Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2013, 15:26   #91
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Another question. Which one will you prefer among a "safely" remapped Swift D (generating ~100 bhp & ~250 Nm torque @ a 30% improvement over stock) or a Polo GT TDi ?

I understand the warranty part of it, but would like to understand where exactly does a Polo trump Swift if they had very similar power / torque figures. One area I know is build quality. Also the remap (on a Swift) will cost another 30K which will again be substantially cheaper to own than a Polo GTD.

How would you rate the below points (assuming both Swift D & Polo GTD has similar specs)?

1. Steering feedback
2. Cornering
3. Ride
3. Handling
Thanks for asking, swiftnfurious. I'd like to see people's opinions on these aspects too.

One more sorta-deal-breaker issue I found with the Polo GT TDi is driving position. I'm 6 feet 1 inch tall and -
- the Swift accommodated me with ease and the seats were fantasic too!
- even with the telescopic steering adjustment, I just could not find a good driving position after 10 minutes of trying .. Something for the tall ones to keep in mind.
etchemkay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2013, 15:35   #92
BANNED

Quote:
Which one will you prefer among a "safely" remapped Swift D (generating ~100 bhp & ~250 Nm torque @ a 30% improvement over stock) or a Polo GT TDi ?
I would prefer a Swift.

Quote:
I understand the warranty part of it, but would like to understand where exactly does a Polo trump Swift if they had very similar power / torque figures.
Because the power and Torque is developed in a stock set up. Just add the 1.6L MJD to the Swift and call it Swift RS MJD.

Quote:
How would you rate the below points (assuming both Swift D & Polo GTD has similar specs)?

1. Steering feedback
2. Cornering
3. Ride
3. Handling
All the 4 points the Swift wins hands down.

Anurag.
Old 13th November 2013, 17:08   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by etchemkay View Post
I'd like to see people's opinions on these aspects too.
I like swift diesel no doubt but, why i bought a Polo GT TDI over swift is for ENGINE alone.

Quote:
1. Steering feedback
Its perfect for me, no issues.
May be because i am running a wider tire.

Quote:
2. Cornering
3. Ride
3. Handling
These can be corrected with just a suspension upgrade like Biltstein B6.
I can upgrade suspension/brakes but upgrading engine for more power is not advisable for obvious reasons.

I would have bought Swift only if it had a 1.6 engine with similar bhp and torque figures.

To be fair enough you guys should compare remapped swift with remapped Polo gt tdi and not stock.

As somebody said "End of the day its a very personal decision. Every one has their own priorities, likes and dislikes, and beliefs."
Old 13th November 2013, 17:15   #94
BHPian

With the Polo GT TDi you are starting at a base of 105 BHP with a torque of 250 nm.
With a possible remap you are hitting figures of 135 WHP with a torque of 320 - 330 nm.

For a true enthusiast, the Polo GT TDi ticks and keeps the heart going.
Swift is no slouch but there is no need to over-evaluate it with its 1.3 MJD.

Once Swift comes with a 1.6 MJD, you have a true comparison in hand.
If you are counting the BHP figures and statistically arriving at the Swift because you saved a lakh more than the Polo GT TDI,
You are better off with the Swift as I am sure you would not enjoy the Polo GT TDI. The 1 lakh price difference would linger in your thoughts and hamper the fun of exploring a hot-hatch.

If you have a hot hatch, explore it the way it was meant.
Drive hard, explore its limits and have fun!

Having driven a Swift VDi extensively and had a lot of fun with it, I can say with confidence, the Polo GT TDi is of a different league.

It is amazing to drive
In gear acceleration is mind blowing
It would smoke circles around a Swift on twisties or on a highway (A remapped Polo to a remapped Swift)
raajks is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th November 2013, 17:47   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

OMG!! Guess the thread is diverting to places it should NOT be! The sole reason for my question to GTO was to get a totally un-biased view (from a non-owner of both cars) and also try to see whether engine is the ONLY advantage for Polo GT TDi or it's a whole package! The moment owners of either of these cars chip in, there is definitely some bias - and that's the reason why they chose these cars as a part of their garage in the first place.

Also the reason why I pointed a re-mapped Swift is to "logically" compare with the specs of Polo GT TDi. I will be happy if we keep the personal preferences part away for the discussion; the whole idea is to get feedback on a very product-to-product comparison.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 13th November 2013 at 17:50.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 14:44   #96
BHPian

Highway F.E.

Recently did highway run of 250*2=500 KMs on my GT TDI.

One the first leg of journey, I maintained speed of 100+ with occasionaly touching 140. I got FE of 20.4.

On the return leg, I did bit sensible driving and stayed in 90-100 range with few overtaking maneuver taking speed to 110. This time I was surprised to get FE of 22.8

This is as per Multi Information display. I am yet to calculate tankful to tankful average.
Old 14th November 2013, 15:04   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
This time I was surprised to get FE of 22.8
Don't be!

Here're the results of 2 recent trips on mine:

1. Surat-Ahmedabad-Surat (710 km)

Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review-2.jpg

2. Surat-Bombay-Surat (630 km)

Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review-1.jpg

We were averaging 90-100 kmph during both the journeys.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 13:43   #98
Team-BHP Support

Discounts and offers on the GT TDI already!

Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review-volkswagenpologttdi.jpg

Quote:
Offers available:

Free insurance for 3 years
Free 24X7 roadside assistance for 3 years
Free 3rd year extended warranty
3 Years maintenance package
Source: Motoroids
Old 15th November 2013, 14:12   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post

Attachment 1166434

I got the Rs.25,000 Cash discount on my purchase! Thanks to some A-level negotiations I was able to hear from other dealerships (well in advance) that they are now offering a Rs.25,000 cash discount, just before my loan was disbursed. I halted the loan processing procedure immediately, told my dealer that other dealers are already offering me the discount and he must do the same to prevent me pulling out my booking. And voila, I got it .. Final on-road for me was Rs.8.9 Lakhs plus the freebies Mats, Flaps & Cover, the VW keychain too :P (Panvel Reg.)
Old 15th November 2013, 14:13   #100
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1166434

Well once you buy anything except may be for a flat or plot , looking for the price is not going to bring smiles on your face . But then on the positive side, a good bargain for the ones who plans to buy it now.

On another note, I thought I will put some pics of my car after the tyre upgrade. Its Yoko S drive 205/55 R15 , paid 6200 per piece in Pune.
Bought it from Lokmanya tires, the price was the cheapest among the many I inquired. He even offered round about 2000 for my stock tires, as they were already run for around 2100 Kms. He suggested selling out in the open market will fetch more money for the tyres and I ended up selling the same in Olx for 12500 for a set of 4.

Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review-dsc_0177_tb.jpg
Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review-dsc_0170_tb.jpg
Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review-dsc_0168_tb.jpg
rejoycjohn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 23:39   #101
BHPian

Finally took a proper TD of the GT TDi today. Let's just say I was mighty impressed with the car. I've been contemplating whether to go for the GT or the Swift ZDi since a few days now. The TD I took today has definitely tipped the scales in the GT's favor.

I did notice an issue that I initially attributed to my utter lack of experience with diesel cars, but thought I would get clarification here before that - While driving at "city" speeds (less than 2000 rpm) in 1st or 2nd (even 3rd sometimes) gear, if I let go of the accelerator, the car jerked because of sudden deceleration .. almost as if I had hit the brakes (hard). Is this normal for diesels and/o for the GT TDi? Or was this some issue with the test car?

Apart from that, here are a few things that didn't impress (me) -
1. Steering feedback - the steering felt too light (ex-Palio owner) .. it was precise, but didn't really communicate. To what degree would an upgrade to 205/55r15s weight up the steering? Any difference in feedback to be expected?
2. Driving position - my initial tryst with the driving position on a TDi was a disappointment. But surprisingly, today I was quite comfortable while taking the TD. I still prefer the Swift's driver seat though.
3. The clutch release (disengagement) was "abrupt" and the lever jumped back at me .. probably something you need to get used to, I guess.
4. Rear visibility was extremely poor, especially with the IRVM and more so coming from an SX4.

Having said that, the car is a gem and I could become a proud owner soon .. now to get my finances in place!
etchemkay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 23:59   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by etchemkay View Post
While driving at "city" speeds (less than 2000 rpm) in 1st or 2nd (even 3rd sometimes) gear, if I let go of the accelerator, the car jerked because of sudden deceleration
Yes it does happen especially in the 2nd/3rd gear but the car doesn't jerk unless you leave the clutch too soon. If you floor the accelerator and take your foot off, the car would cruise for a brief while doing anywhere between 25-30 km/h for about 5-6 seconds and it slows down further. I think this may be attributed to the high torque of the diesel engine - I may be wrong here though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etchemkay
4. Rear visibility was extremely poor, especially with the IRVM and more so coming from an SX4.
Totally. The IRVM is useless and the rear seat head-restraints block the view. We may have to fix an aftermarket one that clips on to the existing one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etchemkay
I could become a proud owner soon .. now to get my finances in place!
Best of luck and congrats in advance! Looking forth for the ownership thread.
Old 16th November 2013, 11:02   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Best of luck and congrats in advance! Looking forth for the ownership thread.
Sure. But it's going to be nowhere near as detailed as yours, Gannu. Fantastic job on your ownership thread!
Old 16th November 2013, 12:14   #104
Senior - BHPian

GT TDI Pune.

I've just been given a quote of 9.41L for the GT TDI.
Discount of 25k will be Subtracted from this.

What quotes have others got and what are the details of the discounts?
Also the insurance and warranty offer is valid only for VW finance.
Old 16th November 2013, 13:02   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
GT TDI Pune.

I've just been given a quote of 9.41L for the GT TDI.
Discount of 25k will be Subtracted from this.

What quotes have others got and what are the details of the discounts?
Also the insurance and warranty offer is valid only for VW finance.
Just to clarify .. you get the 25K cash discount only if you do NOT opt for the VW finance scheme.

Here's some additional information I found out -
5600 - is the cost of the 3rd year RSA if you take it separately
8500 - is the cost of the 3rd + 4th year extended warranty (whether the GT TDi is eligible is something the SA is going to get back to me about)
11.68 % - is the interest rate for a VW finance 5 year loan
11.60 % - is the interest rate for a VW finance 3 year loan
80-85% - is the typical %age of the OTR price that can be loaned from VW finance
34000 - is roughly the insurance amount for the 1st year comprehensive insurance (Bajaj Allianz tie-up) provided under the scheme
7500 - is the approximate amount you have to pay extra to convert your insurance to a zero-dep one

I also called up Bajaj Allianz and got an insurance quote from them for a November 2012 registered VW Polo GT TDi (approx amounts below for IDV of 7.45L) -
31400 - for a comprehensive policy
37500 - for a zero-dep policy with "engine shield"

So, as per my findings, if I don't go for the VW scheme, a comparative cost for the same feature-set would be -

9,40,000 OTR
less 25000 cash discount in lieu of the VW scheme
less 34000 insurance amount as calculated by VW in the OTR
add 31400 insurance taken separately
add 5600 for the 3rd year RSA
add 4000 for the 3rd year extended warranty (mind you, my figure of 8500 from before was for both 3rd and 4th years)
-----------------
equals 922000
-----------------

But wait, there's more .. the loan -

18000 is the minimum difference (between VW and SBI loans) in total interest paid over 5 years .. details below

for a loan of 7L for 5 years @ 11.68% p.a (VW finance scheme)
- the total interest amount you pay would be 2.18L
- with no (or at least not easy and/or free) pre-payment and foreclosure

for a loan of 7L for 5 years @ 10.75% p.a (SBI car loan)
- the total interest amount you pay would be 2.00L
- with no-charge pre-payments (after the 1st year, I think) and no-charge foreclosure (need to confirm) .. this option would probably save you a TON of money if you think you can repay more than the EMI amount every so often

FYI - I recently received a pamphlet from IDBI bank that mentioned a fixed 10.25% car loan for 3 years for eligible customers. I will find out more as my salary account is in IDBI.

Finally, if my calculations are correct, I think going for the VW scheme is not advisable. Folks, please correct me if any data or calculations above seem incorrect.

Last edited by etchemkay : 16th November 2013 at 13:16.
etchemkay is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks