Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2014, 16:13   #3376
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM97 View Post
Quick update - took delivery of my White VX CVT yesterday.
Hey Congrats mate! I too am planning for the same. Couple of quick queries - Does VX CVT still come with paddle shifters and foot well lights? Someone told me cost cutting is forcing Honda for some cuts. Whitefield Honda guy (in Bangalore) was not 100% sure, Honda website mentions nothing and the call centre employees have no idea about the features in their car. :banghead:
Old 21st December 2014, 20:12   #3377
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM97 View Post
Quick update - took delivery of my White VX CVT yesterday.
Congrats PM97.

Please do post your initial ownership report. There are not many for VX CVT though I think there are many owning VX CVT (If I am not wrong - bookr, adarsh76, chatto63). I have seen reports for SV CVT from neel911 and aditto and following them. Thanks.
Old 21st December 2014, 23:51   #3378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshVShrotriya View Post
Hey Congrats mate! I too am planning for the same. Couple of quick queries - Does VX CVT still come with paddle shifters and foot well lights? Someone told me cost cutting is forcing Honda for some cuts. Whitefield Honda guy (in Bangalore) was not 100% sure, Honda website mentions nothing and the call centre employees have no idea about the features in their car. :banghead:

Harsh, VX CVT has paddle shifters but no lights for the footwell. Lights are an accessory that you could add to any model. My VX CVT is 10 months old now (having taken delivery in Feb) and is doing well. I am on my stock Michelin tyres and get an average FE of about 12-14 in mixed traffic. The buttery smoothness of Honda's iVtec which they keep refining with every gen is a delight along with the new gen CVT- TC combo type AT.
outdoorlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2014, 06:44   #3379
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
Harsh, VX CVT has paddle shifters but no lights for the footwell. Lights are an accessory that you could add to any model. My VX CVT is 10 months old now (having taken delivery in Feb) and is doing well. I am on my stock Michelin tyres and get an average FE of about 12-14 in mixed traffic. The buttery smoothness of Honda's iVtec which they keep refining with every gen is a delight along with the new gen CVT- TC combo type AT.
The mileage figures are awesome considering the ease that this car offers!
Old 22nd December 2014, 10:29   #3380

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshVShrotriya View Post
Thanks!! The VX CVT does come with the paddle shifters and its awesome to drive with it & have a bit more control/power when needed. Are you referring to the illuminated CITY scuff boards on the door.? It does not come with it or the footwell lights. I had the illuminated scuff boards installed at the dealer for INR 5500 and again no discounts mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
Congrats PM97.

Please do post your initial ownership report. There are not many for VX CVT though I think there are many owning VX CVT (If I am not wrong - bookr, adarsh76, chatto63). I have seen reports for SV CVT from neel911 and aditto and following them. Thanks.
Simhi, I have to say that the ownership report by neel911 covers everything you have to know about the City CVT. I don't think I can add anything more valuable to neel911 review.

The VX CVT is a feature rich package, the additional things that the VX has are
1. Smart entry key system - absolutely love it, you don't have to take out your key from your pocket/handbag
2. One push engine start/stop button - always wanted one, nice to have..
3. Keyless trunk opening - I have no idea why Honda did not include this feature in other trim levels, I find it very useful when your hands are full with groceries..
4. paddle shifters for the CVT - I am having fun driving with the paddle shifters, the city unleashes so much power in the sports mode with paddle shifting that you have to be a bit careful racing ahead on the signal turning green.
4. Alloy wheels/leather upholstery/sunroof - the additional niceties that one can have after market (except for the sunroof), but doubt if the fit and finish will ever match the OEM build.

All in all, I am happy for the features I have on the VX CVT after shelling out 2 lakh plus on the SV trim.

Last edited by moralfibre : 22nd December 2014 at 13:05. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 24th December 2014, 20:55   #3381
BHPian

An update on my car. Had 2nd service done today from Deccan Honda in Pune, was a bit worried about the engine noise. The service advisor was happy to show me another car of same trim and asked me to judge the same. Car delivered on time. Zero bill again, for the last time...☺
No niggles with the car, still going strong. Few scratches though. I am trying to find a good workshop for the touch up. Any ideas for touch up of scratches?
Old 24th December 2014, 21:36   #3382
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight.rider View Post
An update on my car. Had 2nd service done today from Deccan Honda in Pune, was a bit worried about the engine noise. The service advisor was happy to show me another car of same trim and asked me to judge the same. Car delivered on time. Zero bill again, for the last time...☺
No niggles with the car, still going strong. Few scratches though. I am trying to find a good workshop for the touch up. Any ideas for touch up of scratches?
Could you give feedback on ground clearance of the new city?
Old 24th December 2014, 22:31   #3383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
Could you give feedback on ground clearance of the new city?
Pretty good compared to previous Gen - In fact, the ground clearance is more or less the same but they have increased chasis stiffness so car does not bottom out. In the last 8 months or so of driving, I had scrapped only once on a speed breaker and that is more because I did not see it on time.
Old 25th December 2014, 07:56   #3384
BHPian

@abhjain
Don't need to worry about ground clearance. Nothing can easily scrape it. Just take an angle approach. But then the downside is stiffer ride at low speeds and planted like a tank at expressway speeds. Doesnt matter at all. The whole package is awesome.
Old 26th December 2014, 08:36   #3385
BANNED

Ownership review - 7 months

Hi Guys,

I started using my SV MT ivtec in May and though the overall experience has been pretty awesome, the car does have a few nagging issues... Let me try to put the pluses and minuses as simple bullet points

What is good

1. Driving is sheer pleasure
2. Seats are very comfortable and under-thigh and lumbar support are fabulous
3. Seat height adjustment has let me pick the most comfortable position for me (5ft 8 inch average Indian)
4. Powerful engine lets you surge ahead on Green leaving the traffic behind.. sheer thrill...
5. Excellent all round visibility
6. Gear throws are precise and the clutch is effortless
7. Handling at slow speeds and higher speeds is equally precise with accurate feedback
8. Does not tire you out one little bit - I drove from Thiruvananthapuram to Ernakulam and back the same day and there was no significant driving induced fatigue.
9. Has decent sheet metal strength... got into a couple of minor taps on the road but has come out unscathed.
10. Air conditioning is excellent and the rear AC vents are a blessing as the cabin is huge.
11. Large roomy cabin makes long drives a pleasure even with 4 adults and 2 kids.
12. SOLID on highways.... feels firmly planted even at 120 kmph
13. Excellent mileage on highways ... easily returns 18 kmpl. Mileage in city traffic is between 12 and 13 kmpl.
14. Overall fabulous value for money... cannot ask for more.

Areas of concern

1. There is a nagging sound as if there is a panel loose that keeps coming when the car runs over undulations on the road.. appears to be from within the B pillar on the left or the rear door panels on the left. My dealer (Perfect Honda) has been unable to correct it in 1st service as well as 2nd service ... 3rd service due today.

2. After 7 months on the road, there panel noises from within the dashboard ( my glove box is empty), and from somewhere behind the rear seat back-rest even when my car runs over regular minor undulations so common to Indian road surfaces.

3. Since the last couple of weeks, there is a noise from the front right wheel while turning... not like the half-shaft sound in a Maruti when the shaft has worn out, but something more like tok-tok-tok and then its gone.

4. Steering suddenly acts funny for a micro-second as if it really does not want to turn and then it works normally.

I am sending her in for the third service today and will post the outcome on a later date...

To be honest, driving the City has been sheer pleasure so far and I am so glad I chose the City over its competitors...
blueinkbottle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2014, 12:43   #3386
BANNED

Hi Guys,

Got a call from Perfect Honda that the rear left shock absorber assembly was causing one of the noises mentioned in my earlier post and that they have replaced the entire unit under warranty..

This has left me worried... my car had a change in alternator belt due to noise during first service and now this...

Hey Honda... are you guys getting lax due to delivery pressure?!!!!

Just curious to know whether my fellow owners are facing any similar issues?

Regards,

K7K
blueinkbottle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2014, 22:32   #3387
BHPian

Has anyone installed HID bulbs to the new 2014 city? If yes, what is the power rating of the bulbs? Do the bulbs really make a difference in terms of visibility or are they only for enhancing the looks of the car?
Old 29th December 2014, 11:51   #3388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitgovil2311 View Post
Hey Thanks a lot for the suggestion. It did work for me as well, but wasn't sufficient to eliminate the smell completely. But it certainly helped in bringing it out to acceptable levels.

Same issue what I had been talking about as well. Am glad to know you have figured out the cure. But am still not very sure about lowering the glove box part. Can you help with pics to support? (5 year old kids are way too smart these days after all )
Hi Sumit,

My apologies for a late response as I was away for a vacation.

For accessing the cabin air filter you can follow the instructions given in this video:

Although this video is for an Accord but the procedure and the construction of the glove-box is identical. You just need to squeeze the top portion of the glove-box which supports its weight when in the open position. Please let me know if you would like me to get the actual photos from my City which I am trying to avoid because I am too lazy to go down to the parking after a non-stop 750 KM drive from Goa to Bangalore :-)

I think it will be a good idea for you to check the condition of your cabin air-filter for any leaves or insect residues. I was shocked to find few rat droppings(yes rat droppings) in the air filter. I got suspicious and after some under bonnet inspection I found that a rat had chewed through a plastic covering which covers the passage of some wires into the cabin. Thankfully the rat did'nt chew/cut the wires. Although it seems it has definitely scrapped one or two of them. For now I have slipped in a naphthalene ball (I am not sure if it works but the people on internet say it keeps the rats away) into the gap and have sealed it with a tape. Will check with Honda for a replacement the next time I visit them.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-image-1.jpg  

CapnCook is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2014, 12:29   #3389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCook View Post
Although this video is for an Accord but the procedure and the construction of the glove-box is identical. You just need to squeeze the top portion of the glove-box which supports its weight when in the open position. Please let me know if you would like me to get the actual photos from my City which I am trying to avoid because I am too lazy to go down to the parking after a non-stop 750 KM drive from Goa to Bangalore :-)

I think it will be a good idea for you to check the condition of your cabin air-filter for any leaves or insect residues. I was shocked to find few rat droppings(yes rat droppings) in the air filter. I got suspicious and after some under bonnet inspection I found that a rat had chewed through a plastic covering which covers the passage of some wires into the cabin. Thankfully the rat did'nt chew/cut the wires. Although it seems it has definitely scrapped one or two of them. For now I have slipped in a naphthalene ball (I am not sure if it works but the people on internet say it keeps the rats away) into the gap and have sealed it with a tape. Will check with Honda for a replacement the next time I visit them.
I was able to clean the air-filter. Checked out a couple of videos on You-Tube to understand the process. And yes, once cleaned, I finally got rid of that annoying smell. Baking soda came to rescue here.

Shocked to see what rats have done to your car here. Fortunately, the wires are intact. There must be some better way to keep off rats. I am not too hopeful that naphthalene balls would be a sufficient measure. Will try to check for some better solution, if I come across one will update here for sure.
Old 29th December 2014, 12:38   #3390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
The mileage figures are awesome considering the ease that this car offers!
Exactly. Had a long trip close to 550 kms inside Kerala. Close to 400 kms in two lane roads, 100 kms in 4 lane roads and remaining narrow roads. The average FE is 13.5 kms/l. Highest displayed on MID was 15.5 kms/l.

Why the figures are awesome is because the 400 km journey in two lane roads had a lot of bumper to bumper traffic, car fully loaded with 5 passengers and a full boot with heavy items. Probably the gross weight of the car during this trip was the maximum permissible (1460 kgs).

Another amazing factor, no shortage of power even with this full weight in high speeds. Just a slight shortage of power felt when taken from idle in slopes. Never used 'S' mode. The drive was completely in 'D'.

The ride with cruise control mode set at 80 km/h in Cherthala - Cochin 4 lane road was awesome. Could use it only for about 10 kms though. I envy the CVT owners at other states. You guys have really good highways.

Last edited by adarsh76 : 29th December 2014 at 12:42.

Most Viewed