Team-BHP - Ford EcoSport : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Ford EcoSport : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/136854-ford-ecosport-official-review-602.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by roy_libran (Post 3731731)
When I viewed the accident from my 8th floor balcony, I feared the worst for my car, however, when I reached the Parking, I was actually quite relieved, because the damage seemed minimal.
I am now, very happy, with this Ford's build quality and structural strength, but wouldn't prefer to get into the hypothetical territory of what could have happened to X, Y or Z vehicle.
But, don't forget, we also crib, when we report the Mileage figures since the car has a lot more KGs to haul. :)

Regret to see that your vehicle was damaged - but relieved that the damage is minimal. Hope Ford do a pukka job and you get it back completely satisfied. As an Ecosport owner I feel happy that it appears to be a fairly solid vehicle structurally.
So this pseudo, (baby) pretender SUV/hatch on stilts does have some 'strengths' eh?:D (Sorry - but I just couldn't help putting this down 'cause this vehicle has been the butt of so many derisive remarks by folks (even among my friends circle).

Quote:

Originally Posted by roy_libran (Post 3731731)
When I viewed the accident from my 8th floor balcony, I feared the worst for my car, however, when I reached the Parking, I was actually quite relieved, because the damage seemed minimal.

When I first read your post, I thought you were lucky for owing Ecosport instead of some weaker car and having a Gurkha to rescue it. But then, mere thought of seeing my car in such a state made me realize that you would have been lucky if this accident did not happen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arunphilip (Post 3707141)
am going to try out a 12" for the rear wiper (not even sure if it'll fit!).

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterjim13 (Post 3707687)
Have you bought that already. Curious to know how it will look and above all how it performs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arunphilip (Post 3707895)
Yes, I've ordered a 12" wiper, so once I receive it I'll see if I can fit it at the rear (i.e. whether the hook is compatible), whether the size is appropriate (I'd read earlier on this thread that 11" is the actual size). I'll post an update here, so others can then decide appropriately, but to be honest, I'm only 50% confident it'll work as expected!

So I'd got the 12" Hella DynaEdge wiper blade, and fitted it onto the rear wiper of my EcoSport, replacing the stock 11" framed blade. I'd not had a chance to test it out for some time, and was just lazy to dump a bucket of water on the rear to see how it worked. Some rains in Bangalore kindly obliged.

In conclusion: It fits right, and works just fine. Although the blade is 1" longer than the stock one, it does not foul anywhere, and cleans a larger portion of the glass. In that respect, its probably an improvement over the stock wiper. The below image that shows the dirty rear of my EcoSport will give you an indication of how it works.
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-rear-wiper-sweep.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by arunphilip (Post 3732128)
In conclusion: It fits right, and works just fine. Although the blade is 1" longer than the stock one, it does not foul anywhere, and cleans a larger portion of the glass. In that respect, its probably an improvement over the stock wiper. The below image that shows the dirty rear of my EcoSport will give you an indication of how it works.
Attachment 1382599

Excellent, was very curious to understand how a 12" worked in the place of 11". Very happy to read your post. I shall add this to my purchase list soon.

Thanks so much for the update.

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterjim13 (Post 3732133)
Excellent, was very curious to understand how a 12" worked in the place of 11". Very happy to read your post. I shall add this to my purchase list soon.

Thanks so much for the update.

Well the extra 1 inch is distributed over both the sides, in reality it is hardly perceptible. I have done the same for the Figo, replaced the 11 with the 12 inch one and it does the job just fine.

Quote:

Well the extra 1 inch is distributed over both the sides ...
Oh! Do you mean that it just a half inch extra either side of the arm fixing point, so the wiped area is only a half-inch extra all around? Previously I was thinking that you would get a whole inch, measured from pivot to tip. That was probably stupid of me!

Quote:

So I'd got the 12" Hella DynaEdge wiper blade, and fitted it onto the rear wiper of my EcoSport, replacing the stock 11" framed blade.

Thanks for sharing it. Been looking to change this for sometime now. On seeing, I immediately bought the wipers. Now waiting to get the package. Also, how hard/easy it is to install them? I tried removing the stock wiper and found it really difficult to remove.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 3732277)
Oh! Do you mean that it just a half inch extra either side of the arm fixing point, so the wiped area is only a half-inch extra all around? Previously I was thinking that you would get a whole inch, measured from pivot to tip.

batterylow is correct, its half an inch on either side of the pivot. Its the total blade length that is 1" longer. What that also means is that the meaningful extra sweep is the half-inch on the outside of the blade, since the extra bit on the inside doesn't really make a meaningful difference.
Quote:

Originally Posted by batterylow (Post 3732141)
Well the extra 1 inch is distributed over both the sides, in reality it is hardly perceptible.

On a lighter note, here's a bunch of men discussing whether that online purchase gives us an extra half inch or one inch :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by naveen.raju (Post 3732348)
Also, how hard/easy it is to install them? I tried removing the stock wiper and found it really difficult to remove.

Its pretty straightforward. Here's the procedure, the same is applicable for both the front and rear:
  1. Flip the wiper arm erect, and rotate the blade from the arm so it forms a T shape.
  2. Look for a tab near the pivot point on the blade (circled in green) and push it, this unlocks the blade from the arm.
    Ford EcoSport : Official Review-wp_20150616_21_47_57_pro.jpg
  3. Rotate the blade back to be parallel to the arm
  4. Slide the blade downwards (towards the base/motor area). Hold the arm when applying pressure to slide the blade, so that the pressure doesn't go through the arm into its mounting point (I presume this could cause damage).
  5. Once the blade is removed, you'll notice the arm will have a U-shaped hook at the end.
  6. On the Hella blade, lift up the tab that says 'UP' (circled in blue).
    Ford EcoSport : Official Review-wp_20150616_21_52_11_pro.jpg
  7. Hook the U-shaped part into the opening formed by opening the tab, and move the blade in the opposite direction.
  8. Close the tab to lock the blade in place.

Quote:

12" Hella DynaEdge wiper blade[/url], and fitted it onto the rear wiper of my EcoSport, replacing the stock 11" framed blade. I'd not had a chance to test it out for some time, and was just lazy to dump a bucket of water on the rear to see how it worked. Some rains in Bangalore kindly obliged.

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterjim13 (Post 3732133)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 3732277)
Oh! Do you mean that it just a half inch extra either side of the arm fixing point, so the wiped area is only a half-inch extra all around? Previously I was thinking that you would get a whole inch, measured from pivot to tip. That was probably stupid of me!

Quote:

Originally Posted by batterylow (Post 3732141)
Well the extra 1 inch is distributed over both the sides, in reality it is hardly perceptible. I have done the same for the Figo, replaced the 11 with the 12 inch one and it does the job just fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by naveen.raju (Post 3732348)
Thanks for sharing it. Been looking to change this for sometime now. On seeing, I immediately bought the wipers. Now waiting to get the package. Also, how hard/easy it is to install them? I tried removing the stock wiper and found it really difficult to remove.

I have similarly used a 1" larger wiper blade on the rear glass also the specific blade was physically 1.5" larger than the original fitment and it did not foul any place,

ALSO

on the front windscreen

Increased the driver side wiper blade by 4" larger blade and used a proportionately smaller blade (roughly 3" smaller) on the passenger side.

Essentially ensure that the two don't foul with each other. Used the largest possible blade on the Driver Side that fit.

You gain significantly on the driver side especially if you sit high as earlier the original wiper left a large portion on the top of the glass uncleansed. The passenger side outer edge does now get cleaned a bit lesser but that is OK.

Do not order online but try it physically. Did this about 4 months back.

I tried to see if the inches are mentioned on the new blades but couldn't see it mentioned anywhere, hence not mentioning the exact size. I had also narrowed down the gap between the two wipers at that point of time so the decrease in the passenger side blade was not as much as the increase in the Driver side blade.

Can attach snaps if required.

Overall the visibility in rains is significantly increased.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACM (Post 3732874)
I have similarly used a 1" larger wiper blade on the rear glass also the specific blade was physically 1.5" larger than the original fitment and it did not foul any place,
ALSO
on the front windscreen

Increased the driver side wiper blade by 4" larger blade and used a proportionately smaller blade (roughly 3" smaller) on the passenger side.

Can attach snaps if required.

Overall the visibility in rains is significantly increased.

This sounds interesting. Would really appreciate some snaps.

Bought Hella Dynaedge from the site that Arun recommended. But got a message from them today stating that they have a 2 year old wiper with an open pack but said the blade is in good condition. I asked them to cancel the order and refund the cash.

So decided to go with an universal frameless wiper from Amazon (300/-). Will update when I get those.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACM (Post 3732874)
I tried to see if the inches are mentioned on the new blades but couldn't see it mentioned anywhere, hence not mentioning the exact size. I had also narrowed down the gap between the two wipers at that point of time so the decrease in the passenger side blade was not as much as the increase in the Driver side blade.

I had used 22"/17" earlier and was a perfect fit. Now back to the stock size but frameless model.

I'm still lurking in this thread as watching the ecosport from a distance, with my Polo likely to last me (hopefully) some, if not quite a few) years, but I'm very happy I caught the advice about the wiper blades. To me it is much more useful than bigger tires.

Quote:

Originally Posted by naveen.raju (Post 3733048)

So decided to go with an universal frameless wiper from Amazon (300/-). Will update when I get those.

I brought Bosch basic ones last week online from snapdeal @ 330 as the stock ones wiping was uneven. Not happy with the Bosch ones, they squeak when they start to wipe for the first time and cleaning is also no good that the stock ones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilful (Post 3733041)
This sounds interesting. Would really appreciate some snaps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by naveen.raju (Post 3733048)

I had used 22"/17" earlier and was a perfect fit. Now back to the stock size but frameless model.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 3733097)
I'm very happy I caught the advice about the wiper blades. To me it is much more useful than bigger tires.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunilg33 (Post 3733304)
I brought Bosch basic ones last week online from snapdeal @ 330 as the stock ones wiping was uneven. Not happy with the Bosch ones, they squeak when they start to wipe for the first time and cleaning is also no good that the stock ones.

Quote:

So I'd got the 12" Hella DynaEdge wiper blade and fitted it onto the rear wiper of my EcoSport, replacing the stock 11" framed blade.

Have attached the Snaps of the wipers as executed by me.

The Brand is something from china will last this monsoon only. Quality is average. Will get Bosch Aerotwins in this sizee when I get the time for it. They were not available when I tried 3 months back.

Front Passenger Wiper is 2 sizes bigger and the Rear 1 size bigger. These sizes work well for me.

You are also getting a sneak preview of the White Strips that I have got executed from 3M on my car.

Don't have the older wipers to compare sizes.

What is the latest SYNC version installed in your vehicle? I'm having EV6T-14D544-AG. Is there any newer update available?