Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2014, 14:39   #601
i10
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review

Makes much more sense now. 19kmpl had got me worried about the 12 I have been getting for the past few years
Old 14th September 2014, 12:51   #602

My brother and I own a Fluidic Verna each (having purchased both just a few months apart in 2012) and we really love them. We are very impressed with Hyundai's build quality and the fact that almost all their cars are true value for money and affordable in the long run.

Hyundai's excellent build quality compliments our careful maintenance, and hence our only visits to the dealership are for stipulated periodic maintenance. The visits to the dealership being so few and far between, Hyundai invariably has a new product each time we turn up there. And I love test-driving cars from this marque to experience the refinement and improvements with each new launch, first-hand.

Early this year, I had test-driven the Grand i10 and the car had me quite impressed. So when it was time to buy a small diesel, my mind was already made up. So all that we had to do was select the colour and the variant most suitable to our needs.

Hyundai delivered the car in four days, one extra day due to the holiday on Independence Day. We both liked the Silky Beige, other colours in the range having become quite common across various other marques. We always like to customize our cars a little - so the Magna suited us best. It had just all the necessary tech. giving us enough room for us to give her a distinct identity on the road. By spending a little, one can actually make his/her car unique.

Here is what we have done for our Grand i10:

1) 3M body detailing & underbody protection
2) Very light sun-film (permitted by RTO) with 50% heat rejection
3) GTR alloys
4) Grille & fog lamp surrounds painted glossy black
5) Grille and rear bumper detailed with chrome tape
6) Scuff plates
7) Chrome rear-hatch garnish
8) Chrome door handle covers
9) Hyundai Motors Crest on dashboard
10) Hand-crafted eco-friendly waterproof odourless floor mats.
11) Bosch twin-tone horn-set in addition to the OE horn.

With these few extras, our Grand i10 stands out in a crowd.

Good and bad bits of the Grand i10:

Good:
Sufficient interior space
Satisfactory ingress & egress
Good driving comfort
Satisfactory lower-end torque
Linear power delivery
Rear A/C vent
Firm handling at speed

Bad:
Window controls on driver's door badly located
Average speed indicator, useless & meaningless
Average mileage indicator sadly missed (especially after you already own a Fluidic Verna)
No rubber beading between bonnet lip & bumper unit
No ORVM turn-indicators on Era & Magna versions - old fashioned body mounted turn-indicator units on front panels instead
Hand-brake handle for Magna feels as if from a low-budget car
Gear knob for Magna is dull-grey. The dealer informs that it is not possible to upgrade to the Asta gear-knob which as chrome accents topped with a glossy clear-plastic cover.
No centre arm rest between front seats.

As a premium hatch-back contender, Hyundai should have set a higher standard.

We are yet to check out the mileage of this car. We had set the trip meter after a recent tank-up but when the car returned to the dealership for fitment of the additional horn-set, someone reset the trip meter. Grrr....
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-001.jpg  

Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-002.jpg  

Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-003.jpg  

Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-004.jpg  

Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-005.jpg  

Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-006.jpg  

Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-007.jpg  

Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-008.jpg  

Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-009.jpg  

Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-010.jpg  

Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-011.jpg  

Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-012.jpg  

Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-013.jpg  

neiltopaz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 11:21   #603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltopaz View Post

Early this year, I had test-driven the Grand i10 and the car had me quite impressed. So when it was time to buy a small diesel, my mind was already made up.
Hi Neiltopaz,

Thanks for the post on your new Wheelz. Loved the color. Congratulations !

Yes Grand i10 Diesel is a good buy and I have booked the same. Expected to take delivery before Diwali as we would be away for sometime in near future. As such car is readily available subject to color choice.

Did you ever thought about taking old i20 diesel instead of Grand as discount quoted was to the tune of 80K (Non-negotiated)

Last edited by Wanderers : 15th September 2014 at 11:23.
Old 15th September 2014, 11:29   #604
BHPian

Hey neiltopaz,

Congratulations on the new ride. I have the exact same color only I have the petrol Asta

Thanks.
Old 18th September 2014, 11:50   #605

I apologize if this is not the right forum but since this is a discussion of new purchases, I thought I will bring up this issue here.
I purchased my new Grand i10 Asta Petrol last month. Since last week I am facing a Check Engine Light issue. Upon investigation, it is revealing some issue with O2 sensor. The guys at the service centre informed me that this is a known issue in i20 and i10 model and Hyundai is researching this. They dont have a procedure to rectify the problem and have reached out to Hyundai for steps. He told me I was ok to drive the car and he can try to get it resolved when I bring it for my first service which is just another 120 kms away.
Have any new owners faced this issue recently and what was your experience?
Old 18th September 2014, 14:03   #606

Hey teju. My 2 cents. I have a gi10 petrol magna. From the day I bought it, i am very particular to follow all directions on the user manual. Ive covered 2600km so far, no issues. But, per the manual, any burning warning lights require immediate attention and ignoring it might result in further deterioration of associated components, Im surprised and a little skeptical about the competence of the response received from the a.s.s ideally they should resolve the issue either by repair or replacement. Id proceed with caution and not drive the car until the issue is resolved, why damage your precious car based on flimsy response from the a.s.s
Old 18th September 2014, 15:58   #607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teju666 View Post
I apologize if this is not the right forum but since this is a discussion of new purchases, I thought I will bring up this issue here.
I purchased my new Grand i10 Asta Petrol last month. Since last week I am facing a Check Engine Light issue. Upon investigation, it is revealing some issue with O2 sensor. The guys at the service centre informed me that this is a known issue in i20 and i10 model and Hyundai is researching this. They dont have a procedure to rectify the problem and have reached out to Hyundai for steps. He told me I was ok to drive the car and he can try to get it resolved when I bring it for my first service which is just another 120 kms away.
Have any new owners faced this issue recently and what was your experience?
Just ensure a Job card is made for this issue and they give you back in writing that the issue would be addressed in the first service
Old 18th September 2014, 16:06   #608
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
IThe guys at the service centre informed me that this is a known issue in i20 and i10 model and Hyundai is researching this.
I am not able to digest this fact that the country's second largest seller has no idea about flashing warning lights in their brand new cars! And if its genuinely a 'known issue' (which I doubt) Hyundai as a company should not be selling these cars in first place. I would say its laziness of service centers to look into the issue. And as another member pointed out, requires immediate attention.

Regards,
Saket
Old 18th September 2014, 18:09   #609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He told me I was ok to drive the car and he can try to get it resolved when I bring it for my first service which is just another 120 kms away.
You should get a second opinion at a different service center. The CEL is a major warning and in my opinion, should not be ignored for too long.
Old 18th September 2014, 18:45   #610
BHPian

Quote:
Check Engine Light issue. ok to drive the car..
It's not ok to drive it unless you have a written confirmation from the service centre.

I would also strongly recommend getting a confirmation from a service centre of a different dealer. I assume you are in Bangalore. If yes, there are quite a few choices.

Also raise a complaint with Hyundai directly.

http://www.customercare.hyundai.co.i...tactus-27.aspx

Last edited by vinjosep : 18th September 2014 at 18:50.
Old 22nd September 2014, 12:14   #611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltopaz View Post

Here is what we have done for our Grand i10:

1) 3M body detailing & underbody protection
2) Very light sun-film (permitted by RTO) with 50% heat rejection
3) GTR alloys
4) Grille & fog lamp surrounds painted glossy black
5) Grille and rear bumper detailed with chrome tape
6) Scuff plates
7) Chrome rear-hatch garnish
8) Chrome door handle covers
9) Hyundai Motors Crest on dashboard
10) Hand-crafted eco-friendly waterproof odourless floor mats.
11) Bosch twin-tone horn-set in addition to the OE horn.

With these few extras, our Grand i10 stands out in a crowd.
Hi Neiltopaz,

You seems to have added a good range of accessories and Chrome garnish looked lovely. I have booked Asta 1.1 and would be interested in all possible accessories. Mine is Twilight Blue.

Apart from your list above, please share the other accessories option which one can have on Grand.

Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 13:27   #612
BANNED

My Gi10 (D) is giving me 18.6Kmpl, with 300Km on highways(100-120kmph) and 520 km in city. AC on all the time. ODO 3500Km's.
chaudh2s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 13:56   #613
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Grabby Brakes?

Last month, my brother in law purchased a Hyundai i10 Grand Sportz Petrol to fulfil the role of a second family runabout.

Like me, he also drives a Honda City petrol.

Yesterday I happened to drive the car (it has been raining here for last few days) and found the brakes to be excessively grabby and over sensitive. I mean, the brakes were not progressive and at the slightest pressure, they would just grab and almost lock the wheel, especially at slower speeds. I was wearing sandals and even removed them in order to get a better feel of the engagement point at the pedal. But even this was of little help. Due to the jerky braking, the other occupants inside the car were thinking I was doing this on purpose! Overall it was almost scary.

I later discussed this with my BIL and he agreed that even he found the brakes 'excessively powerful' and that the problem gets elevated whenever it rains. He had even reported the problem to the SVC but they said it was not a problem and common to all i10 Grands because this car had "Hydraulic Disk Brakes" for more effective braking!

They reassured him that over time the brake pads will break in and this effect will reduce and also once he keeps driving the car, he will get used to this braking style and will no longer notice this as an anomaly!

But, the fact is he had already covered 1900kms and the problem is still there!

Now my questions:
  • Why do the brakes get grabbier during rainy weather? Doesn't matter whether the roads are actually wet or dry.
  • Have any of the owners here also faced this problem?
  • Does this effect reduce over time?

Last edited by vikash49 : 23rd September 2014 at 13:58.
Old 23rd September 2014, 14:16   #614
BANNED

This issue of grabby brakes at slow speed is definitely a problem with Gi10. Me too reported this issue to HASS, but they said it's the same with all grands and since poor braking was an issue with i20, the company has rectified it and provided strong brakes on gi10 & accent. Though i was not satisfied with this response, but there was nothing else i could do, except to be cautious with my driving.

At higher speeds the brakes are just fantastic, it's only at crawling speeds that the brakes grab at the slightest pressure, which is scary.
Didn't noticed any difference in behaviour during rains. My car has now run over 3700Km's, the brakes are still grabby, but i face the grabbing issue lesser, as i have now modified my driving style. My driving is a bit less sharper now (with the grand) in city driving cycle, which is a personal loss but a public gain.
chaudh2s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2014, 12:14   #615
BHPian

^^ It's the same with my Grand i10 as well. Initially I was also a bit confused about the grabbiness, but have gotten used to it, car has 5.6k on the odo. At high speeds, the brakes are outstanding. My SA told me that the calipers that grab the disk are slightly bigger in this car, hence the grab effect at low speeds. Not sure if it's really accurate though.

All in all, confidence inspiring brakes, if a little over-sensitive at low speeds.

Apologies for back to back posts- but had a quick question regarding tyres on my car. They're 165/65 R14, and though they're quite grippy since new, my commute from CV Raman nagar to Manyata embassy park involves fairly high speed driving and some sweeping curves as well, that I take around 70. Also throw in airport runs on the new expressway and you get an idea of the speeds.

I was wondering if it would make sense for me to upgrade these to 185/60, like a few members have done and provided feedback of excellent grip and handling.

I know the resale of 5.6K done stock tyres would be very very low, so wondering if it's ok to change now or use these for around 15/20K and then change.

please advise.

Note from Support - Please use the "Multi-Quote" feature to reply to multiple posts. You can also use the "Edit" button within 30 mins of submitting the original post to add more content to it.

Last edited by n_aditya : 24th September 2014 at 18:38. Reason: Posts merged
Parth46 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks