Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2017, 10:11   #2281

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Yes, the gear knob is black. I remember while I was checking out the dual tone variant in the showroom.
Yea I confirmed it with Hyundai's service support too, we get a completely black knob on all except the Asta option

I was looking forward to the gear knob with orange accent :(
Old 1st August 2017, 15:44   #2282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorguy View Post
Yesterday the blue door lock light on top of the centre airconditioning vent of my 4 month old Elite i20 stopped working. This means you do not know when the doors are locked (except by looking at the door itself). Brought it to Trident Hyundai in Adugodi and they said that the light within the switch had failed and had to be ordered (under warranty).

The only issue was that in removing the fascia they made a tiny scratch on the panel - it is very difficult to remove it without taking a huge amount of precautions (i.e. masking tape placed around etc.) and despite this it got scratched.

Now when I get the part, I am petrified that more scratches will be made when removing the fascia. (incidentally, they were removing the AC fascia first, before removing the instrument panel fascia - on a Youtube video this is supposed to be done in the reverse manner (bad training?).

Why do manufacturers make panels so difficult and risky to remove - switch replacement is very easy while removal of the panel is very difficult.
An update to this. I had shown the Youtube video ( ) to my SA and told him that the centre fascia was being removed incorrectly resulting in scratches to many customer cars. After he saw it, he called about 2 other mechanics, including the one who worked on my car and I played the video for them. (By the way, the video is in Spanish, but viewing it alone is self explanatory). My SA also told me to email the video link to him so that he can use it further training.

The response was unexpected. They were all happy to see this video and one told me that when they were trained at the Hyundai plant in Chennai, the trainer told them to use screwdrivers to pry open the panel). Anyway they told me for 5 years nobody told them it was the incorrect way to do it. The result of this bad training was quite a few customer cars scratched on the fascia.

The door light switch finally arrived, and using the procedure in the video, my mechanic flawlessly removed the panel without using any screwdrivers and without any further damage to the panel.

So, all's well that ends well. I am only sad that the mechanics are being probably trained in the wrong way in a lot of things - and that too at the formal Hyundai training.

P.S. Using the video, it took less than 10 minutes to remove the fascia. Using the screwdriver it took close to an hour and resulted in 2 scratches.

Last edited by motorguy : 1st August 2017 at 16:00. Reason: Addition of Post Script
motorguy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 10:47   #2283
BHPian

Quote:
An update to this. I had shown the Youtube video to my SA and told him that the centre fascia was being removed incorrectly resulting in scratches to many customer cars.
Thanks for this! I will do the same and show it to the SAs that I know! This would really help them (assuming they are all trained in the same way) and would in turn result in less frustrated customers

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th August 2017 at 20:29. Reason: Removing youtube URL from quoted post.
Dhananjay_Desai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 19:41   #2284
BHPian

Dear All,

Please see the attached pic.

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-img_1541.jpg

This happened few minutes back while returning from office. A lorry in the adjacent lane changed its lane because someone came diagonally opposite in front of him. The auto folding works fine but the wiring for the indicator is screwed up. Any idea if I need to replace the entire ORVM?

Thanks!
Old 9th August 2017, 11:27   #2285

Hi Elite I20 owners. I just bought Elite I20 Red Passion Asta (O) Petrol in July 2017. As in Asta (O) we get R16 diamond cut alloys which in my case is with Bridgestone tire. Recently I looked into the spare wheel and what I have found out is confusing me a lot. The 5 wheel is steel wheel (I m ok with it) but it is R15 rim size and tire brand is MRF ZVTS.

Kindly inform urgently I have yet not talked to the dealer but have contacted Hyundai India through FB & email but no response even after 24 hours.

awaiting replies.

tnks
Old 9th August 2017, 12:32   #2286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayank_ferrari View Post
The 5 wheel is steel wheel (I m ok with it) but it is R15 rim size and tire brand is MRF ZVTS.

Congrats on the buy! Hyundai has done quite a bit of rejig since they launched a tweaked model in march 2017. From this model onwards they have officially downsized the spare and also will be of a different brand. It's the same with my asta option CRDi I purchased in May 2017.

I have seen this communication from Hyundai and one of my trusted SAs confirmed this.
Old 9th August 2017, 15:19   #2287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhananjay_Desai View Post
Please see the attached pic.
This happened few minutes back while returning from office. A lorry in the adjacent lane changed its lane because someone came diagonally opposite in front of him. The auto folding works fine but the wiring for the indicator is screwed up. Any idea if I need to replace the entire ORVM?
You may not have to replace all the parts. Please refer to http://oriparts.com/8/62/1390/463627#item_9966879 where you can see an "explosion" of the various parts that comprise the ORVM. While I'm not sure if the part numbers have changed, you can check with the spare parts person in the service dealership you go to to check on the exact part numbers and the availability of the required part/s in each metro city.

The online Hyundai parts software is so good that it will tell the spare parts person exactly where the specific part is located (it also tells you the correct part, based on your VIN number).

On another note, I had a Swift some years back which suffered some ORVM damage, I had to only change 1 part within the ORVM.

Would assume it is the same for Hyundai cars also.

Quote:
Congrats on the buy! Hyundai has done quite a bit of rejig since they launched a tweaked model in march 2017. From this model onwards they have officially downsized the spare and also will be of a different brand. It's the same with my asta option CRDi I purchased in May 2017.

I have seen this communication from Hyundai and one of my trusted SAs confirmed this.
Very correct. I have a Dec 2016 Petrol Asta and I also have only the steel wheel also. So apparently they have downsized the spare. Cost cutting measures, obviously.

Last edited by ampere : 10th August 2017 at 23:50. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts together. Thanks!
motorguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 18:57   #2288
BHPian

Quote:
Very correct. I have a Dec 2016 Petrol Asta and I also have only the steel wheel also. So apparently they have downsized the spare. Cost cutting measures, obviously.
I think this is becoming a quite common practice. In many cars with alloy wheels, spare given is not alloy. Moreover, the spare is of smaller diameter in some cars. Cost cutting measures in one of the less visible features. I'm sure that a large number of buyers won't even notice this for months or years, unlike us.
Old 9th August 2017, 19:39   #2289
BHPian

Quote:
You may not have to replace all the parts.

Well I checked with multiple A S S in different cities and everyone told that just the back panel or the reflector piece is not available and that the entire mirror assembly needs to be replaced. So that would cost me 5.5k :(

I probably will get that done and pay out of my pocket. Just my good fortune that I braked in time otherwise the damage could've been more.
Old 9th August 2017, 20:42   #2290
BHPian

One of my friends has got an Asta (O) model with AVN, but his car does not have the Android auto feature. Is there a way to get that update without changing the head unit? I saw on another thread that one of the members was succesfully able to update the Maruti Smartplay system. Is there a similar way for the Hyundai AVN too?
Old 10th August 2017, 11:20   #2291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
One of my friends has got an Asta (O) model with AVN, but his car does not have the Android auto feature. Is there a way to get that update without changing the head unit? I saw on another thread that one of the members was succesfully able to update the Maruti Smartplay system. Is there a similar way for the Hyundai AVN too?

When did he purchase the car? Only the March 2017 (not sure about Jan/Feb 2017 models) onwards models have the android auto or the Apple CarPlay. I had checked with the Hyundai SA and the sales guy if it was possible to get these features on the older AVN systems and he replied that it was not possible. This was in April. I'm not aware if they have introduced any system to update it now. Ask your friend to check the A S S once. Also, Just scroll the previous 2-3 pages in this thread and you'll find someone who has got a free upgrade of the AVN (I think his original head unit had some issues).
Old 10th August 2017, 14:13   #2292
BHPian

Quote:
When did he purchase the car? Only the March 2017 (not sure about Jan/Feb 2017 models) onwards models have the android auto or the Apple CarPlay. I had checked with the Hyundai SA and the sales guy if it was possible to get these features on the older AVN systems and he replied that it was not possible. This was in April. I'm not aware if they have introduced any system to update it now. Ask your friend to check the A S S once. Also, Just scroll the previous 2-3 pages in this thread and you'll find someone who has got a free upgrade of the AVN (I think his original head unit had some issues).
I don't think the Hyundai A.S.S. is going to give update to the AVN system. Their only option is to change the entire unit which would cost a bomb. So, thought checking here if someone has found a hack to install it as a DIY.
Old 10th August 2017, 14:40   #2293
BHPian

Quote:
Well I checked with multiple A S S in different cities and everyone told that just the back panel or the reflector piece is not available and that the entire mirror assembly needs to be replaced. So that would cost me 5.5k :(

I probably will get that done and pay out of my pocket. Just my good fortune that I braked in time otherwise the damage could've been more.
Could be that Hyundai doesn't want to sell individual pieces of a part due to costing. If you refer to my video of removal of fascia (a few posts back), the door lock (which also includes the hazard switch) switch is shown as an individual part on the Hyundai parts system. However, when the switch actually came to the service center, it was a full assembly consisting of the door lock switch assembly, which also includes the hazard light switch and also the plastic switch buttons on the dashboard fascia. (In the parts system, however, only the switch is shown as a single part, and the switch buttons on the fascia are an entirely different part).
Old 10th August 2017, 22:55   #2294
BHPian

Took Delivery of my Elite i20 Sportz VTVT today. Even though the dealer was finicky and delaying registration, somehow he managed to get finish the job by the estimated date.

I couldn't go myself, so my mom and dad went to take the delivery. One thing which was a bit weird, they said the Tax Token has not yet arrived, and it will take 3-4 days. According to the dealer, this is standard with Kolkata's Beltala RTO nowadays (anyone can confirm?) and should not be any problem. The SA will send the receipt for the same tomorrow.

Is it safe (in terms of laws, police etc?) to be driving around without the tax token ? I need the car urgently, last few days have been a hassle, as our old Sail UVA has gone for servicing+body work and is about to be delivered to its buyer.

Notable Points
1. No CD player in Sportz anymore, this system is a carryover from the old Magna trim.
2. That ugly long antenna still present in non-Asta trims

Picture time
1. Beside our workhorse, Ertiga ZDi
2. One heck of a mean face
3. Got BHP
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-img_20170810_213802_hdr.jpg  

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-img_20170810_213832_hdr.jpg  

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-img_20170810_213650.jpg  

ts1506 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2017, 16:47   #2295
BHPian

3 days of driving around in our new Elite i20, and managed to put over 500KM on the odo

I've been having a lot of fun, and would like to point out the excellent NVH levels. Driving sedately, you can hardly hear any engine noise, and even at speeds of 120~ ish, tyre noise is minimal (GoodYear Assurance TripleMax). The AC is a chiller, and the cabin quality is a huge upgrade from our Sail U-VA.

And contrary to my initial impressions on the TD car (brakes locked at very low speed and very light steering), those issues were not present in my car. The brakes are fine, a little on the weak side, but you get adjusted to it. The steering, while its true, has no real feedback to it, is comfortable to use in the daily city commute. I've noticed that it tightens up pretty well after 3rd gear, and another level of tightening around 95km/hr.

Since both our previous cars were Diesel, I was kinda dreading the move to a Petrol car. I do miss the sudden turbo spool and that whoosh Our national diesel engine sure does excite to drive.
However, what won me was the driveability. It chugs along very nicely, rarely is a downshift needed, and the 3rd gear pulls nicely from as low as 20km/h to 70km/h. There is no hesitation even at lower RPMs.

Initial fuel economy by tankful method came out to be around 9.8 KMPL (312 KM for 31.86 litres).

It's a bit lower than what I expected, I found it normal in reference to our earlier petrol cars. Neither our Fiesta S nor Punto ever gave more than 10-12 KMPL even with very sedate driving.

I'm absolutely happy with my purchase. The reason we took i20 over Baleno was primarily waiting period hassles. We needed it urgently. But living with the car for a few days, I think we made the right decision. Everyone in the family loves it, while they were 50-50 over the Baleno.

Sadness Factor: The guy who washes cars in our building managed to put some light rub marks on the bonnet at two places. Noticeable at some angles. Any tips on how I could get them off ?

Things to get done
1. Seat Covers: Standard seats definitely will get spoiled. Looking forward to some black art-leather ones soon.
2. Body Coating: Our Fiesta S had original Teflon coating done. Searching for something similar. The standard paint sealant things don't seem to last long.

Last edited by ts1506 : 18th August 2017 at 16:58.
ts1506 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks