Team-BHP - Ford EcoSport : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Ford EcoSport : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/136854-ford-ecosport-official-review-606.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by shreyak_ss (Post 3748371)
Finally, the beast joins the beauty on her first birthday:D

A couple of queries,
1. Has anyone used kagu mats? the original 3D ones? Are they really worth the exorbitant price? Also where can I get them in NCR? Any other alternative?
2. How is the OEM camera accessory? The dealer is charging ~18k for the same.
3. The lights, I feel they are a bit inadequate. What options do I have here?
Regards,
Shreyak

Answers to your queries:
1. Khan market near Lodhi Road is the place to go for 3D Kagu mats. I bought these a year and half ago for approx. INR 7000/- (Fiesta ones but fit perfectly in Ecosport, couldn't find those in Mumbai so bought from Delhi). Look really nice. However, consider other options if your driving environment is full of dust/mud as these get dirty pretty quickly which is such a put off.

2. Camera is helpful in tight situations if calibrated well with green lines on IVRM screen. But get it from Ford only if you need it as non-OEM accessories will void the warranty.

3. Go for Philips or Osram and you will get slight improvement.

Enjoy your ride!

My neighbor has purchased a Renault Duster RxL costing Rs. 9.14L ex-showroom. The insurance premium through HDFC ERGO is Rs. 21,000 (comprehensive only, no zero dep) whereas I was quoted Rs. 14,000 by HDFC ERGO for my Ecosport 1.0L costing 9.17L ex-showroom.

On comparing the 2 quotes, I find that the 3rd party accident cover premium is Rs. 5000 for the Duster, but only Rs. 1500 for my Ecosport.

So, why is there such a massive difference in the 3rd party cover quotes?

Attaching screenshots of quotes for Ecosport 1.0L Ecoboost (O) and Renault Duster RxL. To make comparison easier, I have slightly increased the ex-showroom price of the Duster to match the Ecosport's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemant.kamat (Post 3748542)
My neighbor has purchased a Renault Duster RxL costing Rs. 9.14L ex-showroom. The insurance premium through HDFC ERGO is Rs. 21,000 (comprehensive only, no zero dep) whereas I was quoted Rs. 14,000 by HDFC ERGO for my Ecosport 1.0L costing 9.17L ex-showroom.

On comparing the 2 quotes, I find that the 3rd party accident cover premium is Rs. 5000 for the Duster, but only Rs. 1500 for my Ecosport.

So, why is there such a massive difference in the 3rd party cover quotes?

Attaching screenshots of quotes for Ecosport 1.0L Ecoboost (O) and Renault Duster RxL. To make comparison easier, I have slightly increased the ex-showroom price of the Duster to match the Ecosport's.

From the limited experience, I have had with the General Insurance business, the Risk profile for every vehicle is different, notwithstanding their respective ex-showroom costs.
So, if you are getting these figures, then the Insurance companies have decided (based on various historical statistics, vehicle safety characteristics, accident data, usage patterns etc...) that the Ecosport is a safer car and less likely to lead to expensive liabilities both for owners and for 3rd parties, in comparison with the corresponding Duster. That's all that there is to it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by shreyak_ss (Post 3748371)
Finally, the beast joins the beauty on her first birthday:D

A couple of queries,
1. Has anyone used kagu mats? the original 3D ones? Are they really worth the exorbitant price? Also where can I get them in NCR? Any other alternative?
2. How is the OEM camera accessory? The dealer is charging ~18k for the same.
3. The lights, I feel they are a bit inadequate. What options do I have here?
Regards,
Shreyak

As arunphilip quoted, Nomad are the best, though they don't look as attractive as Kagu to me.
The OEM camera is quite good but it is not VFM. If you really want a camera, you can get one from outside.
OSRAM and Philips are improvement over stock lamps, however if you are looking for more improvement, go for Auxiliary lights or 100/90(Both may void your warranty). The Ecosport lights are weak because of the headlamp assembly design rather than the bulbs. My Vento comes with exactly same stock bulbs as Ecosport but has better light throw.

Not sure if this is the right place for this. Mods - please change / advice.

This is with respect to the Ecosport Ad that has been airing on TV over the last few months. The one where the Ecosport owner is shown enjoying his weekend in the ecosport.

Towards the end of the ad, there is a shot of their kid (a small girl) sleeping in the back seat - no seat belts. To me it seems that the car is in motion. I asked few folks and many have not noticed - but when i showed them the ad from Ford India website they also felt like it.

I actually wrote to Ford, and then in fact called me - and explained that the "car is parked" as you can see that in the next shot the guy and his wife is sitting by the fire. Explanation was theoretically ok, but when I played the ad, I again felt that they show a girl sleeping in the back in a car in motion.

Isn't this against safety standards?
Shouldn't they just avoid any such confusing visuals?

Now I know many of us have kids sleeping in the back seat, while we go for a drive, this is not a safe practice - and the auto makers should be at the forefront in trying to change this attitude and behavior.

What does this learned forum think?

Quote:

Originally Posted by roy_libran (Post 3748560)
From the limited experience, I have had with the General Insurance business, the Risk profile for every vehicle is different, notwithstanding their respective ex-showroom costs.
So, if you are getting these figures, then the Insurance companies have decided (based on various historical statistics, vehicle safety characteristics, accident data, usage patterns etc...) that the Ecosport is a safer car and less likely to lead to expensive liabilities both for owners and for 3rd parties, in comparison with the corresponding Duster. That's all that there is to it!

Risk profile ~ engine size. I think Duster's insurance premium is higher due to the fact it has a bigger engine size on paper.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajith-s (Post 3749878)
Shouldn't they just avoid any such confusing visuals?

Now I know many of us have kids sleeping in the back seat, while we go for a drive, this is not a safe practice - and the auto makers should be at the forefront in trying to change this attitude and behavior.

What does this learned forum think?

First of all, congrats for taking this up & respect Ford for 'bothering' to respond to you.

As you rightly mentioned, may be 90% viewers never noticed it, including me. So, the impact isn't huge I assume. Secondly, safety practices should start with consumers & not manufacturers. How many passengers buckle up during a drive? How many uses turn lamps the correct way, how many follow speed limits & lane discipline?! If the society shows they are safety conscious, the manufacturers too will behave responsibly.

Edit: I am not a fan of low safety rated products nor models with lesser safety options; but then, I feel a lot more dejected when I see people behaving with no respect to even traffic signals. The manufacturers never showed an ad with their product cutting thru a red light endangering other's lives, but there are 100s who do it without shame.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhruv45in (Post 3749926)
Risk profile ~ engine size. I think Duster's insurance premium is higher due to the fact it has a bigger engine size on paper.

Engine Size will certainly be one of the factors, but not the only one.

What is likely to be a lot more important to Insurance companies, is how much damage can happen to both the car, it's occupants and other third parties in different crash scenarios. Moreover, it would factor in, how much it would cost to repair, in such crash scenarios.

For example, if you scroll a few pages back, you will see images of a tree that fell on my Ecosport, the ensuing damage, and the relatively petty INR 16K tab that was eventually picked up by my Zero Dep Insurance. Some other cars, would have seen greater damage and consequently greater spend for the insurance company, to get it back in shape.

Insurance Underwriting is a VERY COMPLEX process and uses a very large number of factors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajith-s (Post 3749878)

Excellent Spot Ajith, and the consequent follow-up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiftnfurious (Post 3749990)
Secondly, safety practices should start with consumers & not manufacturers.

Respectfully, I Disagree.
Responsible Businesses should lead the way in demonstrating Best Practices in their promotions and advertisements. Moreover, they should proactively engage with the Authorities for promoting Enforcement of such practices.

Every Advertisement, apart from it's core function, is also an opportunity to Educate the customers. So, if Ford would have chosen to display a Child Straddled to a proper Car Safety Seat, some people would have noticed, and been tempted to follow it. Lost opportunity, I say!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samfromindia (Post 3748125)
Do you mind sharing the cost of the wrap and the grill ? Also more pics of the wrapped car please.

The wrap costed around 35K and grille set me back by 6.5 K

Well. Just now a Scorpio(driven by a political element) hit my driver side mirror at a good speed. (the mirror only, it fell down) It broke into pieces but held together, good with respect to safety concerns. The motor and indicators are working fine though.

Any idea how much will it take to replace the mirror? Posts in the older threads indicate 1.9k, but then inflation and ford parts price work in a strange way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramzsys (Post 3751988)
Well. Just now a Scorpio(driven by a political element) hit my driver side mirror at a good speed. (the mirror only, it fell down) It broke into pieces but held together, good with respect to safety concerns. The motor and indicators are working fine though.

Any idea how much will it take to replace the mirror? Posts in the older threads indicate 1.9k, but then inflation and ford parts price work in a strange way.

Thats unfortunate. I myself have changed the mirror once, in my case had collided with a stray buffalo :D . If i can recall correctly it was 1.2k, just the mirror with the back attachment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharninder (Post 3727286)
The SA is telling me since the car is still in warranty so they're in touch with Ford on this issue and his first suspect is the oil cooler so he wants to change that and check if Ford allows him to. Fingers crossed still.

Mods: Is this thread fine for discussing my issue or should I take this elsewhere?

Sharninder, is there an update that you'd like to share with us ?

Here's a first hand review of the signature headlights/DRL for the ford ecosport. After a lot of contemplation, I decided to get the signature headlamps installed by a Ford dealer. Obviously the LEDs look awesome. But the shocker came when I saw that these are NOT DRLs! These are merely the parking lights. The parking light bulbs have just been replaced by the LEDs. So no DRLs in the true sense :( Now it seems like a waste of money.

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-eco2.jpg

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-eco1.jpg

Just to have the lights on in the day would look stupid with the tail lights on too!

I guess new wiring would be required for it to be actual DRLs.

What do you think of the look though?

Quote:

Originally Posted by spittie (Post 3752274)
Here's a first hand review of the signature headlights/DRL for the ford ecosport. What do you think of the look though?

To hell with the DRLs, I like what's between them - that red stripe on the grille is an understated and elegant style statement. Nicely done :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by spittie (Post 3752274)
But the shocker came when I saw that these are NOT DRLs! These are merely the parking lights. The parking light bulbs have just been replaced by the LEDs. So no DRLs in the true sense. I guess new wiring would be required for it to be actual DRLs.

Yes, this was something pointed out earlier in this thread when the accessories were released. Its a shame you hadn't known that up-front. That said, it'll be interesting to see if there's a way of wiring this to function as DRLs without any cutting/splicing of wires, since the UK variant comes with DRLs standard (so the necessary fuses and wiring might be present).

The lamps look very nice in the dark shot - just ensure that the colour of the parking lights, headlamps match up reasonably well - you wouldn't want blue parking lights with yellow headlights. :)

A sigh of relief for future prospective EcoSport facelift customers - the spare wheel on the rear tailgate will stay, according to Nigel Harris, MD & President, Ford India.

Quote:

The EcoSport without a spare wheel was also snapped in India a couple of times, fueling rumors that Ford India was considering this design modification for the local market, especially since the EcoSport for Europe is exported from India.

Speaking to Indian Autos Blog on the EcoSport, Mr. Nigel Harris, managing director and president of Ford India, said –
For India, our customers need and demand a spare tyre. So the spare tyre stays on the back of the car. And if you ask, I like it on the back of the car, it gives it a rugged and sporty appeal.

The updated Ford EcoSport facelift is speculated to arrive in showrooms sometime next year, with an improved 1.5L TDCi heart inside it which will be borrowed from the Ford Figo Aspire.

IAB