Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2014, 21:10   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review

Face lifted Polo launching in May 2014, to come with VW’s downsized-for-India 1.5-litre TDI engine.

The 1.5 TDI engine will come with two power outputs – 89bhp and 104bhp – and these will replace the 1.2-litre TDI and the 1.6-litre TDI,

The standard Polo will get the 89bhp engine, whilst the more powerful 104bhp variant, expected with a variable-geometry-turbo (VGT), will power the 2014 Polo GT TDI. Power delivery on the less powerful engine is likely to be much smoother and more linear, making the driving experience much better.

Source:ACI

Last edited by volkman10 : 7th February 2014 at 21:15.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2014, 20:27   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
Guys, how fair are the chances of polo facelift to hit our roads in may? I thought of booking GT TDI in this month but as the facelift is around the corner I am holding back. But if it's gonna be delayed beyond June, I will go for the present version.
According to http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ne-371840.aspx the Volkswagen Polo face lift (known internally as the Polo GP) will go on sale sometime in May 2014.

The big news is that it will come with VW’s downsized-for-India 1.5-litre TDI engine under the hood. Essentially a smaller-capacity version of the EA189 1.6 TDI motor, this 1.5-litre engine will now allow VW to collect a tax saving on the car and get rid of the less-than-ideal 1.2-litre, three-cylinder diesel engine.

The 1.5 TDI engine will come with two power outputs – 89bhp and 104bhp – and these will replace the 1.2-litre TDI and the 1.6-litre TDI, respectively, making the Polo much more attractive. The standard Polo will get the 89bhp engine, whilst the more powerful 104bhp variant, expected with a variable-geometry-turbo (VGT), will power the Vento saloon and the 2014 Polo GT TDI. Power delivery on the less powerful engine is likely to be much smoother and more linear, making the driving experience much better.

On the outside, the Polo facelift gets some beautifully executed mid-life upgrades. The headlights now get hexagonal LED elements, a chrome strip at the bottom of the grille links both headlights, and the chin of the car is all-new. There are fewer changes around the rear, but the car does get an all-new bumper and tail-lights.

Volkswagen has also worked on the insides of the car, which now look really attractive and are sure to be a huge draw. However, it's not clear how many of these changes will make it to the Indian market. That said, the new upmarket steering wheel, new centre console with a new colour display and new air-con controls lift the ambience of the cabin considerably.
shetty_rohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2014, 10:12   #153
BHPian

Guys, i have recently bought a polo gt tdi and I am facing a big problem now. You see the average monthly usage of my household is below 1000 km per month and thats with 3 cars combined (honda city, honda brio and the polo). I know low usage is not a big issue with the petrol cars but im a bit worried about the gt tdi.

Is it okay to leave it sitting idle like this sometimes not moving an inch for whole weeks? Its also very frustrating for me as well as I have got a beast of a car and I am not able to cane it as its still in the run in period because by the looks of its going to take a while before it reaches the 1500 km on the ODO. Please help me with this..
Old 12th February 2014, 12:59   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
Guys, i have recently bought a polo gt tdi and I am facing a big problem now. Please help me with this..

Ideally you should not keep the car idle for weeks together. Moreover with the low usage TDI shouldnt have been an option altogether. But now that the deed is done see if you can get rid of one from your garage. Do try and take long drives over the weekend.
arup.misra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2014, 13:05   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...Is it okay to leave it sitting idle like this sometimes not moving an inch for whole weeks? ...
It's OK with the new gen diesels to let idle for a week or two (though NOT an ideal thing). More than mechanical issues, I would be worried about rodents making home in a static vehicle. Even if you do NOT take it out for long drives, please make sure you move the vehicle around the compound in the morning & evenings just to avoid rodents' attention.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 12th February 2014 at 13:07.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2014, 14:19   #156
Senior - BHPian

I really like the fabric used for seat. Does anyone know of a shop in Bengaluru that can provide it? I like the breath ability of these fabrics than leather.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2014, 14:39   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it okay to leave it sitting idle like this sometimes not moving an inch for whole weeks? Its also very frustrating for me as well as I have got a beast of a car and I am not able to cane it as its still in the run in period because by the looks of its going to take a while before it reaches the 1500 km on the ODO. Please help me with this..
First of all congrats on a pocket rocket hatch.

Coming to keeping car idle for long duration. From my experience of owning Vento 1.6 TDi, its fine no problem whatsoever. I have kept car idle for almost 1 month twice and it started with just a single crank. Drive it after every 3 weeks for 30 Kms and everything should be fine.

My Vento would be completing 15,000 Kms in 3 yrs which in terms of diesel usage may be less as I bought it in place of Honda City, but it always brings a smile when you drive it.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 10:38   #158
BHPian

The Polo facelift has finally showed up in India, only to let us down. It ain't getting any hexagonal LED elements. Only notable changes on exteriors are new bumpers and redesigned headlamps. Here is the link. With 1.5L oilburner anticipated to reach our shores by late 2014, I fail to see why VW is making such minor upgrades and calling it a facelift? They should stop calling it a facelift, atleast in our country.

Last edited by Pferdestarke : 13th February 2014 at 10:47.
Pferdestarke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 11:08   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

Hope the redesigned headlamps really light up the road ahead allowing the driver to see. I don't care about LEDs, lip-sticks or any other cosmetics...

Are there new headlamps compatible with current Polo GT?
Old 13th February 2014, 13:08   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Hope the redesigned headlamps really light up the road ahead allowing the driver to see. I don't care about LEDs, lip-sticks or any other cosmetics...

Are there new headlamps compatible with current Polo GT?
This is definitely going to be better since Low beam and High beam will light-up simultaneously (when high beam is selected). This will light up the road very well.

There will be separate bulbs for Hi and Lo beams in this new setup. Therefore, you may have to alter the wires or use extension connectors....
Chethan B G is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 15:53   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

OK, so new headlights will use H1/H7 setup?
Actually that's what I have been thinking and was planning to ask on the lighting thread.
Are separate bulbs and barrels for high/low generally better than the common high/low (H4)? Laura uses H1/H7 and is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. Even the high beam which uses regular reflector is amazing. One other regular car which had amazing headlights was Palio Stile. I think that one came with projector optics, but forgot if it used H4s or H1/H7s...

Last edited by anandpadhye : 13th February 2014 at 15:58.
Old 13th February 2014, 17:55   #162
BHPian

Quote:
I don't care about LEDs, lip-sticks or any other cosmetics...
DRLs are not just meant for show off purpose, they do enhance the conspicuity of the vehicle during daylight conditions and has been mandated in the western world. Even in your perspective, most of the manufacturers are adding such "lip-stick-oid" features to lure the young buyers who would definitely consider such bits and pieces while choosing.

By the way, I suppose we shouldn't use multiple dots in the posts as per forum rules.

Last edited by Pferdestarke : 13th February 2014 at 18:00.
Old 13th February 2014, 20:37   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OK, so new headlights will use H1/H7 setup?
Actually that's what I have been thinking and was planning to ask on the lighting thread.
Are separate bulbs and barrels for high/low generally better than the common high/low (H4)? Laura uses H1/H7 and is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. Even the high beam which uses regular reflector is amazing. One other regular car which had amazing headlights was Palio Stile. I think that one came with projector optics, but forgot if it used H4s or H1/H7s...
Reflectors are the main difference. Reflectors in the low beam setup spreads the beam illuminating near field. Hi beam setup does not scatter light and only provides far field illumination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
DRLs are not just meant for show off purpose, they do enhance the conspicuity of the vehicle during daylight conditions and has been mandated in the western world. Even in your perspective, most of the manufacturers are adding such "lip-stick-oid" features to lure the young buyers who would definitely consider such bits and pieces while choosing.

By the way, I suppose we shouldn't use multiple dots in the posts as per forum rules.
You seem to be offended with some thing, which you don't need to be. Take it easy!

Anand was mentioning about LED DRL's which today is marketed as a very big feature.

I too do not give undue importance to so called "Bells and Whistles". All of us can all have our personal opinions and still work together!!

Last edited by Chethan B G : 13th February 2014 at 20:51.
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 23:32   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

@Pferdestarke, Polo (at least mine) has got pathetic headlights. Whether others are able see the Polo during daytime is important, no doubt, but it's more important that the Polo is able to see others during night.

@Chetan, even I think the reflectors are poorly designed in the Polo. But not sure if I understand what you said about high beam...In my case, the high beam scatters all over the place. The low beam has royal dark spots here and there. Phillips XtremeVision have mitigated the situation to some extent but they are no where near the Laura's headlamps that run on ordinary bulbs. Laura's headlamp design is optically superior. Even the high beam - which uses good old reflector, no fancy stuff!

BTW, I have nothing against DRLs or any other ornaments. But I just can't stand the cheap imitation jewellery like that on the i20
anandpadhye is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2014, 00:03   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Chetan, even I think the reflectors are poorly designed in the Polo. But not sure if I understand what you said about high beam...In my case, the high beam scatters all over the place. The low beam has royal dark spots here and there. Phillips XtremeVision have mitigated the situation to some extent but they are no where near the Laura's headlamps that run on ordinary bulbs. Laura's headlamp design is optically superior. Even the high beam - which uses good old reflector, no fancy stuff!
When a single barrel is used to provide both Hi and Lo beams, it is always a compromise WRT the design of the reflectors. Low beam will be designed to spread, but High beam has to project itself as far as possible - And both have to be accommodated in a single housing. This becomes a handicap during design.

When we talk about Twin Barrel, each barrel can be designed independently for Hi and Lo beams. This results in a far superior setup.

Philips XtremeVision bulbs will only improve brightness - But a lot depends on the reflectors, which channelise the beam.

Single barrel can only reduce cost!!
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks