Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2014, 12:05   #151
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

Scorpio's Nov'14 sales don't see much change from previous months, considering model refresh was launched. Sales stand at 4205 units, which is quite healthy w.r.t the competition (Safari+Storme: 400 units), but isn't an increase over the past few months - with monthly sales averaging at the 4000 units mark only. For comparison, previous two month the sales stood at around 5k (Oct) & 6k (Sep) units.
Old 12th December 2014, 12:17   #152
BHPian

All,

I have two observations / issues for my S10.
1) I measured tank full to tank full (1st one at HP bunk and next at Shell) the Gizmo is showing average of 13.3 but manual calculation show 10.3 . Not sure if its a Gizmo problem or issue with filling at different pumps. I did not go for top up in both fill.

2) The front wheel i see a lot of black deposit . The wheel in not cleaned for last two weeks . I am unsure if it is dust / shoot or deposits out of disk brakes ?

Any expert advice will help.
Old 12th December 2014, 16:20   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuMacher View Post
All,

I have two observations / issues for my S10.
1) I measured tank full to tank full (1st one at HP bunk and next at Shell) the Gizmo is showing average of 13.3 but manual calculation show 10.3 . Not sure if its a Gizmo problem or issue with filling at different pumps. I did not go for top up in both fill.

2) The front wheel i see a lot of black deposit . The wheel in not cleaned for last two weeks . I am unsure if it is dust / shoot or deposits out of disk brakes ?

Any expert advice will help.

To your first point-

The fuel info is the distance covered/the fuel left in your tank and is an indicator for estimation. While empty to empty the tank is 60L and you get the warning light with 1 bar left on the dashboard (10-12 liters).

So the total distance covered/the exact fuel filled will be the right method for FE.

With good habits on the gear and coasting in open inclines of less than 20 degrees will improve FE vastly. I also noticed there 1-2 KM difference with and without the AC on and more frequent cut off also helps (setting it at 24 deg or higher) FE.

I strongly recommend a good transparent IR/UV film in the front glass and all round and vastly helps in effort required to cool the cabin on a hot day.

I don't know if the Micro Hybrid works since I feel it will load the battery + starter and hence prefer from not using it.In Europe its a blessing to use as there a signal in every 50-100 mts in the city.

Lastly good quality commercially available vehicular Ultra-low Sulfur Highway Diesel that meets the BIS standard (IS 1460; 2010 BS IV / BS III specification or equivalent) and good driving habits will give consistent FE.

Second point-

The Brake disks are cast steel and tend to get rusty if not used for 2/more days. I have attached a nice presentation on pad materials. The friction causes wear and the burnt material falls over the wheels which gets the black soot/deposit.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Materials of Brake Pads.pdf (941.6 KB, 1718 views)
Miyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2014, 17:03   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyer View Post

So the total distance covered/the exact fuel filled will be the right method for FE.

The Brake disks are cast steel and tend to get rusty if not used for 2/more days. I have attached a nice presentation on pad materials.
@Miyer Thanks . Good info on both points.
I did a total distance by actual fuel filled . But the fact that i filled at two different station not sure if the fuel level differs based on the point where the fuel full is detected by the fuel dispensing pump. But not expecting the Gizmo calculation and manual to differ by 3 kmpl ? Not sure though.I had reset my mileage Instrument after last fill and also reset my trip meter. I am not sure of if the fuel filled varied due to change in the pump.

I understand the black soot is normal for disk brake and is obvious by use of allows . Thanks for sharing a good documentation.

Btw, Do you own a NG Scorpio ?
Old 12th December 2014, 22:08   #155
BHPian

Quote:
@Miyer Thanks . Good info on both points.
I did a total distance by actual fuel filled . But the fact that i filled at two different station not sure if the fuel level differs based on the point where the fuel full is detected by the fuel dispensing pump. But not expecting the Gizmo calculation and manual to differ by 3 kmpl ? Not sure though.I had reset my mileage Instrument after last fill and also reset my trip meter. I am not sure of if the fuel filled varied due to change in the pump.

I understand the black soot is normal for disk brake and is obvious by use of allows . Thanks for sharing a good documentation.

Btw, Do you own a NG Scorpio ?
Pumps dispense fuels of various quality and quantity, there is a full thread on pumps that are reliable on the forum.

I did try to PM you and it says you don't accept any. You can PM me take the discussion offline.
Old 13th December 2014, 10:09   #156
Senior - BHPian

I must admit the new scorpio is a welcome change. I really liked the Cruize control and idle engine off option of the vehicle. The vehicle is smooth to drive and the captain rear seats options are good for people who admire Innova seat comfort.
Old 14th December 2014, 07:45   #157
Senior - BHPian

I'd just like to add this one pic to clear everyone's doubt on the 4wd front suspension. This is the picture of the 4wd front. Rest I'd leave it to the owner to post in his own ownership thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review-image.jpg  

navpreet318 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2014, 17:51   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
I'd just like to add this one pic to clear everyone's doubt on the 4wd front suspension. This is the picture of the 4wd front. Rest I'd leave it to the owner to post in his own ownership thread.
@navpreet , I see similar setup in my 2wd S10 . So basically the difference between 2wd and 4wd is the working front axle and transfer case .
Old 15th December 2014, 22:07   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@navpreet , I see similar setup in my 2wd S10 . So basically the difference between 2wd and 4wd is the working front axle and transfer case .
That was not my point. In the past 4wd has always had torsion bar setup in the front. This is a new setup which will ensure good handling unlike before.
Old 16th December 2014, 09:05   #160
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
That was not my point. In the past 4wd has always had torsion bar setup in the front. This is a new setup which will ensure good handling unlike before.
From whatever I have driven, it doesn't feel like your typical Scorpio, either while driving or while being driven around.

The SUV feel, perch everything is there, but doesn't have that pitching or rolling associated with a Scorpio. Infact, yesterday, while seated as the passenger in front seat, I was thinking, that this is how the Safari feels like. The movements are the same.

You cruise at 90kmph@ 2,000 revs. In a Fortuner you do 100kmph@ 2,000 revs.

In fact, my 4WD Scorpio and a friend's 4X4 Fortuner are acquired 4 days apart from each other and I keep driving that as well. Fortuner has better, bolstered seats, else, very frankly, you can't pick much (as of now).

A pic of yours truly being handed over the keys by my friend/dealer. The kid is my nephew and I am to your right, wearing a jacket resembling the color red/orange (unsure )
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review-10849738_10152519383162596_4390763130710454864_n.jpg  

Sheel is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 09:42   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
A pic of yours truly being handed over the keys by my friend/dealer. The kid is my nephew and I am to your right, wearing a jacket resembling the color red/orange (unsure )
Congratulations Sheel NG Scorpio looks great in Black. Waiting for a detailed ownership report with lot of pics
Old 16th December 2014, 11:45   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulation! Sheel.
The scorpio is looking pretty neat in black. Wish you a lot of happy miles.
Old 16th December 2014, 12:03   #163
BHPian

Quote:
A pic of yours truly being handed over the keys by my friend/dealer. The kid is my nephew and I am to your right, wearing a jacket resembling the color red/orange
Congratulations . Good to see a 4WD out on road . Would look forward for a comparison of 4WD and 2WD S10. I am rather amazed as I was told a wait time till Feb 2015 for 4WD !!! One of the reason for me to switch to 2WD. Would help me to understand if the dealers are playing spoilsport. And in your case the dealer is a true friend.
Old 18th December 2014, 09:08   #164
Team-BHP Support

Thanks everyone

I am trying to write down an ownership report. As a token of thanks to everyone who take out time and effort to pen down their individual ownership experience, I want to thank them with my thread.

Posting one picture of the rear and one of the suspension (unique to a 4WD)
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review-img_0005.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review-img_0002.jpg  

Last edited by Sheel : 18th December 2014 at 09:13.
Sheel is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th December 2014, 20:10   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
This is incorrect.
The correct practice is to downshift when going down and incline and ALL experienced drivers in the hills do it ALL the time. This reduces brake wear and increases control over the vehicle manifold.

When you go down an incline in neutral, you do not have engine braking resulting in excessive brake wear, heat and inability to control the vehicle in case of a brake fade/failure.
A friend of mine gave me a thumb rule, The gear you were while climbing up should be the gear you use to downshift, and I think he was correct.
agbenny is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed