Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2014, 22:29   #3361
Team-BHP Support

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitgovil2311 View Post
A strange issue. i had not been using the AC in my car since last 3-4 weeks. This week I brought it into use.

Everytime that I switch on the AC for some time and then switch it off, I get a very bad stench from the blower ducts. As if some rotten animal. I used to get this smell earlier also, during summers, but that was very feeble. Now the smell has increased and now it's getting unbearable to the extent that I spray freshener before driving.

A local mechanic suggested me to get the entire AC assembly opened at Honda service center and ask them to check for dead rat or something of that sort. But I doubt it that really is the problem. This smell has been there since start. I bought this car in Feb'14. I never bothered for this smell, but once in a while some occasional co-traveller used to complaint. Now smell has increased and so I can also make it out.

Any suggestions or ideas? Please help.
Switching on the heater is a simple method you could try. Also 3M car care has an a/c duct cleaning treatment available. This is actually a very common problem. An easy way to prevent it is to switch off the compressor few minutes before you park the car overnight.
Old 13th December 2014, 20:39   #3362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
I've got some quotes for Insurance Renewal which is due in end of Jan. I've got the Honda Assure Quote for ICICI Insurance and non Honda assure from Bharti AXA. This is for the Honda City V MT i-DTEC.

1. Honda Assure (ICICI) > 22786 (Zero Depreciation)
2. Honda Assure (ICICI) > 15771 (Comprehensive)
3. Bharti AXA > 13059 (Comprehensive)
4. Bharti AXA > 17396 (Zero Depreciation)

Looking for advice here to choose the right insurance for renewal on my iDTEC.
Over 5K difference between Honda Assure and Non Honda Assure - is it worth it?
Hello
I would still strongly recommend you to go for Honda Assure one. Even though its costly it will give you a lost of peace of mind.
I would have chosen Honda Assure one if I would have been at your place.
Regards
Harpreet
harpreetsubhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 12:28   #3363
BHPian

The small section of slotted plastic cover above the 12V socket , Aux and Usb port is used for the export vehicles' HDMI port as they get an AVN (audio video Navigator) system on the VX variant whereas in India you don't get that (cost cutting move).

Also note that the run weatherstrip on the door is unconventionally designed (half lies on the door rest lies on the body),The rear doors have two ugly looking screws on the place where a conventional weather strip would have otherwise covered. Don't exactly know why Honda did this ,but the thing isn't sealed and resembles to that of an open hose, hence will accumulate dust in it.
Rev_That_V8 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 12:34   #3364
BHPian

Hey guys. Just completed my first 10,000 KMs as a driver few days back in my 2014 i-VTEC SV MT. I kind of ended up surprising even myself by driving this much in just under 7 months.

I am glad that I bought this car and except for few initial niggles, my ride has been very smooth. Since this is my first car and I literally learnt how to drive in it, I am very thankful for it being so forgiving :-) . There has not been even a single mechanical failure or any problem whatsoever, not even a tire puncture. My trip-meter says that the fuel economy for the past 5700 KMs of driving in the maniac Bangalore b2b traffic is 12.6 KMpl. Which in my books is good enough. On highways though I easily get around 17.5 KMpl consistently.

But few days back I started noticing some foul smell coming from the A/C. So I checked few videos on YouTube on how to clean the cabin air filter. As I found out, it is so easy to do that even a 5 year old kid can do it. You can see it's condition in the attached file. Cabin air filter is located just behind the glove-box and can be reached by lowering the glove box further by removing latches on the either side. No need of any screwdriver or any other tool. I just washed the air filter with a detergent, dried it and sprinkled some baking soda (yes you read it right) on it before fitting it back. During my research I found out that baking soda can cure even the most foul of smells in a car.

Happy Motoring,
CapnCook
Attached Thumbnails
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_20141206_101924.jpg  

CapnCook is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 17:31   #3365
BHPian

Quote:
I too have experienced the same. As you said, sound seems to be coming from somewhere in the center, as if some nut screw has come out and is constantly vibrating. Very annoying.
Service guys say that it is not worth opening the entire dash to fix this sound, as it takes lot of effort and may in process cause some other such issues. So, if you can, please bear.
But I just cannot live with it, and am currently clueless upon what to do about it.
This is fixed, plastic cover below the windscreen was loose and this was making noise.
Old 17th December 2014, 07:23   #3366
BHPian

Hey everyone. Now that the weather is getting cold, we tend to set the heating system on. I am using a climate control for the first time. Should the temp settings be put on heating and the auto air conditioning turned on? Will it be damaging the system?
Old 17th December 2014, 14:42   #3367
BHPian

click sound when turning steering wheel

One observation on my car. Not sure if it was there from beginning.

When I turn the steering wheel either to the left or right with turn signal indicator on there is a slight clicking sound. The click sound is heard once and sometimes twice.

I called up the service center, and they told me it's a normal behavior. It's some sort of relay switching which causes the sound. Also, he said some cars will have more sound and some less to none.

Is anyone noticing this sound? Can this be considered as normal?
Old 17th December 2014, 15:39   #3368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Happens when mold grows on the evaporator core because the AC wasn't used for a long time and there was no air flow.

Turn on the blower, turn off recirculation mode (so the car draws air from the outside), increase the temperature to the highest setting and let the heated air flow through the vents for sometime. See if this helps.

It is not a dead animal as the stink worsens because of the rotting corpse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Switching on the heater is a simple method you could try. Also 3M car care has an a/c duct cleaning treatment available. This is actually a very common problem. An easy way to prevent it is to switch off the compressor few minutes before you park the car overnight.
Hey Thanks a lot for the suggestion. It did work for me as well, but wasn't sufficient to eliminate the smell completely. But it certainly helped in bringing it out to acceptable levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCook View Post
But few days back I started noticing some foul smell coming from the A/C. So I checked few videos on YouTube on how to clean the cabin air filter. As I found out, it is so easy to do that even a 5 year old kid can do it. You can see it's condition in the attached file. Cabin air filter is located just behind the glove-box and can be reached by lowering the glove box further by removing latches on the either side. No need of any screwdriver or any other tool. I just washed the air filter with a detergent, dried it and sprinkled some baking soda (yes you read it right) on it before fitting it back. During my research I found out that baking soda can cure even the most foul of smells in a car.
Same issue what I had been talking about as well. Am glad to know you have figured out the cure. But am still not very sure about lowering the glove box part. Can you help with pics to support? (5 year old kids are way too smart these days after all )
Old 17th December 2014, 19:21   #3369
BHPian

Quote:
Same issue what I had been talking about as well. Am glad to know you have figured out the cure. But am still not very sure about lowering the glove box part. Can you help with pics to support? (5 year old kids are way too smart these days after all )
Agree. A few pictures with brief descriptions will be really helpful.
Old 17th December 2014, 22:03   #3370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrrooommm View Post
This is fixed, plastic cover below the windscreen was loose and this was making noise.
Congratulations!!
I am heading to Honda Service station tomorrow morning itself. Its good to have a hope after all.
Old 17th December 2014, 23:11   #3371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight.rider View Post
Hey everyone. Now that the weather is getting cold, we tend to set the heating system on. I am using a climate control for the first time. Should the temp settings be put on heating and the auto air conditioning turned on? Will it be damaging the system?

Relax, the good thing with auto climate control is that all you've to do is set your desired cabin temperature and the system automatically turns on cooling or heating depending on the ambient temperature. So, there is no worrying about whether to turn on cooling or heating anymore :-)
outdoorlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2014, 03:22   #3372
BHPian

Reviving an old topic to close the loop & end the speculation if still lingering in anyone's minds (just like me).

Please find the inlet of the air intake below , it is safely located at the top of the grill just underneath the bonnet. Also if we carefully observe there is a metal plate as well to cover the intake to avoid any water getting in through the bonnet gaps (in case).

Hence now it is assured that we should not be having any engine clogging issues in the City due to water ingress through the air intake so we can be free from any worry that was seeded our minds due to issues noticed in the Amaze with the same IDTec engine.

The second picture shows the exact direction of the air flow from the air intake through the air filter to the engine block.

I found this information from the below thread on a different forum posted by a City IDTec owner , he also mentioned that you can feel the opening by pushing your finger in the gap. ( May be the owners on this forum can confirm as well)

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/fo...-brown-10.html

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-air-intake-1.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-air-intake-2.jpg

Cheers,
pdma.

Last edited by pdma : 18th December 2014 at 03:30.
pdma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2014, 13:49   #3373
BHPian

Re: Honda City: Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
One observation on my car. Not sure if it was there from beginning.

When I turn the steering wheel either to the left or right with turn signal indicator on there is a slight clicking sound. The click sound is heard once and sometimes twice.

I called up the service center, and they told me it's a normal behavior. It's some sort of relay switching which causes the sound. Also, he said some cars will have more sound and some less to none.

Is anyone noticing this sound? Can this be considered as normal?
Friends, can anyone please provide your observation. This happens in my Wagon R too, so guessing it's common for all cars. Just thought of confirming with you all.

In city driving, I got the highest ever FE (16.7 kms/l) displayed in MID today morning with A/C set at 25 degs and 2 people on board. The 16 km stretch of driving had about 2 kms of bumper to bumper traffic towards the end of journey and the remaining were acceptable traffic conditions. The value finally settled at 12.7 kms/l.

I had increased the tyre pressure (35 psi front and 33 psi rear) which is suggested by Honda for driving over 160 km/h.

Last edited by adarsh76 : 18th December 2014 at 13:51.
Old 20th December 2014, 22:58   #3374
BHPian

Has anybody tried the auto folding of mirror on switching off the car mod at dealer end? I've asked my dealer. He is not sure about it. Initial threads gave out that this is a minor mod possible at the dealer probably. Pl advice if anybody has got it done.
Old 21st December 2014, 11:56   #3375

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM97 View Post
Mine is a Petrol VX CVT. I thought Honda would be manufacturing the vehicles based on the bookings received from dealers around the country. The only logical explanation I have for the delay of your car is probably the color choice and trim level that requires something not in their stock..
Quick update - took delivery of my White VX CVT yesterday. My booking to delivery time was about 6 weeks. Initially I was thinking of upgrading the tyres to 195/60/R15 based on recommendations by fellow owners. But after driving around on the stock tyres for the last 2 days, I decided to live with the stock tyres (MRF) for now. The ride on the stock tyres is not bad at all. The car is an absolute delight to drive in the crazy Bangalore traffic.

Most Viewed