Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2013, 09:07   #931
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironager View Post
I recently checked the fuel lid of my car. On the fuel flap its written 95 RON SUPER PREMIUM. I have been using 97 octane for the past month and do not use the normal 88 ron unleaded. When i spoke to the VW service advisor about this he said that the car would run fine on 88 ron unleaded but i have my doubts due to the marking sticker in the car.

With 97 Octane the car runs smoother, has better fuel economy and theoretically a higher top speed.

Are any other Gt owners using Speed 97 or Regular unleaded.

Although im no expert on this subject but by using lower octane fuel on a car with a higher octane requirement would damage the engine in the long run.
The Laura TSI works fine on 91 Octane petrol. Even the manual and the fuel lid prescribes the same. THe manual says 95 octane petrol is best suited, in the absence of which 91 octane can be used.

All petrol available in India is now 91 octane barring of course speed97 which is 97 octane.

Here's a pic of the Laura's fuel lid taken from the VRS official review. It says 95/91 RON.

TSI motors are not very high compression engines. Hence you can safely use 91 octane.
Santoshbhat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2013, 10:46   #932
Senior - BHPian

Cannot comment on the roads but can definitely comment on the Rajdhani. Till 2011 their top speed was restricted to 130Kmph , this was later increased to 145 and then there was going to be an introduction of a 200kmph Rajdhani between Delhi and Mumbai - not sure where that is.

One does not need a TSI ,unfortunately, to outrun the Rajdhani.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Not taking away the credit from the TSi but the gaadi.com team says that they maintained speeds of 120-130kmph on the highway. Any car starting from the premium hatchback's in our market can beat the train then. Even diesel hatchbacks can easily win this race. What is it then? The roads have gotten better or is the Rajdhani not really that fast?
puchoo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2013, 11:36   #933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortShifter View Post
Anyone from Hyderabad here going for it ?
Booked the gt in black on june 10th ,awaiting delivery ( was promised june end which now has moved to july 10)

You can ask the dealer to waive off the 'incidental charges'

Get the insurance from a different vendor rather than going with what the dealer suggests(will save some $ there too)

With regards to the extended warranty dealer states they dont have direction from vw that it covers the dsg box too (though he was confident the gearbox will never go wrong)

I might go for the tyre upgrade (185/65/15 michelin's rather than the stock 185/60/15 apollo accelere ) ashoka wheels in minister road says he will buy back the apollo's for 2500 a piece)
Rajesh Rawal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2013, 13:12   #934
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
...he said that the car would run fine on 88 ron unleaded but i have my doubts due to the marking sticker in the car.
Yeah I'd have my doubts about that too!

Quote:
...Although im no expert on this subject but by using lower octane fuel on a car with a higher octane requirement would damage the engine in the long run.
Here's a very interesting thread which will answer some questions, as well as add a few more doubts :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...an-petrol.html

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2013, 11:07   #935
Distinguished - BHPian

2014 Polo;

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-14234291611315168856.jpg

Seems the 2014 Polo is going to engine downsize further to a 1L 3 Cyl TSI motor having outputs in the range of 60-90 hp.

^ This is the same engine which currently powers the VW Up

Source: http://www.worldcarfans.com/11306285...-petrol-engine
Old 30th June 2013, 16:30   #936
BHPian

I have got to know from reliable sources that each showroom of each dealership in Mumbai has approximately 25 TSI bookings. Number of cars each of them will receive for July is approximately 10 each. Considering that, the wait period seems to be 6 to 8 weeks. Also, the current production at Chakan's Polo assembly line is supposedly all Polo TDIs. Very surprising to me.
NevGin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2013, 17:31   #937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
I have got to know from reliable sources that each showroom of each dealership in Mumbai has approximately 25 TSI bookings. Number of cars each of them will receive for July is approximately 10 each. Considering that, the wait period seems to be 6 to 8 weeks. Also, the current production at Chakan's Polo assembly line is supposedly all Polo TDIs. Very surprising to me.
A vast majority of them are red. I should have had my car by now , but would take another three weeks atleast. What I heard about Chennai is approximately 18 bookings so far in each dealership.
The wait is really painful.
Old 30th June 2013, 17:33   #938
BHPian

Polo GT TSI bookings are taking upto 3 months in Guwahati. I enquired with the dealer today.
Old 1st July 2013, 02:05   #939
BHPian

hi guys,

FE update: I have covered 720kms and in the first fill up got a below par 9.8kmpl in city conditions with 100% AC. In the last fill up got around 11.5kmpl, this is bit disappointing considering this was 85% GQ roads at speeds of 90kmph or less. To be fair the car was fully loaded and the remaining 15% of road was bumper to bumper traffic, but that still does not clarify the MID showing a high trip average of 15kmpl or so. Can others check the accuracy of your MiD figures. I am maintaining tyre pressures at 30psi but this fill up have increased it to 32.
And also can you guys explain how you are carrying out engine braking at highway speeds. My opinion is that all the direct braking is cutting down on fuel efficiency and probably eat the brake pads faster as well. Though you can sense the dsg shifting down as soon as you start braking, is it really doing an engine brake? Is it acceptable to move into triptonic mode and shift down manually to achieve engine braking?

Drive update: I was away from the car for more than 2weeks and simply loved the long highway drive yesterday. This little hatch is as well behaved as any good sedan on the highway, and this being an airport drop it carried 4 passengers and decent luggage(1big suitcase and 3small bags) all in good comfort. Only wish it had more bite in its brakes.

Cheers!
Old 1st July 2013, 04:02   #940
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta5 View Post
hi guys,

FE update: I have covered 720kms and in the first fill up got a below par 9.8kmpl in city conditions with 100% AC. In the last fill up got around 11.5kmpl, this is bit disappointing considering this was 85% GQ roads at speeds of 90kmph or less. To be fair the car was fully loaded and the remaining 15% of road was bumper to bumper traffic, but that still does not clarify the MID showing a high trip average of 15kmpl or so. Can others check the accuracy of your MiD figures. I am maintaining tyre pressures at 30psi but this fill up have increased it to 32.
And also can you guys explain how you are carrying out engine braking at highway speeds. My opinion is that all the direct braking is cutting down on fuel efficiency and probably eat the brake pads faster as well. Though you can sense the dsg shifting down as soon as you start braking, is it really doing an engine brake? Is it acceptable to move into triptonic mode and shift down manually to achieve engine braking?

Drive update: I was away from the car for more than 2weeks and simply loved the long highway drive yesterday. This little hatch is as well behaved as any good sedan on the highway, and this being an airport drop it carried 4 passengers and decent luggage(1big suitcase and 3small bags) all in good comfort. Only wish it had more bite in its brakes.

Cheers!
After my last tank full got an FE of around 15 kmpl. That is all highway run with 100% AC and speeds of around 100. MID was showing 17 kmpl. I have completed 3700 kms and now I use kickdown less frequently. The car was carrying 3 passengers.

Last edited by drjanakpatel : 1st July 2013 at 04:03.
Old 1st July 2013, 08:56   #941
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta5 View Post
FE update: I have covered 720kms and in the first fill up got a below par 9.8kmpl in city conditions with 100% AC.
IMO its not a good practice to major or start following the FE during initial days of ownership. 720 kms is very less mileage, give yourself and your car some time to settle with each other. I always believe that FE of a car settles after 5-6K kms. Right now you should concentrate on proper running in instead of FE, if running in progresses in right manner then everything will be alright after a certain mileage.

Quote:
Only wish it had more bite in its brakes.
Again an early judgment, brake components and tyres also need a little bit of running in, wait till 1K kms and then observe the braking behavior of your car.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 1st July 2013 at 08:58.
tbppjpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 16:35   #942
BHPian

Quote:
Only wish it had more bite in its brakes.
Are you saying that the braking has not improved at all from the time that you started driving the car till now? From what I have heard/read, the run in period for the car is 200 Km and the quality of braking only keeps improving. You are way past the run in period in terms of km's. Not sure, if the brakes need more km's to improve or if there is possibly any issue with the brakes.
Old 2nd July 2013, 00:06   #943
Senior - BHPian

This is the same situation with the Fabia as well , or at least the 1.6. The prescribed fuel is 95 in the absence of which 91 can be used , i simply just use 97.

I also had a reply from Skoda - i had actually sent them an email on this and they acknowledged that there would be a little drop in performance etc if 91 was used instead of 95. I just decided to play it safe and stick with 97.

Quote:
I recently checked the fuel lid of my car. On the fuel flap its written 95 RON SUPER PREMIUM. I have been using 97 octane for the past month and do not use the normal 88 ron unleaded. When i spoke to the VW service advisor about this he said that the car would run fine on 88 ron unleaded but i have my doubts due to the marking sticker in the car.
Old 2nd July 2013, 00:24   #944
BHPian

drjanakpatel stated in his earlier post regarding inadequate brakes for the car. I feel its not the brakes but the stock apollo tyres which are to blame. When i purchased the car i drove it with the stock tyres and felt that the brakes were not upto the mark but then i traded in the stock apollos for michelin primacy and thereafter the braking has been spot on.
Old 2nd July 2013, 00:31   #945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
This is the same situation with the Fabia as well , or at least the 1.6. The prescribed fuel is 95 in the absence of which 91 can be used , i simply just use 97.

I also had a reply from Skoda - i had actually sent them an email on this and they acknowledged that there would be a little drop in performance etc if 91 was used instead of 95. I just decided to play it safe and stick with 97.
The car runs a lot smoother on 97 with better fuel economy but having said that 97 octane is allmost 90 bucks a litre after the latest fuel hike. I use my GT mostly on the weekend therefore as of now im only filling her up with 97and my daily drive is. Skoda laura diesel so im not burning a big hole in my pocket but for people who will use the GT as a daily drive using 97 makes no sense

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks