bring in the 0% loan offer like that had for Aria
They are selling 1000+ a month, unlike Aria which crashed to two digit numbers. So I doubt you will get many discounts.
Old 5th December 2012, 17:38   #134
BHPian

Fantastic review!

Waiting for a Bangalore launch and I guess the wait would continue as the showroom guy I inquired from, had no clue. Waiting for the Lx version to be priced under 10lacs, that would save me some money in taxes

I was hoping that Tata would provide 4x4 in the base version, at least on order. I can let go off many things for 4x4, like:
  • Roof mounted AC
  • Power windows. Heck, I can use my hand to roll them up! Really don't care about it.
  • Wood finish and the likes.
  • Music system. I can get one outside, and probably a better one.
  • Electrically fold-able mirrors.

And much more. I can add accessories in market but not 4x4. Tata please listen. There is a substantial market out there I guess. You would suck the life out of Thar, may be :P
Old 5th December 2012, 18:55   #135
BHPian

Yet to see a Storme on the road in Delhi. Wondering if this is because of everyone being skeptical of the first batch.
Has anyone else seen a Storme anywhere except for the TD vehicles which also seem to be parked always outside the showroom.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks