Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2013, 11:43   #4261
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
The voice controls in the 2011 Fiesta have been built purely by Ford,
On the other hand, Sync in the EcoSport has been built in conjunction with Microsoft (i.e. its different from what's on the 2011 Fiesta).
That is not exactly true. It is ford who defines the system requirements (how different bits of the ICE will communicate with each other), but the components(both hardware and software) are built by Tier 1 supplier companies. For example, the Multifunctional Display(MFD), Audio Unit, the Cluster and Climate Control are all made by Visteon. ICP (Switch Panel) is made by TRW. The SYNC was initially made by Continental and then by Microsoft from 2009 onwards. So the SYNC of Fiesta is also made by Microsoft.

SYNC by Microsoft has its different variants. Few higher end Ford models sold in the US come with a SYNC which has an integrated Touch Panel (No MFD required)

But hardware wise, there should not be any difference between the SYNC of Fiesta and that of Ecosport (both black boxes, with a microphone,USB, Aux input and CAN bus output to the MFD).

The only reason i see why Ford lost the integration with the Climate control(CC) was to save some cost on the communication BUS between the MFD and the CC. Or maybe they found out from some customer feedback that the CC integration was the least used feature.

Quote:
and can only control the entertainment bits, not climate control.
Can it control the Radio and the CD functionality then ?
Old 23rd September 2013, 12:00   #4262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs View Post
After decoding the vin (DGxxxxx), the car seems to be manufactured in Aug, 2013. Not sure if the vehicle has Push Start Stop button and Smart Keyless entry, dealer to confirm this once vehicle is in their yard.

Can anybody comment on vehicle manufactured in Aug, 2013 ?
Your dealer should be able to tell you even before the vehicle arrives. They have a list of vehicles which are allocated for the month and Push Button presence will be mentioned as a note against your allocation. The AGM sales of Lathangi had confirmed the feature for my friend who got a Titanium Ecosboost allocated last week.
Old 23rd September 2013, 12:07   #4263
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport View Post
What is so different about the 1.5AT that they decided that only that variant would get hill hold, ESC, EBA and TCA? Do these features depend on the AT gearbox for anything?
Its a mix, to be honest. I'm not an expert, but here are my views.

Hill hold - is more easily implemented in an autobox as the clutch and parking brake function are both fully electronically controlled therein.

ESC (electronic stability control): is something quite easily applied on top of ABS cars, but with the addition of a few directionality sensors and 4-channel brake plumbing. In ABS, the ABS system periodically & momentarily releases brake pressure. ESC is the automatic application of specific brakes (hence the need for separate brake channels). I don't see any need/dependency for ESC to be tied to automatic transmissions.

EBA (emergency brake assistance) - boosts the brake pressure in emergency situations. This appears to just require an algorithm sitting on top of the ESC hardware.

Traction control - can be applied at the engine side (reduce fueling) or at the wheel side (apply brakes). Again, this can piggyback on the ESC/EBA hardware. In the case of 4WD vehicles, this can also be applied at the gearbox that sends power to the 4 wheels.

To answer your question, then, it would just appear that in Ford's case, the controllers for the AT gearbox and the above features are linked or integrated, so these features come as a package. But there's no reason why these can't be given for MT vehicles at a small cost difference.

Tweeter - this is definitely a conspiracy by Ford!
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2013, 13:17   #4264
BHPian

Quote:

Now to the most horrible of them all, tweeter is only available in the AT. That one sure does not need the gearbox, am sure.
Aren't tweeters there in all titanium option variants?
Old 23rd September 2013, 13:23   #4265

I received an SMS stating that the prices have gone up. On calling the Chennai dealer, I was told that the amount is Rs 40,000.
No mention was made about the features being removed (I have booked the Titanium Diesel Variant). On asking for a tentative delivery date, I was told to await a call from the dealer.
Ford- get real and take your customers seriously. I am a hardcore Hyundai/Mahindra user and the Ecosport is my first foray into the Ford family.
I am seriously considering going back and booking the Verna but i will now lose some of my booking amount.
Not Fair.
Old 23rd September 2013, 13:25   #4266
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pious_devil View Post
So the SYNC of Fiesta is also made by Microsoft.
Quoting from Vid's review, he says the EcoSport is the first Ford vehicle in India to feature Sync.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The EcoSport is the first car from Ford India to feature SYNC. Though the Fiesta has a voice control system, it's primitive in comparison. SYNC is way more advanced, and it can also recognize up to 150 unique voice commands. However, unlike the Fiesta, the EcoSport's SYNC doesn't accept voice commands for the climate control system.
I agree with the part about Ford having various tiers of Sync and the fact that we don't have the topmost one (Sync touch) in India. (Off-topic - but my opinion about touch interfaces in automobiles differs from manufacturers like Ford!). Also, thank you for pointing out that its Visteon building the hardware, that's news to me.

Quote:
Or maybe they found out from some customer feedback that the CC integration was the least used feature.
Maybe its just me, but I'm embarrassed to use any of the voice control features, even when I'm alone in the car!

Quote:
Can it control the Radio and the CD functionality then?
That's a good question, let me check the manual and try it out!

Quote:
Just checked the Ecosport South Africa site.
Isn't Ford exporting Ecosports to South Africa from the Chennai plant? They should be having a tough time keeping track of the variants.
PS: South Africa site lists 0-100 acceleration figures:
Hey, thanks for the SA link. I'd checked out the Mexico and Brazil sites some months ago, good to have another site to throw into the mix.

Interesting to note that they're actually listing the EcoBoost variant as the "Fox" (pretty cool sounding), this was something I'd only seen on the VIN sticker on the quarterglass.

For a company that has as its goal the rationalization of products down to a portfolio of global vehicles, they sure need to also bring in rationalization of variants!

Also, interesting to see that the EcoBoost is beaten in the sprint to 100 km/h by the 1.5P.

Last edited by arunphilip : 23rd September 2013 at 13:45. Reason: Replied to ecosport
Old 23rd September 2013, 13:26   #4267
BHPian

Quote:
Its a mix, to be honest. I'm not an expert, but here are my views.
Just checked the Ecosport South Africa site. More confusion there.

http://www.ford.co.za/suvs/ecosport/...cificationdata

ESC and TCS available in Diesel Titanium. HLA only on AT. EBA in all titanium variants.

Tweeters in all Titanium variants.

Isn't Ford exporting Ecosports to South Africa from the Chennai plant? They should be having a tough time keeping track of the variants.

And AT in India misses leather, and keyless entry/start. Am still not able to find any rationale in the variant configurations.

1.5P - 11.6s
1.5PAT - 13.4s
Ecoboost - 12.7s
1.5D - 14.5s

Quote:
Originally Posted by niks_devil666 View Post
Aren't tweeters there in all titanium option variants?
No. Check the first page of the review:

Quote:
Don't be misled by the tweeter cover on the front doors though (next to the door handle). It's a dummy, we used a torch and saw only orange paint inside.

Last edited by ecosport : 23rd September 2013 at 13:29.
ecosport is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2013, 13:40   #4268
BHPian

Quote:

The tweeters are not present there because they could be coaxial speakers.

SA told me that tweeters are there .
The brochures say they are there. See the attachments.
In titanium only AT titanium has them.

New brochure says even titanium option doesn't have them.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130923_133701.png
Views: 2308
Size:  108.9 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130923_133731.png
Views: 2342
Size:  112.0 KB
Old 23rd September 2013, 14:08   #4269
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The brochures say they are there. See the attachments.In titanium only AT titanium has them.

Look carefully - the brochures are actually stating that the T(O) variant does not get 4 speakers, it gets only 2 tweeters (both old and new brochure) - which is rather absurd.

In fact, there's no difference between both the images you've posted, assuming one is the old brochure and one is the new. The key difference (push button start) is tantalizingly hidden one line above what you've cropped and shown
Old 23rd September 2013, 14:11   #4270
BHPian

Quote:
Look carefully - the brochures are actually stating that the T(O) variant does not get 4 speakers, it gets only 2 tweeters (both old and new brochure) - which is rather absurd.

In fact, there's no difference between both the images you've posted, assuming one is the old brochure and one is the new. The key difference (push button start) is tantalizingly hidden one line above what you've cropped and shown
they are two different brochures picked up in June . One says only 2 tweeters. The other says 4 speakers and 2 tweeters in Tit (o)

Screenshot from the most recent brochure -
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-capture111.jpg  

niks_devil666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2013, 14:16   #4271
BHPian

Even the fuel economy figures of 1.5 L Petrol listed is better than 1.0 L ecoboost. Arent ARAI figures the other way round??

Quote:
Just checked the Ecosport South Africa site. More confusion there.

http://www.ford.co.za/suvs/ecosport/...cificationdata

1.5P - 11.6s
1.5PAT - 13.4s
Ecoboost - 12.7s
1.5D - 14.5s

Old 23rd September 2013, 14:28   #4272
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
1. Anti pinch feature is available for the driver side window.
only? That's bad. This is a safety feature which prevents injury to passengers, especially children, rather than drivers, who are expected to have the sense not to close the window on their own head or hands.

Auto-down and auto-up are features I would really like to have on [at least] driver's side window. How does the Ecosport score there?
Old 23rd September 2013, 14:38   #4273
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1142322

Attachment 1142324
In the first list of brochures it was there and they removed it in the subsequent brochures (God knows why) and the reality is that in titanium O, there are no tweeters available and they are not offering it as an accessory. The quality of these tweeters are really good, and I will be really missing these
Old 23rd September 2013, 14:41   #4274
BHPian

Quote:

Tweeters are separate. It is there in my AT. I put my ears on the mesh, and I could hear them.

SAs hardly know anything. They get at most a 2 day training. Most don't even hear half of what is told to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mariner View Post
Even the fuel economy figures of 1.5 L Petrol listed is better than 1.0 L ecoboost. Arent ARAI figures the other way round??
That one is very surprising. And, since it is a DSG, there shouldn't be a difference between MT and AT.
Old 23rd September 2013, 14:46   #4275
BHPian

Can someone post pics of tweeters in AT variant.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks