Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2017, 12:28   #2206
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh89 View Post
I have rarely revved the car beyond 4K RPM..
About time you start doing it now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_tuneup

Try using some petrol additive like System-G the next time you fuel up your car.
Old 6th June 2017, 22:35   #2207
BHPian

Dear all,

I've recently purchased an elite i20 Asta(O) CRDi and it has done about 1300km. Today I was on a long drive (of about 450kms). Halfway through the journey I've been getting a strange continuous noise from somewhere near the front (maybe the dashboard or the glove compartment. I'm not able to pinpoint the origin but it's kind of from my left side). The sound is something like tarrrrrrrrrr or something similar to the chirping sound of crickets (but not so loud). It comes even when the vehicle is switched on and stationary. After I switched off the vehicle for a tea break and then started, the sound stopped for some time. Later it again started and used to stop intermittently (although it's almost continuous). This sound wasn't coming during my city drives or even when I had been to mysore from Bangalore. I'm stumped on what that sound is. Any help is greatly appreciated. I'll be giving the vehicle for first service day after tomorrow.

Thanks much!
Old 6th June 2017, 23:07   #2208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhananjay_Desai View Post
I'm stumped on what that sound is.
Thanks much!
I had a similar sound on a recent highway drive. Turned out to be my sunglass rubbing against the sunglass holder. Wrapped my sunglasses in a soft cloth and that was sorted.

Your issue could be something similar. A coin in the door pocket or even a small clip could cause vibration resulting in an annoying noise at high speeds. Try removing all the stuff from door bins, bottle holders and check if the noise persists.
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 23:17   #2209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
I had a similar sound on a recent highway drive. Turned out to be my sunglass rubbing against the sunglass holder. Wrapped my sunglasses in a soft cloth and that was sorted.
Nothing in the door bins or any cup holder. The sound was coming even after I removed my sunglasses from the holder. Wife says it's coming from somewhere near the glove compartment and it's AC vent. It's so freaking annoying!! Tomorrow I'll be going on another 110km drive so will check again for that sound (this time I'll make double sure not to keep any loose items anywhere as you suggested). Could something be lose inside the dash or the glove compartment? Thanks for your quick response and suggestion.
Dhananjay_Desai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 11:21   #2210
Senior - BHPian

Spotted this Elite i20 Asta today. Going by lack of projectors & DRL, this is plain Asta version, not the Asta (O). The wheels immediately caught my attention as they looked different.
Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-img_6037.jpg

It is a very boring & plain jane design in my opinion, not worthy of top variant of any car. Even the wheelcaps of lower versions look much better for that matter. My first thoughts were that Hyundai must have restricted diamond cut alloys to Asta (O) and these must be new alloy design for Asta. But on looking at Hyundai's website, I am surprised to see that Asta gets "Stylish Steel Wheel" Not giving alloys is a major omission for a "premium hatch" at this price point

Last edited by AkMar : 8th June 2017 at 11:22.
AkMar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 12:19   #2211
BHPian

Quote:
Wife says it's coming from somewhere near the glove compartment and it's AC vent.
Even I'm hearing sounds from the same area, when driving over patterned surfaces. It's like two metal plates vibrating and touching each other lightly.
Old 9th June 2017, 21:13   #2212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
I had a similar sound on a recent highway drive.
Today gave my car for first servicing, had told my trusted SA about this sound. After the servicing was done he took me on a long test drive for about 80km. Finally the sound was reproduced and it turned out to be that of the AC compressor. When he switched off the AC the sound disappeared. He told me that the sound comes only when the windows are closed and AC is on and no other sounds are present in the vehicle (no music playing and also fan speed is at minimum). I had heard these sounds under these exact conditions. He informed me that it was the normal working of the compressor. He asked me not to worry at all. So that was a relief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Spotted this Elite i20 Asta today. Going by lack of projectors & DRL, this is plain Asta version, not the Asta (O). The wheels immediately caught my attention as they looked different.
Yes they are stupid cheap looking steel rims on the asta. Only the asta(o) gets the diamond cut alloys now. Also since march, hyundai has downsized the spare wheel and it will also be of a different make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop_gkris View Post
Even I'm hearing sounds from the same area, when driving over patterned surfaces. It's like two metal plates vibrating and touching each other lightly.
Today my SA told of a similar situation with another customer was getting these sounds over patterned roads. Are those patterns speed cutters/rumble strips? If yes and you don't get that sound over any other roads (like rough roads) then I don't think it should be a problem. He said that this sound is like a rumbling sound caused due to the rough surfaces of the speed cutters and does seem like metal vibration. Although I'd suggest you take it to the nearest workshop and try to get it reproduced along with the SA.
Dhananjay_Desai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2017, 23:22   #2213
BHPian

Quote:
Are those patterns speed cutters/rumble strips?
Exactly, i didn't get the right word. Thanks. Yes, will definitely show it to the SA. Difficult to reproduce them, have that kind of road at some places only. But will check your input on the AC settings.
Old 11th June 2017, 11:10   #2214
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Moves like these will ensure that the I20 sales will dip even further. Inspite of commanding a premium over the Baleno, the I20 has had a few advantages to its name like-

1. 'Ample' number of features in Sportz variant and above.

2. Premium interiors when compared to the Baleno.

While the point number 2 still holds true, point number 1 has been completely nullified with this move. A value seeking customer will choose the cheaper Baleno Delta over the I20 Sportz and will still have more features in his car. Exra cash in the account being an icing on the cake.
He can even get the Baleno Zeta for the same cash as the I20 Sportz. He will have a much better equipped car which will look as premium as the I20 owing to these extra features.

There have been a lot of talks about Hyundai becoming more and more European in their approach. And this move is just a testament to my previous statement. Just like VW, their products have better build quality, however, all the goodies are reserved for the top end. So if you can't afford the top end, you can either buy a variant with poor level of equipment and enjoy the premium build of the car, or you can bite the dust and settle for another car with higher equipment levels.

If removing ACC and the reverse camera from the Sportz variant was not bad enough, they have limited even the 'Tilt' adjustment of the steering to the Asta models.
Hyundai lost a customer only because the Elite i20 AT variant does not even come with ABS and airbags while it costs a couple of lakhs more than the Baleno CVT.

I went ahead and booked the Baleno Zeta CVT.
Oxy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2017, 12:16   #2215
BHPian

Hi! Could any existing owner share a soft copy of the owner's manual. Hyundai has changed the website such that only existing owner's can now download the manual after registration.
Old 16th June 2017, 12:20   #2216
BHPian

Hi all,

This is my first port in TeamBHP, although I am a member since early 2016. And all my gratitide and thankfulness to TeamBHP can never be enough compared to the incredibly valuable information I get here.

And my sincere apologies if my question is a repeat. Actually I haven't gone through all the posts, considering most of the threads are ever so popular and spans 10s and even 100s of pages.

I own a 2015 Elite i20 Asta Petrol, bought in October'2015.
Around 3 months back, the much notorious and dreaded steering rattling sound made appearance in my car. I am very much familiar with this issue as earlier I owned an 2009 i10 Sportz, having the same problem and it remained un-resolved till I sold the car last year, even after 6 attempts by Hyundai A.S.S., including steering column replacement,high viscous grease etc.

The dealer I am contacting is also surprised to hear this on Elite i20. Nevertheless they have asked me to visit A.S.S.

Have any of you ever encountered or heard about the steering rattling issue in Elite i20?
Old 16th June 2017, 15:50   #2217

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu007 View Post
Hi all,

I own a 2015 Elite i20 Asta Petrol, bought in October'2015.
Around 3 months back, the much notorious and dreaded steering rattling sound made appearance in my car. I am very much familiar with this issue as earlier I owned an 2009 i10 Sportz, having the same problem and it remained un-resolved till I sold the car last year, even after 6 attempts by Hyundai A.S.S., including steering column replacement,high viscous grease etc.

The dealer I am contacting is also surprised to hear this on Elite i20. Nevertheless they have asked me to visit A.S.S.

Have any of you ever encountered or heard about the steering rattling issue in Elite i20?

Quote:
Dear all,

I've recently purchased an elite i20 Asta(O) CRDi and it has done about 1300km. Today I was on a long drive (of about 450kms). Halfway through the journey I've been getting a strange continuous noise from somewhere near the front (maybe the dashboard or the glove compartment. I'm not able to pinpoint the origin but it's kind of from my left side). The sound is something like tarrrrrrrrrr or something similar to the chirping sound of crickets (but not so loud). It comes even when the vehicle is switched on and stationary. After I switched off the vehicle for a tea break and then started, the sound stopped for some time. Later it again started and used to stop intermittently (although it's almost continuous). This sound wasn't coming during my city drives or even when I had been to mysore from Bangalore. I'm stumped on what that sound is. Any help is greatly appreciated. I'll be giving the vehicle for first service day after tomorrow.

Thanks much!

I have two-year-old Elite i20 CRDI, done 32000+ kms.

The noise from the steering column began just shy of the 30,000 mark and weeks before the 2-year warranty ended. Initially, it sounded like a screw trapped in a small compartment being shaken vigorously. karkakarkarkakakr. The noise would come on only after driving a few kilometers, and after the car had gone over an uneven/rough patch. And once it started, it wouldn't quit. But the sound was low, the driver could hear it but it did not travel to the rear seats.

I took the car for the paid servicing to my A.S.S. and pointed it out. They changed something called the corkscrew (I may be misspelling it here) inside the steering wheel. It didn't make any difference.

Took the car back. This time the senior mechanic/engineer took a crack at the problem. Kept the car for a day, opened the steering column, greased it, tightened all the screws and gave it back. The noise became even louder. Now the rear passengers could also hear it. And on top of that, the steering alignment became wonky. The steering wheel would rest at an angle, making the car veer to the right if you took your hands off it.

Went back for the third time. The column was opened again. The steering alignment was fixed. The noise did reduce. But it is still there.

The steering wheel bears scars from the multiple times it was taken out and put back again. The gap between parts seems to have has become wider. It doesn't veer to the right anymore. But if you are in the basement or somewhere quiet, a faint creaking sound is audible on turning the steering.

The original noise doesn't come on for the first few miles. But after going over uneven roads, it starts and stays on intermittently.

The noise has killed the entire driving pleasure. I'm at my wit's end about what to do.
Old 16th June 2017, 16:35   #2218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu007 View Post
Hi all,

This is my first port in TeamBHP, although I am a member since early 2016.
Hey! Yes I've recently started hearing the slight "kat-kat" sound while going over rough patches. Had a similar issue in my Vento earlier and the steering column replacement had solved it.
Plan to raise it up with the SA during my next service. My car is a 2015 Asta CRDi and has clocked 41K till date. How about you? How much have you clocked till now? This is just to understand if the issue starts after having done x number of kms..

Do keep us posted if you happen to visit the ASC.

Cheers!
Old 16th June 2017, 17:18   #2219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manas80 View Post
I have two-year-old Elite i20 CRDI, done 32000+ kms.

The noise from the steering column began just shy of the 30,000 mark and weeks before the 2-year warranty ended. Initially, it sounded like a screw trapped in a small compartment being shaken vigorously. karkakarkarkakakr. The noise would come on only after driving a few kilometers, and after the car had gone over an uneven/rough patch. And once it started, it wouldn't quit. But the sound was low, the driver could hear it but it did not travel to the rear seats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by verma_rahul View Post
Hey! Yes I've recently started hearing the slight "kat-kat" sound while going over rough patches. My car is a 2015 Asta CRDi and has clocked 41K till date. How about you? How much have you clocked till now? This is just to understand if the issue starts after having done x number of kms..

Do keep us posted if you happen to visit the ASC.

Cheers!
So, my apprehension came true. It is still there. Whatever statement Hyundai released about addressing steering sound turned out all fake.

I have just clocked 31K. I remember the sound came around 4 months back. So that should be around 22k-23k on the Odo when the sound was first heard.

And like your Manas, my earlier i10 also landed in the same state after ASC attempted no less than 6 times to fix the issue (Read: Experimented on my car), but to no good. I am afraid this time also it may come out as the same.

Servicing is planned next weekend. I will keep posting.
Old 16th June 2017, 18:25   #2220
BHPian

Hi All,

The keyless entry request button in my 2014 Elite i20 Sportz(O) (small black color button on driver door handle) has stopped working again. This is the second time this is happening. I am guessing I may be at fault here. Had parked the car outside a relatives house in heavy monsoon rains here in Kerala for 2 days. I am thinking water might have gone inside the request switch and might have damaged it. Earlier also, the button had failed similarly during monsoons.

My SVC were surprised seeing the switch being damaged for the second time. They mentioned that this is not a very common issue. The catch is that the switch alone cannot be changed, and hence the whole door handle is being changed. Thankfully my car is still under warranty. Last time it took 45 days for the part to arrive. This time the promise is for 5 days (fingers crossed)

If anyone else has faced similar issues, would be happy to know that. Want to make sure this is not happening because of any other reason. Also, if you are parking the car in rain, be sure to cover the door handle.

Thanks all in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks