Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2014, 00:44   #3106
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
An update on the Poor visibility at night due to stock Headlamps and Grinding Noise from the Alternator Belt.

Headlamps and Poor Visibility

Upgraded the bulbs to Philips Extreme Vision. Much better than the Stock bulbs is the first impression.
Tejas, nice to know about this headlamp upgrade. Do let us know how much it cost you? Also, does all electrical parameters match with the original lamp, thereby keeping the warranty intact?
Old 2nd November 2014, 08:05   #3107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Headlamps and Poor Visibility

Upgraded the bulbs to Philips Extreme Vision. Much better than the Stock bulbs is the first impression.

Just to indicate the difference, I was driving in Twilight yesterday after upgrading to Philips Extreme Vision and one can noticeably see the headlight throw on the road even in Twilight, which never happened in the stock bulbs.
Good to hear that. Do let us know how these bulbs fare in Rainy conditions. I have heard while these improve the situation in normal driving conditions - they become ineffective during rains.
Old 2nd November 2014, 10:59   #3108
BHPian

Some pics of my red queen decorated with team bhp stickers 😊
Must admit that this color is a dust magnet and cleaning is one difficult job! !

Though still very early but this mileage seems pretty good for city driving. Though I must say that my driving is not bumper to bumper city traffic. I leave early for work and get moderate traffic. Many times I or my wife drive at night to attend emergency calls when traffic is minimal.
The steering wheel cover goes well with interiors.
Attached Thumbnails
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20141102_100957.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20141102_101031.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20141102_101049.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20141102_101253.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-20141102_101351.jpg  

Last edited by bblost : 2nd November 2014 at 23:51. Reason: back to back.
DoctorKK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2014, 11:43   #3109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
Tejas, nice to know about this headlamp upgrade. Do let us know how much it cost you? Also, does all electrical parameters match with the original lamp, thereby keeping the warranty intact?
The Philips Extreme Vision are the specs (12V 55W H11 Bulbs) as specified in the manual. So no one from Honda can deny any warranty issues with regards to the Headlamps.

The bulbs cost me Rs. 900 a piece. I only got the low beam changed. Didn't feel the need to change high beams as I avoid night driving to the extent possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Good to hear that. Do let us know how these bulbs fare in Rainy conditions. I have heard while these improve the situation in normal driving conditions - they become ineffective during rains.
Well, for that my friend you will have to wait for another 8 months from now. The rainy season is well behind now in Mumbai.

Yeah, we may get occasional rains sometimes. The chances on me being in the car and such occasional rains and night time together might be very slim.

I would not agree with that statement that these bulbs would become ineffective. I mean why should they, they are the same bulbs as Philips or Osram Regular bulbs which are the stock bulbs. Its only there illumination is brighter than the stock bulbs. The difference that you see during normal night drive and rainy night drive in stock bulbs would probably be the same for the Philips Extreme Vision.
tejas08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2014, 11:49   #3110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorKK View Post
Must admit that this color is a dust magnet and cleaning is one difficult job! !
Congrats Doc, on the awesome ride. This color suits the City very well. Suggest getting the Jopasu duster for cleaning, it works like a charm.
Happy mile munching
Old 2nd November 2014, 11:59   #3111
Senior - BHPian

Tejas-
How about some details of the bulbs and cost involved. Also if possible a night pic to see throw of light.
Old 2nd November 2014, 12:22   #3112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, for that my friend you will have to wait for another 8 months from now. The rainy season is well behind now in Mumbai.

Yeah, we may get occasional rains sometimes. The chances on me being in the car and such occasional rains and night time together might be very slim.

I would not agree with that statement that these bulbs would become ineffective. I mean why should they, they are the same bulbs as Philips or Osram Regular bulbs which are the stock bulbs. Its only there illumination is brighter than the stock bulbs. The difference that you see during normal night drive and rainy night drive in stock bulbs would probably be the same for the Philips Extreme Vision.
I got that info on T-BHP itself. Refer below post:
URL

Also>> URL

If someone can clarify - that will be immensely helpful!

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 2nd November 2014 at 12:25.
Old 2nd November 2014, 12:38   #3113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Typically the more bluish the bulbs are, the less effective they are in rain/fog. More yellow - the better in rain/fog. THats why you see true fog lights in yellow color.

Typical OEM headlight bulbs are yellowish ( Denoted as 2000-3000 K in the color temperature). Philips extreme vision is more whitish in nature than yellow. They operate at a higher temperature than standard filaments, hence higher light output and lower life. Philips has other bulbs called crystal vision, blue vision etc which are more bluish than white (6500K or higher in color temperature).

Same logic with Osram nightbreaker as well

have a look here to understand the logic

I've been using Philips crystal vision for 2+ years in all weather conditions. Light output is superb, no issues with visibility compared to the stock bulbs.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2014, 13:15   #3114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Tejas-
How about some details of the bulbs and cost involved. Also if possible a night pic to see throw of light.
Had posted about the cost and specs of the bulbs a couple of posts before yours. Had forgotten to put those in the first post. 12V 55W H11 Bulbs, Rs. 900 a piece. Got only the Low beams changed.

Let me check on the photos. I might be able to check the light throw for both the Stock and Xtreme Vision and get a comparision photo on the forums. Need a day or two to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Typical OEM headlight bulbs are yellowish ( Denoted as 2000-3000 K in the color temperature). Philips extreme vision is more whitish in nature than yellow. They operate at a higher temperature than standard filaments, hence higher light output and lower life. Philips has other bulbs called crystal vision, blue vision etc which are more bluish than white (6500K or higher in color temperature).

Same logic with Osram nightbreaker as well

have a look here to understand the logic

I've been using Philips crystal vision for 2+ years in all weather conditions. Light output is superb, no issues with visibility compared to the stock bulbs.
I did not find the lights to be any less yellower than the Stock Headlamps. I do not know if there is a slight difference, but there is no drastic difference between the colour of the stock bulbs and Xtreme Vision Light. But I will once again check up in complete darkness to confirm the colour of the bulbs. Also, I will check up the Temperature Rating being indicated on the Cover of the bulbs and post it on the forum.

Last edited by tejas08 : 2nd November 2014 at 13:21.
Old 2nd November 2014, 16:16   #3115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uday.ere View Post
Congrats Doc, on the awesome ride. This color suits the City very well. Suggest getting the Jopasu duster for cleaning, it works like a charm.
Happy mile munching

Thanks for the suggestion 😀 Have ordered the same from ebay.
Old 3rd November 2014, 08:02   #3116
BHPian

Took delivery of my car yesterday. Overall the delivery experience was okish. Nothing great. Reached the showrrom at 11:00 am and finished all formalities, took inspection of the car and signed all the necessary papers. Received all tax invoices. Average customer service. The car was ok. The mud flap was fixed. Thanks to all here on the forum who patiently answered my queries. Shall post pictures of the car soon.
mpshah68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2014, 09:24   #3117
BHPian

Quote:
I will check up the Temperature Rating being indicated on the Cover of the bulbs and post it on the forum.
3350K is the Kelvin Rating of Philips Extreme Vision Bulbs.
Old 3rd November 2014, 11:31   #3118
BHPian

Quote:
You are right. I think 3350 will be yellow only. Refer to the Chart below:

Name:  colourtemperaturechart.png
Views: 11215
Size:  24.0 KB
Seran Manian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2014, 12:07   #3119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Encouraged from your purchase and also some other comments on this Forum I went ahead and ordered the Osram Night Breaker Unlimited (NBU) from PowerBulbs.com. These should reach me by mid-November. I believe the NBU is rated at 3500 K. I too, ordered the H11 for the Low Beam.

Essentially from my searching there is equal recommendation for both Xtreme Vision as well as Night Breaker series on this forum - so it just is a matter of choice I guess.
Old 3rd November 2014, 12:22   #3120
BHPian

Honda Grace (new Honda City) Sport Hybrid revealed with LED lights
This is for Japanese Market.
http://buff.ly/10dLys6

Get Dual-Clutch Transmission and 'Aluminium' wheels.
Just the addition of an extra strip on the grille uplifts the looks a bit.

Most Viewed