Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2017, 06:42   #2926
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Does anyone use the Skoda bluetooth app to control the audio controls on a regular basis?

I had tried once, but my system somehow went into lockdown, and I am pretty scared to try it again.
Old 29th September 2017, 17:31   #2927
BHPian

Any idea regarding the low ground clearance for this car?
I mean as per our road conditions, I believe the ground clearance is at 155 mm.

So technically this car should be hitting the bottom very often. Can anyone confirm this?

In a city like Delhi NCR, especially Noida, how does one think of buying this car with the current road conditions.
Old 29th September 2017, 18:32   #2928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TkyoPandaMan View Post

So technically this car should be hitting the bottom very often. Can anyone confirm this?

In a city like Delhi NCR, especially Noida, how does one think of buying this car with the current road conditions.
Not at all. Bangalore has mountain speedbreakers and big potholes and it doesn't scrape since suspension is stiffer than happy/Korean and wheelbase is not too long.

Superb has 165mm GC but much longer wheelbase but I am happy with first 310km of driving - no scrapes, of course one needs to do go slow over big breakers.
lancer_rit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2017, 21:27   #2929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TkyoPandaMan View Post

No issues at all. Been using the Octavia for the last 1 year in Noida and NCR. Has not scraped a single speed breaker even after the rains.
RohanDheman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 10:09   #2930
BHPian

So my Octavia completed a year on 3 October 2017 and the odometer read 16,800 km. There are absolutely no issues to report and the car still feels and drives like i have just take it out of the showroom. There is no unwarranted noise from anywhere.

A lot of people have raised concerns over the 155 mm ground clearance- and i am happy to report that the car has not bottomed or scraped anywhere till date. This includes 3 out station trips to Palampur. The DSG too has been performing flawlessly, as it did for 5.5 years on my Laura.

The mileage has settled to 14.5-15 on a tankful to tankful method for in city use. Early morning drives (around 0745 hrs) to Gurgaon usually displays an average of around 22.

I have incurred the following expenses on the car over the last 1 year:

1. PPF and some gloss black wraps: Rs. 21,000
2. Bonnet Struts: Rs. 4,000
3. Milotec bits: Rs. 3,500
4. 3M interior cleaning (once): Rs. 4,800
5. Lots of VCDS updates: Free Free Free
6. Service: Zilch! Thanks to the 4 year service pack from Skoda.

Do i miss the independent suspension of the Laura? Nope- not one bit in the city driving conditions or the highway- maybe just a bit in the mountains. Not a deal breaker for sure. My wife prefers the ride of the Octavia to the W204 C200 and that is saying something. She is rather sensitive to ride comfort.

So if you are looking for a D segment diesel sedan, look no further and get your self the Octavia. There is no better car in this price bracket even with that ugly face!

Happy to answer any queries.

Cheers!
Rohan

Last edited by RohanDheman : 5th October 2017 at 10:24.
RohanDheman is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 07:10   #2931
BHPian

Hi All - I was enquiring about Octavia 1.8 TSI in one of the dealerships in Kerala. I have been informed that the transmission has been changed from DQ 200 to a new one DQ5XX (don't recollect the exact last two digits) - 7 Speed DSG. Is this true ?

Regards
Amar
Old 24th October 2017, 09:22   #2932
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amar.madhavan View Post
Hi All - I was enquiring about Octavia 1.8 TSI in one of the dealerships in Kerala. I have been informed that the transmission has been changed from DQ 200 to a new one DQ5XX (don't recollect the exact last two digits) - 7 Speed DSG. Is this true ?

Regards
Amar
Highly unlikely.

There is one DQ500 7 speed wet clutch gear box, which is rated for 600Nm torque (DQ501 is its sibling which is 4 wheel drive).

Even the RS comes with DQ250 which is a 6 speed wet clutch box rated for 400Nm of torque.

So, it is definitely not possible for the DQ500 to replace DQ200 in the 1.8TSi.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 12:13   #2933
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Regards
Amar
Superb 1.8 TSI DSG has been upgraded to DQ200-7F. However, if I understand correctly, the Octavia still uses the 'original' DQ200 albeit with the various refinements and tweaks incorporated over the years.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 12:59   #2934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Superb 1.8 TSI DSG has been upgraded to DQ200-7F. However, if I understand correctly, the Octavia still uses the 'original' DQ200 albeit with the various refinements and tweaks incorporated over the years.
Hi,
What are the differences DQ200 vs 7F?

rgds
Old 25th October 2017, 02:14   #2935
BHPian

DQ380 / DQ 381 / DQ500 and DL501 / DL382

Quote:
have been informed that the transmission has been changed from DQ 200 to a new one DQ5XX (don't recollect the exact last two digits) - 7 Speed DSG. Is this true ?
Unlikely, 1.8TSI should in all probability see its days end soon, as 1.4/1.5TSI and 2.0TSI covers the entire range of power/torque applications, making 1.8TSI redundant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
DQ501 is its sibling which is 4 wheel drive.
I think you were referring to DL501, the 7-speed wet clutch DSG used for longitudinal applications and in use on previous gen S4/S5, and some other A4/A5/A6 quattro models that had the torsen-type center differential. The transmission has separate lubrication channels for the gearsets and the clutch pack, an improvement over the single lubrication channel used in the likes of DQ250. However DL501 is not related to the transverse mounted DQ500.

The 7-speed DSG used in current gen A4 in India (FWD), is likely DL382, a newer addition to the longitudinal type DSGs, and with a lower max torque capacity. It has also been adapted for use with quattro variants, but primarily for the 'quattro-ultra' variant, which departs from the traditional torsen diff that Audi is famed for.

Currently there are two 7-speed wet clutch DSG for tranverse applications. DQ380/381 and DQ500, and both are capable of 4wd applications (among DQ380/381, 381 is for all wheel drive application). DQ500 has been there for a while now, famed for its use in Audi RS3, and later into Tiguan Mk1 4motion, equivalent gen Q3 quattro etc. DQ380/381 came in later, initially in the Chinese market and later onto models in EU also. Seat Ateca, a cousin of Tiguan Mk2/Kodiaq uses it. I am not sure which variant of 7-speed DSG is used in the Kodiaq or Octavia vRS 245 (in UK, it gets a 7-speed DSG), but most like it is DQ380/381.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VineetG View Post
Hi,
What are the differences DQ200 vs 7F?
No differences.
DQ200-7F: 7 forward speeds and front wheel drive. Similarly,
DQ250-6F: 6 forward speeds and front wheel drive (as used in 2.0TDI DSG Superb/Laura/Octavia/Passat etc)
DQ250-6Q: 6 forward speeds and four/all wheel drive (eg: Superb 3.6 FSI 4x4).

As with any other component/assemblies, there were minor improvements made to the respective DSGs, but nothing major with respect to design or subsystems/child parts. From maintenance/repair point of view, there are no differences between the iterations within a particular DSG model. Differences are primarily with the electronics / transmission maps.
avinash_clt is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 16:00   #2936
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
Does anyone use the Skoda bluetooth app to control the audio controls on a regular basis?

I had tried once, but my system somehow went into lockdown, and I am pretty scared to try it again.
Did you try it again? I was going to download and try it out but this post made me think twice. If you are taking the risk brother, please let us know
Old 6th November 2017, 14:42   #2937
BHPian

Hello, my 2013 Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDI CR Elegance DSG which has done around 57k was running just fine till now. Couple of weeks ago, I noticed a strange "thud thud" sound especially when going over serial speed breakers. Promptly, I took it to Tafe Access service at Singasandra, Bangalore for inspection. They suspected it to be a faulty steering rack.Fortunately, the car was under extended warranrty and steering rack was covered.
I left the car at the service center on 16th Oct, and the part approval took eternally long. After a real long wait and constant follow up calls with the advisor, part was approved on 31st Oct. Now, they say the part is not in stock. Apparantly, it will take 3 weeks for the part to arrive. Wish the service was as good as the car. Extended warranrty was about to expire and this happened at the right time.
Is this part failure common among the new gen Octavias? Can I contact anyone at Skoda India for speedy repair and return of the car? Thanks
CarMaster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 15:43   #2938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarMaster View Post
Hello, they say the part is not in stock. Apparantly, it will take 3 weeks for the part to arrive. Wish the service was as good as the car. Extended warranrty was about to expire and this happened at the right time.
Is this part failure common among the new gen Octavias? Can I contact anyone at Skoda India for speedy repair and return of the car? Thanks
Since the part is not available, we can assume that the problem is not common. And unfortunately, Skoda has this process in place which restricts the dealer from going beyond a certain level of control. And this works out against our timeline since their central back office process timings are long. Did Tafe mention that the stock is available in their plant warehouse? If so, the only thing you can insist is to have it shipped via air. This will save the ground transport delay at least. I had a problem with the coolant thermostat and went through the same ordeal.
Old 11th November 2017, 02:09   #2939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahbaz63 View Post
Took the delivery of Octavia TSI (Style Plus) on 3rd of August, clocked 2500 KM so far. To say that the engine is powerful would be an understatement. Acceleration from standstill is berserk. The seven speed DSG does an excellent job with the shifts in normal mode; never felt of using sports mode, yet.

PS: Quad setup looks aggressive with DRL lit.

A detailed review is on its way...

Hi Shahbaz, I was planning on booking the 1.8 TSI AT style. Just wanted to know how you're experience has been so far with the car. I have owned an Altis for 9 years and has been totally hassle free but I am not too fond of current generation Altis and was planning on shifting to the Octavia, any advice would be helpful.
Old 11th November 2017, 10:56   #2940
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishaanranderia View Post
Hi Shahbaz, I was planning on booking the 1.8 TSI AT style. Just wanted to know how you're experience has been so far with the car. I have owned an Altis for 9 years and has been totally hassle free but I am not too fond of current generation Altis and was planning on shifting to the Octavia, any advice would be helpful.
The Octavia is a completely different ballgame than the Corolla.
We recently picked up the new corolla and I've driven the new Octy a fair amount too - some take aways:

1) Octy engine, handling, ride, and steering feel is far superior. The Octy js also feature loaded!
2) Octy 1.8TSi DSG gearbox is a little more troublesome, FE is worse, back seat a little too upright for me. With our Laura, yearly downtime was 2-3 times that of our Etios (and I'm guessing also corolla).
3) Corolla has the perfect rear seat, can seat 5 more comfortably, and the car is very easy to pilot around the city. I'd expect the Corolla to have lesser rattles and spend fewer days in the workshop as compared to the Octy. GC of corolla is also a boon!
4) corolla ride quality is a little stiff on the top end, interior ambience is so-so, and there's a fair amount of road noise in the cabin.

We got the corolla as it was going to be primarily chauffeur driven - and this car can take a fair amount of abuse (bad roads, multiple drivers, etc.) As compared to the Octy.

Booked an Octy vRS as well as my daily drive which will be a lot more babied.

A good compromise may be the Elantra - feature loaded, good interiors, average performance (compared to Octy TSi), good reliablility, soft ride, and average handling.
However it was too low for us (rear seat and GC) so out of the equation - but a fantastic car nonetheless.

My take: if you drive yourself get the vRS, if you're driven around the corolla, the 1.8TSi Octy if you have a fantastic driver who will share some of the driving duties with you, the Elantra if you don't have a fantastic driver but he will still do some sharing of the driving duties with you.

Last edited by lamborghini : 11th November 2017 at 10:58.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks