I have been a silent reader of the forum for a long time now and I have been following the 2014 City thread from the first post. A big THANKS to the moderators for approving my registration into the forum and for keeping the forum well maintained.
I am a owner of a Taffeta White Honda City VX i-VTEC MT since March 2014 (Thanks to my dad). The car is a Feb 2014 make and one of the first batches of the petrol variants. The car had its fair shares of ups and downs but its a joy to drive and the ODO currently reads at approximately 16,000kms.
The car was purchased from Vision Honda, Kottayam, Kerala and it has seen a fair amount of the 3 south Indian states of Kerala, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu. Since I study around Bangalore the car is with me here.
i haven't heard the Alternator Grinding noise till date nor the clutch problems some people face but i have had my share of unique problems like the engine sounding like a diesel at times. The car came with Stock GoodYear GT3 175/65 R 15 tyres. The first 3000km of the car was driven by my dad and
Accessories bought from the dealer at the time of purchase (which I can remember as of now) :
- Underbody Coating
- Sporty double chrome grill
- Rear duck tail spoiler
- Sports pedals
- Floor carpet lamination
Accessories fitted by me (again which I can remember) :
- Philips Xtreme Vision Headlamp upgrade for low beam (H11) 55W
- Blind spot mirrors
- Door Guards (the I-POP ones)
- 3M Nomad style noodle mats (thanks to BHPian dinu2506 http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...loor-mats.html
*First service at 1700kms at Vision Honda, Kottayam in April 2014
Apart from the routine service, one of the tyres had a tyre burst(I donít exactly know, I wasnít in the car), it was the passenger side front tyre. A sharp stone which was in a pothole pierced the sidewall. Got the tyre replaced as it was a new car. (Paid extra for the Tyre)
*Second Service at 5200kms(approx.) at Magnum Honda, Bangalore in May 2014
Routine service was done. The day before the service I had gotten a dent in the passenger side door and the running broad underneath it. They were asking me to fix the dent, but I left it for later.
*Third Service at 9666kms at Vision Honda, Kottayam in July 2014
Routine service was done. Got the Roots Megasonic horns fitted by the dealer, no effect on the warranty of the car (said by the dealer). Got Zinc coating for the silencer.
Just before the third service, on the way from Velankanni to Theni, in Tamil Nadu a stone had struck the front windshield, chipping the glass. This happened in the blacked portion of the windshield and was not easily noticeable, until it started growing.
Due to the initial learning phase of me driving the car, I had several scratches on the body, apart from the dent. This included the front bumper, the rear bumper and the ORVMs. Got all the scratches on the car painted and got the dent fixed. The front windshield took time to arrive from Chennai and it took almost 3 weeks to get the new windshield.
*In August 2014 had gone to 3M car care, Basaveshwaranagar. Got the Paint Sealant Advanced Treatment done. Car looked brilliant after the job. Itís a small shop, but donít let the size fool you and they did do a pretty good job. They have packages for cars, which I felt were value for money; but I didnít have the money at the time to go for a package. They also do sell car detailing products of 3Mís and Meguiar.(Note: I am not in any way associated with 3M car care franchise and I am just spreading the word for others)
Just after the polish got a scratch by an impatient auto on the passenger side front bumper in front of Orion Mall. Its about an inch in length and hardly noticeable until its pointed out.
*At present, the condition of the car is:
- Engine mud guard/ guard is removed. Had hit a stray dog on the road at speeds of around 40kmph in October 2014. Heís ALIVE and NO BLOOD was shed, but he kicked one of my roots megasonic horns into the engine bay, broken 2 clips of the front bumper, clipped off a little paint, damaged the passenger side partial wheel well cladding and knocked down the engine mud guard. (I know, thatís quite a bit of damage, I tried my best to avoid the animal, but it LITERALLY ran into my path, and several two wheelers were around me and it couldnít endanger their lives too.) The mud guard ďHanged aroundĒ (pun intended) till earlier this week, when it fell down completely and was dragged around on the road. It was held by just ONE clip type screw.
-Last week for a long drive. Was going in the direction of Bangalore on the Bangalore-Pune highway. A tiny stone hit the front windshield; and cracked it AGAIN !!
- After the third service, I noticed a particularly unique problem. The foam od the backrest of the driverís seat got ďmisplacedĒ and I can feel the metal frame of the seat everytime I sit. Another issue I saw was that the driverís seat adjustment does not stay and it does back down in due time. The dealer said this is because the seat was not designed for heavy people (I am 6 feet 3 inches). It will be rectified during the next service.
Mileage: 12-15km/L in the city, 16-20km/L on the highway.
Now my questions for other members:
1. Could I get anything to prevent my NEXT windshield from cracking/chipping? (couldnít find a thread on it earlier)
2. Any use in upgrading the high beams to Osram NightBreaker Unlimited HB3 9005 60W? I feel the Low beams are more brighter than the high beams at the moment. (for other members, searched full JC Road Bangalore, it is not available there. Its available on e-pitstop.com and powerbulbs.com and the Philips Xtreme Vision is not available for the HB3 9005)
3. This might come as shocker to some, but I do scrape several speed breakers (mostly the engine mudguard, front bumper, silencer and the running broad touches) I try my best to maneuver, but still it touches. Any tips on this anyone? (tyre upgrade is being considered at the moment, most probably will be done after the present set wears out, which might be another 10k-15k kms)
4. Another Member asked a couple of posts back about the dimming of the headlights when operating other electricals in the car, like power window switches. I have the same problem, and along with the usage of power window switches, I see it when ďONĒing the Fog lamps and when applying brakes (even when the car is in motion)
Whew!! That was a long first post.
I would also like to thank RavenAvi, neel911, //M, vsrivatsa and other owners of the new Honda city on the forum.