Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2015, 14:18   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

I went to the Mahindra Showroom today to enquire about the new Scorpio. I went to ask about the S4+ variant with 4WD.

The price sheet (dated Jan 10, 2015) i got from them has no mention of the S4+ variant but the list has S4 and S4 4WD. When i asked about the missing S4+ 4WD variant in the price list they said that the S4 with 4WD is the S4+ 4WD variant. So i asked them the price of S4+ (without 4WD) which is not listed in price sheet either and they replied that there is no S4+ variant without 4WD.

In short according to them:
1) S4 variant is there
2) S4 4WD is there which according to them is S4+ 4WD
3) There is no S4+ variant without 4WD.
  • ^^ Is the above true?
  • Also S4 4WD in black has a long waiting period of 3 months. Is it true?
  • Anyone know whether the infamous clutch slave cylinder issue was addressed in this model?
  • Is Eaton MLD installation possible in this new model?
  • How much of a difference in fuel efficiency is there between 2WD and 4WD variants?

Last edited by Sankar : 7th March 2015 at 14:22.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2015, 14:33   #227
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I went to the Mahindra Showroom today to enquire about the new Scorpio. I went to ask about the S4+ variant with 4WD.

The price sheet (dated Jan 10, 2015) i got from them has no mention of the S4+ variant but the list has S4 and S4 4WD. When i asked about the missing S4+ 4WD variant in the price list they said that the S4 with 4WD is the S4+ 4WD variant. So i asked them the price of S4+ (without 4WD) which is not listed in price sheet either and they replied that there is no S4+ variant without 4WD.

In short according to them:
1) S4 variant is there
2) S4 4WD is there which according to them is S4+ 4WD
3) There is no S4+ variant without 4WD.
  • ^^ Is the above true?
  • Also S4 4WD in black has a long waiting period of 3 months. Is it true?
  • Anyone know whether the infamous clutch slave cylinder issue was addressed in this model?
  • Is Eaton MLD installation possible in this new model?
What they are saying is right. I checked Kerala prices. It has the S4, S4+ and S4+ 4WD.

S4 - 9,38,472
S4+ - 9,80,413
S4+ 4WD - 10,94,611

Link Show them this and in the meanwhile, shoot an e-mail to M&M if they don't get what you say. I think if you say, you want an S4, which has airbags/ABS and a 4WD should work in making them understand.

I had to wait 45 days from order date to transit. Black, S10, 4WD

I am keeping my fingers crossed as far as slave cylinder issue goes. Have done close to 3,000 kms and not a thing has gone wrong or worked itself loose. Yesterday, I was trying to lower the co-passenger window to hear what my friend was saying from outside (he was guiding me at a tricky maneuver) only to find nothing happening. My heart sank thinking M&M's famous electronic glitches has caught up, but that bugger had already lowered it prior to getting out and checking it.

And MLD? weren't this meant to be a family tourer [Like my 4WD] I see you are going all out.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2015, 15:37   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
What they are saying is right. I checked Kerala prices. It has the S4, S4+ and S4+ 4WD.

S4 - 9,38,472
S4+ - 9,80,413
S4+ 4WD - 10,94,611

Link Show them this and in the meanwhile, shoot an e-mail to M&M if they don't get what you say. I think if you say, you want an S4, which has airbags/ABS and a 4WD should work in making them understand.
They're saying there is no S4+ without 4WD option. I'll try what you said, i'll ask about S4 with Airbag and ABS The price list they have is probably outdated.
Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review-image-34.jpg

Quote:
I had to wait 45 days from order date to transit. Black, S10, 4WD
They're saying 90 days for transit, looking at black only because the bumpers are going to come unpainted in S4/S4+.

Quote:
I am keeping my fingers crossed as far as slave cylinder issue goes. Have done close to 3,000 kms and not a thing has gone wrong or worked itself loose.
Hope it stays that way! Fingers crossed! The video review posted in the previous page said the "clutch action is now light". So when i heard him say "now" it had me thinking whether there was any change in the clutch system and hopefully a resolution to the clutch slave cylinder issue.

Quote:
Yesterday, I was trying to lower the co-passenger window to hear what my friend was saying from outside (he was guiding me at a tricky maneuver) only to find nothing happening. My heart sank thinking M&M's famous electronic glitches has caught up, but that bugger had already lowered it prior to getting out and checking it.

Quote:
And MLD? weren't this meant to be a family tourer [Like my 4WD] I see you are going all out.
It will be family tourer. With the MLD the 2WD itself will be a lot more capable. I am saying this with reference to the MLD video posted by 1100D in his Marengo ownership thread.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2015, 18:12   #229
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
They're saying there is no S4+ without 4WD option. I'll try what you said, i'll ask about S4 with Airbag and ABS The price list they have is probably outdated.
It will be family tourer. With the MLD the 2WD itself will be a lot more capable. I am saying this with reference to the MLD video posted by 1100D in his Marengo ownership thread.
There is the S4+ with out 4WD option. At least, this is what Mahindra Scorpio website says.

I believe, once an order is put, things might start moving.

I am new to the 4WD arena so don't know if a MLD can be fitted on a 2WD Scorpio. Plus, what would the difference be, which would be better between both? 4WD or 2WD with MLD.

4WD will have more sorted dynamics, that I can assure you.
Old 7th March 2015, 21:16   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is the S4+ with out 4WD option. At least, this is what Mahindra Scorpio website says.

I believe, once an order is put, things might start moving.
Yes there is and there is a revised price list also, got this info from Cochin dealer.

Quote:
I am new to the 4WD arena so don't know if a MLD can be fitted on a 2WD Scorpio. Plus, what would the difference be, which would be better between both? 4WD or 2WD with MLD.
I do not strictly need a 4WD, but i would like to get out of tricky situations that might i get into with my new found mobility in a Scorp- high GC and tough build. A scorp with 2wd open diff will go nowhere if one wheel starts spinning it goes from 2WD to 0WD and i have no offroading skills and i will be stuck. With an MLD if one wheel starts spinning the diff would lock and send power to both wheels, and if one of those wheels have traction i will have 1WD and a better chance to get out.

Quote:
4WD will have more sorted dynamics, that I can assure you.
I know, I have been following your ownership report and 1100D's.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 00:43   #231
BANNED

Quote:

.......I am new to the 4WD arena so don't know if a MLD can be fitted on a 2WD Scorpio. Plus, what would the difference be, which would be better between both? 4WD or 2WD with MLD...........
There is no reason why the Eaton MLD cannot befitted to a 2WD (RWD) Scorpio. It would make a major difference if you are caught with one driven wheel on dry tarmac and the other (left or right) wheel on slippery mud / ice... I had it happen to my Scorpio enroute to Mukteswar from Naukuchiatal and an MLD would have saved me the embarassment of gunning the engine without any corresponding forward movement!
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2015, 00:26   #232
Senior - BHPian

The gearbox itself on the new car is different, its a lift from the Xylo and we do not have the clutch issue reports on Xylo.

Quote:

Hope it stays that way! Fingers crossed! The video review posted in the previous page said the "clutch action is now light". So when i heard him say "now" it had me thinking whether there was any change in the clutch system and hopefully a resolution to the clutch slave cylinder issue.
It does make a difference fitting an MLD to a 2WD, but how much of a percentage improvement, is debateable. On a 2WD, for MLD to save the day, one will need coincidence of one of the rear wheels having traction. There are situations where it has helped.

But on the otherhand, there are situations where even with 4wd engaged and locks at both ends, you might not be able to move! Chances are, that with every passing month, one will start exploring further and further till getting stuck will become a habit!!

Quote:
It will be family tourer. With the MLD the 2WD itself will be a lot more capable.
Quote:
I do not strictly need a 4WD, but i would like to get out of tricky situations that might i get into with my new found mobility in a Scorp- high GC and tough build. A scorp with 2wd open diff will go nowhere if one wheel starts spinning it goes from 2WD to 0WD and i have no offroading skills and i will be stuck. With an MLD if one wheel starts spinning the diff would lock and send power to both wheels, and if one of those wheels have traction i will have 1WD and a better chance to get out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
There is no reason why the Eaton MLD cannot befitted to a 2WD (RWD) Scorpio. It would make a major difference if you are caught with one driven wheel on dry tarmac and the other (left or right) wheel on slippery mud / ice... I had it happen to my Scorpio enroute to Mukteswar from Naukuchiatal and an MLD would have saved me the embarassment of gunning the engine without any corresponding forward movement!

However, I am bringing up a point, I think is pertinent, Mahindra should make the rear wash wipe standard on 4X4 Scorpio's irrespective of variants. 4X4 scorps are more likely to visit slushy terrain, wherein, the rear screen simply gets soiled too frequently.

On my Marengo, the rear wiper is very frequently used, especially during the monsoons, infact I shudder to think the plight of owners of other Scorpio's who have a similar usage to mine but no rear wash wipe.

Attaching a picture to make my point clear (without the rear wiper, I would have to clean that rear screen thrice every day on my Ladakh trip)

Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review-10397024_10152471646401838_2808813596851909821_o.jpg
1100D is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th March 2015, 11:58   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
The gearbox itself on the new car is different, its a lift from the Xylo and we do not have the clutch issue reports on Xylo.
Great! This is good news One of my major worries about the Scorp was this!!

Quote:
It does make a difference fitting an MLD to a 2WD, but how much of a percentage improvement, is debateable. On a 2WD, for MLD to save the day, one will need coincidence of one of the rear wheels having traction. There are situations where it has helped.

But on the otherhand, there are situations where even with 4wd engaged and locks at both ends, you might not be able to move! Chances are, that with every passing month, one will start exploring further and further till getting stuck will become a habit!!
True. Now if i install the MLD i hope i do not become overconfident and take it some place and get stuck I enquired about MLD at the showroom but they don't have much idea. I will need to find some one technical at the dealership to ask about this.

Quote:
However, I am bringing up a point, I think is pertinent, Mahindra should make the rear wash wipe standard on 4X4 Scorpio's irrespective of variants. 4X4 scorps are more likely to visit slushy terrain, wherein, the rear screen simply gets soiled too frequently.

On my Marengo, the rear wiper is very frequently used, especially during the monsoons, infact I shudder to think the plight of owners of other Scorpio's who have a similar usage to mine but no rear wash wipe.

Attaching a picture to make my point clear (without the rear wiper, I would have to clean that rear screen thrice every day on my Ladakh trip)

Attachment 1348120
I will ask them if it would be possible to install the top variant's rear wash and wipe as from their workshop after taking delivery.

I took a test drive of the Scorpio yesterday. Coming from a jap hatch i found the clutch action too long as if there was some excess play. The action itself is soft but felt kind of mushy. I tried the XUV's clutch it felt much better with a short action (but not as soft as Scorp's) and had a positive return action. Im only talking about the clutch because my clutch leg has a problem the clutch is the main bother when changing vehicles and on some vehicles its a pain.
Old 10th March 2015, 12:10   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I enquired about MLD at the showroom but they don't have much idea.
Showroom is not the place to ask for MLD, they won't even have a clue. Even the workshop wouldn't relate to you, you'll have to give them the part number and order it through them and then ask them to fit it in.

Quote:
I will ask them if it would be possible to install the top variant's rear wash and wipe as from their workshop after taking delivery.
Not a simple upgrade it seems, because the washer motor, the wiring all are different, besides the nozzle is housed in the rear spoiler. Too many components to change.

Quote:
I took a test drive of the Scorpio yesterday. Coming from a jap hatch i found the clutch action too long as if there was some excess play. The action itself is soft but felt kind of mushy. I tried the XUV's clutch it felt much better with a short action (but not as soft as Scorp's) and had a positive return action. Im only talking about the clutch because my clutch leg has a problem the clutch is the main bother when changing vehicles and on some vehicles its a pain.
Clutch on Scorpio is different from XUV500. It has infact lightened up in the new scorpio compared to the older one.

However, if 4x4 is not a requirement, XUV could also be an alternative you could look at, besides the Xylo (which has the same clutch though) having seen quite a few suspension upgrades and with an mHawk engine, it presents a solid case over the 4x2 Scorpio given its brilliant space packaging (only negative is the look of it)
1100D is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2015, 12:23   #235
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra simply doesn't want to sell a Scorpio! Maybe i should phrase it Mahindra dealer TVS Iyengar simply doesn't want to sell a Scorpio!

I have been to the showroom twice and both times i had to wait for close to 1 hour and return without getting all the information i wanted. The second time when i went there after the TD i needed the following information to confirm booking - 1) final pricing, 2) offers & discounts, 3) availability of certain colours, 4) waiting period.

I didn't get the requested info. Why? There was only one sales exectuve who could give details about the scorpio and he was not there. I was told he would be there after 430pm. I went there after 5pm and waited almost an hour.

TVS is still stuck in early nineties and thats the attitude they have. Its not just me others in our group had similar things to say about them.

They were prompt in giving me the test drive, they came at the time promised, i took the TD and after the TD they presented me with a coffee mug and took a photo of mine receiving the same. They said the photo is for Mahindra. I guess mahindra's way to ensure they are producing enough sales leads for the new Scorpio.

To me it felt like they were more interested in giving out TDs and mugs and clicking photos because thats more fun than finalising a deal across a table.
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2015, 12:48   #236
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Mahindra simply doesn't want to sell a Scorpio! Maybe i should phrase it Mahindra dealer TVS Iyengar simply doesn't want to sell a Scorpio!

To me it felt like they were more interested in giving out TDs and mugs and clicking photos because thats more fun than finalising a deal across a table.
LOL. Why don't e-mail Mahindra? How is their service near your place?

I was at the dealership yesterday & I know, an e-mail (a grievance) gets them very worried.
Old 11th March 2015, 13:46   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
LOL. Why don't e-mail Mahindra? How is their service near your place?

I was at the dealership yesterday & I know, an e-mail (a grievance) gets them very worried.
No positive reviews about TVS Iyengar in Tvm and Cochin and they're the only people for Mahindra in TVM. Cochin has two Mahindra dealers, the other being KTC. Here in my city they seem happy with Govt and institutional sales.

Can you give me the email address to write to? I have been thinking about doing the same.
Old 11th March 2015, 15:10   #238
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Can you give me the email address to write to? I have been thinking about doing the same.
customercare@mahindra.com
It will come to Area Manager with a copy to the concerned dealer.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2015, 20:41   #239
BHPian

Any info when are they coming up with an Auto tranny? Also if it would be available in s8 as well along with top of the line variant?
Old 11th March 2015, 21:03   #240
BHPian

As per my ownership, the clutch action vary with the vehicle load. It is pretty smooth with light load, fully loaded the smoothness diminishes. Not sure if it's only me who has this observation.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks