Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2013, 11:30   #76
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I too am in dilemma for which hatch to go for.

Maruti Swift ZDi - 7.3 L - OTR Hyderabad
VW Polo GT TDI - 9.2 L - OTR Hyderabad

The price does make an issue overall as the discounts and bonuses if removed the Swift would be lot cheaper and peaceful in the long run.

The Polo just tickles the heart but the Swift tickles the mind. Whom to listen?! Heart or mind?

Anurag.
If I were you, I would have opted for Swift ZDI. 2 lacs is too much of a difference to ignore. Out of your daily run of 120 km, how much will be on well paved highways? If it is around 80/90 km, then yes , Polo GT TDI makes sense. Stock Swift does die down at around 120 kmph. If you are blessed with very good highways, sometimes the power of Swift will feel inadequate. But in Polo 1.6 TDI, power will never be an issue. Unlike Swift, Polo will fly to 150 kmph from 120 very quickly & in a relaxed manner.Sometimes, we need 1.6 TDI kind of power in highways, may be for a short distance. Only on those kind of situations, you will miss the Polo. For all other requirements, Swift fits well.

Do inform which car you finally chose & share your experience of your new car.

Cheers
Old 10th November 2013, 16:33   #77
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
You certainly wont be disappointed with fuel efficiency of 1.6 TDi. Since Vento & Polo share the same engine, likewise I get around 13-14.5 Kmpl in city drive. Did a highway drive Mumbai-Goa which gave a fuel economy of 19+ Kmpl in my Vento TDi. Drive the car at around 60 in 5th gear you could easily get 20+ Kmpl but that just ruins the fun to drive quotient.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post
If you have tight budget constraints then go for the Swift. I guess both of these cars(GT TDi and ZDi) have the similar fuel efficiency.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
If I were you, I would have opted for Swift ZDI. 2 lacs is too much of a difference to ignore.

Do inform which car you finally chose & share your experience of your new car.
Thank you for the responses.

The main problem with the VW Polo is

1) Price,
2) Efficiency and
3) After sales service.

1) Price: There is more than two lakhs price difference in the two cars. After discount the Polo would be 9L and the Swift be between 6.5-6.8L

My Ritz VDi is going out for 3.6L at Maruti True Value (Estimation and analysis done by them and they happy with the car and its maintenance 1.04L kms).

Discounts presently are too good at Maruti (Loyalty bonus + Exchange bonus + Discount on the Ex-showroom).

Verdict:
Polo GT TDI - 0
Swift ZDi - 1

2) Mileage: From the above replies I can expect an average of 16-18 kmpl overall (By full tank method), Since the Ritz I drive and the Swift Zdi have the same engine I can expect the mileage to be in similar lines that I get in my Ritz (21-24 kmpl)

Verdict:
Polo GT TDI - 0 + 1
Swift ZDi - 1 +1

3) After Sales & Service: I don't need to talk much on this part as the world here knows the winner.

Verdict:
Polo GT TDI - 0 + 1 + 0 = 1
Swift ZDi - 1 + 1 + 1 = 3

My decision is the Swift ZDi. Colour confused between Blue and Red. Went yesterday to book the car but the Manager (Didn't want to get disclosed) topped me as the New Swift is coming and has a little more usable features than the current one. He gave me the choice to wait or take the delivery right away. He also said the delivery will be made on priority. I agreed with him and cancelled my booking and postponed it for the New Swift.

PS: This is just my way of analysing the cars and no offence to owners of the Polo GT TDI. Wish I had the money, I would go buy it in white without thinking much.

Cheers,
Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2013, 20:02   #78
Senior - BHPian

I got a call from VW Delhi as I had requested for TD of the GT online just before the launch.

The lady informed me they are currently running 2 offers for the GT TDI.
1) Insurance, Extended Warranty, RSA for 3 years + 10K exchange bonus
2) 25K cash discount + 10K exchange bonus

The second offer will make it almost under 9L OTR here. I have asked her to get me a TD first.
Old 10th November 2013, 22:13   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the responses.

The main problem with the VW Polo is

1) Price,
2) Efficiency and
3) After sales service.

My decision is the Swift ZDi. Colour confused between Blue and Red. Went yesterday to book the car but the Manager (Didn't want to get disclosed) topped me as the New Swift is coming and has a little more usable features than the current one. He gave me the choice to wait or take the delivery right away. He also said the delivery will be made on priority. I agreed with him and cancelled my booking and postponed it for the New Swift.

Cheers,
Anurag.

I am in EXACTLY the same frame of mind as you, Anurag. I've arranged for a TD of the Swift ZDi tomorrow. If all goes well, I will book the car and I am assured that I can get one in grey or blue within a week (Waiting period for black is 1 year ). Since both these colors are what I prefer in the Swift, I think I may very well end up being the owner of a second Maruti.

By the way, I don't know if you guys are talking about the price difference between the VDi and the Polo 1.6 GT TDi .. because the OTR difference between the GT TDi and the Swift ZDi is more like 1L .. not 2L .. in Pune.

I've been looking at several threads about remaps and tuning boxes for the 1.3 MJD and I think (after a few thousand kms), going in for these would up the performance potential of the Swift closer to the GT. I'm starting to feel this is a better value proposition than to go in for the pricier GT TDi now.

The sales and service network from Maruti seals the deal in the Swift's favor, for me. Case in point - After assuring the sales person at VW B.U.Bhandari that I was VERY interested in the GT TDi and was willing to book right away if all things went well, I haven't received a single phone call from him - no follow-up and, more importantly, no call to answer around 5-6 queries I had asked him to get clarity on (extended warranty, finance, availability, etc. related).

EDIT: Personally, I have no issues with getting the current Swift model as the feature differences between the current one and the 2014 model are minimal (based on some googling).

Last edited by etchemkay : 10th November 2013 at 22:18.
Old 10th November 2013, 22:28   #80
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by etchemkay View Post
I am in EXACTLY the same frame of mind as you, Anurag. I've arranged for a TD of the Swift ZDi tomorrow. If all goes well, I will book the car and I am assured that I can get one in grey or blue within a week. Since both these colors are what I prefer in the Swift, I think I may very well end up being the owner of a second Maruti.
Availability of the Swift in any variant (L/V/Z) is not a problem any more as it was earlier where people had to wait for 6-8 months but now that has come down to 1 week max.

Colours, A mix and match at home:

Dad - He doesn't like anything other than silver;
Mom - She says Red and when I told Blue they were
I am now saying get me any colour, I just want the Swift ZDi (I like the car in White and Red also, Blue was looking nice but in flesh somehow I am loosing interest).

Quote:
By the way, I don't know if you guys are talking about the price difference between the VDi and the Polo 1.6 GT TDi .. because the OTR difference between the GT TDi and the Swift ZDi is more like 1L .. not 2L. in Pune.
No bro we are comparing the prices of the Swift ZDi and Polo GT TDI. It not 2 L exactly but hovers around 1.2 - 1.4L. Post discount it could be 1L difference between Swift ZDi and GT TDI.

Quote:
I've been looking at several threads about remaps and tuning boxes for the 1.3 MJD and I think (after a few thousand kms), going in for these would up the performance potential of the Swift closer to the GT. I'm starting to feel this is a better value proposition than to go in for the pricier GT TDi now.
Exactly, we can get the similar power output with remaps etc and more over it is a Maruti so peace of mind even after warranty.

Quote:
The sales and service network from Maruti seals the deal in the Swift's favor, for me. Case in point - After assuring the sales person at VW B.U.Bhandari that I was VERY interested in the GT TDi and was willing to book right away if all things went well, I haven't received a single phone call from him - no follow-up and, more importantly, no call to answer around 5-6 queries I had asked him to get clarity on (extended warranty, finance, availability, etc. related).
That is the problem as why do they neglect potential buyers of such cars Already it is priced exorbitantly and getting a buyer to get the car on road is difficult and when one such customer arrives they are not responding.

I can't think of anything that is 'against' in the case of Swift ZDi. Replies would pour in saying Boot space and rear seat space, No 60:40. I say I drive the car single 95% of its life and why bother for space at the rear and boot etc. I feel the Swift ZDi is a complete car with no need of crying later.

Anurag.
Old 10th November 2013, 22:41   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Colours, A mix and match at home:
I may end up keeping this new car purchase as a complete surprise for my family. So, am thinking hard about the blue too.

Quote:
That is the problem as why do they neglect potential buyers of such cars Already it is priced exorbitantly and getting a buyer to get the car on road is difficult and when one such customer arrives they are not responding.
Surprisingly, I was a loyal B.U.Bhandari customer when they were Tata/Fiat dealers (I owned a Palio 1.2 for 6 years). My service (not sales) experience with them was near exemplary and I had no complaints.

Quote:
I can't think of anything that is 'against' in the case of Swift ZDi. Replies would pour in saying Boot space and rear seat space, No 60:40. I say I drive the car single 95% of its life and why bother for space at the rear and boot etc. I feel the Swift ZDi is a complete car with no need of crying later.
Exactly. For me, this is going to be a second "fun" car more than a people carrier (except maybe short trips to Mumbai). So, I too can live with the slight lack of space in the rear bench and the more serious lack of space in the boot.

Mods - Apologies if this seems more like a Swift-related discussion. But, it throws some interesting (albeit indirect) light on the Polo GT TDi for prospective customers like myself.
Old 11th November 2013, 01:53   #82
BHPian

There have been many horrifying stories about VW's scary a.s.s. Here's another one http://blog.sukh.us/2013/10/planning...-in-india.html. This guy was sold a faulty car and was told to replace his turbocharger without even completing 5k kms on his odometer. These kinda stories, with the apathetic dealer attitudes must make one think long and hard about German cars before you put down your cheque.
Old 11th November 2013, 09:52   #83
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Verdict:
Polo GT TDI - 0 + 1 + 0 = 1
Swift ZDi - 1 + 1 + 1 = 3
The right comparison would be between the Swift ZDi and Polo 1.2 TDI. They are closer in price and power. The new Swift is a heck of a hatchback, greatly improved over the older generation. It would definitely be my pick over the 1.2L Polo.

That said, the Polo 1.6L TDI blows every other diesel hatchback away in terms of performance & torque. As with any other performance variant, this isn't a car you buy based on paper calculations. It's a matter of the heart over the head.

As an enthusiast, if I'd buy the Swift, I'd look longingly at a GT TDI whenever it passed me. Not the case the other way around.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 11th November 2013, 11:57   #84
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Artagnan View Post
There have been many horrifying stories about VW's scary a.s.s. This guy was sold a faulty car and was told to replace his turbocharger without even completing 5k kms on his odometer. These kinda stories, with the apathetic dealer attitudes must make one think long and hard about German cars before you put down your cheque.
I agree on VW fault but there is the equal fault of the owner as he drove 1-2 kms post the bump hit. I know it is difficult but post the hit he should have stopped and checked the under body for damage and any leaks which the owner did not do. At least he should have looked at the IRVM/ORVM to see if any oil or fuel is spilling below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The right comparison would be between the Swift ZDi and Polo 1.2 TDI. They are closer in price and power. The new Swift is a heck of a hatchback, greatly improved over the older generation. It would definitely be my pick over the 1.2L Polo.

That said, the Polo 1.6L TDI blows every other diesel hatchback away in terms of performance & torque. As with any other performance variant, this isn't a car you buy based on paper calculations. It's a matter of the heart over the head.

As an enthusiast, if I'd buy the Swift, I'd look longingly at a GT TDI whenever it passed me. Not the case the other way around.
But the cost factor, fuel efficiency and A.S.S is a concern for me.

I too would salivate when I look at the GT TDI when it overtakes me but it beats me to pay 9L OTR, Hyderabad for a hatch. As a long distance user I need efficiency and peace of mind (VW A.S.S) and emergency services if a breakdown happens which I feel I can't expect from VW. The after sales, efficiency and purchase price - All three make me write the cheque in Maruti's favour.

I may not be using my heart here but using a bit of head and being practical. By paying 9L I can go for an Amaze i-DTEC or add a lakh and go for the Vento.

Anurag.
Old 11th November 2013, 12:05   #85
BHPian

Quote:
As an enthusiast with not-deep pockets, there's always gonna be cars around that I would look longingly at .. no matter what I'm driving
etchemkay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2013, 12:10   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cheers,
Anurag.
Congrats for the sensible decision.

Can the manager of the dealership, from where you want to buy the Swift, confirm that the weak brakes issue on L&V variants is being resolved, apart from the additional features in the car?
Old 11th November 2013, 12:20   #87
BANNED

Quote:

As an enthusiast with not-deep pockets, there's always gonna be cars around that I would look longingly at.. no matter what I'm driving

You just spoke my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post

Congrats for the sensible decision.

Can the manager of the dealership, from where you want to buy the Swift, confirm that the weak brakes issue on L&V variants is being resolved, apart from the additional features in the car?
Thank you Cardeep.

Will ask the manager regarding the Brakes improvement in all the variants (L & V). If any or still same setup. I don't think so.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2013, 15:26   #88
BHPian

Quote:
As an enthusiast with not-deep pockets, there's always gonna be cars around that I would look longingly at .. no matter what I'm driving
I think today in our country we have an enthusiast's car in almost every segment. Starting from Alto K10 if you on the look out for a car less than 4 Lakhs, VW GT TSi / GT TDi if you want something under 10 L, BMW 1 Series between 20 L and 30 L , BMW M series if you have a budget which is still bigger.
So the question is at a given budget which one will you buy that can keep the enthusiast ( may be a cliche ) in you happy.

Quote:
I agree on VW fault but there is the equal fault of the owner as he drove 1-2 kms post the bump hit. I know it is difficult but post the hit he should have stopped and checked the under body for damage and any leaks which the owner did not do. At least he should have looked at the IRVM/ORVM to see if any oil or fuel is spilling below.

But the cost factor, fuel efficiency and A.S.S is a concern for me.

I too would salivate when I look at the GT TDI when it overtakes me but it beats me to pay 9L OTR, Hyderabad for a hatch.

Anurag.
There is an update in the blog and the information that the owner has given is promising. May be things will get better in the future. With respect to the case that he mentioned in the blog, I am sure that no manufacturer would easily take the responsibility of such a situation.

As you said cost is a great factor when we take a decision with respect to buying anything in our country. The cost of this car is justified when you look at an i20 CRDi or look at GT TDi as a car with Vento's engine without a boot. Another perspective, Nissan Terrano / Renault Duster ( both of them are rebadged Dacia Duster ) with a similar engine spec cost 13 Ex showroom in India. I am not forgetting the fact that these two are bigger cars with better ground clearance / bigger boot / better rear passenger comfort .

Fuel efficiency is one thing that I am sure you won't be disappointed with GT TDi. A sedate driving can give you an efficiency figures of over 20 Km/ Litre. With mixed driving conditions/ style can give you figures around 15 Km/ Litre.

Enof the day its a very personal decision. Every one has their own priorities, likes and dislikes, and beliefs.
rejoycjohn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2013, 15:41   #89
Senior - BHPian

I had inquired about the Polo GT Tdi on the VW India site and their BBY office has been in regular touch ever since. Even the dealer has been following up regularly regarding the TD, Feedback etc.

Today the VW BBY office called and informed me that VW India is having 2 offers on the Polo Tdi

1. 25K cash discount + mats
2. The fully loaded VW offer with 3 years RSA, Insurance etc.

First time when i had recd a call i was told there are NO offers on the TDi as the car is in "great" demand and flying off the shelves. Seems all the once that flew out, have landed back safely. At that time i was offered a OTR of ₹9.14L, with the offers thrown in the new OTR would be around ₹8.95L.

Since i was in a crowded area i wasn't able to hear the exact details on the offers very clearly. I then got a call from the showroom SP who is in regular contact with me and she informed me that they have all colors in ready stock for the Polo Tdi.

It seems Polo Tdi didnt set the charts on fire as much as the Tsi did.

Regards,

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 12th November 2013 at 15:43.
h@r$h@l is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2013, 09:33   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... As an enthusiast, if I'd buy the Swift, I'd look longingly at a GT TDI whenever it passed me. Not the case the other way around.
You convey it in a simple way always.

Quote:
...That said, the Polo 1.6L TDI blows every other diesel hatchback away in terms of performance & torque...
Another question. Which one will you prefer among a "safely" remapped Swift D (generating ~100 bhp & ~250 Nm torque @ a 30% improvement over stock) or a Polo GT TDi ?

I understand the warranty part of it, but would like to understand where exactly does a Polo trump Swift if they had very similar power / torque figures. One area I know is build quality. Also the remap (on a Swift) will cost another 30K which will again be substantially cheaper to own than a Polo GTD.

How would you rate the below points (assuming both Swift D & Polo GTD has similar specs)?

1. Steering feedback
2. Cornering
3. Ride
3. Handling

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 13th November 2013 at 09:40.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks