Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2017, 23:25   #2161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviraj View Post
The updated i20's dashboard looks better than the Creta's. Hyundai is doing great in the styling department and feature set has always been a strong point. Variant distribution has always been baffling. Car makers simply need to offer the AT as an option on any of the variants. An AT specific variant which misses on the top features simply doesn't make sense
This is the case with many cars in India. Look at Jazz, baleno, Figo etc. They are afraid of advertising a very high price tag for top variant. In my opinion, that's really some bad input from marketing or psychology guys. Most of us who look for Automatics definitely want the top variant, we don't have a choice.
Even though I was interested in AT, i had to go for a manual car since Polo GT was the only car which was not afraid to go against this price logic. Even though indian car industry is very price sensitive, manufacturers should realize that most of the customers who want AT are not the average indian buyer (please don't misunderstand the usage of 'average' here... I mean to say, these buyers may not mind spending extra money to get a fully loaded AT)
Old 7th April 2017, 11:43   #2162
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post
They are afraid of advertising a very high price tag for top variant. In my opinion, that's really some bad input from marketing or psychology guys. Most of us who look for Automatics definitely want the top variant, we don't have a choice.
Maybe there is a way past it. AT can be advertised an an Options pack, so the buyer has the choice to order it with any variant, and since the sticker price is without options, the top variant will not cause sticker price shock.

I think the OEMs are trying to avoid too many permutations and combinations of models to produce, and therefore offer the AT only in specific variants identified by their (ill-informed?) market research.
mustang_shelby is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 11:52   #2163
BHPian

The humble rear wiper is now available only on the Asta (O)? What on earth, Hyundai? Ridiculous, this!
Its not some sophisticated ultra high tech feature for them to offer only in the top variant. Its basic necessity when it rains!
veyron_head is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 14:31   #2164
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
The humble rear wiper is now available only on the Asta (O)? What on earth, Hyundai? Ridiculous, this!
Its not some sophisticated ultra high tech feature for them to offer only in the top variant. Its basic necessity when it rains!
If the brochure is accurate, steering tilt adjustment has been moved to the Asta and Asta(O). Beat that!
A matter of time before sliding front seats become a 'premium feature' on Hyundais.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 7th April 2017 at 14:34.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 15:20   #2165
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Moves like these will ensure that the I20 sales will dip even further. Inspite of commanding a premium over the Baleno, the I20 has had a few advantages to its name like-

1. 'Ample' number of features in Sportz variant and above.

2. Premium interiors when compared to the Baleno.

While the point number 2 still holds true, point number 1 has been completely nullified with this move. A value seeking customer will choose the cheaper Baleno Delta over the I20 Sportz and will still have more features in his car. Exra cash in the account being an icing on the cake.
He can even get the Baleno Zeta for the same cash as the I20 Sportz. He will have a much better equipped car which will look as premium as the I20 owing to these extra features.

There have been a lot of talks about Hyundai becoming more and more European in their approach. And this move is just a testament to my previous statement. Just like VW, their products have better build quality, however, all the goodies are reserved for the top end. So if you can't afford the top end, you can either buy a variant with poor level of equipment and enjoy the premium build of the car, or you can bite the dust and settle for another car with higher equipment levels.

If removing ACC and the reverse camera from the Sportz variant was not bad enough, they have limited even the 'Tilt' adjustment of the steering to the Asta models.

Last edited by AYP : 7th April 2017 at 15:42.
AYP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2017, 17:02   #2166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
Gents, without any warning or sign of failure my rear right power window switch has gone kaput. Pressing the switch gets the window down but the Up functionality has died completely. Have planned to take it to the ASS but could there be some loose contact issue? Has any one else faced this issue?
I faced the same problem around a month back. The left side rear window would go down and won't come up. The SA said the switch has malfunctioned and needs to be replaced. He quoted a cost of around 800 bucks. I had previously given the car for body work and these guys had forgotten to put the clear coat on the newly painted bumper. They agreed to get the switch fixed under warranty after i insisted that i dis not like the way they supervised the service.

Insist on warranty for this. I can post a copy of the work order if they deny.
hakunabatata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2017, 22:50   #2167
Senior - BHPian

Walkaround Video of Updated 2017 Hyundai i20.
(Dual Tone Exterior/All Black Interiors).

CarguyNish is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th April 2017, 13:47   #2168
RSR
Senior - BHPian

There are three i20 Asta variants available now - Asta, Asta Dual Tone & Asta(O).

Asta(O) is the top variant and only one with side & curtain airbags, and is pretty much the same as before. The only change is inclusion of Apple Carplay, Android Auto & Mirror Link functions to the touchscreen SAT-NAV system.

Both Asta variants also get the Apple Carplay, Android Auto & Mirror Link compatible touchscreen SAT-NAV system, but shockingly(!) lose the rear wash-wipe feature. They also lose the black body side mouldings and the smart key, start-stop button & chrome door handles combination.

There are some differences between the Asta & Asta Dual Tone:
  • As the name suggests, Asta Dual Tone is available with twin tone exteriors (blackened roof, rear spoiler & A-pillars) on some colours.
  • Asta Dual Tone gets black interiors with orange inserts instead of the regular interior colour combination (black & beige).
  • Asta Dual Tone gets height adjustable rear neck restraints while the regular Asta gets fixed ones at the rear.
  • Asta Dual Tone gets 16" alloy wheels while the regular Asta gets 16" stylish steel wheels.

The 16" stylish steel wheels seem new for Hyundai. The 2017 i20 Asta becomes the first Hyundai car in India to get such wheels, I believe (not sure though!)

This is how the 2017 Asta looks in white with those 16-inch "stylish steel" wheels:

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-20170414-13.03.38.png

Such wheels are made of steel, but do not require wheel caps, and tend to look suspiciously like alloys. A close-up screenshot:

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-20170414-13.01.03.png

Both the above images are screenshots from the following YouTube video. Due credit to the uploader pc nagesh:

Last edited by RSR : 14th April 2017 at 14:05.
RSR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th April 2017, 14:08   #2169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
This is how the 2017 Asta looks in white with those 16-inch "stylish steel" wheels:

Attachment 1629636

Such wheels are made of steel, but do not require wheel caps, and tend to look suspiciously like alloys. A close-up screenshot:
Those wheels have taken the "style" out of the earlier i20 Elite Asta.
These do not gel well with the overall style of the i20.

This looks like someone with a nice stylish Georgio Armani suit on, wearing paragon slippers as footwear.
vinit.merchant is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2017, 00:37   #2170
BHPian

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Quote:
=========

The 16" stylish steel wheels seem new for Hyundai. The 2017 i20 Asta becomes the first Hyundai car in India to get such wheels, I believe (not sure though!)

====
I think the Renault Duster and even the Chevrolet Beat have offered these steel type rims before the i20 but i have to say they didnt as out of place as they do on the 20.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 15th April 2017 at 07:16. Reason: See mod note
Old 15th April 2017, 01:40   #2171
Distinguished - BHPian

Elite i20 has officially taken a joint 1st position alongwith the prev-gen Honda City for being the cost-cutting champion when compared to the model/variant just before that.

These are the things the Elite i20 lacked even during launch when compared to the standard Hyundai models :
- Fixed roof handles and not foldable
- No complete illuminated window controls in all doors (shame)
- No speed sensing auto-lock across variants
- No split folding rear seats except for Asta maybe?

Now they are trying their best to position the "tweaked" 2017 model as a so called facelift and that lacks :
- Door protection moulding
- Tilt steering adjustment except for Asta and Asta (O)?
- Rear wiper (except for Asta O)
- And many more

Instead of the above features the company decided to give super practical features such as :
- New Marina blue shade
- Wrapped roof in black
- Wrapped A pillar in black
- Interiors lifted right out of i20 Active
- Touchscreen

Couple of months, just defer your purchase decision by two months if its the i20 you're going for, 60 days of seeing average sales of less than half (or hopefully, even less) will give Hyundai the shock of a lifetime. It was a great car, but it had to be made greater to compete in today's times, now its just a joke at best. Touchscreens and cheap stuck on vinyl be damned.
dark.knight is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th April 2017, 06:39   #2172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 16" stylish steel wheels seem new for Hyundai.
That looks really bad, Hyundai shouldn't have done it for their premium hatch. Especially since the stock 16" alloy wheels of i20 is one the best we have across segments. Also, wouldn't this weigh quite a lot? Being steel and having big holes to make it 'look good'?

Guys with 16" stock alloy wheels, be careful now.

The word is spreading on these 'stylish steel wheels' and this happened in Kerala yesterday.

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-kozhikodecar.jpg.image.784.410.jpg

source

Last edited by deetjohn : 17th April 2017 at 06:42. Reason: typo.
deetjohn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th April 2017, 14:45   #2173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarLoverJosh View Post
I think the Renault Duster and even the Chevrolet Beat have offered these steel type rims before the i20 but i have to say they didnt as out of place as they do on the 20.
If I remember correctly these wheels were first offered by Chevrolet on the Tavera. I remember this as my FIL's car was with such wheels, looked like alloys but were actually steel.

Hyundai and VW seem to be trading places. Whilst the former is cutting equipment every few months the later is adding more, again every few months. In both cases the customer is at a loss.

I am happy I bought the car in 2015 itself when there was just one Asta variant. Some one needs to remind car manufacturers to stick to the KISS formula - Keep it Sweet & Simple.
Old 17th April 2017, 15:42   #2174
BHPian

My Car has completed 23K kms and recently facing a screeching sound(dragging something on floor/tile) while depressing the clutch. Yet to take it to the Service Center.

Anyone faced similar kind? My Clutch needs some oiling/bleeding?
Old 22nd April 2017, 12:21   #2175
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai i20 facelift spied!

Expect Hyundai to unveil the refreshed i20 sometime next year, possibly as early as the beginning of 2018 at the Auto Expo.

Quote:
Spied for the first time on the outskirts of Chennai, the refreshed i20 was part of a convoy of test mules that also included the all-new Verna
The i20's front gets styling tweaks which brings it more in line with the latest from Hyundai like the Grand i10 and Xcent siblings, the larger Elantra and the upcoming Verna sedan.

The headlamps seem more angular and also Elantra-Like and the bumper has new inserts for fog lamps.

Quote:
Moving on to the sides, the i20 is expected to look the same, except for new-design alloy wheels. The rear of the car is fully covered so the changes here could be even bigger
Quote:
Hyundai is working on a mild hybrid system for its models in India. This new tech will be introduced in the all-new Verna and then the Creta and the i20
Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-0_468_700_http___cdni_autocarindia_com_extraimages_20170422115752_ix1.jpg
Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-0_0_0_http___cdni_autocarindia_com_news_20170422115822_ix2.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 22nd April 2017 at 12:30.
volkman10 is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks