Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2014, 15:11   #241
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review

Had narrowed down to GT TDI as a replacement for the 2007 Alto (my first car).

The speculation of a 1.5l (or 1.4l) to be launched in May is harrowing me.

How strong are these speculations? Is 1.4 really going to better the current 1.6 TDI? (I am looking at a GT TDI to be high on its fun-to-ride quotient, as its going to be self driven and mostly used for my long daily commutes). Would a step down to 1.4 dampen that promise?

And then of course the risks of buying a soon-to-be-shelved model (if i decide to buy the current 1.6l).

Oracles to opine please

Last edited by inomad : 10th April 2014 at 15:27.
Old 10th April 2014, 15:40   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inomad View Post
How strong are these speculations? Is 1.4 really going to better the current 1.6 TDI? (I am looking at a GT TDI to be high on its fun-to-ride quotient, as its going to be self driven and mostly used for my long daily commutes). Would a step down to 1.4 dampen that promise?
Well, I am exactly in the same boat as you, waiting for the facelift. There are quite a few spy pics of the facelifted polo floating over the web which evinces the fact. Most of the speculations have been hinting about 1.5 albeit a few have mentioned about 1.4 but none of them sounded valid. Follow this thread for more updates. It is very likely to be launched in May.
Pferdestarke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 16:08   #243
BHPian

a May launch would be just around the corner. but too many speculations regarding the new specs ... 1.5/1.4 3 cyl ...

the 1.6 is a proven engine... but if it is going to be discontinued from Vento as well, then there might be risk of replacement parts going forward.
Old 10th April 2014, 16:23   #244
BHPian

Quote:
the 1.6 is a proven engine... but if it is going to be discontinued from Vento as well, then there might be risk of replacement parts going forward.
Yes, indeed. Hence I suggest you to wait for a while and let's hope the wait proves worthy. On the upside, 1.5 in a Polo would make it derive excise benefits without any compromise in performance.
Old 10th April 2014, 17:46   #245
BHPian

^^I was having the same thoughts as you guys a couple of weeks back but instead of waiting, I went ahead and bought the current model GT TDI (as mentioned in the last post on the previous page ). I did not have the patience to wait and moreover none of the new features in the facelift were really appealing to me. One more thing that made me get the current model was the rumor that the facelift GT TDI might come with the DSG gearbox, and I absolutely wanted a manual.
Old 10th April 2014, 18:05   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

How strong are these speculations? Is 1.4 really going to better the current 1.6 TDI? ...
You live only once! If it were me, I would have gone ahead and bought the 1.6L itself. Why to take a downsized engine just to save some cash?! If it's a sports car (by Indian standards), then better have the proper version!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 10th April 2014 at 18:07.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 11:23   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells_Fury View Post
^^I was having the same thoughts as you guys a couple of weeks back but instead of waiting, I went ahead and bought the current model GT TDI (as mentioned in the last post on the previous page ). I did not have the patience to wait and moreover none of the new features in the facelift were really appealing to me. One more thing that made me get the current model was the rumor that the facelift GT TDI might come with the DSG gearbox, and I absolutely wanted a manual.
i saw the facelift images... felt a sense of loss rather than a design improvisation. Its almost like VW is slowly abandoning its clean minimalist looks, to look more like others (read Ford). I see what you meant by the facelift didn't appeal you.
Old 13th April 2014, 00:27   #248
BHPian

Quote:

And then of course the risks of buying a soon-to-be-shelved model (if i decide to buy the current 1.6l).
The thought of replacing the old car with a GT TDi is indeed a very good one.
With respect to the speculations, definitely there is a face-lift that is going to come this year around May -June. Rumors say it will be 1.5 India spec one, however from when the new Polo was launched internationally I was keeping my bet on the 1.4 L one and I still stand by it. In my opinion there is no point VW doing an India spec engine- the costs involved in the R&D and testing just don't make any financial sense.

Anyway moving on, my thoughts - As we are already in April I think its a good idea to wait if you don't have an issue with the changes in the new Polo. Infact I quite like it, the new headlight, the front and rear bumpers do look good. They aren't ruining the look of the car anyway. May be there will be a DRL instead of the fog lamps and may be an LED tail light ? I dream a lot. But there is a chance, lets keep it that way.
I don't think you should worry about a 3 pot engine. I have heard that BMW is going to develop a 1.5L 3 cyl engine to power their cars.
The new 1.4 engine is a brand new one, engineered and designed by VW worldwide and I am sure that as they are going to launch it in various tunes their engineers would have done their home work and the bosses would have made them test it again and again.

If I were you, I would have waited. I don't think they will put a DSG in the GT TDi - something in me makes me say so.

Anyway while on the topic of GT TDi, I did a small wrap on mine.
Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review-img_20140412_211348.jpg
Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review-img_20140412_211559.jpg
rejoycjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2014, 20:15   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Took delivery of my flash red GT TDI on Friday 4th April from Apple Volkswagen, Whitefield. This comes 3 weeks after we bought a highline petrol polo from the same dealer.

The petrol will go to my parents while I will drive the GT I was quite impressed with the Polo after driving the petrol (which I used daily for 3 weeks), the only thing that I felt was lacking is power. So for me it boiled down to either the GT TSI or the GT TDI when the time came. My main reason for picking the GT TDI is that I wanted a manual gearbox. In fact, I didn't even take a test drive of the car before I took delivery. I have done a little over a 100 KM so far and things are settling down with the car. Initially I felt the gears to be a little tight but it seems to have loosened up a bit now. Shifting from reverse to first is still a bit tight though. I have only driven it in the city so far but will be doing a highway run soon enough.

I have done the following to the car so far:
1. Headlight bulbs changed to Osram NightBreaker Unlimited 55/60.
2. Tires changed to Yokohama S-Drives 205/55R15
3. 3M paint sealant, under chassis coating
4. 3M CR-70 sun film for the front wind screen only
5. Changed the stock speakers to Focal integration series components in front and coaxial at the back in stock location

I want to upgrade the head unit too but the only thing that is stopping me is that the steering controls will no longer work if I do.
Congrats and welcome to the almost in-existent club of Polo GT TDi Owners

I'm looking for a tire change in my GT. So, it would be great if you can let me know the price of the tires/alloys, shop you went for the same and the alloys make. I might go in for a Michelin though.

I had visited 3M shortly after the purchase and they said that the under body coating for GT is not required. How much did it work out totally ? The one in Basaveshwaranagara is quoting 4.7k + taxes

And did you get an amplifier installed too? I've got an Infinity Kappa comps in front and Infinity Kappa co-axials in the rear with an Infinity Kappa 4 amplifier.

If you want to change the HU, then I'd recommend the Blaupunkt Phildelphia 835 which I'm using it myself and is very good at its job.
Kanasu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 16:46   #250
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT reply to posts using bold text within a quoted post, as it leads to visual discomfort for readers. Additionally, it's inconvenient to quote & reply to such a post.

For the correct way to quote, please see this thread. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanasu View Post
Congrats and welcome to the almost in-existent club of Polo GT TDi Owners
Thank you!!

Quote:
I'm looking for a tire change in my GT. So, it would be great if you can let me know the price of the tires/alloys, shop you went for the same and the alloys make. I might go in for a Michelin though.
I only upgraded the tires, alloys are stock. I exchanged 4 of the stock Apollo Acceleres for the Yokohamas. Cost me Rs. 3,000/- per tire. Got the tires at Sai Iyengar and Sons, Indiranagar.

Quote:
I had visited 3M shortly after the purchase and they said that the under body coating for GT is not required. How much did it work out totally ? The one in Basaveshwaranagara is quoting 4.7k + taxes
I don't really remember the individual break-up, sorry. Total bill came to around 15k for the paint sealant, under-chassis coating and the sun-film. This is after a 10% discount.

Quote:
And did you get an amplifier installed too? I've got an Infinity Kappa comps in front and Infinity Kappa co-axials in the rear with an Infinity Kappa 4 amplifier.
Nope, no amp as of now, will get one fitted at a later point of time.

Quote:
If you want to change the HU, then I'd recommend the Blaupunkt Phildelphia 835 which I'm using it myself and is very good at its job.
Thanks for the recommendation but the Philadelphia is way out of my budget currently. Maybe a couple of months down the line if nothing else works out.

Last edited by GTO : 25th April 2014 at 14:35. Reason: Quoting the right way
Hells_Fury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 14:36   #251
BHPian

Guys,
From what i can make out the facelift looks more like different bumpers and and lights.

Am in the market looking for a replacement for figo and am quite drawn to the polo GT Tdi.

The only thing that really interests me in the new facelift spy images are the double barrel head lamps (hopefully might be better). I understand that the current headlamp set up in the polo is not the best, esp. on our highways.

Would it be possible to retrofit the headlamps from the facelift polo to the existing model or is it going to be a problem with the connectors?

Am already on talks with the local VW dealer and the best discount on offer for a 2014 VIN is 15k with a 2-3 week delivery period. Is the offer good and should i seriously wait for the facelift?
Old 22nd April 2014, 15:27   #252
Distinguished - BHPian

Maybe you should wait for the facelift so you can get an even better discount on the old model?
Old 23rd April 2014, 03:46   #253
BHPian

If you can wait for few more months then you can wait for the facelift to launch. The facelift will definitely bring the prices down, but you must be certain not to miss out the old stock as they get cleared out faster than expected. So, you have to be on constant touch with the VW SA. Also, we cannot be sure if the prices will go down or not with the 1.5l(or 1.4l) newer engine and VW is going to pass it on to the customers or not.

On the other hand, 15k cash discount is a good option which you can negotiate to 20k. If the facelift features are not extensive, then you can consider buying it now itself. You can always upgrade the bulbs though with a better one.

Quote:
Please find my comments inline
Thanks for the quotes. I really do insist on getting an amp at the earliest. It makes a lot of difference in the sound output and will definitely bring out best from the new speakers.

I would also recommend the 3M mats if you have not got it installed already. They do a very good job of keeping the dirt and very easy to clean too.

And how good is the ride after the tyre change. Is the wide rubber adversely affecting the ride in any way ? Is it more comfortable ? I believe the GC is also decreased now. Does it affect the way you tackle the humps ? I was thinking of going for a 195 instead of 205.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 23rd April 2014 at 08:32. Reason: merging posts. Please use edit option within 30mins.
Old 23rd April 2014, 08:50   #254
BHPian

Quote:
I would also recommend the 3M mats if you have not got it installed already. They do a very good job of keeping the dirt and very easy to clean too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post
I have also got the black(cheap) rubber mats as the compulsory accessory(I had to pay around 3K for mats and mud guard) from the VW.

I wanted to change it to Kagu Maxpider 3D mats which retails for around 5.5K. After some research found that I could get Star 3D mats for around 2.4K http://www.carmatsindia.com/product_...or_mats_88.htm. Bought the same.

These mats are easy to clean, fits pretty nicely, and also has couple of metal strips on the driver side mat(which matches the GT TSi sporty pedals). I am not sure about the durability of this mat because I have used this only for last 15 days.
I have been using these for last 5 months, and I am happy with the quality of these.
Old 23rd April 2014, 16:31   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the quotes. I really do insist on getting an amp at the earliest. It makes a lot of difference in the sound output and will definitely bring out best from the new speakers.

And how good is the ride after the tyre change. Is the wide rubber adversely affecting the ride in any way ? Is it more comfortable ? I believe the GC is also decreased now. Does it affect the way you tackle the humps ? I was thinking of going for a 195 instead of 205.
3M floor mats are definitely on the cards. Just waiting for the month to end.

The wider tires are not affecting the ride quality at all. The ride has become slightly bumpier but I have absolutely no complaints. Have to play around with different tire pressures and check the results. Currently all tires are inflated to 32 PSI as recommended by the dealer. GC has actually increased, check the attached image. 205/55R15 is the ideal upsize since the variance with stock is just .58% whereas for 195/60R15 the variance is almost 2%.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review-compare.png  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks